Are Genies really necessary??

groark
groark Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I ask that because I have been reading the guides about genies and oh my god!! they are really complicated. I have been reading them a bit but I put them aside. Man! what is that?? You really have to study them. You get terms like enfusing, decomposing LOL, what is this? For a beginner like me this is REALLY, REALLY too much... and the name of that is "Guide for newbies"... they must be joking lol.

Anyway I would appreciate if someone could tell me if Genies are really necessary. Thank you :)
Post edited by groark on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Nope...you do not have to use them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Correct, they're not really necessary to gameplay, I honestly ignore them when I play low level alts unless I am making one for a specific purpose. You can always level one later once you feel that you have a better grip on the gameplay
  • groark
    edited October 2009
    That's a relief! Thank you. (I am going to delete that "bird" right away, lol)
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I got rid of mine and didn't get a new one until the patch came out that let you get exp from mobs/quests on a genie.

Since they only appeared with the new expansion, they weren't used before that and everyone got along just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • X_Desolate_X - Heavens Tear
    X_Desolate_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i know my genie has been useless to me so far b:chuckle
    i may consider using it once i can get holy path or some other skill that would make it worthwhile, but yeah....useless when i got it, useless to me now.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    IMO, Genies really do not tend to "shine" until maybe 8x and higher levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Soul_Thunder - Sanctuary
    Soul_Thunder - Sanctuary Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    genies are not necessary, but it does help.
    i gotta admit that i don't use genie all that much. the only skills that i found very helpful are tree of protection and holy path.
    tree of protection in particular has saved me a lot of pots and saved me heaps of times.
  • fiznik
    fiznik Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Far from necessary, genies can be a nice lil boost in a bind for added dps, or an extra heal to get you through. I use mine, but I'd recommend basing your playstyle on not using your genie, and keep it there as backup for when things start to go wrong:P Although if you're just starting out and find the whole genie thing confusing, just wait until you have a grasp on the rest of the game and forget genies even exist for now b:laugh
  • chesticles
    chesticles Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I use mine for a small heal if im getting ganked :p
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    groark wrote: »
    That's a relief! Thank you. (I am going to delete that "bird" right away, lol)

Don't delete it. Let it hover around you. The best way to level a genie (most efficient anyways) is to let it level with you. Keep it same level as you, and just ignore it till later.
    You don't ever 'need' genies but at higher levels they are helpful. If you try leveling one then, you will lose a lot of exp/SP/coin, since the greater the level difference between player and genie, the less exp they will absorb.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • groark
    edited October 2009
    Don't delete it. Let it hover around you. The best way to level a genie (most efficient anyways) is to let it level with you. Keep it same level as you, and just ignore it till later.
    You don't ever 'need' genies but at higher levels they are helpful. If you try leveling one then, you will lose a lot of exp/SP/coin, since the greater the level difference between player and genie, the less exp they will absorb.

Ok, but the genie is not the same level as me. I am lvl 18 and the genie 6. Besides since yesterday cannot cast the only spell she had (Venom Stinger); when I try, appears the message "Genie has low lvl hp" (??)
    So I thought it had to do maybe with that "Chi" thing so I read a lot and I try to decompose some armour at the blacksmith but he said that it had not fully endurance so I went to another NPC to make it full, I went back and he said "go to the tailor" so I went to the tailor but the tailor couldnt help me either lol. So I thought: thats enough man.... lol
  • Worship - Harshlands
    Worship - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Genies are really quite necessary for pking, mostly since if you dont use it your opponent will, and he will have an edge on you.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Genies are really quite necessary for pking, mostly since if you dont use it your opponent will, and he will have an edge on you.

This is not true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    This is not true.

you have no idea how many bms dropped due to a timely 100 dex thunderstorm.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    you have no idea how many bms dropped due to a timely 100 dex thunderstorm.

Yes can help, but SO NOT "necessary."

People act like Genies have been around forever and NO ONE could do anything without them b:chuckle

I liked PvP better before the Genies. They can help yes, but they are not necessary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Worship - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    umm... not necessary? I can destroy bms my lvl if they dont use genie... i get 1-2 shot if they have a genie with TE...
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    umm... not necessary? I can destroy bms my lvl if they dont use genie... i get 1-2 shot if they have a genie with TE...
    Believe it or not more than half of the pple grew up with no genie, no BH, no RB, and no stash box.

So yeah, genies are at the most optional, like are charms
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • PandaXpresss - Harshlands
    PandaXpresss - Harshlands Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Believe it or not more than half of the pple grew up with no genie, no BH, no RB, and no stash box.

Don't need a charm either, but I can tell you... It helps a lot. True many people have gone through the game without many of these things... But the most competitive have already learned how to utilize each new thing as it comes out.

Somewhat off but when computers first came out it was just a rich show off thing... now look at them
    edited October 2009
    Somewhat off but when computers first came out it was just a rich show off thing... now look at them
    they are STILL rich show off things...... :D ...lol
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Worship - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    Regardless if lots of people didnt have genies originally... it doesnt change the fact that I can be sometimes oneshot by a bm skill + true emptiness. (err if they use both at once = effectively oneshotted). I remember pk before genies, it was more simple..kinda nice, but competitive pkers have started utilizing genies therefore if I dont I will be destroyed. Lol true they are shiny toys.. but very necessary for pk. PvE they are not needed but sometimes skills like alpha male can help a lot.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Yes can help, but SO NOT "necessary."

People act like Genies have been around forever and NO ONE could do anything without them b:chuckle

I liked PvP better before the Genies. They can help yes, but they are not necessary.

nothing is really necessary. no one really "needs" refines, shards, or charms. but everyone with a decent level have refines and shards their gear. and pratically everyone of those ppl have on a charm.
    i am one of those who leveled up without genie/bh/rb/other ****. but the truth is, those items really changed the game play. some of the genie skills are even more powerful then player skills. even thou no one really needs them, they give you an edge that you can't afford to ignore.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

• FoxMizore - Sanctuary
    FoxMizore - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Heres my opinion.Genies are really helpfull.In pve if youre being ganked then you can use genies skills to run away or if there are 2 mobs attacking you and you can only deal with one at a time,then the genie skill Explosion can sometimes kill the other mob or get him to low hp,so its sometimes a life savour.
    edited October 2009
    nothing is really necessary. no one really "needs" refines, shards, or charms. but everyone with a decent level have refines and shards their gear. and pratically everyone of those ppl have on a charm.
    i am one of those who leveled up without genie/bh/rb/other ****. but the truth is, those items really changed the game play. some of the genie skills are even more powerful then player skills. even thou no one really needs them, they give you an edge that you can't afford to ignore.
    Basically its not a NEED its a WANT.
  • Worship - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    If you WANT to play certain competitive aspects of this game..it is a NEED lol
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Basically its not a NEED its a WANT.

a lot of things are wants and not needs. no one needs a charm, refines, or shards. and yet we all have them. sooner or later wants will become needs (to stay competitive) when everyone else has them.

• Eternalnub - Heavens Tear
    Eternalnub - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    no genies are not needed...i havent use mine after lvl89...im prolly too old to learn use million skills i have probs with current ones cuz too many buttons :D
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If you WANT to play certain competitive aspects of this game..it is a NEED lol

Which competitive aspect is that?
    b:puzzled

lol if your talking about PvP I get by just fine without a genie (Sutra combo *kills bm/archers/sometimes venos & cleric?* if they ain't dead then I apoth potion the heck out of there and then take to the air. (But I am working on a genie that will have holypath and I guess some sort of anti stun for future uses.)
    b:victory
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Worship - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    Sigh Mr. SirHamsta you will feel my great pain and let out a wail of QQ when a guy drops on you with roar of pride, dragons to TE.... though you are right in IMO physical classes benefit more from genies, for us casters I have found occult ice and holy path are a great counter ><
  • HealHamsta - Lost City
    HealHamsta - Lost City Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Sigh Mr. SirHamsta you will feel my great pain and let out a wail of QQ when a guy drops on you with roar of pride, dragons to TE.... though you are right in IMO physical classes benefit more from genies, for us casters I have found occult ice and holy path are a great counter ><

(O.o)
    me feel no pain from that.
    me suicide routinely on people level 80+
    just for fun.
    =D

Me wuved PvP servers ever the first PvP/PvE server choice mmorpg games me could play came out. (me tried em both)
    PvP servers were designed for hamsters like me. xD

But I will make sure to get a genie with holy path/ToP (ehh still looking for a replacement for ToP it kinda sucks for casters now) and I suppose cauterize?
    not sure about the 4th spell.
    mayhaps Occult ice or absolute domain or something else. (wind shield??)
  • Worship - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    lol many Hamstas! Yeah I suicide a lot on people 2 lol, though I really do want to win if they are around my lvl ><. Domain and Occult Ice are just hard to fit with other skills, and yeah cauterize is good i have heard... though I never got... If a nix hits me and i start bleeding I just assume im dead anyways... b:cry