to all high level venomancers (60+)

Options
Xeian - Dreamweaver
Xeian - Dreamweaver Posts: 720 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
I'm just througally courious, what drives all of you to catch the rare pets that you don't even need? and what's your initial reaction when you see a low level show up trying to get one daily and continually failing?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Xeian - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I don't bother with the rare pets but I will tell you what most venos think.

"The more pets I get the more money I can make by selling them."

As for a low level who tries to get one daily and never can?

High level veno: "Ahaha NOOB thats MY pet you can't ever have it! If you want it you can buy it from me! Make me rich! The ONLY thing in this entire game that matters is my wallet!!!!!!!"
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Profit from selling.... A Kowlin is worth like 900k on Sanctuary..
    And if I see a lowbie trying to get one of those pets for own use it makes me sad cause you see they will never get one that way.

And yes, I got a 60ish venomancer too. But I dont farm for rare pets, only if I want one for myself or a friend begs me for one then Im gonna try.
    I watched the kowlin spawn some times, but in the end guess what.. I bought mine b:tired Its no use if theres lots of high levels wanting to tame it or killing it if they cant..

Somthings wrong with rare pets.. Make them spawn more often or something so that everybody got a chance for them >.<
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    My reason (and probably the reason for a few others) is taming rares for friends. I'm honestly so sick of the shaodu spawn (from when I had to get mine and when I tamed a few for my friends) that I'll be glad if I never have to go there again.

My reaction whenever I see a lower level trying to tame one and failing every day? Meh, sucks for them. If they stick with it long enough then they'll eventually get it (luck will strike sooner or later, usually later).
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    Options
    there's someone going to both each time and catching both of them. it's really redicilous

and for the record. Kowlin is selling for about the same on dreamweaver (but note my level, I'm after shadou)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Taming and selling rare pets is a waste of time, especially since there's no guarantee of success with so many other camping. Even grinding gives more money for the same amount of time.b:chuckle
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Taming and selling rare pets is a waste of time, especially since there's no guarantee of success with so many other camping. Even grinding gives more money for the same amount of time.b:chuckle
    ye, and you're even less likely at lower levels with all the cs high ones running aroubd (5+m mounts anyone)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DawnRazor - Lost City
    DawnRazor - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lol

I'm rich and bought mine. I tame em to **** off idiots, and give em to guildies who need em. So if on Lost City who cares my guildies get em anyway.
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lol

I'm rich and bought mine. I tame em to **** off idiots, and give em to guildies who need em. So if on Lost City who cares my guildies get em anyway.
    what makes someone an idiot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DawnRazor - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    Options

Lol

To me someone who turns up to tame, knowing they can kill the others, and to tame em purely for profit, as they already have that pet. In my view they a fkin idiot.Ie a 90+ veno taming kowlin. I'd attack the 90, and allow someone else to get the pet, before I'd see some high lvl tosser get it.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    My motivation is, it's fun, if it weren't fun I wouldn't do it, in fact that's why I haven't hit any rares for the past 3 days, I sometimes don't like waking up 3-4 hours into sleeping to hit spawn cycles or plan my nights around them. It takes only a few minutes to do a good spawn cycle once you figure it out, and it's a nice change of pace from TT's, grinding, and so on. The fact that it also provides a little coin is a nice bonus but rare tames are by no means a get rich quick scheme. I don't even make money on frogs for example, they just cover windrage costs.

Since you brought up a Kowlin specifically, sorry it's level 60 you need to be atleast 60 to tame it. By 60 you can have a bit of channeling and use windrage. The disadvantage you're at compared to those of us that are higher is very minor (until some 90+ come along with instant powder, oh I can't wait to use some of that). When it comes to the lower level spawns like tabby/cub (level 20) or frogling (level 9) my thought is, occasionally higher level tamers can and do fail, and I feel no sympathy for you getting out tamed. Outside of access to windrage (level 45) and higher channeling gear there's no advantage to being higher or lower when taming, essentially the text about higher chances on tame pet are a lie. I've tested them to confirm it.

You also mentioned taming it to use (or implied it), by your logic should I automatically get a Kowlin if I were going to use it? How about a frog? What about a cub? Currently I have a use for a second cub, could use a Kowlin, have someone to make a puppy for, and I think I have use for a tabby, should people automatically give them to me just because I need them? The answer is no. Everyone is there for a shot at it, across large level ranges, everyone has a shot at it too. Some have the odds more in their favor either through skill, knowing a few tricks, or gear but nothing is outright preventing anyone from taming it. One of the joys of a PvE server.
    there's someone going to both each time and catching both of them. it's really redicilous

and for the record. Kowlin is selling for about the same on dreamweaver (but note my level, I'm after shadou)

I know who's getting it right now, be thankful. 3 weeks ago it was someone sitting there with a level 90 wizard, if they failed the tame they outright killed it. Also be glad myself and one other person that likes to get Kowlin aren't showing up much lately. Anyways, from the last time I was there, you've got Shuraka and Lenne there, both are good tamers so you're trying to get it at a bad time. Lumii was getting most for awhile, and I've gotten quite a few (but I'm a horrible tamer and have to use some pretty underhanded tricks to get tames occasionally, so we can just ignore what I get).

Finally, I highly doubt the same person is getting the cub each time unless no one is showing that's worth anything as a tamer. Like anything else, it takes practice. I realize you're at a disadvantage due to your level but what do you expect? Cub is the most crowded spawn aside from possibly the frog even if you're higher level you shouldn't expect a good chance at it.
    Taming and selling rare pets is a waste of time, especially since there's no guarantee of success with so many other camping. Even grinding gives more money for the same amount of time.

Frogs pay for my incense. Pigs and Kowlins pay for my other expenses (subs people short me on, the cost of chaining blinding sand, pet skills, etc), pups and tabbies are actual profit if I hit other spawns too. I'm pretty sure I lose money on cubs.

The spawn cycle I was hitting 3 weeks ago (it's quite a bit different now thanks to maintenance) was pup, north tabby, south tabby, pig, south frog (had no competition, I had it way early it took a week for anyone else to find the spawn time), mid frog, north frog. Excluding the south frog which I split 50/50 with a friend of mine for quite a bit of coin I averaged about 1 tames a day hitting it all morning and night, or 1 in 12 (actually 2 in 14 since I got every other frog) for 750k per day, throw in the guaranteed frog and it was 825k per day.

In windrage/teleport/holy path/warsong/accelerate fees I was using 95k per spawn cycle for 190k per day. An overall profit of 635k, still a decent amount, especially for the 30 min per day it was taking me but I would hardly call it a get rich quick scheme.

There's better options to make coin in that amount of time such as soloing fb79 (even with BH reducing prices on molds) but they aren't nearly as fun and well, like I said. Isn't the point to have fun?
  • DawnRazor - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    Options
    My motivation is, it's fun, if it weren't fun I wouldn't do it, in fact that's why I haven't hit any rares for the past 3 days, I sometimes don't like waking up 3-4 hours into sleeping to hit spawn cycles or plan my nights around them. It takes only a few minutes to do a good spawn cycle once you figure it out, and it's a nice change of pace from TT's, grinding, and so on. The fact that it also provides a little coin is a nice bonus but rare tames are by no means a get rich quick scheme. I don't even make money on frogs for example, they just cover windrage costs.

Since you brought up a Kowlin specifically, sorry it's level 60 you need to be atleast 60 to tame it. By 60 you can have a bit of channeling and use windrage. The disadvantage you're at compared to those of us that are higher is very minor (until some 90+ come along with instant powder, oh I can't wait to use some of that). When it comes to the lower level spawns like tabby/cub (level 20) or frogling (level 9) my thought is, occasionally higher level tamers can and do fail, and I feel no sympathy for you getting out tamed. Outside of access to windrage (level 45) and higher channeling gear there's no advantage to being higher or lower when taming, essentially the text about higher chances on tame pet are a lie. I've tested them to confirm it.

You also mentioned taming it to use (or implied it), by your logic should I automatically get a Kowlin if I were going to use it? How about a frog? What about a cub? Currently I have a use for a second cub, could use a Kowlin, have someone to make a puppy for, and I think I have use for a tabby, should people automatically give them to me just because I need them? The answer is no. Everyone is there for a shot at it, across large level ranges, everyone has a shot at it too. Some have the odds more in their favor either through skill, knowing a few tricks, or gear but nothing is outright preventing anyone from taming it. One of the joys of a PvE server.

I know who's getting it right now, be thankful. 3 weeks ago it was someone sitting there with a level 90 wizard, if they failed the tame they outright killed it. Also be glad myself and one other person that likes to get Kowlin aren't showing up much lately. Anyways, from the last time I was there, you've got Shuraka and Lenne there, both are good tamers so you're trying to get it at a bad time. Lumii was getting most for awhile, and I've gotten quite a few (but I'm a horrible tamer and have to use some pretty underhanded tricks to get tames occasionally, so we can just ignore what I get).

Finally, I highly doubt the same person is getting the cub each time unless no one is showing that's worth anything as a tamer. Like anything else, it takes practice. I realize you're at a disadvantage due to your level but what do you expect? Cub is the most crowded spawn aside from possibly the frog even if you're higher level you shouldn't expect a good chance at it.

Frogs pay for my incense. Pigs and Kowlins pay for my other expenses (subs people short me on, the cost of chaining blinding sand, pet skills, etc), pups and tabbies are actual profit if I hit other spawns too. I'm pretty sure I lose money on cubs.

The spawn cycle I was hitting 3 weeks ago (it's quite a bit different now thanks to maintenance) was pup, north tabby, south tabby, pig, south frog (had no competition, I had it way early it took a week for anyone else to find the spawn time), mid frog, north frog. Excluding the south frog which I split 50/50 with a friend of mine for quite a bit of coin I averaged about 1 tames a day hitting it all morning and night, or 1 in 12 (actually 2 in 14 since I got every other frog) for 750k per day, throw in the guaranteed frog and it was 825k per day.

In windrage/teleport/holy path/warsong/accelerate fees I was using 95k per spawn cycle for 190k per day. An overall profit of 635k, still a decent amount, especially for the 30 min per day it was taking me but I would hardly call it a get rich quick scheme.

There's better options to make coin in that amount of time such as soloing fb79 (even with BH reducing prices on molds) but they aren't nearly as fun and well, like I said. Isn't the point to have fun?

Lol

Thank your lucky stars on a non pvp server.
    On Lost city would have to fight to tame lol
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if I were on a PvP server I would be killed on sight by all tamers and their factions for some of the ways I've thought up to shift the odds of getting the tame in my favor a point or two. I kinda wish though that I was the guy who runs a cleric around with him to RB when it's due, that's always amusing to see.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Because I can and I want to. Tamed a few when I needed cash for a herc. Then never really bothered afterwards because the time for spawns are pretty annoying for me. Besides, after you get a herc, and are higher level, money is way easier to get.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Cenminator - Dreamweaver
    Cenminator - Dreamweaver Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    most tame rares so they can sell them. i only tame the rares if its for a friend who's channeling isn't high enough to compete with all the higher ups trying to tame it
  • Kysay - Heavens Tear
    Kysay - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I just want to say, in case no one has yet, just because you are a low lvl doesn't mean you have no chance in hell to get a rare pet.
    I got my tabby when I was lvl 27, the morning after I lvled and got my tame skill up. I had been hunting it for about a month, mornings and nights, and even recruiting help from my bf and sister to help me keep track of time.
    That morning there were 4 other venos, all higher lvl then me, some at least 60, and they all failed cast.

Lower lvl venos it will be hard for you, but it is not impossible. Just keep trying

as for me
    I've caught a tabby for myself.
    Numerous bunnies, and made an all class puppy for friends.
    I've thought about taming to sell, but I'd rather grind away.

When I see low lvls at tame spots, I try to help them if I can.
    But only after I help myself first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options

b:byewhat makes some1 a trol
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options

That wasn't the OP's question. Stop trolling and GTFO kthxbai.

To answer the question, me personally I camped them when I was lower levels. I actually was given my kowlin as a gift and bought my armored bear. Lucky enough I was to tame my shaodu. There were only 2 people at my shaodu spawn. And my puppy was a gift too.

I don't camp them because I hate it when those high levels take it right from them. I've given up a number of bunnies (semi-rare) to the lower levels so they can have a pet to fight with. Personally, if I tame a rare, its not for me, its for friends and I don't charge them anything. Its not about money for me, its about what I've heard about the pet. For example, before herc/nixs I heard shaodu was an all around great tank type pet (waay before armored bear was ever mentioned to me). So I camped it and managed to tame one. Its no longer my tank, but its my DD. As my armored bear is my tank. But the bunnies I tamed were for making baby bunnies.

I have never camped a rare to sell. Every time I even tried for that, I was outdone by someone with insane channeling gear (which seriously why get unless you're going for a heal for that herc most you venos get anyways?). I took that to mean my intentions were bad and have never tried to farm to sell since.

The only non-troll thing Mothergoose said was grinding is faster. But for those low levels that can't afford a herc/nix, I say get a rare if you can. Cause that's what I had and still do aside from my nix. And they all have their uses.

So if I ever camp them its not for me or for me to profit off of, its for me to give to someone.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I'm just througally courious, what drives all of you to catch the rare pets that you don't even need? and what's your initial reaction when you see a low level show up trying to get one daily and continually failing?

Most high lvl venos don't bother with rare pets since its not profitable...unless you like run into the damn thing by mistake. You can make like 200-600k max if you actually tame it, but you have to hang around and do nothing for like 30 minutes, its a waste of time really. I make 10 times more money if i farm TT during that time <.<

If i need a rare pet i just go buy it, rare pets cost like nothing these days lol. But im guessing some higher lvl venos camp the spawn place or w/e trying to win and look all badass sniping the baby bear in front of some nubs with lvl 1 tame pet. Just seems like sucha waste of time for me b:surrender.

The few occasions i see lowbie venos trying to tame a rare, struggling and failing, i just keep semi-afk flying my World mission <.<
  • Dustinmurphy - Harshlands
    Dustinmurphy - Harshlands Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    rare pets are crappy only for show off venos who spend time catching a pets thats completely useless
    If anniversary pack threads keep getting made I'll keep trolling them until there isn't anymore!b:bye
  • exileddw
    exileddw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lol

Lol

To me someone who turns up to tame, knowing they can kill the others, and to tame em purely for profit, as they already have that pet. In my view they a fkin idiot.Ie a 90+ veno taming kowlin. I'd attack the 90, and allow someone else to get the pet, before I'd see some high lvl tosser get it.

you're an idiot for wasting your time b:thanks
  • dustin534
    dustin534 Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    lol rare pets are completely useless in this game for show offs who have time to waste with there no life and smartass aptitude saying there rich becaz they got a rare pet also all vino's are mostly
    G.I.R.L. - Guy in real life, where 99% of the female characters that are either 13 year old confused boy or 40 year old virgin man b:laugh
    :P
    HL character
    Sin-ign-Angarika-lvl46

Made 6 days ago :P

Be level 70 by next week <3b:thanks
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    Options
    dustin534 wrote: »
    lol rare pets are completely useless in this game for show offs who have time to waste with there no life and smartass aptitude saying there rich becaz they got a rare pet also all vino's are mostly
    G.I.R.L. - Guy in real life, where 99% of the female characters that are either 13 year old confused boy or 40 year old virgin man b:laugh
    or maybe we like the class and wish theor were MALE ones but there aren't?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dustin534
    edited September 2009
    Options
    or maybe we like the class and wish theor were MALE ones but there aren't?
    lol ya sureb:laugh
    HL character
    Sin-ign-Angarika-lvl46

• Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I've always likes the Druid class, but it's not in pwi, veno is the next closest thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I don't have the patients to do this as I wouldn't mind an armoured bear but to lvl up it skills.It would be more time consuming and taken away form game play.

I do know someone who is quite good at this.I bought my snow hare.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I show up and kill them on occasion b:pleased
  • dustin534
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I show up and kill them on occasion b:pleased
    lol good way to **** off a veno too im goin to do this nowb:laugh
    HL character
    Sin-ign-Angarika-lvl46

• Tisa - Dreamweaver
    Tisa - Dreamweaver Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Caught an armored bear once...almost caught the shoudu bear thingy, but ironwood just had to crit with my 1% crit chance -.-. So, 1 pet caught and 1 killed, both totally random encounters.
    Dunno why someone would go stalk these, thrill of the hunt? xD
    Can't be money, because you can generally make more doing somehing else.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I agree with Tisa :P I don't find them worth my time. I have caught only snow hares as I ran into them. I even don't know when they respawn. My own bunny and tabby was gifts...

It is worth the time if you manage to tame one. If you don't manage to do it, then it is really a waste of time.
    And it is sport thing for sure. Comming back over and over just to try their luck this time. Just to congratulate the one who tamed and in mean time to silently curse them behind their backs. And then go back another day to try their luck again :)

Killing a rare pet in front of venos is like taking away a toy from kids.
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I'm not into cluster****s, so i dont go.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.