Chivalry is Dead.

AceMaster - Dreamweaver
AceMaster - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
What do I mean by that?

Well, let's say that you're hunting monsters.
You and another player are going after the same one,
yet you clearly reach the monster first.

The other player still has the nerve to attack that monster.
This is KSing.

The most shicking thing is when I tell people that they are KSing
they reply: "What's KSing?"

KSing=Kill Stealing

The process in which a player attempts
to steal another player's monster
while the player is already attacking it.

This is wrong.

I'd also like to note that when two people are doing the same
quest to kill monsters it would be best to squad for faster killing.

Most people agree to that, but some don't.
They should realize that there's no obligation to friend someone if they're in your squad. :P

That's all I wanted to say.

Feel free to flame if you think my views are wrong. :P
Post edited by AceMaster - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    welcome to online gaming, people are jerks
  • Guardianmp - Heavens Tear
    Guardianmp - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't squad because I want the drops and cash; I don't care if it takes a little longer cause I'd be grinding somewhere else anyway once the quest is over.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Lag messes perception. Also because you can see them doesn't mean they see you.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't like to squad for the same reasons that Guardian said plus I like all the exp from the mobs not just some. I don't need help.

Its even more funny on my cleric i always have people asking me if i need help. The mobs don't even touch me. Why would i need help. My response is always the same, "no i don't need help. Thanks."
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roov - Heavens Tear
    Roov - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It may not be considered a nice thing to do, but it is part of the game. Saying it's wrong is your point of view in accordance to your code of conduct. Just because you feel it's wrong doesn't mean the next guy thinks it is. This is saying your way is the right way and frankly that sounds to much like religion for me to take it seriously.

And no, I don't go out and intentionally ks anyone. Simply put, if you are KS'd you are left with several options....

1) Move
    2)Try to form a squad( as you said doesn't always work)
    3) Get a group of friends to show up and clear the field repeatedly( this often turns into a pk fest if you happen to be white named or on a pk server, which can be a lot more fun than the original quest. You'll be surprised how many fun people you'll meet either killing or being killed.)
    4) Cry in world chat or the forums.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Awwwww....PvE servers b:cute

At least you not getting pk'd.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    To be fair occasionally it's an accident. Therefore I always give them the benefit of the doubt and only give out if it repeatedly happens. If your screen is angled so the other player isn't in your view, you might just see the mob and go for it, only to realize as you get there it's been targeted.

At wraith events it's sometimes funny. Wizards and archers ks'ing sucks, there's nothing you can do really.
    But sometimes I hit a mob and a cocky sword BM or Barb my own level comes along and starts spamming his silly skills while I simply attack normally.... and I pick up the items. Followed by "WTF?! hax!11"

that really makes my day b:laugh
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    What do I mean by that?

Well, let's say that you're hunting monsters.
    You and another player are going after the same one,
    yet you clearly reach the monster first.

The other player still has the nerve to attack that monster.
    This is KSing.

The most shicking thing is when I tell people that they are KSing
    they reply: "What's KSing?"

KSing=Kill Stealing

The process in which a player attempts
    to steal another player's monster
    while the player is already attacking it.

This is wrong.

I'd also like to note that when two people are doing the same
    quest to kill monsters it would be best to squad for faster killing.

Most people agree to that, but some don't.
    They should realize that there's no obligation to friend someone if they're in your squad. :P

That's all I wanted to say.

Feel free to flame if you think my views are wrong. :P
    Deliberate KSing? Yeah, that's bad. But here are some things to consider.

1. People are too quick to mark other people as KSers.

2. People are WAY too quick to mark other people as KSers.

3. You will always seem closer to a monster than other people. Have you ever raced to a mine only to find out the guy who was "clearly" behind you has somehow started mining it anyway? That's because you see yourself move before you see the other guy move, because the other guy's movements have to come through the server. In short: you may not actually have been the first one to that monster!

4. It is not the responsibility of Archers and casters to scan the area for melee classes before attacking a monster, any more than it's your responsibility to look for them. Also, an archer/caster takes awhile to charge their fist attack. Finally, an archer has a HARD time cancelling that attack... I can cancel my Take Aim / Deadly Shot, but 90% of the time I fire off a standard arrow directly after it, no matter how fast I mash Escape.

5. Did I mention people are WAY too quick to mark other people as KSers?

6. My personal code is this: if two people begin attacking at roughly the same time, it's fair game. If I begin channeling right when someone else already attacks, then I try to cancel. Most people will apologize when they think they KSed, to which I say "eh, it happens. :P" Which it does. NEVER mark someone for a KSer unless they are clearly, deliberately, attacking multiple targets of yours.

7. Oh, and people are WAY too quick to... nevermind. -_-

8. This:
    It may not be considered a nice thing to do, but it is part of the game. Saying it's wrong is your point of view in accordance to your code of conduct. Just because you feel it's wrong doesn't mean the next guy thinks it is. This is saying your way is the right way and frankly that sounds to much like religion for me to take it seriously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    There is a exp bonus for squading... If you kill mob A you get 400 exp solo.
    If you are squaded with one other person, you get 250 exp for the same kill. Even though you get less per kill, both of you combined get a exp bonus, so the same mob is worth more.

This only makes sense if both people can kill as fast, since you will be killing twice as many mobs, therefore getting extra experience for the same amount of time.

For the drops.... well, I guess you have to take a chance for the extra exp...
    Although settting the drops to free could make it easier for you to get your drops and the other person theirs.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • LadyKilla - Dreamweaver
    LadyKilla - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Awwwww....PvE servers b:cute

At least you not getting pk'd.....

lol I use to love the PvP server when I played Age of Conan. If someone was grinding my area, it means war...

Then again AoCs PvP was strictly for fun, there was no massive losses like here in PWI, which is why I'm on a PvE server... b:surrender
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    "Chivalry" is the worst possible analogy for KSing.

In medieval times, a Knight wouldn't have hesitated for a second to kill a peasant if he thought that the peasant was trying to take something that the Knight felt was rightfully "his". Rules of ownership, or "I was here first", would never have been applied.

Knights took what they wanted because they were more powerful than anyone else. Period. End of story.

So if it's chivalry that you want, then if a KSer steals kills from you, too bad. He's just being chivalrous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    "chivalry is dead, and women killed it!" ~dave chappelle during one of his standups

some sort of clash between ranged classes is nigh inevitable though. i can completely not see someone channeling at a mob because he/she's simply out of my screen. i just move on or keep going if i think i did more damage.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    Nerithos - Sanctuary Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Wolfy wins this thread.

On a side note, KSing is usually a term used by people who just sit there and QQ while the "KSer" kills more mobs so they can finish the quest/grind/whatever.

Like some other people, I usually have my graphics set to "optimize" or whatnot due to lag, and that includes turning titles off and making others outside of my range unviewable.
    Ever tried to find an invisible person? That's exactly what happens when optimized. Thus, I don't *see* anybody attacking a mob and I am surely not going to assume *somebody* out there owns the mob I'm about to attack.

Moreover, most people QQ when wiz/arch/veno spells and ranged attacks hit after they start smacking the mob. It's outrageous how often people have to be reminded of the existence of channeling time.

You can consider the start of channeling as the wizard/archer/veno equivalent of "first hit." So don't start crying about "Kill Stealing" when I outdamage you AND started attacking that mob first.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    "chivalry is dead, and women killed it!" ~dave chappelle during one of his standups

^^ LOL....thazt was a good stand-up b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• AceMaster - Dreamweaver
    AceMaster - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2009

In medieval times, a Knight wouldn't have hesitated for a second to kill a peasant if he thought that the peasant was trying to take something that the Knight felt was rightfully "his". Rules of ownership, or "I was here first", would never have been applied.

Knights took what they wanted because they were more powerful than anyone else. Period. End of story.

So if it's chivalry that you want, then if a KSer steals kills from you, too bad. He's just being chivalrous.

but we're not talking bout level 90's KSing level 10's.

As for the the squad thing, every squad I've been in has always
    been Free.

Would it hurt people to not KS?
    And, no I don't mean it like a religion.
    I'm sure that most people don't like to be KSed.

For example:

I was with my friend waiting for Charr to spawn
    so we can kill him for a quest.
    But there was a veno who was killing him like an hour before we got there.

We only needed to kill him once for the quest.
    We asked politely, but no.

That's what I mean.
    Deliberately killing mobs that other people NEED to kill.

Also, I said if someone clearly gets the monster first.
    If they attack the monster at roughly the same time then I wouln't count it as KSing.

I for one if I see that someone will get the monster before me for sure, don't go after it.
    I also refer to KSers as ones who steal monster while people already attack them.
    Not when they're just sitting there.
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    welcome to online gaming, people are jerks

We are not jerks for not squading up. I am not in a hurry to finish quests just to have to grind the rest of my levels so taking my time and doing CS each day fits better.

KSing perhaps can be seen as being a jerk.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    We only needed to kill him once for the quest.
    We asked politely, but no.

That's what I mean.
    Deliberately killing mobs that other people NEED to kill.

I believe if you see someone killing a boss like this and they do not need the kill in their squad or for themselves this would fall into a category in the TOS.

Perhaps griefing or preventing players from progressing through the game. All you need to do is contact a GM and get them to check it out. GM's will be very helpful.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    We are not jerks for not squading up. I am not in a hurry to finish quests just to have to grind the rest of my levels so taking my time and doing CS each day fits better.

KSing perhaps can be seen as being a jerk.

You took what he said WAY to seriously. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Chivalry was a code of behaviour/idea,knights themselves(for the most part) weren't chivalrous even if they pretended to be so you can't say doing what knights did is chivalrous.
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009

You just won't give up will you? STOP trying to make your greedy self sound good! You are just in it to kill the game and everyone knows it! You can't even get your terms straight you are trying to promote your greed so much!

2 definitions I found for the word.

"Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world."

the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms.

Proof you are only trying to promote greed. Get out!
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
    edited August 2009
    You just won't give up will you? STOP trying to make your greedy self sound good! You are just in it to kill the game and everyone knows it! You can't even get your terms straight you are trying to promote your greed so much!

"Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world."

the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms.

Those are based on the christian modifications of the ideal of knight, which is actualy a arab ideal, brought into europe when the moros invaded Portugal and Spain.

Also keep in mind that people were not equal, and that a knight would not lower himself to help a peasant unless it was something that brought him a benefit. Peasants and non-land owning people were not considered equals. The all chivalry is based on behaviour among equals, and hierarquic interactions between the different levels of nobility, knights, and land-owning people.

It was not till later, with the emergence of the trading classes, that the line started to change to include how a gentleman should behave, and that brought in the inclusion of the lower classes.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Those are based on the christian modifications of the ideal of knight, which is actualy a arab ideal, brought into europe when the moros invaded Portugal and Spain.

Also keep in mind that people were not equal, and that a knight would not lower himself to help a peasant unless it was something that brought him a benefit. Peasants and non-land owning people were not considered equals. The all chivalry is based on behaviour among equals, and hierarquic interactions between the different levels of nobility, knights, and land-owning people.

It was not till later, with the emergence of the trading classes, that the line started to change to include how a gentleman should behave, and that brought in the inclusion of the lower classes.

Why must you guys make things so complicated. chivalry simply describe the action of the guy thats still breathing at end of the day. after all winners writes history.
    edited August 2009
    Why must you guys make things so complicated. chivalry simply describe the action of the guy thats still breathing at end of the day. after all winners writes history.

lmao, well said.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Get serious.

You most certainly are not a "knight", and your fellow player who isn't killing mobs as fast, or fellow lower level player who needs help with a boss is most certainly not a "peasant".

Your above statement is actually a good example of how higher leveled or richer players actually think, and to be honest, it's really sad. You do realise that the nub you look down on or ignore, could actually be an extremely intelligent individual in a job paying 10 times yours, who has double the friends?

These are real people. Your mmo "status" does not grant you any real status or power over them.
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2009

And no, I don't go out and intentionally ks anyone. Simply put, if you are KS'd you are left with several options....

1) Move
    2)Try to form a squad( as you said doesn't always work)
    3) Get a group of friends to show up and clear the field repeatedly( this often turns into a pk fest if you happen to be white named or on a pk server, which can be a lot more fun than the original quest. You'll be surprised how many fun people you'll meet either killing or being killed.)
    4) Cry in world chat or the forums.

There is a clause in the terms of service that this would fall under. Its called griefing other players, it also could fall under harrassment.

Of course that doesn't mean if someone does it once that they are griefing or harrassing you. But.. if someone does it repeatedly and/or openly admits they are doing it on purpose, screenshot, ticket.. and they can get the ban hammer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Get serious.

You most certainly are not a "knight", and your fellow player who isn't killing mobs as fast, or fellow lower level player who needs help with a boss is most certainly not a "peasant".

Your above statement is actually a good example of how higher leveled or richer players actually think, and to be honest, it's really sad. You do realise that the nub you look down on or ignore, could actually be an extremely intelligent individual in a job paying 10 times yours, who has double the friends?

These are real people. Your mmo "status" does not grant you any real status or power over them.

My post was a reply to the "chivalry is dead" and Zoes reply. And their RL status does not grant them any status in game either, so what is your point?

Learn how to read. My statement is a fact, like it or not, that is how things were in the time of knights. The all chivalry is based on those times, so you need to know history to understand it. I never said that is how people should act in todays society, did I?

The same way the US Constitution say all men are created equal, however that did not include women or slaves, they had to amment the constitution at a later date to include that (the all civil rights movement, and the women's rights).
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    ...you're all dead to me. Remember, this is a CHINESE-themed game...none of your hoity-toity knights and chivalry and other TOTALLY WRONG ideals. Just shut it, kick back, and enjoy a nice tall glass of Awesome-Sauce!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Arliana - Dreamweaver
    Arliana - Dreamweaver Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    This is kinda like Silverfrost and Dismal shade. most players have no problem bringing dismal shade to a group killing silverfrost to have extra dmg added. yet, when dismal doesnt count for them, they qq and ***** about how high lvls are being ******** and the like.
    edited August 2009
    ...you're all dead to me. Remember, this is a CHINESE-themed game...none of your hoity-toity knights and chivalry and other TOTALLY WRONG ideals. Just shut it, kick back, and enjoy a nice tall glass of Awesome-Sauce!

I'll take a iced coffee if you have one please
  • Daerina - Heavens Tear
    Daerina - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i agree on the KSing, i've come across a couple people who didn't know what KSing is, and once even came across someone who diligently argued that it is not who does the most damage that gets the kill but whoever kills it first thus making KSing impossible in this game.... *facepalms* i tried to correct him but he didn't listen >.> either way in the end, I'd prefer to solo the monster and get full exp rather than split it

also the same reason why I disagree about the comment about squads, just because I am killing the same monsters as another, most of the time I'd prefer to do it by myself, it's not about speed for me, it's about getting the most exp, coin and drops out of a quest I can, because at my level every bit of exp and coin matters and quests are too few to share every single one. But that is just my personal preference, it has nothing to do with being a jerk or non-chivalrous, it's just how I like to play the game. KSing, however, is just rude.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Daerina~Lvl79 Venomancer
    Sunny_Dae~Lvl41 Cleric
    follow me on twitter b:victory twitter.com/Daerina