Why cant barbs be DD

2»

Comments

• Thepope - Lost City
    Thepope - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    sooooo many bad ideas XD im not addressing them all specifically but here's my take on things. each class is designed to be good at something. bms are designed to be better dds than barbs. and they will be. barb gets more hp per vit than any other class and you would be wise to take advantage of that. you can shift some extra points to str and dex if you must but dont neglect your vit. for both pve and pvp a huge hp pool is desirable. personally, im very close to your standard tank build. i just use gear to boost my accuracy. im a good tank and i do very well in pvp. a barb built to dd in pve would do miserably poor in pvp. my advice if you want to deal more damage is to invest in refining a pair of calamitys when you hit 70. shifting your build to dd sounds like a terrible idea to me but if you can afford to restat a few times, experiment and let us know how it goes.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This silly debate still going on?

OK heres my take....

A BM and a barb might have the same physical attack with the same stats. But thats irrelevant. Any BM that just sits there auto attacking is a fail DD imho.

DDing is all about skills and in this area the BMs have barbs beat. Depending on BM type they can aoe, debuff, stun a lot better than a barb.

I will go so far as to say, if a party gets a second barb just to fill a spot, this second barb should not stay humanoid. Yes humanoid is more damage than tiger, but even your humanoid damage is nothing special. A barb is a much more useful in tigerform as a de-buffer than most people realise.

Devour = -50% pdef reduction (strongest in game). Its sustainable and other genie skills like tangling mire or impact will actually stack with that. Veno debuff wont so if you are doing this tell the veno to not cast her pdef debuff.

Frighten = -30% attack damage and speed and -50% speed. Great at bosses.

Alclarity = help the main tank cancel the bosses aoes and magical attack.

Those are mainly the skills you should be using as an assist/addon barb. Leave the DD to those classes with the skills for it.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • rapidbunny
    rapidbunny Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    My vote on topic:
    I'm with sticking to role based on skills not on stats soo DD on barb is good only when you are mid/high lvl and solo some low lvl fb's to low lvl friends lol you can't take all positives from your class if you adding stats without looking at skills. Barbs have shield skills, aggro skills and debuffs nothing really that make serious dmg except armageddon which actually depends on your hp/mp.

Off topic just to strighten some things I readed in here:

-True Form is the best to keep at lvl 1 for very long time, it DOESN'T add more def at higher lvls(like somebody wrote lol) and untill you need that 10-20% more hp just don't take it couse your dmg will DROP ALOT, that also means it's harder to keep aggro with lvl 2-3 true form couse all know how hard it to have enough spirit to keep ALL aggro skills maxed at lower/mid lvls soo decreasing dmg more is much worse than a little more hp. Also try to fight with barb on true form lvl 1 with maxed bonus def with any phys dmg class while they're both mid lvls and you'll see that keeping it at lvl 1 is also usefull at pvp=]. Same for grinding. Nice debuffs and still your dmg only decreses by 15%. Almost like demon barb.:O Aw forgot true form lvl 2-3 on lower lvls IS USEFULL... that is if you're a slave mount for your mistress=].

-Gear damn really seriously ppl should start wearing at least 3stars from 30 lvl when you can even buy rank eq >.< then look on AH for any 40 and up it's really cheap. 1 star and white? With such *****, you're a failure in every class =] maybe except veno, those shemales can at least lvl in such gear. Normally all your 1star whiters that wear it untill they can get their HH for free from guild are just a bother to any squad, both as an tank/dd or whatever, clerics have problem to heal you, you also make like half of dmg you could with better gear.

-Have problems with money on barb? Stop drinking potions while grinding, take some herbs to make +50 hp regen food same for mp if you want to kill very fast and in 3* gear you don't need a single potion.:O You'll triple your money that you spent on new good gear while doing next 10 lvls and then you can sell your previous gear.=] No guild here, first character in PWI, only 3*/legendary/hh gear + some fun unneeded things and no begging to get that=].
  • JOCKO - Harshlands
    JOCKO - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    what the hell is dd and can bb have genieand be of use. also can wehave pet or is that just for verm.
  • JOCKO - Harshlands
    JOCKO - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    one other thing what is tank
  • haxorr
    haxorr Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    DD is direct damage or other variants... It means you are focused on doing high damage. Barbs do OK damage, but we are not a DD class.

Tank means you are the meat shield. You are the one they throw in front of the boss mobs to absorb all damage. The tank pulls ALL agro from all mobs onto himself (usually), and then the cleric only has to heal one player in group. Everyone else focuses on crowd control or damage or pulling. Barbs get lots of +agro stuff and very high hps, which makes them the best tank class.

Haxorr,
    Dreamweaver.
  • Saveless - Harshlands
    Saveless - Harshlands Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Just let barbs do whatever they want. I'd stat to bowbarian if I didn't quit PWI.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This silly debate still going on?

OK heres my take....

A BM and a barb might have the same physical attack with the same stats. But thats irrelevant. Any BM that just sits there auto attacking is a fail DD imho.

DDing is all about skills and in this area the BMs have barbs beat. Depending on BM type they can aoe, debuff, stun a lot better than a barb.

I will go so far as to say, if a party gets a second barb just to fill a spot, this second barb should not stay humanoid. Yes humanoid is more damage than tiger, but even your humanoid damage is nothing special. A barb is a much more useful in tigerform as a de-buffer than most people realise.

Devour = -50% pdef reduction (strongest in game). Its sustainable and other genie skills like tangling mire or impact will actually stack with that. Veno debuff wont so if you are doing this tell the veno to not cast her pdef debuff.

Frighten = -30% attack damage and speed and -50% speed. Great at bosses.

Alclarity = help the main tank cancel the bosses aoes and magical attack.

Those are mainly the skills you should be using as an assist/addon barb. Leave the DD to those classes with the skills for it.

Yes your right, but that is useful for a squad though against one, as for grinding, and tanking easier bosses, humaniod form you can deal damage while tanking at the same time. Hence, argo control, in AOE, roar alone in tiger form is pretty hopeless, due to severe cooldown. So its best to switch every now and then in AOE to control easier and tanking (that is until alpha male right?) without alpha male, barbarians will have to use humanoid form AOE attacks and switch back to tiger and use tiger AOEs and flesh ream.

Barbarian's perdition is the most deadly skill ingame if it does hit. I heard pure VIT barbs destroyed LAs and AAs in 1 hit with that skill b:shocked if that's true then that is DDing even better than the rest of the classes, on top of that, insane damage on a mob (forgot the amount they said lol). Seriously can someone prove with screen shots in this debate?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • _Miku_ - Lost City
    _Miku_ - Lost City Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    By most deadly i wouldnt say perdition.
    Id say the mage ultimates are more feared because they do not miss, do massive damage.
    The perdition can outdamage the mage ultimates with a crit+zerk and stuff so its the hardest hitting skill but the mages do more constant higher damage (i think O.o)
  • Lycanthar - Sanctuary
    Lycanthar - Sanctuary Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I recently quit playing PWI on a regular basis and restated for the hell of it. I have 250~ STR and 160 DEX now, and its a lot of fun. Paired with 2x 2% crit rings, a passive demon skill that also lends 2% crit, and Calamity Axes the zerk crits come like clockwork. I also picked up some decent fists and bows for lulz.

You can restat to whatever you like, I know another 90+ barb with almost 400 STR that hits like a truck.

Just be aware that when you steal points from VIT you have to heavily upgrade your gear to recoupe the lost HP else your character will be ruined.

I also would not recommend a restat away from the classic tank build until lvl 90+.
    ==Sanctuary's Last Demon Barbarian== ... (lol strife)

Off through the new day's mist, I run
    Out from the new day's mist, I have come
    We shift, pulsing with the earth
    Company we keep, roaming the land while you sleep...
  • PandamoniumV - Sanctuary
    PandamoniumV - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have 9k hp at lvl 70, I am clearly tank build not DD. I whip out my calam axes and with underleveled humanoid skills start damaging as much as the 69 archer in my group. 7-11k without crits on skills. Even did a lucky crit zerk regular attack did 7k. I know that I cant spam skills and a BM with my axes could do better damage, but mine are for solo and lower lvl BHs n such. Gotta love a +4 pair of calams with immac acc and flawless +phys atk.b:victory Just remember as a barb you should be a tank first, I swap to my TT70 axes for most bosses and if things arent going well.

also...lycanthar do u really have 13% crit as a barb? thats crazy
  • Falcioni - Lost City
    Falcioni - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have 7800 now. ^^ woooo i dont feel threatened by gamma when i hit that lvl then. Just need to level up a skill or two and keep practicing tanking.

7800 thats with ur buffs also? O.o just wondering what ur vit is at cuz i was 70 and had 10k in tiger form .
    Big Bad Wolf? mhm i think so b:angry
  • Lycanthar - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    lycanthar do u really have 13% crit as a barb? thats crazy

15% actually.

160 dex = 9% base.
    2 crit rings (2% ea) = 13%
    Demon Shapeshifting Intesity = 15%

• Gabriil - Lost City
    Gabriil - Lost City Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    15% actually.

160 dex = 9% base.
    2 crit rings (2% ea) = 13%
    Demon Shapeshifting Intesity = 15%

Add a nice 1% crit lvl 1 arrow, remove the bow and let the arrow be, and you get and additional 1% crit. Ta da!
  • Lycanthar - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Add a nice 1% crit lvl 1 arrow, remove the bow and let the arrow be, and you get and additional 1% crit. Ta da!

GM's confirmed some time ago this does not work.

• Untamedchaos - Sanctuary
    Untamedchaos - Sanctuary Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Or you can be like me, DD AND tank. I have all human-form skills maxed, so when I KNOW I have aggro and nobody in the party will take it, I switch from tiger to human and DD away. This is referred to as the "pk build" because of relatively high hp and damage b:victory

HI LYCAN >:O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] With a .25x multiplier = 423520 regular

Booyah.
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I recently quit playing PWI on a regular basis and restated for the hell of it. I have 250~ STR and 160 DEX now, and its a lot of fun. Paired with 2x 2% crit rings, a passive demon skill that also lends 2% crit, and Calamity Axes the zerk crits come like clockwork. I also picked up some decent fists and bows for lulz.

You can restat to whatever you like, I know another 90+ barb with almost 400 STR that hits like a truck.

Just be aware that when you steal points from VIT you have to heavily upgrade your gear to recoupe the lost HP else your character will be ruined.

I also would not recommend a restat away from the classic tank build until lvl 90+.

This is actually close to the build I have at lvl 81 (150 vit, 256 str, 60 dex). I have rings that add +1% to crit with a natural crit rate of +5%. I also have calamity axes refined +3 (more refining to follow). With that combo, I can DD pretty well for a barb when solo grinding in upright, especially when berserk stacks with crits (18-19k dmg).

Even though I'm a hybrid, I do have the required tiger form skills (true form, shape shifting, flesh ream) maxed to their fullest for tanking duty's. I'm 700 hp short of 10k hp (in tiger form), and I do just fine for the insane bosses ppl like to throw at me. (just don't ask me to tank krimson, I kill myself XD)

I would say that being a hybrid build is one of the best ways to go if you do a lot of solo grinding/questing in pve. Just try to keep vit and str more even (don't up dex too much) or you're going to run into problems just staying alive.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die