Options
2»

Comments

• Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I like this thread ^_^
    I honestly have zero respect for you guys who'd keep the money, and I'll be sure to remember all your names for the future.

This kind of transaction is a zero sum game. Since we have no habit of refunds in game, asking for one amounts to one of two things:

- Person says no; no point in asking, and you probably just made them feel bad for no reason.
    - Person says yes, which means that they're extraordinarily nice. To this extraordinarily nice person, you have brought bad news and probably dampened their mood. If it is a transaction of equal value, you would be saving yourself resale time by sticking it onto this nice person, even though you made the mistake. If you found that you overpaid for it, you would be making this nice person give up the extra money--that s/he was probably happy to have earned- to fix your mistake.

Personally, I would cause as little grief as possible and get over it. My loss probably made someone very happy, and it's not even a big deal. So alternately, I don't like people who would take advantage of a kind person. Even if both parties were strangers, with no self interest, I would tell the seller to refuse the refund. People need to feel responsible for their own actions.

tl;dr People live by different standards. Don't be so judgmental.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    That's a hard one.

On one hand, if it was truly an honest mistake I would probably be nice and buy it back,

BUT

I rarely trust random strangers in-game so I wouldn't want to buy it back unless I was sure he wasn't just trying to dupe me.

So, probably not. I guess I'm just a bit jaded now when it comes to people online, and it's not that distrusting everyone is a good thing to do, but he could just sell it himself and I wouldn't have to waste my time worrying if he was trying to pull a fast one. This kind of decision is what people who have tried to be nice in the past and got burned tend to think about.
  • ExELFine - Heavens Tear
    ExELFine - Heavens Tear Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    These "mis-buyings" happen all the time. It happened to me a while back, I bought a weapon and after trying it on, realized it was not the one I really wanted. So I resold it.

Not sure if it was from a catshop or the Auction House... hey, wait a second here... Catshop... Auction House... doesn't that beg the question? Ok, here it is:

Would the Auction House re-buy an item because I made a mistake???

We all know the answer... so:

Why should we expect a catshop vendor to act differently than the Auction House, esp when the catshop takes absolutely no fees for selling?

So I guess the best answer was given by the poster who suggested that if you do buy back the weapon, give him back 1.5 million instead of the 2 millions he paid. Next time he will pay more attention and that way, you will feel compensated for the loss of time you encountered.
    [SIGPIC]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/dart2005/PWI/july05.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Crafting:
    Tailor: lev 7
    Blacksmith: lev 6
    Craftsman: lev 6
    Apothicary: lev 5
    SEMI to 7/8 RETIRED, not from PW but from PWI :)
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    But now on the other, 2 million in coin is involved. You could say "**** it" to your kindness and choose wealth instead. Lets face it, if someone made an honest mistake with no money involved you'd help them, not rub it in their faces and punish them for it.

I honestly have zero respect for you guys who'd keep the money, and I'll be sure to remember all your names for the future.
    I'd give him his money back out of courtesy, but if somebody else didn't I don't think it really says all that much about them morally.

I say this because if I was the one who had mis-bought the item, I wouldn't feel right about asking for my money back. I'd feel it was my mistake and so I should have to be the one to go through the inconvenience of reselling it, not the other guy. After all, he DID have his shop set up, but by me buying the item and then asking for my money back I'd have taken away any chance he would have had to have sold it to somebody else during that time.

So going by the Golden Rule of treating others the way I would expect them to treat me, I'd say it's a moral coin-flip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    These "mis-buyings" happen all the time. It happened to me a while back, I bought a weapon and after trying it on, realized it was not the one I really wanted. So I resold it.

True, happened to me once too. Bought an awesome 3* might ring in AH with something like +4vit,+4vit+2vit.... until I realized too late it was actually a magic ring.
    Happens, ended up giving it to my gf as a present for her veno so turned out well in the end.

And ok mebbe I'm going a bit far on having "zero respect". Just my opinion and everyone else is entitled to theirs.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    All sales final for me b:chuckle especially if its a expensive item, moreso because i expect them to LOOK at the item before making such a expensive buy. Also the fact that they have a second chance. Selling it on their own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Foxgrit - Lost City
    Foxgrit - Lost City Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I like this thread ^_^

Says a heck of a lot about you as a human being depending on what you'd do here.
    On the one hand, the guy made a simple honest mistake and any kind person would pity them and help them. But now on the other, 2 million in coin is involved. You could say "**** it" to your kindness and choose wealth instead. Lets face it, if someone made an honest mistake with no money involved you'd help them, not rub it in their faces and punish them for it.

what kind of crack are you smoking? this is not a "simple honest mistake." i cant see how anyone could make a mistake and buy a totally different weapon than the one he wanted unless he was selling both kinds. if not then its just plain stupidity. they can turn around and sell it just as easily as he can buy it back and sell it again. not his fault that someone is either illiterate or a complete moron.
  • Xgrinch - Dreamweaver
    Xgrinch - Dreamweaver Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yeap, I'd give money back.
    I have refunded people buying something they didn't need. Also has happened to me and I got my money back.
    Hey, not all of us are 100% 24/7 aware geniuses with perfect English.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yeap, I'd give money back.
    I have refunded people buying something they didn't need. Also has happened to me and I got my money back.
    Hey, not all of us are 100% 24/7 aware geniuses with perfect English.

That is cool, and respect to you for doing that. Myself, I am not as inclined to believe someone 'accidentally' paid 2 million coin for something. If I am getting ready to pay 2 million coin for something, I CHECK to see if what I am buying is actually what I am expecting it to be (to many icons in PWI are identical not to do this).

if English isn't your native language then it can be more difficult sometimes. Granted and in some case I might even do the same as you, but for most of them. I won't.

~Saitada
  • sefis
    sefis Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I think it really is situational. If the item was badly priced, then it would make sense. I mean, if you sold the item for say 200k or 20k by accident, wouldn't you want the item back? Or the reverse could be true (at least for the buyer). Also, I think the way that they asked would be important.

But mistakes do happen. For example, I sometimes grab an item and hit the buy button in one motion and accidentally grab the item next to it (the item I intended to buy). Yeah, I should look and wait before hitting buy, but when you have people telling you to hurry up or you have to rush to the bus stop, you sometimes don't have time to pause.

But anyways, I think everyone will have their own way of doing things. I would personally be pretty torn, but I'd at least give a partial refund. After all, there could've been someone else that wanted one during the time that they had it, but now doesn't anymore because they found a different seller. Thus, one less potential customer and potentially longer time needed to sell the item. Usually 1-10% or 10-100k is reasonable fee (Actual stores tend to use more set prices like one store nearby has a 10 USD restocking fee for specific goods (slightly expensive ones) and a percentage fee for cheaper goods)

Just remember that while kind people tend to get burned (I do all the time, but I accept that since my goal is for everyone else to enjoy the game), what goes around comes around.
  • ahdi
    ahdi Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Fact:
    1. Seller made no mistake.
    2. Buyer made mistake, or claim to have made a mistake.
    3. Buyer asked for complete refund of purchase price of 2kk
    4. Mistake have been made & either the buyer/seller or both will or may lose something from this.
    5. If the Seller choose to refund the weap for 2kk, then the seller will lose something from this. The seller will lose time & what could be used with the money. What could be used may be profit from investment or the enjoyment of an item from its purchase or chance to buy an item at a saving or considerable saving if it is available.
    6. If the Seller choose to not refund, the seller may be discomforted from the feeling of guilt & may lose future opportunity from the buyer, such as invites to squade, future purchases, possible gains from friendship etc.

A selfish person but even an unselfish person may choose to argue that the buyer made 2 mistake. 1st is the mistake of buying the wrong item and 2nd is the asking for a complete refund of 2kk. As mistake have been made and one or two party will lose something from this, the expectation of the seller to make full refund of 2kk is unfare as the buyer is clearly passing on the burden from his mistake to the seller who has made no mistake. A simple solution or a more reasonable request would be to ask the seller to refund the weap at a discounted price so that the burden of the mistake is compensated for for the seller.

On the other hand, a nice person would probably except and refund the full 2kk without question. Although such people may seem to lose out here in this case, I believe that these people may gain more or less in their life directly or indirectly for having such characteristics. I'm guessing that possible gain such people receive may be in the form of how they may attract and bond better with people or certain people. Nevertheless, I personally think that nice people or any other seller should be protected from lose by expecting the buyer to at least compensate the seller with their mistake, with no less than a discounted refund of say 1.85kk

The purpose of my post though is this.
    1. We all make mistake.
    2. Paying for the mistake on our own can be costly.
    3. Sometime others can compliment us, where they gain from the mistakes and our cost of making the mistake may then be kept to a min.

*seems i over look the fact that the buyer ask for a refund an hour or less after the purchase. In that case, the seller isn't really losing anything or much while the buyer stand to lose a lot so i would give the full refund in this case.
  • $exi - Sanctuary
    $exi - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I remembered reading this thread when something happened to me today.

Yesterday I went on a TT run with a certain LVL 101 cleric. At the end she surprised me by not giving me any of the mats, and that she was going to sell everything and give me the money when they sell. I told her that I'm not used to this since I don't know her. She explained that she's used to doing it this way.

I have the screenshots for the conversation, the drops, pretty much everything that's relevant in case something happens, since I have now almost 20 people that SAY they'll split the sales, but never do.

Today I got 3 mails from her. I read the first and enclosed was money from a sale. The second said don't open the first. The third says I gave you 21.5 million instead of 2.15 million. She wanted it back.

I sent her a mail with 19.35 million in it but her mailbox was full. And yes, screenshoted everything. I pm-ed her, she was online. I told her what I tried to do. Then I messaged her with the same thing. She was online but AFK I guess.

I waited until I have to sleep now, and no answer from her.

So the question is, what would you do?

EDIT: update, just spoke with her and surprised her by sending her the money haha.
    b:tired
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I remembered reading this thread when something happened to me today.

Yesterday I went on a TT run with a certain LVL 101 cleric. At the end she surprised me by not giving me any of the mats, and that she was going to sell everything and give me the money when they sell. I told her that I'm not used to this since I don't know her. She explained that she's used to doing it this way.

I have the screenshots for the conversation, the drops, pretty much everything that's relevant in case something happens, since I have now almost 20 people that SAY they'll split the sales, but never do.

Today I got 3 mails from her. I read the first and enclosed was money from a sale. The second said don't open the first. The third says I gave you 21.5 million instead of 2.15 million. She wanted it back.

I sent her a mail with 19.35 million in it but her mailbox was full. And yes, screenshoted everything. I pm-ed her, she was online. I told her what I tried to do. Then I messaged her with the same thing. She was online but AFK I guess.

I waited until I have to sleep now, and no answer from her.

So the question is, what would you do?

well she did uphold her end of the original bargain which be to mail teh profits of the sale to you. (she didn't rip you off on this now yesh?)
    so just wait until tomorrow and send her teh extra mistake monies back.

also....anti necro spell activated.
    Necro Necro Necro Necro
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Now the necros are happening in rapid succession... Are we trying to test the GMs tonight or something?
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yay, thread necro!

People need to stop grave digging threads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    is this frankierayes first test?b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|