Pure Dex Build Sucks...?

SteeI - Heavens Tear
SteeI - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Archer
Well that's the build i've been going with since the beginning. But now that I am level 50 I heard a guild mate of mine tell me to add 60 Vit. Saying Pure Dex builds suck and so does Pure Magic builds. Any opinions on pure dex builds people?
Post edited by SteeI - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Monkeytoes - Sanctuary
    Monkeytoes - Sanctuary Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    whether you add vit or not is strictly personal preference
    i am pure dex, the only extra vit i have above base is what my equips give me
    adding to vit will increase your hp but it will gimp your damage, so youll be able to take a bit more damage but youll be dealing less damage so it will take longer to kill mobs
    on the other hand, putting those 60 points into dex will increase your damage and give you another additional 3% crit rate, so youll be more fragile but youll kill mobs faster
    so its a bit of a trade off, i prefer the pure dex route, you can shard and refine to up your hp, but nothing will give you the dex that youd give up by putting those points into vit
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Pure dex is fine, stay with it. Once you're higher level, get refined gears, and start pvping you'll be glad you went pure dex.b:victory
  • BludShot - Lost City
    BludShot - Lost City Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    ok take ur guild mate's bow, slingshot or crossbow ... and BREAK it over his head!
    cuz he does not need to have one... our job/purpose/ability is to deal max ranged damage
    as quickly as possible therefor avoiding most or all damage by the enemy. I had a lvl 70+
    archer with too many points into vit. and it suxed ... sure at low lvls it did okay but when i got lvl 70+ ,not so great.. plz keep the full dex. build even at my low lvls im noticing a BIG difference in this toon now. So .... full dex. FTMFW..
    b:surrender
  • Mythsoul - Heavens Tear
    Mythsoul - Heavens Tear Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    60 Vit would be wise, unless you want a BM to 1 shot you with Zerk + Crit
    All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.
  • Fear_Arrows - Sanctuary
    Fear_Arrows - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Lol at the BM who wants the guy to fail his archer for an easy kill...
    "damage over time skills are near useless.. the only reason I use any of them is against bosses because the animations for them look pretty good." -Keroman
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I went hybrid until i had 35 vit.
    Works fine.
    60Vit is quite alot though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • GREEN_GOD - Heavens Tear
    GREEN_GOD - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Lol Good luck getting to the archer while he crits away your health.

Don't listen to the bm who wants the easy kill Pure Dex is the way to go unless, you like failing hard and being the target of Myth over here. 60 Vit kills your crit rate. Ups your survival, but what's the point of surviving if you can't kill anything fast enough?
  • Wyiana - Heavens Tear
    Wyiana - Heavens Tear Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Killed my guild leader yesterday (lv81 bm, I was lv70) with a critted metal attack, 2995 dmg. That's roughly 70% of his hp.

Without crits archers are worthless, with crits archers are the bomb. If you add 60 vit you lose 3% crit (not to mention accuracy, evasion, and overall damage), and believe me you do NOT want that.
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Killed my guild leader yesterday (lv81 bm, I was lv70) with a critted metal attack, 2995 dmg. That's roughly 70% of his hp.

Without crits archers are worthless, with crits archers are the bomb. If you add 60 vit you lose 3% crit (not to mention accuracy, evasion, and overall damage), and believe me you do NOT want that.

Its off topic and I dont really care but...
    Why did you kill your factions leader again?
    I kill things b:victory
  • Wyiana - Heavens Tear
    Wyiana - Heavens Tear Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    oh... I meant duel... It might have been different with charms and under pvp circumstances (idk never done it), but it was just to prove a point
  • outlawarcher
    outlawarcher Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    pure dex builds rock in my opinion. give your guildmate a swift kick in the butt. going pure dex, as stated by ever archer here will up your crit rate, evason (add high evasion with wings of protection and bm would have a hard itm hitting you), accurcy, and attack power. you see a mob is getting in attack range cast winged shell, for a few seconds, you'll have the best defence in the game. you'll be able to cast knockback and aim low, frezzing it in place whilw you get some distance then use frost arrow. and kill him off with normall attacks.

archers require a bit more micro managment than other classes the skills that have are their defence.
  • Negerzoen - Dreamweaver
    Negerzoen - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I am an lvl 53. pure archer myself, with 2 rings which give me 1% crit extra. in total that gives me 14% critical hit, which means one critical hit every 7 hits. ofc it is just random when you get a critical. BUT the chances are increased so badly, putting those points in vit would just be a waiste.
    after all archers only get low amount of HP each input in VIT.

A WASTE
    Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.

- Benjamin Disraeli
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i thought we've gone over what to do about hp on pure dex builds...it's buried in one of those threads somewhere.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm a cleric, not an archer- but the principle is the same. Pure builds are ok, but I find them too fragile. I use a capped Vit build, and am doing fine.
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Your Guild leader's hp sucks.... barely has over 4k hp at lvl 81? If it only takes you 2-3 hits to kill a bm then the bm is doing something wrong
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm a cleric, not an archer- but the principle is the same. Pure builds are ok, but I find them too fragile. I use a capped Vit build, and am doing fine.

Not really. Archers that don't go pure (at least, PvP-wise) tend to lose out on the thing that makes anyone even pay attention to archers: high, fast damage. A cleric's job is to support, which they need to be alive to do. An archer, on the other hand? Best defense they have is a good offense because if someone closes in on an archer and stays close before the archer can kill them, it's bye-bye for the archer if their opponent knows how to play their class well. And as has been discussed before, mating up for HP is easy. Making up for damage, crit, evasion, and accuracy? Not-so-much.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well that's the build i've been going with since the beginning. But now that I am level 50 I heard a guild mate of mine tell me to add 60 Vit. Saying Pure Dex builds suck and so does Pure Magic builds. Any opinions on pure dex builds people?

You have no other choice of build as an archer if you wanna pvp, you have to go pure dex if you wanna kill anything. You can get away with some vitality around lvl 60-70 if you pvp against ppl same lvl. But 9X you cant have vita.

Archers metal skills and autoshoots actually don't do very high dmg unless you have like a +10+12 bow, triple spark or crit. Not b/c archers sucks more than others but b/c physical attacks in general don't do that high dmg compared to magic. Also many players tend to stack metal def and archers metal skills aren't really that powerful anyway. Archers also miss loads, just like BM and barbs does, so you need dex for max accuracy.
    At 95+ many arcane users starts having really nice phy def to, so you need all the dmg you can get unless you feel like doing 500-800 dmg to a cleric. Meaning you have to add every single point you can find into dex for dmg and accuracy.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Our metal attacks suck because they are base physical damage + skill damage where as real caster classes usually have +xxx% weapon damage. I really don't understand why people stack metal defense endgame.
  • Kuoleme - Sanctuary
    Kuoleme - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Our metal attacks suck because they are base physical damage + skill damage where as real caster classes usually have +xxx% weapon damage. I really don't understand why people stack metal defense endgame.

to try and save them from thunderstorm i guess lol
  • ColdWings - Heavens Tear
    ColdWings - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm Pure Dex. And I ****ing Love it lol .

be What you Want.
    Dont Listen Everybody. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Strong As Ice-
  • Wkdunreal - Heavens Tear
    Wkdunreal - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Go pure Dex dude!
    Vit can be easily boosted with shards n refines later on.

Archers are envied for their crits.
    We vest our pride in crits. If you are ready to trade off the pride for hp you might just be making a big blunder there.

as someone had mentioned you can boost hp with coins (refines n stuff) but you have only one way toboost your dex and that is your stat points.

Pure dex FTW.

if u boost 60 points into vit u get like 780 hp points extra true. but then it takes to hits form magic mobs to drain that much... why wait for the mobs to come n hit you? when you can blow them to smithereens with all those 60 points in dex. Mobs would never in touch you.

As far as PvP is concerned.
    "offence is the best for of defence" for an archer.
    Good luck with your archer
  • CheesyArch - Lost City
    CheesyArch - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    hmm imo, its just stupid to put in vit. if im not wrong, 1 vit adds 12 HP for archer. 12 x 60 = 720hp. 20 dex adds 1% crit rate, lots of accuracy and dex. why would u wanna waste ur AP on vit when u can put them in dex? archer's job are to kill people before they kill you. besides, u could get HP by sharding HP shards and refining ur gears. so i think its not a good idea to throw in points into vit. just my opinion, u may not like it.
  • truekossy
    edited August 2009
    13 HP, actually.

Kinda funny to think about that archers have the third highest HP gain per vit, but because of our role and how our skills work, we wind up having to ignore it in order to be effective (Speaking in terms of PvP here).
    edited August 2009

Pure Dex is fine, as long as you get that first attack.

Try having a wizard sneak up on you when you got 5 vit. noobs
    All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.
  • Seraphe - Dreamweaver
    Seraphe - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Pure Dex is fine, as long as you get that first attack.

Try having a wizard sneak up on you when you got 5 vit. noobs

Yea... if you actually read anything most of the HP for an archer comes from refining and gems so we don't need the extra health from Vit.

Something tells me 90% of the archers on here are not being "noobs"... so what a great image you've presented for yourself.
    edited August 2009
    You know how much my heavens flame hits? 1.1k, 2.2k with crit, 4.4 with crit + zerk
    Then my genie hits 3k.

Ok 5 vit is awesome sry
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You know how much my heavens flame hits? 1.1k, 2.2k with crit, 4.4 with crit + zerk
    Then my genie hits 3k.

Ok 5 vit is awesome sry

Stop this stupid rant. No smart archer will sacrafice 20% of attack power just to take another hit. Not to mention all those mobs hitting you after you add that much vit.
    I kill things b:victory
    edited August 2009
    You're right 60 vit is way too much what was I thinking.
  • truekossy
    edited August 2009
    Then my genie hits 3k.

Ok 5 vit is awesome sry

I was totally unaware the wiz you're talking about could use BM skills, or even had the ability to serk on their spells.

Ever heard of aim low? How about stunning arrow? How about Holy Path when you see the guy in heavy armor running towards you?

That aside, have fun with an archer geared like this: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=2677a171c9b652fe

Unless you crit+serk, charm ticks and they know you're there... which equals time to aim low, put some distance between you two via holy path, stunning arrow/frost if they desire to keep you behind them, and then spark + extreme poison + metal combo, oh and let's not forget they could ue offensive genie skills too, if they desired. And with the crit they have, there's a good chance they'd get a crit on one of their skills, so yeah... have fun.