How to play the game without cash (PvE)

2»

Comments

• Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Is there any reason, why most of you leveling so fast ?

I saw level 70 Blademaster without even single gem in his ** and *** armor.

On my 33 level I have already all ** goods to get smith, tailor and craftsman skills of 4th level, 2 gems of 7 level for my armor, weapon and ornaments for some levels up to 50.

P.S.
    Please remember, that it is game only. Nobody will hurt your hero even if tomorrow he will be one level less than other players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    You are grinding so many mobs that the statistical chances of you getting good drops and those rare documents is much higher.

Lets say a 6% channeling ring has a 0.1% chance of dropping.
    At level 80+ the one man quests have you kill 80 mobs. If you run those for 6 hours, at 15 minutes each, you would have killed 1920 mobs in those 6 hours.
    Since the chance to drop the item is 0.1% that means 1 in 1000 kills. There you go, after your 6 hours there is a chance you got that 6% ring.

Note I am using those numbers as an example, I have no clue what the real drop rates are and do not feel like looking it up.

Nivastok Shieldbearers are what I kill while grinding envoys, my second choice is Etherocelot Guard as they have great mats around them. Celestial Specters make a good third choice. On a shieldbearer you're looking at about a 1/200k chance of getting a ring with channeling. With 80 kills per envoy that's about 1/2500 envoys, but there's other good drops too on them, 10 actually so really your chance is 1/10 of that to see a good item so you can call it a 1/250 chance of getting something really good on an envoy. If you do them habitually you'll see a good item about once every two weeks.
    On my barb - i did free zen offers to get the 5 gold for the hammer, and a few extra for some mana and hp charms. 5 minutes to make 252 free zen is nothing. How fast do you make that much IRL money or ingame coin? Probably longer.

252 zen=$2.52, if you actually made that in 5 minutes which I doubt since that isn't the 5 gold you're claiming (to say nothing of the extra), not to mention the time to complete the offers and check all the find print... oh and finding the offer in the first place, $2.52 in 5 minutes equals $30.24/hour in pay or $62899/year at 40 hours/week.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    "how to play.............."

this is like:
    "how to lose 15 pounds in a week"*
    "how to gain 15 pounds of muscle in a week"*

there are many "how to" things that make everything posible. The real issue IMO is "how to play the game without cash and have fun along the way"

I mean, if playing PWI was a job, I would have no objection with any "how to play".

Myself, I dont find much fun playing without charms, I dont like meditating, I dont like slow levelling either (So, when I play I do all my quests including CS), I don't like to grind for the entire day for coins and exps.

So, My "how to" has to be based on all that b:laugh

All that is posible, at least for me when gold was cheap.

*All these "how to" fail at some point as they are not fun in the long term or they simply dont work for most people. Usually you have to get your own solution based on several things that you have tried.
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    PS. inb4zoeQQ

wahahahaha I lol'd b:laugh
  • iceknave
    iceknave Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Diversify.... it is smart to do that in RL, and in-game.

Your niche will go away, but 5 more will open.
    Already have partially done that to little use, moving away from my primary niche of pet food seller via grinded drops/buying low, selling high to a more diversified portfolio of goods. I'm not high enough to do TT yet (and from what I've heard so far, the TT market isn't really great either...).

Pet Food Market
    Supply Side Status: Pretty much dead because Anni Packs gives tokens which can be exchanged for cookies which are a better deal for your coin.
    Demand Side Status: Down because high price of gold means less people wanting to buy battle pet packs for the stuff to get a herc/nix.

Equipment/Molds
    Very unstable for profit as it can take significant amounts of time just to move 1 item and prices aren't as fixed as other items and it can be more of a want to have rather than a need to have.

Shard
    Supply Side Status: Very high supply due to Anni Packs giving tokens to be exchanged for gems.
    Demand: About the same as before, but due to the higher supply, demand is probably higher, but not enough to counter the effect of much higher supply.

No idea how long it'll take before shard prices go back up to around the npc prices (ie, flawless for closer to 900k per rather than the 200k per or so now because of the much higher supply).

Potion
    Just recently starting selling potions that I get as drops and surprisingly, they sell pretty fast, though getting a big enough supply is another issue.

Rare Pet Eggs:
    Unreliable as a source of profit as it's not so much a need as a want to buy.

The only two major markets I haven't really touched yet is materials and cash shop items since I don't really understand the market for materials or cash shop items yet (and how to sell anything with the seemingly high competition) and for cash shop items, the cost is much higher than what I currently have to spare for market operations.

Any advice about possible other markets I should look into and/or other general advice about playing the market?
    Induction ID (Doomsbog): 3080068X031808024008351Z3f4d22
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Lol...not all of us get that option for the free zen offers. Only americans do duh. Its not really International.

Me being in Australia, my free offers page has only 3 free things on it:

126 zen, in *hours*
    16 zen, in minutes
    95 zen, in *hours*

Only 2 of those are near 1 gold, and they take hours to do. The only one that can be done quickly gets you 0.16 gold...no thanks.

Speaking of that..Ive done a few gold offers a few months ago..and still haven'r received anything..even though it says zen was rewarded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    iceknave wrote: »
    The only two major markets I haven't really touched yet is materials and cash shop items since I don't really understand the market for materials or cash shop items yet (and how to sell anything with the seemingly high competition) and for cash shop items, the cost is much higher than what I currently have to spare for market operations.

Any advice about possible other markets I should look into and/or other general advice about playing the market?

I swear, the only thing people do on DW for money is mats. 7k for the 89/99 wine mats, 5.5k often for the 69/79 mats (though occasionally they're selling at 4.5 lately from increased supply), 5k-7k each on sub mats (112k subs, if you want a decent supply of them), and so on. There's not really anything to get about them, they're a magical overpriced money tree.
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I swear, the only thing people do on DW for money is mats. 7k for the 89/99 wine mats, 5.5k often for the 69/79 mats (though occasionally they're selling at 4.5 lately from increased supply), 5k-7k each on sub mats (112k subs, if you want a decent supply of them), and so on. There's not really anything to get about them, they're a magical overpriced money tree.

Hey I've put the 69/79 mats in the auction house several times for 3,500 each in bundles of 100 50 and 25. I NEVER sold even one bundle of 25 so I sold to the catshop thats sells them for 5,500, for 3500 coins, and I didnt have to take the hit from the auction house fees. I just sell them there now.
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • NecroKitty - Harshlands
    NecroKitty - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    So OP's advice is to grind alot and not do dailies. The OP's advice might make perfect sense for a lvl 90+ veno like himself. For other classes and levels, the advice is at best silly and simplistic, and at worst, just plain horrible. Quite fankly, in my opinion, it leans toward the horrible end.

Did you really not do any Crazy Stone Quest or World Quest? Did you really follow your own goofey advice you proclaim other should do? b:shutup
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    So OP's advice is to grind alot and not do dailies. The OP's advice might make perfect sense for a lvl 90+ veno like himself. For other classes and levels, the advice is at best silly and simplistic, and at worst, just plain horrible. Quite fankly, in my opinion, it leans toward the horrible end.

Did you really not do any Crazy Stone Quest or World Quest? Did you really follow your own goofey advice you proclaim other should do? b:shutup

I wouldn't be so hard on tweakz advice I followed it at level 72 for one level this was the result here http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=384161

I PM him/her for more advice but never got a reply I am glad he made this post. Of course he just said to not do CrazyStone and worldquest (bh was not implemented yet I believe), I thought of the one-man-army thing myself.

It should work at all levels. I did almost all of my quests alone and I did not have to grind to reach the next level until level 64. I missed alot of quests and did very few with friends so if I had done all of them myself I would not have had to grind to level until 66 probably. (I still have not done dragon of the depths, and never did FB29 lol). So If you do your quests yourself then you wont need to apply this until you are in your 60s.

It works. Most would find it mind numbingly boring however.

Tell you what, I think I just offended eatwithspoons on another thread for flinging mud around at PWE's direction, so if I dont get banned, I will do this for ONE level and show my results. I bet I will have enough to buy at least 2 pieces of TT90 armour at todays over inflated prices....ON Dreamweaver the economical crisis of the world (the perfect world). this Will prove this mans claims are true

see you soon...hopefully
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Sticking to it could be overkill. I Like to have some rare skills for my common pets, multiple higher level tomes, and some flexibility to do other things. I can afford charms, but don't see the point in them. The most important thing to do is skip on the dailies. People complain that they are boring, while with OMA: you're actually playing. People also spend hours gambling. With each kill: you have a chance at winning something.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Grinding my entire level and not doing daily quests is the reason I have as much stuff as I do now. I even got all my gear to +4 simply by grinding.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Xvn - Heavens Tear
    Xvn - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    not to troll but , Zoe , dont you play 12+ hours a day?
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited October 2009

I have nothing to hide, I often do yes. Not much anymore though I have a lot of college work to do so I'm not on nearly as much. I know tweakz is not on for nearly that long and is also able to afford all the same stuff by playing the same way.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Weild - Sanctuary
    Weild - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Okay, a very interesting thread. I hated the use of the abbreviations but I was able to figure out most of them. WQ= world quest OMA = on man army CS= crazy stone BH = Bounty Hunter I don't get TT or QQ.

I have a couple of questions.

I wonder if you are storing any of the drops or do you sell everything the moment you fill your bags?

If you have increased your inventory, bank, cupboard or wardrobe without spending cash, how did you do it? Where did you go? What did you kill to get the stones you needed?

TT = Twilight Temple And I will keep reading. Still hate the abbreviation jargon but....
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    TT is twilight temple, QQ is 'crying' (it's a kind of insane smiley) FQ is 'friendship quest', in case that one comes up.

And I for one have done crazy stone once to see what it was. It's a thing that consumes coins to give XP? No thank you.

I did do a lot of one-man-army at lower levels (at least partly because I'd not realised it was a special quest - I think I managed to get to 25 having done each and every one of them)

Personally I like running the bounty hunter quests. Exceptionally good experience, and lots of drops - which are sometimes worth real coin.
  • malixdark
    malixdark Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I only just started farming all the herbs I see, and I actually can't believe I've been nub enough to have ignored them in the past during grinding ^^

Most of them sell instantly in arch for 1k+, there are usually shops all around the apoths buying them. Even more, if you have the skill you can manufacture high level and useful pots and powders which you can sell on at even greater profit.
    If you've been like me and ignored herbs up till now, then I'd recommend farming. I even made 100k recently on my 1x alt selling nectar i farmed mid-questing. :p

I've also noticed picking up all the coin I get pays repairs + a little more. Still surprises me when I see people ignore coin. Seriously, hotkey pickup.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I'm back to Bounty Hunter, not because I want XP. Because I've used charms and guardian angels in the past: I'm low on SP! The drops were good when it started, which is why I'd solo clear an instance for them. Not sure about now though. The guide could probably be summed up in: 'focus on coin rather than xp'. OMA is just something every class can do.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited October 2009

to troll.... LOL.

12+ hours a day? get a life omg..
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.