pet discussion..

2»

Comments

• HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    HimeJunsei - Sanctuary Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    @ladydeadlock, you can notice my post about the oddfoot pup and antelope pup and see that the antelope is better as a mage tank than the oddfoot, and more important than all, has higher damage wich translates into keeping aggro, wich means you can survive much better.
    when i made the comparison, that came on 1st place: aggro. and still antelope has higher magic defense wich is the purpose you actually own the pet.

i abandoned my oddfoot pup. antelope is better.
    if you want physical defense +hp, there is no better pet than golem.
    you can however choose an all-in-one pet, like the cub, but it wont shine and in difficult times it will fail.
    if you raise 2 separate tanks you can always switch between them depending on situation.
    there are mobs that deal both physical and magic damage, but if your magic pet dies, and your physic pet dies, i seriously doubt any all-in-one pet will survive:)

in this discution we exclude the shop pets of course. anyway, the all mighty super hercules is not that better than the golem imo, considering the price. the 300$ are 100% unjustified.

stats at lvl 90 between crystal golem and hercules:
    hp: 2934 - 4135 (golem 71% - herc 100%) herc wins
    damage: 2632.76- 4910.0672 (golem 53.6% - herc 100%) herc wins, yes this is his value
    physical def. 8792 - 8952 (golem 98,2% - herc 100%) herc wins, lol, barely
    magic def. 5861 - 7161 (golem 82% - herc 100%) herc wins

L.E. damage = raw damage multiplied by attack rate, multiplied by accuracy, divided to 1000 to reflect realistic damage.

so actual herc value in money? 29%+46%+1%+18%=94%. +25%(for overall value-it is after all better than golem) -15%(feeding is not nice, and you have to equip skills) = 109% better than golem. it is a 2x times better pet, but 300$ for it?!? when the next most expensive item in cash shop is 30$? i prefer the free 50% of hercules, the golem.

now phoenix: it cannot be taken into the dungeons, where it is most needed, it acts like what it is: an air pet wich like any other flying pet, stumbles into the various terrain bumps and stops, indangering the venomancer.
    the only thing phoenix is praised for is actually a game bug wich the developers will most surely never fix, for obvious reasons(money, lol): if you equip a phoenix with flesh ream(dunno exact name), it will atack with that skill only, when in pk (tw, duel, pk), without the 75% penalty that aplies to all other damages in pk. so.... lol.... can you narrow its use more than that? no! 300$ for it.
    it is a great pet phoenix, but not good for grinding because of glitches. all people that have phoenix can testify that. stupid but it simply cuts down its usability.

i CAN afford to buy any of those pts, i bought many cah items but i will simply not pay for those pets until they are actually worthed. maybe a herc, after lvl 90+. maybe. with in game money made by selling other cash items:P
  • mentallaxative
    mentallaxative Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    HimeJunsei, your post is wrong on two counts.

The legendary pets are much more than what their stats reflect -- search the forums for a discussion on the potency of their buffs.

The legendary pets do not cost $300 if you choose to buy them with real life money. I believe they cost around $180 on average, but this figure varies since opening the battle pack is very much like a lottery. They might cost as much as $300, but this is not a fixed price like you imply.
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    what i said is a fact, what you said is true too, but...

... it varies between 100-500$? i played with a veno lvl 62 with herc lvl 60. the buffs are cool, but golem can be equipped too. he bought every single battle pack needed for ticket, he had no in-game force. it was a total of 304,5$. it is like a lottery, because of the 10-50 items contained in the battle pack. he offered to sell it to me for 300$ so i played with his character for a couple of days. then i returned to my own character that has golem and even if i noticed the difference, i realized that it simply does its job pretty well. i love veno and i love pets, i spent over 2000$ on mmorpg's so far, but i think that 300$ for a golem is way too much. i would of payed 100$, because it is what i think its worthed, not a penny more.
    also about phoenix, i havent played with any yett, but i was very tempted about it when i started playing so i looked up info about it, about what it can do, pros and cons. the fact that it its a flying pet didnt said much to me. so i played the game and tamed a sawfly, then a pinnaer foxwing and both behaved in the same way: glitched - terrain is a pain for them. AND the place where is most needed, in dungeons, is not accessible to them, wich is a big con, since veno's high lvl purpose is to solo fb's and other bosses.
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    ah,forgot 60 widgets wich is 5,4$.
    L.E. 304,5-5,4=299,1 ...same thing if you ask me.
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    @ Ladydeadlock, if magmite obstructs your view, press "Shift" key and the mob, it will select mob even if you press through the magmite.

"Shift" key selects mobs, "Alt" key selects pet+players.

try it, you will get used to it, in a fb may be the difference between party dead and successful pull.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Try to have your golem tank TT squad mode. Only a herc can manage that. Too many bosses only a herc can tank, not a golem.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    HimeJunsei wrote:
    what i said is a fact, what you said is true too, but...

... it varies between 100-500$? i played with a veno lvl 62 with herc lvl 60. the buffs are cool, but golem can be equipped too. he bought every single battle pack needed for ticket, he had no in-game force. it was a total of 304,5$. it is like a lottery, because of the 10-50 items contained in the battle pack. he offered to sell it to me for 300$ so i played with his character for a couple of days. then i returned to my own character that has golem and even if i noticed the difference, i realized that it simply does its job pretty well. i love veno and i love pets, i spent over 2000$ on mmorpg's so far, but i think that 300$ for a golem is way too much. i would of payed 100$, because it is what i think its worthed, not a penny more.
    also about phoenix, i havent played with any yett, but i was very tempted about it when i started playing so i looked up info about it, about what it can do, pros and cons. the fact that it its a flying pet didnt said much to me. so i played the game and tamed a sawfly, then a pinnaer foxwing and both behaved in the same way: glitched - terrain is a pain for them. AND the place where is most needed, in dungeons, is not accessible to them, wich is a big con, since veno's high lvl purpose is to solo fb's and other bosses.
    If it cost him that much, he probably didnt exchange feathers for source at the pet manager. I've gotten both, herc took 182gold, and phoenix 176gold, if you factor in the averages for getting each amount in the battle pet pack, it comes out to an average price of 178gold I believe. According to you he averaged 16 force per pack, and the acual average is 28ish, so either he has super bad luck, or he didnt exchange feathers for force.

At level 80, with the buffs the herc has around 3x more pdef and mdef then a golem, as well as 1.3k more hp, and reflect on top of that. As zoe said, good luck tanking the bosses herc can, with a golem.
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    i never said you can solo TT with golem, zoe, because of his magic defense. TT is however accessible with golem and magic tank but you need a team or much higher lvl than mobs.

but for ppl that cannot afford a herc, and they are the majority of people, i`m just stating that golem is the best phys tank out there and imo antelope pup is the best magic tank. my golem tanks 10 lvls higher than me in a feasible manner.

i cant say how well those pets will handle TT, since i havent got there yet.

herc requires a very good player to handle multiple aggro, and TT must mean a very good venomancer. herc is not superman, i saw hercs dieing because venos just tried to stretch too much.

p.s. i read some of what you folks wrote and i gotta thank you for info, helped alot:)) may i ask what are the cons of a herc?
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Cons of a herc? Well other than the initial price of getting one and the fact that it only eats meat, there really aren't any. It does less damage than a golem but attacks faster as well so that balances it out.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    It does less damage than a golem but attacks faster as well so that balances it out.

actually, if you check my numbers few posts up, you can see that it has better overall dps than golem.

so cash to buy and more cash for feed. bring out the wallet:) i like the ugly thing.

now, back to thread: about physical tanks, i saw people use mechcrabs, they have nice phys defense but they simply lack everything else, while the golem shines in both hp & p def, and is quite good at damage.
  • redonyou
    redonyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    actually, if you check my numbers few posts up, you can see that it has better overall dps than golem.

Actually the "damage" number you reported is a mistranslation and refers to his accuracy. Herc does indeed have less physical attack than the golem, but like Zoe said, he attacks faster.

Also you mention that you could equip a golem with the skills herc has as an argument for why that doesn't make herc better. Technically you're right, you could theoretically obtain all of those skills from chests in the Dragon Temple, but seriously - good luck.
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Actually the "damage" number you reported is a mistranslation and refers to his accuracy. Herc does indeed have less physical attack than the golem, but like Zoe said, he attacks faster.

Also you mention that you could equip a golem with the skills herc has as an argument for why that doesn't make herc better. Technically you're right, you could theoretically obtain all of those skills from chests in the Dragon Temple, but seriously - good luck.

What this guy said.

HimeJunsei, the reason you buy the herc IS for it's skills(though not to mention the obvious it has better base stats overall bit) and they DO make a signifigant impact.

If you were by some lucky way able to get ahold of the skills, you'd be able to sell them for more then the herc price(then buy a herc), so you wouldnt waste them on a golem.

Sidenote about the meat eating "problem" majority of herc owners grab a hold of a xmas blessing.
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    @ladydeadlock, you can notice my post about the oddfoot pup and antelope pup and see that the antelope is better as a mage tank than the oddfoot, and more important than all, has higher damage wich translates into keeping aggro, wich means you can survive much better.
    when i made the comparison, that came on 1st place: aggro. and still antelope has higher magic defense wich is the purpose you actually own the pet.

i abandoned my oddfoot pup. antelope is better.
    if you want physical defense +hp, there is no better pet than golem.
    you can however choose an all-in-one pet, like the cub, but it wont shine and in difficult times it will fail.
    if you raise 2 separate tanks you can always switch between them depending on situation.
    there are mobs that deal both physical and magic damage, but if your magic pet dies, and your physic pet dies, i seriously doubt any all-in-one pet will survive:)

I just got a Frogling... But.. I compared stats on the different guides and Antelope is still the 2nd pet after phoniex that has higest mag def.. however compared with Frogling it has lesser phy def and hp but higher attack.. So now I cant make up my mind which one would be best.. Because both kinda get a compensation for lacking in other ways..
    *Semi retired*
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Look at the growth chart for a Qingfu (a level 1 critter)! It actually looks pretty impressive (except they don't look too sexy...).

I actually levelled one of these up to about 30.
    At level 19, it was a bit ahead of the golem overall, but by 30 it had dropped well behind (in tanking ability).

In the long run the pets with the highest grown in hp and pdef (or mdef where appropriate) are going to be the best tanks. Other pets may have their uses, eg a fast pet or a ranged pet for pulling.
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    redonyou wrote: »
    damage: 2632.76- 4910.0672 (golem 53.6% - herc 100%) herc wins,
    damage = raw damage multiplied by attack rate, multiplied by accuracy, divided to 1000 to reflect realistic damage.

@redonyou, i took in consideration all 3 things affecting the dps. please read all post carefully.

@obsession, i must admit that i reconsidered the herc. in what way? i simply followed one in game. haven't noticed skills are THAT good. my bad, i can't retract what i said in previous posts, nor do i want to, but i might just ADD now that the value of a herc resides not only in his stats, but in his skills, wich are not visible well on the paper, but shine in game.
    herc can tank bosses, golem cannot. and that sums it up.

i apologize for rushing my opinion on the herc.
    as all things everywhere, my opinion changed and zoe & obsession helped me there. herc may be worth his money if it takes under 200$ to get one and the respective venomancer is decided to solo-tank bosses, and later TT.

about magic tank... 2 things that he MUST have, in order of importance:
    1. magic defense --keeps tank alive - result => you live.
    2. aggro --keeps tank on target - result => you live.
    then, you are free to thing about his maximum hp, because of course your role behind the tank is primarily to heal it, THEN to deliver damage, buffs/debuffs.

p.s. i have seen so many ppl use pets as tanks for their cuteness, like the almighty bunny with his almighty skills. the rabbit is a good pet, no question about it, and very versatile, i duel with it, with great pleasure, but as a tank, at least at lvl 50, it just doesn't cut it.
    so, please, be realistic about what your pet can do, not just about what your pet looks like:) have fun!
  • LadyWench - Heavens Tear
    LadyWench - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I do now have a herc, but here are some things i did (and do) with my other pets.
    I tend to choose which pet I will use depending on the party make-up. If more magic dd, i will use a pet that has howl to decrease target's mag. defense. If more physical dd, a pet with pierce to reduce phys. defense.
    Whenever possible, I will use a pet with an elemental damage that will take advantage of mob/boss weakness as well.
    For pulling, I try to use a fast pet (chicken or oddfoot are slightly faster than wolves i have/had) or one with a ranged attack (cactus or eldergoth)
    Your pets can be your best weapons. have as many as you can, see which ones work best for your and those around you :))
    Underwater, use whatever lower lvl pet you have to catch an undine or turtle to use against whatever you'll be facing. If you lvl a sawfly or waspkin, you can still keep a current lvl airpet as well for backup or to sell, etc.
    Most of all, have fun !
  • fyry
    fyry Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have couple different taurocs and they are pretty fun and cool. I rarely see anyone else with them too. thats why I caught my first one.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I see plenty of taurocs at low level. I don't think I've seen them levelled up though.

And yeah, when running through a lower levelled instance with a squad, putting the herc away is definitely the way to go. It just doesn't hit very hard at all. It makes up for it when it's the tank with the reflect, but if it's not the tank then that's three wasted skill slots a tonne of hp you don't use and dealing less damage.

Admittedly, a herc can do the job, but other pets do it faster.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    A fast or ranged pet is good for pulling aggro off of n00b tabbers.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mazzie - Dreamweaver
    Mazzie - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have a couple of pets I have been leveling...just cuz I like hunting for Mats so I just kill everything on the way. I am currently leveling my Rhinodrake, and I really like it. I also have a Abysal Tortois...Or some other turtle, which I like to use for underwater missions. Those are what I am working with at the moment.

I need an air pet eventually...but I hate being in the air

(Underwater may not seem important now, but Im thinking with the Tideborn being brought out in the winter it might be good to have a water pet.

I also have a Demonic (Insert other name here) that I cant use but found an egg just laying in the forest.
    Mazzy the Veno pet collector!
    Feel the power of my Rhinodrake!b:chuckle
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    The cat? Grimalkin? It's pretty, but I didn't see it being very useful.

Tweakz' advice for having a pet that can draw aggro in an emergency is good.

Range is good for this, roar is good for this, the eldergolth has both.

Pounce is also good for rescuing an emergency situation, which can make the shadou cub useful.
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    Chobsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    bzbee wrote: »
    Does anyone know what kind of hp a lvel 60+ antelope pup has? I'm wondering whether its worth using it as my magic tank or just get a new one before I level it up. Its only 50 now and the hp is only 1.4k!
    My magmite is 55 and has 1.6k ish hp. Not a huge difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
    "Did that 95 BM just kill himself to your Herc? Mmm..Yep"
    "Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
    "So that Hercules guy from the disney movie really aged well.."
    ~Chobsi b:cute
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    @ original poster...

i loved my wolves, but gradually found that they just couldnt hold up in battle as i went up in level, even with leveling their moves. so, much as i hated to, i had to start using golems. i still dont like them, especially in tight spaces in instances, and try to use smaller pets except at bosses. so i have the bear cub, sower of the flame, and kowlin for backing me up as we go through the place. though, when you are going through an area where there are mobs you dont want to attract the notice of, put pets away...they do tend to attaract their attention! ^_^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Nehemiah - Harshlands
    Nehemiah - Harshlands Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have a crystal magmite for tanking and grinding those mostly melee mobs
    I have a eldegoth marksman for luring and grinding those mixed melee/magic, and magic and tanking magic only bosses at a range
    I have a guardian wolf for debuffing and land pvp with fleshream and howl it works great
    I have a petite sawfly for air pve and pvp
    An a turtle for water (lowest possible for best stats)

I'm working on getting a pheonix for air pve and pvp and turning the sawfly into a debuff air pet with fleshream
  • Eagle_pw - Heavens Tear
    Eagle_pw - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I don't have a herc yet but from what I saw. It is pretty much a must-have at high level, seeing how faction member solo TT and other bosses.
    Even at mid range, herc out shines golem. Once I went to FB39 and saw a level 52 herc out tank level 59 golem. I start to think there are secrets in legendary pets that stats on paper do not reveal.
    Now only if PoF is cheaper..
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have a eldegoth marksman for luring and grinding those mixed melee/magic, and magic and tanking magic only bosses at a range
    I have a guardian wolf for debuffing and land pvp with fleshream and howl it works great

The wolf isn't better than the marksman for grinding?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I don't have a herc yet but from what I saw. It is pretty much a must-have at high level, seeing how faction member solo TT and other bosses.
    Even at mid range, herc out shines golem. Once I went to FB39 and saw a level 52 herc out tank level 59 golem. I start to think there are secrets in legendary pets that stats on paper do not reveal.
    Now only if PoF is cheaper..

No extra secrets. It's all fairly straight forward. The buffs are a big boost (even without buffs though a herc is about 50% better).