An Archer idea.

archanel
archanel Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Archer
Greetings. This is my first thread so please be gentle.

I have seen how a lot of people play their archers and very much didn't like the hp addiction that seems to be going on with lvl50+ archers.

I had an idea on how to continue my build and i want your thoughts.

My toon is currently at level 49 and I have purchased a lot of 3 socket armor for levels 50-60 so I can be ready when I get there. The thing is, I have tried to avoid all the boosts players usually try to put into vitality and hp and instead went for a different approach.
I want most of my gear to give me bonuses to evasion, witch should work quite fine in combination with some skill evasion boosts (Wings of Protection). I know that hp=/=evasion but still I think that it gives my character a more "archery" feel instead of trying to turn him into a tank with lots of hp.

A while back I noticed that most "coin/mp efficient" pure dex archers try to keep their combos as simple as possible. I want to change that with my archer. Instead of a pure build i will be putting a few points into magic every 3-4 levels until I get my magic up to round 10-15. Besides that I want my armor to give me a plus to magic to increase the effect. All that fiddling around will give me a better mp pool/regeneration and allow me to remain mp efficient even thou I will use more skills in my combos (more dps).

I hope I explained my intentions clearly.

I'm not sure if all this will give me a good result but I think that an archer would feel more like one with this approach.

Any suggestions and thoughts about my idea are very welcome.

Thank you .
Post edited by archanel on

Comments

• _Krue_ - Heavens Tear
    _Krue_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    As a matter of fact, you will not be doing more Dps using more mana draining combos compared to a pure dex archers dps.

Not only are you killing off extra dex by throwing it into magic (and possibly vit) thus lowering your dps. But a pure dex archer will have no problem doing the exact same "combos" or skills as you will. They just might need to use a few extra potions to keep up over time.

Personally i think your "Build" Isn't a smart idea.

Now to your socketing amour. Your evasion idea is neat. Whatever makes you feel better about your archer. But in the long run, monsters ARE going to hit you. So having higher HP/Phys def stones in your gear just makes more sense to me. But its your choice.

~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಸ_ಸ ~~ Drama-Sauce-Face, 50% ownership to kon ♥♥
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    One of the best archers I know has 25 VIT 20 MAG XX STR (for equips) and XXX DEX. =3 He used to hang out with some of the best PvPers on the HT server. Due to a recent incident with his computer, he cannot play for a while. His chara is only L48, but that's because I have been doing the dailies for him (when I remember to).

If/when you cann afford them, I would recommend charms. =) 1. It will protect you from a stray hit that lands on you if a mob is ranged or gets too close. 2. It keeps your mana from dropping and you shouldn't eat an MP charm faster than the caster classes do (unless you're doing zhens). I'd also recommend talking to the highest leveled/PvP Archers on your server. I'm trying to get the courage to do that with some of the Venos and Clerics on my server since I find them both impressive and intimidating.
  • archanel
    edited October 2009
    As a matter of fact, you will not be doing more Dps using more mana draining combos compared to a pure dex archers dps.

Not only are you killing off extra dex by throwing it into magic (and possibly vit) thus lowering your dps. But a pure dex archer will have no problem doing the exact same "combos" or skills as you will. They just might need to use a few extra potions to keep up over time.
    ~

On the magic note. I do not intend to put more than 10 on magic. The rest I want to gain from equipment. And getting hit should be compensated with the evasion / Winged Shell.
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Many players are fond of using Citrine shards to make up for points they don't put into Vit, along with refining for extra HP.
  • archanel
    edited October 2009
    I know that hp is useful and good. But archers are supposed to be "squishy". By trying to bypass that other aspects (eg. combos, evasion) are a little bit neglected.
  • Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    archanel wrote: »
    On the magic note. I do not intend to put more than 10 on magic. The rest I want to gain from equipment. And getting hit should be compensated with the evasion / Winged Shell.

The big reason why people prefer sharding HP instead of evasion on any characters(not just archers) is because while HP can cover both magic and physical damages, evasion covers only physical with a chance to make your target miss, but you inconveniently still take full damage from magic with no chance whatsoever of evading it. That's why it's always better to shard you armor with HP shards instead of just physical or magic to guard against one but still take full damage on the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
  • archanel
    edited October 2009
    The big reason why people prefer sharding HP instead of evasion on any characters(not just archers) is because while HP can cover both magic and physical damages, evasion covers only physical with a chance to make your target miss, but you inconveniently still take full damage from magic with no chance whatsoever of evading it. That's why it's always better to shard you armor with HP shards instead of just physical or magic to guard against one but still take full damage on the other.

A very good point.

Do you have any idea on how to minimize magic damage except for hp improvements? (eg. equipment suggestions)
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Agreed, because you seem to be going more the pure dex route, your evasion/accuracy will already be very high. The str you add for equipment will give you a little more in the physical defense department, but 10 MAG will not save you when a nuke falls on your head, whether it's from another player or a mob, it's going to hurt.

Sapphire Shards = Magic Defense
    Citrines = HP
    Garnet = Physial Defense

Or buy really good equipment that has really good magic resistances.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Greetings. This is my first thread so please be gentle.

I have seen how a lot of people play their archers and very much didn't like the hp addiction that seems to be going on with lvl50+ archers.

I had an idea on how to continue my build and i want your thoughts.

My toon is currently at level 49 and I have purchased a lot of 3 socket armor for levels 50-60 so I can be ready when I get there. The thing is, I have tried to avoid all the boosts players usually try to put into vitality and hp and instead went for a different approach.
    I want most of my gear to give me bonuses to evasion, witch should work quite fine in combination with some skill evasion boosts (Wings of Protection). I know that hp=/=evasion but still I think that it gives my character a more "archery" feel instead of trying to turn him into a tank with lots of hp.

A while back I noticed that most "coin/mp efficient" pure dex archers try to keep their combos as simple as possible. I want to change that with my archer. Instead of a pure build i will be putting a few points into magic every 3-4 levels until I get my magic up to round 10-15. Besides that I want my armor to give me a plus to magic to increase the effect. All that fiddling around will give me a better mp pool/regeneration and allow me to remain mp efficient even thou I will use more skills in my combos (more dps).

I hope I explained my intentions clearly.

I'm not sure if all this will give me a good result but I think that an archer would feel more like one with this approach.

Any suggestions and thoughts about my idea are very welcome.

Thank you .

Archers don't get a lot of Mp from adding magic so they idea is really dumb. Only clerics and wizards gets a nice mp-boost from adding magic <.<

You will get like 100 more MP from adding 10 magic or so. That wont even cover 1 skill. And is also means loosing 10 dex which means u will kill stuff slower. Archers skills are not boosted by adding magic, its only dex that makes them do more dmg.

Just use a mp helmet or gear with mp mods/ mp shards in it if you wanna use more skills and save mp pots, it gives far more mana that **** up your entire build by adding magic b:chuckle.
  • ColdSteele - Lost City
    ColdSteele - Lost City Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    One of the best archers I know has 25 VIT 20 MAG XX STR (for equips) and XXX DEX. =3 He used to hang out with some of the best PvPers on the HT server. Due to a recent incident with his computer, he cannot play for a while. His chara is only L48, but that's because I have been doing the dailies for him (when I remember to).

If/when you cann afford them, I would recommend charms. =) 1. It will protect you from a stray hit that lands on you if a mob is ranged or gets too close. 2. It keeps your mana from dropping and you shouldn't eat an MP charm faster than the caster classes do (unless you're doing zhens). I'd also recommend talking to the highest leveled/PvP Archers on your server. I'm trying to get the courage to do that with some of the Venos and Clerics on my server since I find them both impressive and intimidating.

At the same time that is coming from a pve server. it's like saying the best of the worst pvpers
    It's too bad but "free to play, pay to win"-sckye

These "updates" are seeming more and more like downgrades.

aryannamage: Not PWE GM's they are all greedy b:angry
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    The best are the best reguardless of the server. If you're going to be nub about it then fine, make a chara on every server and ask each one what their build is like. If you're happy with your server and the style of play in it, then just ask ones on that server. You're asking the top players on your server that should be enough. Of course, there are also plenty of good players that aren't ranked in the top 50.
  • archanel
    edited October 2009
    Archers don't get a lot of Mp from adding magic so they idea is really dumb. Only clerics and wizards gets a nice mp-boost from adding magic <.<

You will get like 100 more MP from adding 10 magic or so. That wont even cover 1 skill. And is also means loosing 10 dex which means u will kill stuff slower. Archers skills are not boosted by adding magic, its only dex that makes them do more dmg.

Just use a mp helmet or gear with mp mods/ mp shards in it if you wanna use more skills and save mp pots, it gives far more mana that **** up your entire build by adding magic b:chuckle.

So it might be better to get my magic boosts just from equipment?

The boost is not so much because of the MP I might get but more in favor of mp regeneration.

I'm trying to work with what feels best for me. Besides that I want to give it at least some improvement aside from the generic watered down versions of archers I see walking around and boasting with their PvP prows. I have nothing against the standard approach. HP is good and all. All I want to do is give it a personal touch but remain somewhat efficient.

To get the server question out of the world, I play on Dreamweaver... and I don't intend on going into PK mode.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009

The boost is not so much because of the MP I might get but more in favor of mp regeneration.

I'm trying to work with what feels best for me. Besides that I want to give it at least some improvement aside from the generic watered down versions of archers I see walking around and boasting with their PvP prows. I have nothing against the standard approach. HP is good and all. All I want to do is give it a personal touch but remain somewhat efficient.

Adding a bit of mana regen won't solve anything, especially since you could just manufacture apothecary potions to get a much better effect.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2009

To get the server question out of the world, I play on Dreamweaver... and I don't intend on going into PK mode.

Why are you so obsessed with magic? Go reroll a wizard because they hit harder and survive better in the end and also get more out of magic. Archer PvE is all about normal attacks so having a larger mp pool won't do anything.

Minimise magic damage? Winged shell. Or alternatively, get as much dex and -interval as possible and kill the mob before it hits you. Archer defenses are really bad no matter how good your gear is.

Evasion stones isn't a very good idea. You said no PK (assume also no PvP) so you're going evasion just for PvE. Evasion like someone pointed out works only on physical mobs (with a chance of course so not guaranteed) which about no mobs are after 60. And if they are physical mobs, they have way too much hp to be an efficient grinding mob, unless again you go as much dex and -interval possible.

So conclusion?

Archer PvE = Dex and -Interval. HP comes from stones and refines. Everything else is a gimmick IMO.
  • SashaSlick - Sanctuary
    SashaSlick - Sanctuary Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Archer PvE = Dex and -Interval. HP comes from stones and refines. Everything else is a gimmick IMO.

LoL.. this is the only reply i think is the most clear thing you should do to your archer. Not saying the rest are bad.
    But i wana add 1 more thing... Make sure you have enough strength for your armor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited October 2009

I think you're missing the point lol

Magic - the stat point- if its on gear or added in your build, does nothing for archers. Or the mp+ mana recovery + magic defense you get from adding magic is so insignificant, you will barely notice it. Different classes gains different boots from magic points basically. For archers, Bm and barbs its wasted cuz it does shiet for them.

So if u want more mp regen, use gear with mana recovery.

If you want bigger mp pool, use a mp helmet or gear with mp

If you want more magic defense, get magic defense belt + necklace and refine it

Using gear with magic points on it wont do much for u.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    An archer starts with MP regeneration of 1MP/s. If you want 2MP/s you need 20 Magic. Way too much. Just find a cape or hat or something with a +4 MP/s mod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • SashaSlick - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    An archer starts with MP regeneration of 1MP/s. If you want 2MP/s you need 20 Magic. Way too much. Just find a cape or hat or something with a +4 MP/s mod.

WoW!!!! didnt know that!
    I learn someting new today..... Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Caldaster - Lost City
    Caldaster - Lost City Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    On a similar note ..... @ lvl 80+ u gonna grind on water mobs a lot (undines and fish ) ... these are magic mobs & for this situation i used pure water def gear (sharded with water def shards & magic def of armor had just water def) which helped for the aforementioned mobs.

I also had hh80 which i used otherwise. ( got killed a lot during PVP while on water armor b:chuckle).

I had @ max with buff almost 8k water def but with low hp. So u can try out such style according the mob u are grinding on. But make sure the investment is worth it.

But as all said, the best to shard on regular use gear is Citrine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Poor thing ... lucky me b:victory
  • jinels
    jinels Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    what does archers really need? Vit, Str, Mag, or Dex? plus how do u make your archer strong adding points to these. sorry i dont know anything about archers i just started playing.[/I][/I][/B]
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    jinels wrote: »
    what does archers really need? Vit, Str, Mag, or Dex? plus how do u make your archer strong adding points to these. sorry i dont know anything about archers i just started playing.[/I][/I][/B]

Archers gain:

str: nothing worth mentioning but you might want to stat enough for light armor (level+4).

dex: increase in ranged damage, evasion, accuracy and 1/20th of a critical percentile

vit: some small base resists, 13hp per stat point in vit, 1/20th hp a second regen

mag: increase in mana pool, 1/20th mp a second regen

As for what's the most useful, I'll let you decide there. Also do note, increasing magic does not make our metal attacks stronger. That is based on our physical damage.

edit: there are other small bonuses that aren't too important so I had left them out.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    One thing to add that hasn't been stated yet: An archer's highest DPS comes from normal attacks, so using longer combos while grinding tends to be a waste of time or a way to attempt to relieve boredom. It's why going AFK and using normal attacks on an archer in a boss fight can be a bad idea compared to setting up a macro that basically has you spam a bunch of skills.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    At the same time that is coming from a pve server. it's like saying the best of the worst pvpers
    The best are the best reguardless of the server. If you're going to be nub about it then fine, make a chara on every server and ask each one what their build is like. If you're happy with your server and the style of play in it, then just ask ones on that server. You're asking the top players on your server that should be enough. Of course, there are also plenty of good players that aren't ranked in the top 50.

yar ColdSteele don't be mean like that. Me might just strike you down in a couple weeks or so from now if you continue like that. lol jk.
    (>.<)
    PvP = we're more skill at sudden unexpected battles against human opponents. But that doesn't mean just because PvE people fight only computer controlled monsters (99% of the time) they're bad at fighting.

Also @ OP I think it was mentioned here before. but Two Words which would get you past your evasion and leave your hurting/dead: "Magic Monsters"
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SokaSua - Lost City
    SokaSua - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    she's right <.<
  • SokaSua - Lost City
    SokaSua - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i ment legerityb:pleased
  • SashaSlick - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    PvE people fight only computer controlled monsters (99% of the time) they're bad at fighting.

Do you know that thers such thing as PK mode on PVE?
    That means player can kill other player on sight (provided that player must be on PK mode too)-- And i see alot of player on PK mode daily and alot of red named players too.

LoL about the mobs. There are bad at fighting ALL the time(100%).
    The only problem is wen they spawn back all over you and start attacking.
    That how most PVE players died, because they got ganged!
    And trust me, its hard to get away unless they missed you.
    Also @ OP I think it was mentioned here before. but Two Words which would get you past your evasion and leave your hurting/dead: "Magic Monsters"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]