pet discussion..

Replicant - Heavens Tear
Replicant - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Venomancer
ok, ive been searching not only PWI but PWmy and many other sources, everywhere i look everyone just says "magmite and sawfly" well i say F that.. the magmite is the biggest pain in the **** to use, i dont care about its tanking ability, its ugly and dosent fit anything that i want to be as in character..

there seems to be literatly no conversation about many of the other pets (outside of the underused pet threads which specificly talk about only 1 pet or so)

its understood that the lowest lvl pet of its given species is the best because of the stats per lvl gained, but higher lvl pets have better skills.. well all that aside lets have a small chat about the other pets, the ones that get no respect.

for example did you know there are 4 diffrent growth charts for wolves? yes 4!

has anyone tried working with a few of the diffrent wolf types? what are your experiences with them? i currently have a starterwolf and a type2 wolf (grottoden wolfkin) and they both hold up well in combat. but lately (lvl 25ish) they seem to be slipping a bit and ive been trying to do research on finding a new pet that isnt a bee or a butt ugly magmite.

pet growth chart site
http://pwi.moonalupe.com/bpl2.htm

Rhinodrakes? their growth chart seems pretty well rounded decent attack, high HP, pretty good pdef and mdef

Ant soldiers? again their stat chart seems to suggest that they are pretty well rounded.. anyone have a higher lvl ant and care to drop some knowledge? it would be much appreciated.

Grimalkin? wolf2? wolf3? please take a look at the pet chart site, from the stats they seem like they would all be pretty good, but why dosent any use them? i understand that most go for pure numbers, but whats the fun in doing the cookiecutter direction? pets are about who you are and the fun of having a companion..

please this is a thread for all other pets besides the magmite and sawfly. so if your going to post something stupid like "get magmite its the tank" please just go away..

im trying to start some good pet lovers conversation here.. so fellow venos, share your thoughts! postpictures of your fav model pet, share your stats experience. and most of all have fun!

thankyou
-Rep

(ps. by odd chance if your a heavy foxveno, thumbs up to you! fox=awesome)
Post edited by Replicant - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I love my rhinodrake and my cactus, and their skills and abilities.

b:heart

Between them, I am fairly confident I could clear most of untamed FB19, solo, when I was level 19. I did Daisy's quest where I had to go back in there to kill a wolf, and with their help I did so, without dying (but I did have to run out of the cave a few times), and I kept on going into that first big caveren, to satisfy my curiosity. (But I did have my FB19 weapon then, and I am not totally confident my pet heals would have been enough, previously.)

My rhinodrake's "reduce incoming damage" skill works wonders when tanking one opponent, and so does my "reduce physical defense" scarab. Also, my cactus' ranged physical attack (and, sometimes, its slow skill) work wonderfully when I need to be luring something.

I think most pets have something they would be best for. I just need to discover them.

And, for now, every time I see a new tamable monster I try and get an egg so I can see if I find its skills enticing. I suppose I should take notes?
  • bzbee
    bzbee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'm afraid I stuck to the magmite as I have indeed found it to be a good tank and I absolutely hate dying so they suit me fine. I'm not saying go for one b:chuckle but I have to say I have yet to find a better tank.

I have read in other threads that the beetles we can tame at low levels near Lost City are pretty good tanks too. There is also an Eldergoth (not sure if its marksman or sharpshooter) which is apparently quite good due to its range attacks.

For my fly pet I have the standard sawfly but I didn't get it until I was in my mid 50s and I find it does have pretty good damage but as you said, it isn't that 'pretty' to look at. I now have a flying piggy which is adorable to look at and has the bonus of decreasing the mob's magical defense.

Other than those, I also have an antelope pup which I find pretty good and is my backup pet for when my golem dies.

So my current pet list stands at:

Golem (for tanking) > Antelope pup (backup)
    Flying Piggy > Petite Sawfly (backup)
    Tortoise for water
    Snowhare just for fun (its still level 23)

Trying to save up for the butt ugly Herc - current force status 303 b:sad
    Phoenix plume count: 2450 b:sad

I want the phoenix because I think its pretty. b:cute
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Carapest Terrors, and Longhorned Carapest are worth a look. Some swear by Prickly Oddfoot Pup's as well. For a full attack pet, I'd look at your Scorpions and for water look at the Undine Wenches, and Undine Pricesses availible in the 30s. I have an Antelope Pup, but dang are they annoying. Sawfly are ok, but I hate the noise they make, and you can't use them in instances where a good pet is needed.

I'm with you on the golem, although they work great, targeting things while using them can be annoying due to their size, and everybody has one, and I like to be different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • bzbee
    edited February 2009
    How are the antelope pups annoying? b:surprised

I find the undines worse with their constant crying. b:irritated

edited February 2009
    There is two different kinds of Undines. The ones I was talking about are full featured females, who fight with swords. And are water pets. Not the half bodied ones who have that annoying laugh. It's almost like they are two different species. They share no common features I can see, other than both being females. They look and act nothing like each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Aristotle
    edited February 2009
    The Antelope have that super annoying Elk bugling every time they use an attack skill. After about 20 mins of listening to that, I'm about to lock and load my .300 Weatherby Magnum and shoot the thing to put myself out of my misery lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Aristotle
  • bzbee
    edited February 2009
    The Antelope have that super annoying Elk bugling every time they use an attack skill. After about 20 mins of listening to that, I'm about to lock and load my .300 Weatherby Magnum and shoot the thing to put myself out of my misery lol.

LOL....strange I didn't find it quite annoying but that could be because it was mild compared to those super irritating cries from the stupid undines. b:chuckle

• Terniti - Heavens Tear
    Terniti - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    hey those are some awesome posts, thanks guys!

im definatly going to give the rhinodrakes a go, and check out any new species i come across!

and yea, i know i came off a bit hostile towrds the magmites, i know that they literatly rule at tanking, but i just cant seem to get past the size/look of it, lol.. and really flying pets cant enter instances? thats kinda messed up.. oh well.

those are some well informed postings and i hope to keep this thread going on the good note! thanks for the input! =)
  • bzbee
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone know what kind of hp a lvel 60+ antelope pup has? I'm wondering whether its worth using it as my magic tank or just get a new one before I level it up. Its only 50 now and the hp is only 1.4k!

• Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    bonquite pets are the best hands down
    "When life gives you arrows give them back ", Divine_Demon b:sin
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    While I applaud what you're trying to do Replicant, this plain and simple fact is that certain pets are "best suited" for specific roles. Any pet with decent Pdef and HP will make a good physical tank, but a Golem (or Herc when you can afford it)will always do it better.

Personally, I can't stand big fatty golem, but I use it because it is the best at what I need it to do. Being different is not always better.

For everyday grinding and questing any pet will do just fine. Posting stats of various pets shows that you still desire to have the best you can get, and you already know what they are. Everything else is pure aesthetics.
  • Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    While I applaud what you're trying to do Replicant, this plain and simple fact is that certain pets are "best suited" for specific roles. Any pet with decent Pdef and HP will make a good physical tank, but a Golem (or Herc when you can afford it)will always do it better.

I sort of agree with you, but I sort of disagree with you.

Of course, golems have great raw statistics, but until you can throw a million coins or two into skills, your golem will not have skills which other pets would give you, for free. And I might multiply this by however many roles you have pets for.

And I maybe should also consider if I could have spent my millions on something else, and been better off.
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The Treefrog is a very good pet for me. I love his looks, his chirps and his animation, and his skills and stats are awesome too. It's a rare pet, but very cheap compared to the other rares (300k-600k, depending on server).

in PW there seem to be a rule that the uglier the pet the better stats it has lol. There are some pets that look very cool but have awful stats. I'd love to have hercules' godly tanking power, but it's so darn ugly that i'm quite hesitant about forking over the 20mil or so for it. I have a friend also playing a veno, who unlike me, chooses looks over stats. My magmite is about 10 levels lower than her pets, but can tank TT bosses easier than hers can. But her pets look so cool... It's a choice you'll have to make i guess.

Of the magmite replacements, I've seen ppl use the low lvl beetles, the wolves (particularly Guardian Wolf), Shaodu Cub, Eldergoth Marksman, and Overclocked Mechcrab. But when it comes to physical tanking efficiency, all my votes go to the magmite.
  • Zhoelle - Sanctuary
    Zhoelle - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I use a Minkii and find it really quite good. It has an Earth attack, which is different, and it's movement speed is decent too.

Look at the growth chart for a Qingfu (a level 1 critter)! It actually looks pretty impressive (except they don't look too sexy...).

I'm thinking of giving a Centipex a go to see how Evasion+Regeneration compare with HP+Phys Def. Anyone have any comments?
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Of course, golems have great raw statistics, but until you can throw a million coins or two into skills, your golem will not have skills which other pets would give you, for free. And I might multiply this by however many roles you have pets for.

And I maybe should also consider if I could have spent my millions on something else, and been better off.

Yes it definitely cost a lot to train, but my opinion is that it is worth it. You can grind coin all day long, but stats will never change. I recently upgraded my crystalline magmite to r4 bash, tough, threaten, and r1 roar and I couldn't be happier. I can get 3-4 higher level mobs on my pet at once and far more often than not handle them all just fine (not counting sac.assault or +m.att =/ )

Once again, any pet will do just fine for everyday grinding/questing. Some just do it better/easier.
  • Usage - Sanctuary
    Usage - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for this discussion. I just started playing & i've been trying to figure out which pets are good or not. Everyone is like the golem is the best, but i really don't like the way it looks. I'm perfer the wolves, my 1st pet is a Riding Wolf. I have this thing about a bunny controling a wolf :) The website u put on here about the pet growth chart, w/ all the various pets really helped me get to know the other kinds of pets. I think I will get a golem, just to have one. But my main pet will always be somekind of wolf. But I'm still going to try out a few others.

My end goal is to get a Hercules or Pheonix. But I'm can't find info on them. Can anyone recommend a website or which is better. I know I have a long ways to go, but its nice to dream of. Thanks
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i have a cactus on my alt veno that has been amazing.... for melee mobs that is. I can keep a mob running back and forth between me and the cactus with taking maybe one or two hits on the cactus.

I cast ironwood first, cactus casts slow skill, then i just spam venomous till the mob starts running towards me. Almost all the time the cactus will retake agro from its ranged hits.. then the mob is completely confused running from me to the cactus, back to me, back to the cactus. Only pots i'm using are mp with this routine.

I could see it not working at higher lvls when mobs are mostly magic.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Honestly the only skill I've put any points into on my golem is bash, and its only level 4. I've never had a problem with it tanking anything. Some HH bosses it helps to watch the timing on their attacks rather than just spam heals.

Thanks for this discussion. I just started playing & i've been trying to figure out which pets are good or not. Everyone is like the golem is the best, but i really don't like the way it looks. I'm perfer the wolves, my 1st pet is a Riding Wolf. I have this thing about a bunny controling a wolf :) The website u put on here about the pet growth chart, w/ all the various pets really helped me get to know the other kinds of pets. I think I will get a golem, just to have one. But my main pet will always be somekind of wolf. But I'm still going to try out a few others.

My end goal is to get a Hercules or Pheonix. But I'm can't find info on them. Can anyone recommend a website or which is better. I know I have a long ways to go, but its nice to dream of. Thanks

I like my nix, but thats because I like to pvp. Herc is better if you like dungeons. Its all up to you. If you get the herc first, you'll be able to farm enough money to buy a nix rather quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flamingchill - Heavens Tear
    Flamingchill - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    On my lv63 venomancer, Ive stopped lvling for a while to train pets
    Molten Ant Soldiers from Human FB19 have good stats. they are the magmites of the pvP world. They are balanced in defs, high accuracy and evasion, and speed is good for lure pet. The HP is decent for the general view of pets, but a bit low to the view of tank type pets. Its attack is OK, wouldnt say its that great.
    The Gall's Cactopod near Gate of antiqulity are good. If you throw in 200k, you can give it howl. I like how it goes range and has slow. Slow helps me out when i accidently uhhhh get arrgo...b:surrender anyways, the toxic mist also deals nice damage. It also has nice mag def
    The Snowhare is overrated. It has low damage and is a failure as a rare pet. Unless you can throw in a few millions, it has bad outcome. The 4 skills it has though are OK. But I'd switch some like instead of shriek put in bash or flesh ream.
    The SoulChaser Antelope is good for those poor-er venos. It comes with Lv3 howl, good to nuke dmg on and it has a very decent mag def and can take phys attacks without much use of healing. My lv60 soul chaser only took 700 dmg from Zimo(lv65 boss), compare to my Lv63 crystalline magmite taking 1200 dmg from Zimo..
    I'll continue to update a bit and uh cy a
    I curse you and my curse is that you be what you already are..!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ledrea - Sanctuary
    Ledrea - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I personally am leveling a level 3 beatle, currently level 35, it has 300 less phy res, but 550 more mag res, and higher everything else as well.
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    HimeJunsei - Sanctuary Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I have the following pets:
    Crystalline Magmite, Prckly Oddfoot Pup, Petite Sawfly, Plainswalker Tuskmoor, Undine Supreme, Antelope Pup, Snow Hare, Pinnaer Foxwing, Eldergoth Marksman.
    I tried wolves as tanks, 2 types, found out overall, magmite is better at this job due to high hp and p.def. (press shift key in game and you select only mobs, ignoring huge magmite in front of you, taking up your screen)

Concerning phys tank magmite is 1st, backed up with skills, it is even better, it has a good damage too, misses rarely.

About mag tanks, i thought that if i choose a low lvl pet would compensate in stats for a higher lvl, but better growth pattern. So, i chose Oddfoot pup and raised it to 43, then i started to dislike his mag def, so i tamed an antelope, and raised it to 43 too.
    Here are the results: (1st is antelope pup, 2nd is oddfoot pup)

hp: 1154 - 1226
    phys def: 2905 - 3377
    accuracy: 769 - 891
    atack rate: 0,8 - 0,8
    starting lvl: 30 - 8
    phys atack: 663 - 574
    mag res: 3962 - 3940
    evade: 559 - 644
    speed: 7,1 - 7,2

as a mage tank, antelope is better, mag def and dmg being importand, and a bit hp, rest is unimportant.
  • Energize - Heavens Tear
    Energize - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Golem + Bear as tanking pets. Petite Sawfly as my air pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GaliNaab here, your neighbourhood friendly male venomancer.
  • Ayjia - Sanctuary
    Ayjia - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I used a Blackhive Wolfkin Premeir (lvl 21 fb19 elite mob) as a land pet before I got my cub. It wasn't as good as the magmite, but I could still tank a fair amount of bosses solo with it without much trouble. A guildie who did the same thing said he only started noticing it falling behind in the 50s - it could probably go further if he had upped its skills :)
  • Nastikoz - Sanctuary
    Nastikoz - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    But I want the little bear, It's rather better tank than golem, and with this pet you neednt have magic tankb:pleased
  • Delice - Heavens Tear
    Delice - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    For my part, i use the ugly carapest terror as a magic tank and it is awesome, verry good mdef and high evasion, a lil more HP than antelope :
    Lvl 41
    HP 1130
    Damage 685
    attack rate .8/sec
    Damage 458
    magic resistance 3872
    Evade 685
    speed 6.9m/sec
    you just have to upgrade his skill, or he will loose aggro all the time lol

atm skills : Bash 2 Howl 2 Tough 2 slow 1
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Hello! Very nice thread! I am also one of those who thinks golem is just pure uglyness....But I found him yet very useful... Im currently using golem, pinnaer, antelop pup and snowhare... Now Im thinking of replacing pinnaer with Forest Waspkin.. I think it's better looking than sawfly.. and even though it starting level is 12.. it will at least have better stats than pinnear.. I think if i got a dodo bear I would raplace both my golem and antelope but I cant find anyone selling them >_<.. So I will look into other pets you mentioned, as Carapest Terror or oddfoot.. Cause I still cant find a pet that I feel really satisfied with. I recently got a snow hare and I really like it despite that it's stats are pretty avarage..
    *Semi retired*
  • Teseanna - Heavens Tear
    Teseanna - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,021 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I love my Lunar Lupin, i use it over my golem in many situations.
  • Jazzboo - Sanctuary
    Jazzboo - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I think my bloodthirsty adolwolf is just as good as a magmite sence i lv it from 15. b:victory
    LIGHT IS THE KEY. DARKNESS IS THE LOCK. PERFECT WORLD IS THE PLACE BEYOND THE DOOR.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I am using Volcanic Magmite, but only for cases, when he needs to be lvled up or for strong mobs. He is good when I am in difficult situations and not too sure if I will survive. I went for Volcanic, because of Tough, which saved his life quite a lot.
    For other my lvl mobs I use Antelope Pup or Snow Hare. I use them both as magic tanks and replace each other, if something goes wrong. They feel more like a pets to me, than the golem. Golem is more like a squad member, not a pet.
    I use Pinnaer Foxwing as my air pet. I have no complains about it - nice skills and not that bad stats.
    As for fun and enjoyment I have Tabby Plumdrop. It is 20lvl below me, but still good enough when I help lower lvls with their quests or doing fb19/29 for fun. It has good skills and looks really cute when is fighting.
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Im thinking of getting Wolven Guardsman... And yeah its starting lvl is 45.. Im looking at stats for pet at lvl 90.. It has actually pretty decent mag def, not that much different from froggy in hp, phy and mag def.. Even better mag def than dodo bear, however it lacks a bit in hp and attack. Also with a sligtly better hp and phy def it could compensate the smaller difference in mag def for an antelope pop (this is compared at lvl 90)...

Doesnt seem like I can find a good replacement for the magmite..b:sad I dont wanna use a beetle.. I just tried it! I guess I'll keep it.. And then see how well it does along side with wolven guardsman..
    *Semi retired*