Why cant barbs be DD

Devilz_Keyz - Heavens Tear
Devilz_Keyz - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Barbarian
like, cant we just add to str and dex like blade master and become a DD instead of having to be a tank? main reason cuz i joined PWI cuz of the unquieness of being a Were-Man.

But having to be restricted to a tank sucks so do we HAVE to become tank? wat if i do Become a DD ?
Post edited by Devilz_Keyz - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    you can I dont see why not. There is a ton of guys that do that. They dont like tanking and they dont like tiger form. There's actually a bunch now that I think about it. b:victory
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • Devilz_Keyz - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2009
    but y do so many people keep saying dis bull **** mane bout " FAIL IF NO TANK " i dunno wats da big fuss.
  • PandamoniumV - Sanctuary
    PandamoniumV - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    You can play whatever style you want. It's just convincing others that they should accept you to a party. I was in a group a week ago with a barb 2 levels higher than me with about 400 hp less than me. Also a barb 5 lvls lower with 2300 less hp than me 2 days ago was in my group. I completely understand the desire to want to DD as a barb. You just won't be as good of a tank and that is what people want you for. Try to find a group of friends or a faction that accepts you as a DD and then you're fine. If you get a static or faction no problem being a DD barb.
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    what pandamonium said. They cant use you like a tool as easy. You are an easier tool to be used by others if you are a tank. They might skip you for another.

For example Gamma squads like to demand 10k hp. I had no problem getting in with 7800. It dont matter. People will watch you play and if you are good they will call you regardless.

Whatever youre good at people will call you for. if you're good at FBs then they will call you for that. If you're good at RB they will call you for that. If youre good at zhenning they will call you for that. If you're good at grinding they will EVEN call you for that lol.
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
    edited September 2009
    dats wats up. props fo dat yall
  • PandamoniumV - Sanctuary
    PandamoniumV - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have 7800 now. ^^ woooo i dont feel threatened by gamma when i hit that lvl then. Just need to level up a skill or two and keep practicing tanking.
  • Wolfgore - Heavens Tear
    Wolfgore - Heavens Tear Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    ok...i got some free time atm so...

First of all define what DD means to you.
    i mean wtf? you wanna go to TTs and just auto attack the boss? b:shutup

A lot of ppl mix the pk builds with DD builds.
    DD build = Pumped up strength = More steady damage over time.
    To actually get a pure DD build, you will have minimum vitality.
    All other classes will be able to 3-4 shot you, since barb skills are NOT focused on such a build.
    Not to mention that the actual DD classes will still overdamage you by far.

Now the pk build for me is actually the Vitality build with a bit more dex.
    Why? Because you can 1 shot Arcane Armors with 1 skill.

Barbs favorite combo? HUGE amount of HP, tree or protection + Armageddon!
    No other class skill does that amount of damage b:victory

Tank build with the right gear is a win win situation!
    But uhh, bottom line is: This is just a game, expiriment and enjoy it as you like b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    barbs CAN DD

Why?
    Its because of the STR requirements on the latest axes and hammer is required a high number. The requirement points are 3.5 per level, having 1.5 free allocation points per, which is suggested for tank build. But hear this, leveled skills makes you grind even faster. You need 3 STR each level and 1 DEX every 2 levels.

The reason barbs don't DD probably because they are NOT using latest weapon. But neither do archers or BMs and they are DD class. Also a BM with fists kill slower than axe's skill spamming if both hit at same rate. So do not think about that ^^

If you want to do more damage in build rather than tanking.

Try a light armored hybrid build, 3 STR, 1 DEX, 1 VIT (people say its fail but you don't have to listen to them)
    You can hit more, meaning you wil kill faster, but still be able to tank even though you have less survivalbility than the tank barb. But you can tank magic bosses better than the tank barb.

If the light armored hybrid build isn't what you want
    Try 7 STR, 1 DEX, 2 VIT every 2 LVLs or another way you want

Just do not forget to add 1 VIT every LVL which barbs critically need (you need your perdition if you want to PVP) because a barb with low VIT means you'll only have a tough time at mid to high LVLs.

Now what might happen YOU HAVE to tank for that squad for bosses if there is no other tank around. People will need a tank and cleric. My advice.

Remember to have fun, if it helps out, glad i gave the advice b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Levoden - Heavens Tear
    Levoden - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Barbs can DD.
    Any class can DD...
    However, there are some classes that just do it better.

There's just no class that can tank better than a barb. They should be happy that they're always wanted.

Usually when some guy on WC asks for DDs, they usually take anyone (unless it's zhen).
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i dd all the time on bosses.... i love to afk and read my emails so my usual TT2-3 party says "**** you sticky -insert venos name here-, your tanking, whip out the herc!"
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dominatiger - Sanctuary
    Dominatiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I just have been hitted for a demon barb level 90... he deals 1K damage in tiger form, and hitted me for 4,5K
    Happy Sauce face

ಪ_ಪ
    Manufactured by Konariraiden
  • Levoden - Heavens Tear
    Levoden - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I just have been hitted for a demon barb level 90... he deals 1K damage in tiger form, and hitted me for 4,5K

Stop wearing arcane armor then.
  • Paigrande - Harshlands
    Paigrande - Harshlands Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Every class can DD BUT barbs werent made to DD and doesnt matter how much str u add it will never do dmg great enough to make it a DD, although barbs can kill other classes and if u jus add str and dex on your barb u need to put like +8 refinments on your gear at lvl90 so u can survive wizards nd other classes more... But full vitality barbs r prob:pleased
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
  • Paigrande - Harshlands
    edited September 2009

Im a sage barb and I hitted a 9x BM with 4k sumthing without crit or zerk... A sage barb hitted me for 5k( zerk) when i was lvl 84 with perdition although this ammount of dmg is really not that great to a barb.
    If you use Devour at lvl10 that decrease phy def by 50% and then you use a perdition you can hit for alot of dmg, if u use genies skills that decrease phy def u can do it too, if a BM or veno amp you can also do alot of dmg so there are alot of ways of hitting for more then 4k phy dmg on a heavy armour, u jus need the right combinations.
    (\__/)
    edited September 2009
    well i have 50 Vit, 110 ( or 15 ) str wit 20 Dex at lvl 33, is that failed?

also wats a sage barb?
  • Beatrixxx - Lost City
    Beatrixxx - Lost City Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    barbs CAN DD

Why?
    Its because of the STR requirements on the latest axes and hammer is required a high number. The requirement points are 3.5 per level, having 1.5 free allocation points per, which is suggested for tank build. But hear this, leveled skills makes you grind even faster. You need 3 STR each level and 1 DEX every 2 levels.

The reason barbs don't DD probably because they are NOT using latest weapon. But neither do archers or BMs and they are DD class. Also a BM with fists kill slower than axe's skill spamming if both hit at same rate. So do not think about that ^^

If you want to do more damage in build rather than tanking.

Try a light armored hybrid build, 3 STR, 1 DEX, 1 VIT (people say its fail but you don't have to listen to them)
    You can hit more, meaning you wil kill faster, but still be able to tank even though you have less survivalbility than the tank barb. But you can tank magic bosses better than the tank barb.

If the light armored hybrid build isn't what you want
    Try 7 STR, 1 DEX, 2 VIT every 2 LVLs or another way you want

Just do not forget to add 1 VIT every LVL which barbs critically need (you need your perdition if you want to PVP) because a barb with low VIT means you'll only have a tough time at mid to high LVLs.

Now what might happen YOU HAVE to tank for that squad for bosses if there is no other tank around. People will need a tank and cleric. My advice.

Remember to have fun, if it helps out, glad i gave the advice b:cool

problem with that is fists will NEVER hit as slow as ax spamming even without any -interval gear they still hit 2-3 times everytime the ax skill hits
  • Paigrande - Harshlands
    edited September 2009

also wats a sage barb?

Well its up to u to decide on how to build our barbarian through the lvls but if u want to b a full vit barbarian which is a barbarian with a build based on having alot of HP u need to b aware that until lvl90 u wont need more then 49 dex nd about the str i will check it later when i log in to the game, make sure u add any extra point to vitality... To put i simple, add str/dex according to the next heavy armour or weapon requirement u can use nd rest put it on vitality, very easy.
    I would also advice u to read the guides as they r really useful.
    About sage barbs, once u reach lvl89 u get to choose between celestial ( sage ) and demon path for every class nd that will giv u the abbility to enter new instances and use either demon or sage skills depending on the path u hav chosen. If u follow this link (dw its safe :p) http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/skillpwi.php , u will have descriptions about the sage or demon skills of each class.
    (\__/)
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited September 2009

also wats a sage barb?

Its not that bad at all, but could be better. you have more than enough STR, but you need at least 21 DEX, your DEX should be at least half your VIT. Also, Paigrande is wrong about how much DEX a barb should have, also for most barbs, you will need between 1 DEX every 1-2 LVL. At endgame you should have from 57 to 110 DEX depending on what you want on armors. It is not good to stay outdated on weapons / armors period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Paigrande - Harshlands
    edited September 2009
    Its not that bad at all, but could be better. you have more than enough STR, but you need at least 21 DEX, your DEX should be at least half your VIT. Also, Paigrande is wrong about how much DEX a barb should have, also for most barbs, you will need between 1 DEX every 1-2 LVL. At endgame you should have from 57 to 110 DEX depending on what you want on armors. It is not good to stay outdated on weapons / armors period.

It all depends on what you call endgame and the ammount of dex im talking about is the one you need if u r doing a vitality build on barb, nd the ammount of dex needed at lvl90 for vit barbs is 49 and at lvl99 the dex needed for vit barbs is 53.

P.S. The requirement for lvl90 weapons nd gears is 49 dex nd 272 str. But like I said, Im talking about vitality build barbs (which is the best build imo).
    (\__/)
  • TheHunter_ - Sanctuary
    TheHunter_ - Sanctuary Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Stop wearing arcane armor then.

roflmao b:laugh
  • Druric - Lost City
    Druric - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I agree with the barb from Haesland server. Am also tank build, but I dd when I want. I have no porblem letting herc tank. The best advice anyone can give you is, build your barb according to your play style. I know dex barbs, and have seen them tank. Just lvl ur skills as u lvl, and dd if u chose. Freak em all!!!
  • ColdSteele - Lost City
    ColdSteele - Lost City Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    barbs aren't as good of dds are bms mainly because of skills. also when a class is created for something it's harder to try to use it for something else than it is to just use the class created for what you want. personally i have no problems with my barb other than dd just isn't my thing. i am rarely pked because of my huge amounts of health. in a pvp fight usually my attacker runs, i am able to escape, or they are like lvl 8x and kill me. ppl around my lvl aren't really a problem for me. I just can't dd for bosses and why would i want to?
    It's too bad but "free to play, pay to win"-sckye

These "updates" are seeming more and more like downgrades.

aryannamage: Not PWE GM's they are all greedy b:angry
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    Dagnatic - Sanctuary Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Barbs can be DD. I my self am no tank by any standards.
    but you gota be prepard to have every one your in a squad with tell you our a faild barb and that you should start again or buy rest scroll.dont listen to them. I get told i die to often. this doesnt bother me. so what i have a lower vit than most but i got 40 dex and the required str for my curent wep so alls good. For example if any one needs a good tank..... dont look at me cos i wont survie it i can take damage from to mobs at once but that doesnt slow me down.
    my stats are my wep reqs for str, 40 dex, 40 vit, I get told Im a faild barb. nut i know im not. dont be afraid to be diferent go DD if you want to. and have fun doing it. dont let any one put you down
    cheers
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I'd expect a DD barb to not be as good a DD as a BM, and to only be as good a tank as a BM and... why wouldn't I just take a BM along?

Still, if you can do your job in a squad (the monsters fall over, no-one dies) then I don't care what your build is. I shouldn't even find out!

But the very best tank abilities belong to barbs. So it seems a shame to not make the most of them.

Insert similar comments about clerics who primarily deal damage, heavy-armour wizards who want to be the physical tank and other unusual builds.

Sure, they can work. They just don't work as well as being another class and doing it.
  • Estepario - Sanctuary
    Estepario - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Hi.

You could also do the standard VIT build but get a second set of hat, cape and jewelry set that adds mp regeneration. That way you can trade off some defense in exchange of being able to spam (literally) your offensive skills as soon as they cooldown.

This way you can also tank, just don't try to do both things at once...

b:victory
  • Fleez - Heavens Tear
    Fleez - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Just because I can........................ I has fleas.
    ATTENTION ALL: I would just like you to know....I has fleas.
  • Saveless - Harshlands
    Saveless - Harshlands Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I'm a pr0 DD.
  • Lehek - Heavens Tear
    Lehek - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i'm a hybrid build and tank just fine
    but maybe that's because i'm a pure tiger form
    can't wait to get sunder tomorrow!
    gonna play around with it in the fb19
    but yeah, if you want to be a DD the only problem is you won't be able to kill many mag mobs around levels 50-80
    and almost all of your quests involve mag mobs
    yeah, people will insult you
    then again they insult everyone who isn't the expected build of any class
    my full attack cleric got insulted on a few fb runs
    until they saw what i could do... hehe
    thing is
    it's just a game, play around with it however you wish
    it's all your choice what you do/don't do
    happy playing
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Yes barbs can DD, but tbh imho they should always level there tiger form every chance they get.

Why? Well because I believe that the hp, and defense that you get from the tiger form out weighs the damage output that you do extra out of tiger form, and if I am not mistaken your hit rate is exactly the same in tiger form as it is in human form. Not to mention how much easier it is for a tank to get aggro from the other dd classes, allows a barb to save the squad in a pinch a lot better then any other class. Sure us bms have moves that allow us to get to party members in a hurry; and stun, but theres no guarentee we will pull aggro... or that the squad will kill the mob before it becomes able to move again. Sure it buy's the squad time, but not much.

Also someone mentioned something about barbs being 'used,' well in a sense I guess it is being used.... but I like to think is just that tank barbs are highly desirable especially in tts, fbs, (later fbs) and even in RB.

EDIT: The most reasonable excuse I have heard from a barb out of tank form was during a tt run, he simply told me that it was because he didnt need tiger form for these mobs (the squad, and his level did help a lot though.) Very acceptable imho. xD

I also dont like healing barbs out of tiger form on my cleric, why? Well because they simply have less hp, and defense causing the cleric to heal more... get in tiger form and stay there throughout the whole run, whether it be tt, an fb, or a rebirth. (If you are going to engage in battle with mobs.) Its like healing a bm tank its real hard to do, and somewhat expensive.)
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Lalalie - Heavens Tear
    Lalalie - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    barbs cannot naturally be DD's cuz that's just not what the class was made for. It's the reason you have so much hp and **** accuracy. Otherwise the class would be overpowered. Its the reason that a BM and a barb of the same lvl are GENERALLY evenly matched. BMs are meant to be melee DD's and secondary tank at best. you have more hp and less accuracy and deal less dmg. They have less hp more acc and deal more dmg.

You can maximize to deal for more dmg yes. But end the end you will not be wanted if you want to pawn yourself off as a DD for something. When ppl ask for barb its to tank..not so you can just come and smack a boss.

You can break the bonds of your class only to a certain extent. If you try to leave it too much you will end up failing altogether. especially for a barb. Imagine you having to do a boss or TT an have to look for another barb cuz your hp is lame and cant tank like your meant to.

Just be what your supposed to be and find your own twist. Don't try to be another class else you fail. When you get to a higher lvl your dmg output will increase alot. and if you built yourself right you can rival bm melee dmg. But trying to be solely a DD with just make your party experience here bad

Ex: arcane robe archers. Heavy armor clerics and wiz's.....
    Lala: aka Jedi PewPewMastaSauce
    Lalalie - Cleric - 8x (main)
    Lalaeli - Blade - 62
    Lalaelia - Veno - 38
    Lalalae - Wizard - 28
    Lalapop - Archer - 42
    Lalalia - Cleric - 26
    Laelala - Archer - 6 ( xD )
    Lalalio - Barb - 4 ( xD )
    Laelalia - Veno (deleted - RIP :O) - 12
    Lalalioz - Barb (deleted - RIP :O) - 3
    ~~~~Teh Lalas will overtake you b:chuckle b:pleased