Seeking answers and suggestions...

Options
ClassySassy - Sanctuary
ClassySassy - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Archer
Okay, so I made this archer alt a couple days ago, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I've already got 7% crit and that makes me laugh pretty hard, and I like being forced to use the skills properly to keep a mob from hitting me until it dies.

I also noticed the infamous archer missing scandal. 99% accuracy and misses 3-5x in a row? Kinda....not right lol.

My questions are mostly involving skills. I am using a pure dex build, 1 str 4 dex per level, and I don't have any plans to change that.

Knockback arrow...worth maxing or should I leave it at level 1? I notice the damage increases but the knockback distance does not. The extra damage in any attack is helpful, but perhaps this should be saved until later on when I have more spirit to spare.

Same question for Frost Arrow...except that this skill increases the amount of time the enemy is slowed as it levels up, which could make it worth leveling.

I already know that vicious arrow, the poison one, is total ****, so no question there that stays at level 1.

I also have one question for pvp. Maxing thunder shock seems like a really good idea as a combo with other metal attacks against HA users, but I've had a few archers tell me I don't need to max it. Didn't sound right to me and I thought maybe they just don't know much about pvp, since it is a pve server. Thoughts on maxing this skill?
Post edited by ClassySassy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Mizore_P - Sanctuary
    Mizore_P - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Knockback=the extra damage you get by leveling isnt really that much,and it has low mp cost so its good at lvl1

Frost Arrow=really your choice,if youre going for pvp then idk..maybe leave it at lvl1?but for pve i lvled it a few lvls since its ussualy the opener

thundershock=im not an expert on pvp,ask someone else :P
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    frost is your best PvE opener for the slow. Therefore maxing it is good for longer slow time (and more damage in a sense, same reason i maxed KB arrow at 86)

Thundershock is really important for PvP for the metal debuff to let your other metals do more damage. You need the 3 metals you have for HA users. only uses in PvE are for letting clerics do more damage, close range tanking(for those archers that like to tank, need more DPS)/fighting, or you're on a wood mob who take a significant amount more damage from thundershock. Mana burn from it isnt worth it in PvE besides that.
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    This is what I have:-

Knockback Arrow -> lvl1 (This is more than enough)

Frost Arrow -> I am keeping it at max after all the other important skills (Passives, Metal Skills, Winged Blessing). The damage and reduced movement speed in combination with a knockback works pretty well. In case of ranged mobs, it gives you a little more time till they get into the range.

Thundershock -> Well I prefer to keep this maxed as much as possible (again after the bow and range masteries, winged shell, etc) since I usually use this just before a lightning strike (which is also maxed). Pretty useful against Wood mobs and tougher mobs (mini-bosses, elites, bosses etc). Among all my skills, at present, these two (Thundershock + Lightning Strike) are the most damaging. Also they dont seem to suffer any ranged penalties so useful against targets which managed to get close.
  • Alacol - Sanctuary
    Alacol - Sanctuary Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I'd leave KB Arrow around 4 or 5 or so. I figure the extra damage isn't that great, but with the main goal being to finish off your enemies quickly, it can't hurt to have.

Frost Arrow is a great opener, both for PVE/PVP if you ask me. It may not do massive damage, but gives you enough time to let out a few regular shots, or charge whatever else you'd want to use in that time.

I've never once PK'ed, so I'll withhold my opinion on Maxing Thundershock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Switching over to Dreamweaver. See you Dreamweavers soon.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Okay, so I made this archer alt a couple days ago, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I've already got 7% crit and that makes me laugh pretty hard, and I like being forced to use the skills properly to keep a mob from hitting me until it dies.

I also noticed the infamous archer missing scandal. 99% accuracy and misses 3-5x in a row? Kinda....not right lol.

My questions are mostly involving skills. I am using a pure dex build, 1 str 4 dex per level, and I don't have any plans to change that.

Knockback arrow...worth maxing or should I leave it at level 1? I notice the damage increases but the knockback distance does not. The extra damage in any attack is helpful, but perhaps this should be saved until later on when I have more spirit to spare.

Same question for Frost Arrow...except that this skill increases the amount of time the enemy is slowed as it levels up, which could make it worth leveling.

I already know that vicious arrow, the poison one, is total ****, so no question there that stays at level 1.

I also have one question for pvp. Maxing thunder shock seems like a really good idea as a combo with other metal attacks against HA users, but I've had a few archers tell me I don't need to max it. Didn't sound right to me and I thought maybe they just don't know much about pvp, since it is a pve server. Thoughts on maxing this skill?

For mana efficiency, don't level knockback (i.e leave it at lv1). You'll thank me and the few others on this thread at later levels when grinding becomes more dominant.

Frost arrow is a personal preference. General consensus is to take frost to max level when you can. I spent my spirit on winged shell because I could not kill mobs before they reached me even with frost at low levels so I compensated by using shell to shrug off the damage taken. Shell also regenerates mana at the expense of chi. Do note, if the shell breaks, you do not recoup the remaining mana "ticks". I see frost more useful around the 40s-70s range. However, it becomes obsolete at mid 80s or so.

The 3 metal skills are our only way (save some other absurd skills, namely eagleon) of dealing decent damage to HA users (and LA clerics) but I wouldn't worry about the 3 metal attacks until you have free spirit around lv60 or so (do level stun before these 3 metal attacks btw). If you plan to pvp earlier, reroll on a pvp server. You won't find much action at lvl 30 white name PvPs in Sanctuary.

edit: added quote and restructured some awkward sentences.
  • ClassySassy - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I believe it's been said enough and I will leave knockback arrow at level 1. I think I will continue leveling frost and the metal attacks as I can, putting preference on skills like winged blessing and bow mastery.

I know pk'ing won't happen much in the earlier levels because it's a pve server, but as this is an alt and I've been around for ages on sanctuary I can't bring myself to switch to a different server. I'll just have to wait until I'm a higher level with this character. I've really been enjoying the archer, so I want to keep working with it.

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free, I'm always up for learning what I can.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I believe it's been said enough and I will leave knockback arrow at level 1. I think I will continue leveling frost and the metal attacks as I can, putting preference on skills like winged blessing and bow mastery.

I know pk'ing won't happen much in the earlier levels because it's a pve server, but as this is an alt and I've been around for ages on sanctuary I can't bring myself to switch to a different server. I'll just have to wait until I'm a higher level with this character. I've really been enjoying the archer, so I want to keep working with it.

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free, I'm always up for learning what I can.

I am still against the idea of leveling the metal skills that early. Generally you should just level until ~60s before starting white name PvP but don't let me stop you from PvPing at 30 if you really feel strongly about it.

My recommendation would be:
    (High Priority)
    Bow Mastery
    Winged Blessing
    Winged Shell
    Frost Arrow
    Blazing Arrow

Then:
    (Medium Priority)
    Stun Arrow
    Sharptooth
    Aim Low
    3x Metal skills

edit: in no particular order under each category.
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I am still against the idea of leveling the metal skills that early. Generally you should just level until ~60s before starting white name PvP but don't let me stop you from PvPing at 30 if you really feel strongly about it.

(High Priority)
    Bow Mastery
    Winged Blessing
    Winged Shell
    Frost Arrow
    Blazing Arrow

Then:
    (Medium Priority)
    Stun Arrow
    Sharptooth
    Aim Low
    3x Metal skills

edit: in no particular order under each category.

I only recently aquired aim low, but I already love it. Your list is pretty much what I was thinking with one exception....winged shell? I haven't really used this skill at all so far, does it come into play more in future pve? It's pvp advantages are pretty obvious, but since, like you said, I won't be doing that really until later on....
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I am not sure how many archers hunt, but as for me I use Winged Shell pretty often against ranged phy/mag attackers and a few melee guys (increased life/increase def) mobs which tend to close in the distance.

Also it helps regain mana faster (If you do not wish to bust a lot of mp pots like I do for day to day grinding)

@Legerity
    Umm just a thought, isnt Sharptooth a lvl49 skill? Also is it given more priority than deadly shot? I was thinking of deadly shot since the damage output is more and would be a good opener followed by either frost or aim low. Just a clarification here.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    deadly shot is **** in pve-only play because it uses so much mana; the reason you max sharptooth is because it is useful on bosses
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Dang I busted 47k on lvl1 deadly shot :(. Anyways I guess I will max sharptooth first and then go for deadly shot. Thanks a lot for the clarification.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I only recently aquired aim low, but I already love it. Your list is pretty much what I was thinking with one exception....winged shell? I haven't really used this skill at all so far, does it come into play more in future pve? It's pvp advantages are pretty obvious, but since, like you said, I won't be doing that really until later on....

Winged shell is useful for both PvE and PvP. However Shell becomes obsolete (to an extent) at later levels due to a stagnant absorption amount that does not change with character levels or HP.

It will be useful to level this because it gives mana back and also absorbs incoming damage (good for grinding as it allows perpetual mana grind sessions that minimise expenses). Learn to use it and love it because it will save you lots of mana in the long run. If you're not fussed about coins then don't bother with this until later, especially if you're double charmed.

However, I still stand by Winged Shell being an invaluable skill to have. When you use it correctly, you can buy time in squad play when things go wrong. Or you can prevent dying when you get aggro on a boss because it prevents being one shot. (There are a handful of bosses that do damage regardless and to negate it, you must spark or use grace...but that's a discussion for a different topic)
    I am not sure how many archers hunt, but as for me I use Winged Shell pretty often against ranged phy/mag attackers and a few melee guys (increased life/increase def) mobs which tend to close in the distance.

Also it helps regain mana faster (If you do not wish to bust a lot of mp pots like I do for day to day grinding)

@Legerity
    Umm just a thought, isnt Sharptooth a lvl49 skill? Also is it given more priority than deadly shot? I was thinking of deadly shot since the damage output is more and would be a good opener followed by either frost or aim low. Just a clarification here.

Yes it's a skill for lv49s. I was just pointing out skills worthy of priorisiting as an Archer. Don't worry too much about the 1 level in deadly shot becuase you need it for barrage at 59 :)

Deadly Shot isn't a bad skill, but it's very expensive to level and a waste of spirit for PvE play. And like Quilue mentioned, the mana consumption is insane.

Sharp is much more important for PvE play. For PvP, deadly shot becomes obsolete in the 80s and Sharp doesn't shine until the 90s.
  • RipHeart - Sanctuary
    RipHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful input. Can I get some views on the skill Wings of Protection. I've seen a few posts that say it's worth training in later level. Thanks in advance for your help

Ripheart
    I an death, come with me!
    edited October 2009
    Options
    *cough* some thread hijacking going on here. ^^^^^is not my char.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    As long as you level the ones you are supposed to level, it doesn't really matter which order you do them in.

Follow the Archer Starter Mini, and you'll be fine.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    As long as you level the ones you are supposed to level, it doesn't really matter which order you do them in.

Follow the Archer Starter Mini, and you'll be fine.

Have to say that's true. After I hit 59, I think, I had maxed all the core skills: Winged Shell, Winged Blessing, Frost Arrow, Blazing Arrow. I started wondering and I ended up not leveling anything for quite a while. Then I started to level Sharpened Tooth Arrow, Aim Low and Stunning Arrow. It's a bit tough now that each of them costs upwards or around 200,000 coins per level, but it's been worth it.

Personally, I use Stunning Arrow as a starter if I have no Chi, but I also like using it with mobs that have Increased Defense, Increased Speed or Increased Life. Aim Low has use if there's a tough melee range mob as the duration allows some good kiting.

Sharpened Tooth Arrow is trivial.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Squeakz - Heavens Tear
    Squeakz - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    just gonna add onto what she said ^^

* = importance, more *s are more important
    try to save spirit for the ***s. if youve got extra try to get some levels for the **s. Remember most skills are on x4 and x9 levels while stun is on x1 and x6.

(High Priority)
    Bow Mastery - more dmg***
    Winged Blessing - more evasion + buff lasts longer**
    Winged Shell - mp regen/saves your butt on mobs. good for use vs hp/def mobs***
    Frost Arrow - BEST opener. i used take aim from 1-60 and switched to frost 10 at about 61. wish i had done it sooner...***
    Blazing Arrow - more dmg***

Then:
    (Medium Priority)
    Stun Arrow - req at about 55+ for grinding... best skill in this category**
    Sharptooth - reqs 85 for max. this skill is VERY EXPENSIVE i would leave it at 1 till 80 or so for use in TTs/bosses...*
    Aim Low - level stun first youll use stun arrow more since it doenst req 1 spark + aimlow has a 90% chance to work already while stun starts at 40% and goes up per lvl**

low priority:
    metal skills
    close range knockback skill
    close range damage skill thing
    (these skills are mainly used for TW/PVPers)

your combos should be...
    for normal mobs: frost arrow -> normal -> normal -> knockback -> normal till dead
    for hp/def mobs : frost -> normal -> normal -> knockback -> aim low -> normal -> normal -> stun arrow -> normal till dead

(you want to use aim low first because some mobs are ranged and aim low just freezes them in place. If you use it on them when they are afar they mostly wont be able to attack. After use stun arrow since if the stun works the mob does nothing for 3 seconds no matter how close they are to you...)

just gonna add onto what she said ^^
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Winged Blessing - more evasion + buff lasts longer**
    Winged Shell - mp regen/saves your butt on mobs. good for use vs hp/def mobs***

Firstly, you're confusing Winged Blessing with Wings of Protection. Winged Blessing is a passive skill that adds range, Wings of Protection is a buff that adds evasion and movement speed.

Personally, I haven't found myself using Winged Shell outside of getting attacked by multiple mobs, but I suppose that would be due to using Wind and the Clouds, most mobs die before they get a single hit in.
    Sharptooth - reqs 85 for max. this skill is VERY EXPENSIVE i would leave it at 1 till 80 or so for use in TTs/bosses...*
    Aim Low - level stun first youll use stun arrow more since it doenst req 1 spark + aimlow has a 90% chance to work already while stun starts at 40% and goes up per lvl**

Sharpened Tooth Arrow, even at the lower levels, is extremely useful against higher level bosses that have life in the millions. Say you have 10% reduction against a boss with 1,000,000 life, that's 100,000 damage in one hit. Kinda hard to top that with almost anything. Also, other than Sharpened Tooth Arrow, the only thing you get to do on bosses is normal attacks coupled with the occasional spark.

As for Aim Low, the spark is not a problem at all. Most of the time, I run around with two sparks just because I don't need to use the other skills on normal mobs. And quite honestly, Aim Low is a life saver against some Oracle mobs that have melee range. And it makes any melee range mob a joke.
    for normal mobs: frost arrow -> normal -> normal -> knockback -> normal till dead
    for hp/def mobs : frost -> normal -> normal -> knockback -> aim low -> normal -> normal -> stun arrow -> normal till dead

I have to disagree on the latter. It's a huge waste of MP and Chi. Also, using Aim Low after Knockback tends to lock all magic mobs just within their range, so it effectively does nothing. Also, if you need to use Aim Low, Knockback Arrow and Stun Arrow on one mob, you're doing something wrong.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Winged Shell is a bit of a preference really as I never used it while grinding. I tended to save the chi for spark or barrage to grind faster (mp is cheaper than chi and XP).

This is a good combo for mini bosses too. If you can get a fast enough weapon you can effectively lock down a mob with aim low stun and knockback over and over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    This is a good combo for mini bosses too. If you can get a fast enough weapon you can effectively lock down a mob with aim low stun and knockback over and over.

especially if u has a archer friend wit u like qui right? :3
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty