So how are you supposed to play this game without money?

Options
Nigrosity - Heavens Tear
Nigrosity - Heavens Tear Posts: 116 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Chronicles
After being factionless for two weeks now I am broke as hell, can't even CS anymore. With this in mind I tried to join a faction, and naturally mentioned the fact that they give TW pay was part of my incentive. For this I was immediately flamed MULTIPLE times about "don't come around here asking for our money" etc. and my "application" was rejected.

What the ****? I need about fifteen ****ing million coin just to hit level 90, which is my main goal. Without a source of ingame income (I am broke IRL too and will not spend more than I have on this game), I can't even buy charms to do TT runs to make new armor. So w/o money:

No CS
No TW
No new gear
No upgraded gear

Basically no reason to play. What I'm getting at here, is it WRONG to expect TW pay when you are putting in your time, helping people, and trying to advance yourself in the process? I feel like I just ran into a flaming wall of nerd-**** on this one, but the bottom line is if people won't let me in because I'm going to "take their money" then do I even have any options but to just quit and find a new game?
Post edited by Nigrosity - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Adeacia - Heavens Tear
    Adeacia - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You must be no good at making money in the game then. I don't find it hard by simply grinding. Regardless of which class I'm playing.
  • darkjagans
    darkjagans Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well TW-pay is fairly common?
    Well at least for the big factions that has land anyways.

However, I'm not in a TW Faction and I've never spent real money on the game and I've been able to hit 95 with TT90 gear etc, even though they are only refined to +2 and +3, i'm fairly content.

Maybe you need to take some time to think carefully to develop a good method to make coins instead of blaming being poor due to no TW-paychecks
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Mostly if you want to play this game without money you're supposed to grind.

And money will NEVER come as fast as if you'd sold gold that you paid for with cash, it's just a fact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Learn a good mat cycle and sell those. Do it for awhile to build up money before using it on things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Learn a good mat cycle and sell those. Do it for awhile to build up money before using it on things.

Not every class can grind continually without it costing them. It's rude to take away their ability to farm in the area they're grinding in.
    I am broke as hell, can't even CS anymore.

The problem is obvious. Try actually playing the game rather than taking the free rides that cash shop players use.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • darkjagans
    edited August 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Not every class can grind continually without it costing them. It's rude to take away their ability to farm in the area they're grinding in.
    Farming a mat cycle does not mean grinding, it's simply planning a 10min route (mats take 10mins to respawn) of gathering mats and selling them, costs nothing, except maybe for a ground mount to improve efficiency which i would assume a person of his level would have
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Adding along to darkjagans. Mats don't belong to anyone until picked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    darkjagans wrote: »
    Farming a mat cycle does not mean grinding, it's simply planning a 10min route (mats take 10mins to respawn) of gathering mats and selling them, costs nothing, except maybe for a ground mount to improve efficiency which i would assume a person of his level would have

You're taking away their ability to do something productive while waiting for MP regen. It's rude.
  • darkjagans
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You're taking away their ability to do something productive while waiting for MP regen. It's rude.

uh... ok... >_>
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The problem is obvious. Try actually playing the game rather than taking the free rides that cash shop players use.

I think that was a reference to Crazy Stone, not Cash Shop.

In answer to the OP... yeah it sucks, I feel more broke now than I used to be at low levels b:cry. Since I don't play a wizard, I don't know your strengths and weaknesses but it seems like farming some mats isn't a bad idea (mid-mats are highly contested, but the others are less busy, and almost as profitable).
  • Yserra - Sanctuary
    Yserra - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with mat farming if it's what you need to do to gain a bit of coin. Sure, I see higher level people flying/riding towards the nodes that I planned on farming, but in all fairness... these things are everywhere and respawn quick. If I really need the mats for actually leveling my tradeskills then of course I'll do nothing but farm, but half the time while I'm out questing I'll just pick up the mats while their next to the mobs I'm killing because it's convienient and not out of the way. I can see how the Cash Shop would be VERY handy because of the inventory/bank/wardrobe stones and all that, but it's nothing you can't just simply save up for to get out of a Cat Shop.

If you're unsure about what mats sell the most, I've found that ore, wood, and cotton thread are best.

DQ items sell really hot too! They normally vendor for around 800-5,000 depending on what level the mobs are, but you can jack up the prices on them for your cat shop. Also, if you have two seperate computers you can set up another account on the other one and use that solely for cat shopping. Pop whatever items you have in it and leave it there to sell while you grind on your main.
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You must be no good at making money in the game then. I don't find it hard by simply grinding. Regardless of which class I'm playing.

Not everyone has hours and hours to grind on this game. There are a lot of high levels who just come on a character JUST for TW and a pay check. I agree with him.. If high levels are wanting in that regard why should it be any different.

On a side note, I've made another character that I am sinking experience into a genie with and farming stuff like dull claws, hay and rough fur. Over the span of 4 days doing nothing but that while I'm on the game, I've made over 2 million coins. Its the first productive character I've had, and the strongest as I've been able to get all my skills.

I tend to agree with this, and let me tell you why: I have been out fighting, seen a mat I needed and in order to get to it I had to fight an aggro creature off of it. While in battle someone on a mount (seemingly in a route) storms up and takes it while I'm killing the creature that was (defending) the mat. Nothing makes me madder in this game than that. Yeah. I used my HP and MP so that YOU YOU YOU could farm that you inconsiderate persons!!!! This has happened to me repeatedly on several characters and its irritating as heck. Its not even about the mat at that point, its about the level of disrespect for someone to earn an extra buck off your hard work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I think that was a reference to Crazy Stone, not Cash Shop.

That was understood. There's nothing that kills your coin to XP ratio more than Crazy Stone that I know of. It wastes your time when you could be earning rep, coin, etc, it's also boring, and it costs you. World Quest will kill your coin to xp ratio as well, is also boring, wastes your time, etc.

Merchanting is part of the game. One Man Army pays rep, coin, mirage frags, xp, sp, items, etc.
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    That was understood.

My mistake! Ignore me :).
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I tend to agree with this, and let me tell you why: I have been out fighting, seen a mat I needed and in order to get to it I had to fight an aggro creature off of it. While in battle someone on a mount (seemingly in a route) storms up and takes it while I'm killing the creature that was (defending) the mat. Nothing makes me madder in this game than that. Yeah. I used my HP and MP so that YOU YOU YOU could farm that you inconsiderate persons!!!! This has happened to me repeatedly on several characters and its irritating as heck. Its not even about the mat at that point, its about the level of disrespect for someone to earn an extra buck off your hard work.

There is a difference between running a mat route and stealing from someone obviously fighting a monster to get the mine, the former is perfectly fine, the latter is what I refer to as ninja looting/mining, and is rude.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Options
    There is a difference between running a mat route and stealing from someone obviously fighting a monster to get the mine, the former is perfectly fine, the latter is what I refer to as ninja looting/mining, and is rude.

The question is, how many people do you think on a route would actually pass that mat up? Because from what I've seen across the span of 8 months I've played this game is there are very few(but they do exist)persons with that level of humility.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkjagans
    edited August 2009
    Options
    That was understood. There's nothing that kills your coin to XP ratio more than Crazy Stone that I know of. It wastes your time when you could be earning rep, coin, etc, it's also boring, and it costs you. World Quest will kill your coin to xp ratio as well, is also boring, wastes your time, etc.

Merchanting is part of the game. One Man Army pays rep, coin, mirage frags, xp, sp, items, etc.

well then it's all about priorities, it's what you want more of

and from what i can understand, OP is in urgent need of coins

rep?
    not gona bother wasting my time on that

mirage and frags?
    i can buy it with the money i just earned (i can easily farm 300-400k worth of high mats in an hour, assuming i can sell them for 1.8-2k each)

items?
    i buy them :)

exp?
    oracles :)
    ok not the best way to get exp... but you gota sacrifice somthing to earn more money :P

sp?
    got huge amounts of that just from quests, dailies etc, used more than 15m on genies and i still have 16m of it laying there

boring?
    well... can't argue there, i fall asleep sometimes
  • Scoped - Lost City
    Scoped - Lost City Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I know a lot of people that merchant sales and events to make cash (ive made 15mill in a couple of days through jolly jones) and I have merchanted some sales myself. I havent cash shopped in a LONG time and im richer now than i ever was
  • Nigrosity - Heavens Tear
    Nigrosity - Heavens Tear Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    guys, I have ground my **** off before, the bottom line is even if I do 2-2 cash runs for about 200k an hour, that is still selling my time for like $1.50/hr uS. While TT and grinding is fun, when you need like 15-20 million ingame coin, 200k an hour starts to look like work. While I enjoy doing the weekly TT's and TW's, the point is that late-game there's is so much work for so little reward that it's becoming harder to justify playing seriously, and every time I do take a break I fall abit further behind the people I started playing with.

people are trying to get me to start playing Jade Dynasty now, among other games, and I reallllly want to keep this one up......but it takes more $$$ than I can grind.
  • Devisionx - Sanctuary
    Devisionx - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Common, you can make 1mil in about 3h by farming. Sure, it's not very exciting, but that's the way you earn money if you are not willing to pay real money.
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I know a lot of people that merchant sales and events to make cash (ive made 15mill in a couple of days through jolly jones) and I have merchanted some sales myself. I havent cash shopped in a LONG time and im richer now than i ever was

Yes but lets be real. The ONLY way you did that was with REAL money. With what the event stuff is going for, there is no way you bought angels or spent 100k per item and came out ahead. Just not happening. So you either used real money or had a hand out. I don't dispute you may have made 15 mil, but with scarlet fruit at 30k and lowering and the same with the other things.. its not feesible that you did it any other way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Options
    guys, I have ground my **** off before, the bottom line is even if I do 2-2 cash runs for about 200k an hour, that is still selling my time for like $1.50/hr uS. While TT and grinding is fun, when you need like 15-20 million ingame coin, 200k an hour starts to look like work. While I enjoy doing the weekly TT's and TW's, the point is that late-game there's is so much work for so little reward that it's becoming harder to justify playing seriously, and every time I do take a break I fall abit further behind the people I started playing with.

people are trying to get me to start playing Jade Dynasty now, among other games, and I reallllly want to keep this one up......but it takes more $$$ than I can grind.

This is exactly why I made other characters to play. You can still do WQ and CS and level slowly, build up your quests and then resume play at a later time. While farming on the low level and getting good stuff to sell.
    Common, you can make 1mil in about 3h by farming. Sure, it's not very exciting, but that's the way you earn money if you are not willing to pay real money.

I have never made that amount of money by farming in just 3 hours and I'm lvl 73. After charms or pots/ repairs and such thats not easy to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    cuz ppl is gentle and will leave u farm mid mats without stalk or attempt to take ur mat route

right ?
    Yes but lets be real. The ONLY way you did that was with REAL money. With what the event stuff is going for, there is no way you bought angels or spent 100k per item and came out ahead. Just not happening. So you either used real money or had a hand out. I don't dispute you may have made 15 mil, but with scarlet fruit at 30k and lowering and the same with the other things.. its not feesible that you did it any other way.
    I think the same thing, I tried to buy during sales and then sell at higher price after the end of it and I didn't gain much cuz I couldn't buy that many items during the sale even with several million coins

also right now (as u can see with charms) if there is a sale the prices will be aniway too high to buy with coins (with dragon orb sales the orb here are at same price as before, even higher) and u can't make profit from then so stop with this BS: "be smart and u'll gain money"

we don't have "banks" here to start a business, u start with zen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    darkjagans wrote: »
    well then it's all about priorities, it's what you want more of

and from what i can understand, OP is in urgent need of coins

Easy enough problem to fix. Die often, don't use angels (sell what you have). There is no more drop items for blue names.
    rep?
    not gona bother wasting my time on that

I understand, but it's really no waste of time. People can use the break from grinding after 40-60 mobs, can collect mats going to and from NPC, and it gives MP/HP recovery time.
    mirage and frags?
    i can buy it with the money i just earned (i can easily farm 300-400k worth of high mats in an hour, assuming i can sell them for 1.8-2k each)

What we have here is people who get their xp the lazy boring expensive way (CS/WQ/CoF). Then they have to make up their coin to xp ratio the lazy boring way (farm mats, buy and sell). In the end it balances out, but they make the game more boring for themselves and interfere with other's experience (taking mats from their grind area).
    boring?
    well... can't argue there, i fall asleep sometimes

I wonder if people ask themselves why they play this game? I agree with others that the game is stupid easy BUT it can also be as difficult as you make it. The game can also be boring, but it can also only be as exciting as you allow it.
  • Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You can get money grinding on monsters close to your level, especially if they are in the air. You do not need some Faction's TW pay. You can also go with them on TT/other Grinds and get a bit from this as well.
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You can get money grinding on monsters close to your level, especially if they are in the air. You do not need some Faction's TW pay. You can also go with them on TT/other Grinds and get a bit from this as well.

Yeah, you really actually lose money on TW. The pay just helps to compensate the loss. I could care less if I'm in a TW faction or not. Most often TW is boring and wastes time when I could be advancing my character and earning coin.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    you could grind....i was sitting on a comfortable 30mil (recently decreased due to jolly jones...but expected to increase afterwards kukuku) mostly from grinding. and crazy stone is not expensive. 20 dq81s gets you crazystone - less than 30min of grinding.

also, don't get useless **** like clothes, mounts, new aerogear, etc etc. something that's fast will do, don't need to get a new one for every update. and don't zhen unless you want to be poor. even if they give you drops, it's not going to gain you money, you get it? you can reach 90 but not be rich enough to buy your equip. if you want to have coinage, zhen is not the way to go

i realize that archers grind cheap, but wizards can't be that bad either. at the very least, no repair costs like what melee classes have to deal with right?
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    20 dq81s gets you crazystone - less than 30min of grinding.

are u serious, in 30 minutes I can't even get 4 DQs cuz of lame drop rates to make u buy golds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    yer a barb...i wouldn't tell you to solo grind but the OP is a wiz and range is advantageous in solo grinding. i honestly make a good 200k an hour hitting fish at sea of isolation and that's the profit after eso, ammo, and repair costs
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
This discussion has been closed.