What are the exciting/challenging parts of a Veno?

Options
2»

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Hmm.. well isnt that what a cleric does as well? I mean in regular grinding its not so much the same, seeing as, to my understanding, clerics just find magic mobs (preferably wood) and then just tank it. But in any other situation, party based wise, all you do is heal. The only + a veno has is, they dont have to go looking for a tank. And I believe that the veno has to be one of the funnest (is that a word?) classes to play. Why? simple because of the fact that we can go solo instances and such by ourselves, creating challenges that are possible (but hard) for us while impossible for others. Personally, I think clerics are the most boring of all classes. Essential, yes, but boring none the less.b:cute
    See, the thing is ima lazy cleric when im soloing b:chuckle so I dont choose magic mobs but just any mob that I can kill in a set number of hits. Even if it means to position myself where 4-6 physical mobs spawn on top of me and using me as a punching bag draining both charms like water. When I dont have responsibility Im that rash. (and its kinda fun!)

In squad its different tho. Like the sterotype that all veno gotta do in squad is pull and heal pet, clerics arent just heal too. You gotta deal with heals, keep up the debuffs, and can put in some attacks if at a constant rate, while keeping an eye on the 5 children in your squad not just the mob. Basically we gotta watch where the hell everyone goes, who the **** get aggro by mistake, watch the mob radar (cause most melee are oblivious and dont check the chat when they are attacking) We are the nanny. The thing that makes it frustrating is that the cleric skills have MAJOR lag in target switching which just doubles the hassle. (aka you need to switch to next target while your first spell is in mid cast if youve got multiple things to do) Its probably the only class that cant go AFK (yeah even in BB) or something gets killed in your squad.
    I was curious, cause in this sense, the (non lazy) veno seemed very similar. And Holy, you need to squad with better clerics lol, if thats all what your squaded cleric does, its a fail. (honestly i am a tad bit surprised tho that at your lvl you didnt realize this, no offense)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I enjoy my veno over my Wiz and Cleric mostly for the purposes of having fun looking pets that you can change all the time. It may be a cosmetic thing but that is my reasoning.

I got bored playing my Wizard because it was the same old thing and most things were easy to kill.

My Cleric was fun since I made him a Heavy Armour Dual Blade Cleric. But he got useless at higher levels.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    veno w/ nix VS veno w/ nix could be the only challenging part of being a veno <_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    See, the thing is ima lazy cleric when im soloing b:chuckle so I dont choose magic mobs but just any mob that I can kill in a set number of hits. Even if it means to position myself where 4-6 physical mobs spawn on top of me and using me as a punching bag draining both charms like water. When I dont have responsibility Im that rash. (and its kinda fun!)

In squad its different tho. Like the sterotype that all veno gotta do in squad is pull and heal pet, clerics arent just heal too. You gotta deal with heals, keep up the debuffs, and can put in some attacks if at a constant rate, while keeping an eye on the 5 children in your squad not just the mob. Basically we gotta watch where the hell everyone goes, who the **** get aggro by mistake, watch the mob radar (cause most melee are oblivious and dont check the chat when they are attacking) We are the nanny. The thing that makes it frustrating is that the cleric skills have MAJOR lag in target switching which just doubles the hassle. (aka you need to switch to next target while your first spell is in mid cast if youve got multiple things to do) Its probably the only class that cant go AFK (yeah even in BB) or something gets killed in your squad.
    I was curious, cause in this sense, the (non lazy) veno seemed very similar. And Holy, you need to squad with better clerics lol, if thats all what your squaded cleric does, its a fail. (honestly i am a tad bit surprised tho that at your lvl you didnt realize this, no offense)

First off, I apologize for failing to include the clerics role of keeping everyone buffed, purify and the likes. however, to me, its still not convincing enough to say that the life of a cleric is more exciting than that of a venos, seeing as I do not consider hectic and exciting as parallel situations. I guess my response came about from what seemed to be your generalization that all venos do is throw a pet and heal heal heal. It really is , as you said, how you play the game. Although, I see more versality in the game play of veno, who has multiple pets, skill trees and builds, versus a cleric's quite linear role or should i say "roles".

As for the cleric I play with, he is the only one I can trust to not fail and is put at ease with his presence on the team more than any other clerics. Calling him out was mean >.< bad deceptistar!

p.s. - truth is, I'm as lazy as you :P
    p.p.s - my level means nothing. I'm a noob for life, seeing as i never stop learning. so none taken b:cute
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Ok so we heard the complaints and the OP issue numerous times.
    But what are the exciting and challenging things of rolling a veno? I quite my veno @lv3 (LMAO) cause all i was doing was healing my pet and that excitement emotionally killed me. But reading all these recent veno threads, Im wondering if I can get past this boring stage, it might actually be fun? I know some classes are shi*tty boring at first but gradually they get fun.

The most exiting part is to pull and then call teh tanking pet prior the mob gets close to youb:chuckle.

This appears to be complicated in some cases as a veno friend asked me to get extreme poison (genie skill) for me to pull and her to tank.

Then I said to her: why dont you get extreme poison yourself? she answered: "i;m too lazy".

LOL

Another thing is to grind enough to get your herc or phoenix. lol
    edited July 2009
    Options
    however, to me, its still not convincing enough to say that the life of a cleric is more exciting than that of a venos, seeing as I do not consider hectic and exciting as parallel situations.
    I can admit it aint fun at all D= just tiresome
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    after 80 there is nothing exciting about any of the classes... just grind... grind.. zhen.. fish.... /wrists
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Try tanking a boss that can kill your pet in 2 hits. That's part of the fun.

I do that all the time. In Fox Form. b:laugh
  • Desiree - Harshlands
    Desiree - Harshlands Posts: 635 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Most challenging part of playing a veno is PvP against a venonixer that runs. This happens when a venonixer noob sends her nix after me, discovers that I tanked the bleed without prob, then runs like hell as I chase after her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Most challenging part of playing a veno is PvP against a venonixer that runs. This happens when a venonixer noob sends her nix after me, discovers that I tanked the bleed without prob, then runs like hell as I chase after her.
    oh god lol thats just SAD b:laugh
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    To answer your question, the build. Makes it fun and challenging all the timeb:victory
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Seratielle - Sanctuary
    Seratielle - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I would say the most exciting part of being a veno is dealing with the stereotype of being a KSer, greedy, lazy, or unskilled, and then have people ask you to tank bosses for them or help them with quests..

Personally, I find the veno to be more enjoyable than other classes (haven't tried a wiz yet though), with the cleric being a close second. As a veno you have the versatility of being able to tank or support and you are always looking out for someone other than yourself, even if it's just your pet (that is what I do; not sure about others). If someone in your squad accidentally gets an add, you can switch your pet over and manage it at the same time as keeping an eye on the other mob(s), making sure you don't get aggro or that your pet doesn't die.

When tanking, it can be a challenge to work out timing for casts between healing if it's a tough boss. If you are tanking, you have to take extra care to ensure your pet doesn't die as chances are that pet dies -> 1 or 2 hit knock out for you -> boss goes for other people in the squad (if you don't have a levelled back-up pet appropriate for the situation).

When supporting, you have to make sure your stun skill or hollow fist doesn't overwrite the longer-lasting stun and bleed skills of other classes; keep Ironwood up as much as possible to make phys attacks from the rest of the squad hit harder; and also turn off the pet skill in case it takes aggro and constantly watch for that. Luring is of great benefit to everyone in the party but you have to react quickly if noone catches the mob in time or they attack too early, before the lured mob is out of range of the others nearby. Luring itself can be exciting and a challenge (20/20/20 being a perfect example).

There are people from all classes who will ask for help with every single normal quest and those who will see the quests as an opportunity to improve their skill in playing their class, meaning learning all the little tricks that will save your butt when things go awry. At the end of the day, regardless of your class, if you want to take the easy out, you will. Likewise, a seemingly easy class can have complexities to it that, while they may not be your idea of a challenge, would keep the person playing the character rather busy.
  • Hoar - Sanctuary
    Hoar - Sanctuary Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I love the change in builds, I chose LA for now going arcane at 90.
    b:victory
    A fun challenge for me and my hunny was saving coin for herc and nix. (yes thats right COIN! :o) Really makes you feel like your character is worth playing a bit putting all of that work into it.
  • LinZeta - Lost City
    LinZeta - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Try tanking a boss that can kill your pet in 2 hits. That's part of the fun.

Yeah, and then get pwned by low channeling speed.b:surrender

ONLY reason I can't solo HH yet. Too busy maxing skills instead of buying -%channeling gear, lol.

*sigh*
  • Hari - Heavens Tear
    Hari - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    The fun part - for me, anyway - is doing stuff WITHOUT a herc. I plan on getting one eventually, but seriously it's so much more challenging (and fun) playing without one, and I can say fairly confidently that I'm a far better veno than most herc venos because of that.

Take, for example, me tanking the first 3-1 boss with a magmite, and no -% channeling. I'm fairly sure no other veno with my stats could do this, but since before hercs came out I've been customizing my pet's skills, and growing more knowledgeable in the use of them.

Yes, I'm aware simply getting a herc solves this problem... but it makes the game so much more boring. Yes, you can genie lure and have your tank pet out already, but it's an adrenaline rush trying to lure a boss, dismiss lure pet, get tank out, and grab the boss all before the boss gets close enough to hit you.

That's just my thoughts... I still find playing venos fun because I more or less make it a challenge myself.
    HT clerics at their finest:

hari: can you do mdef debuffs? makes the fight go faster
    naughty_x: waste, I do more damage without them
    hari: ...you do more damage in 2 seconds than reducing mdef by 35% for 4 casters does in 20 seconds?
    naughty_x: is waste, i do more damage

hari: 3-3 BH goes a lot faster with a sin
    naughty_x: no, only a difference of like 3 minutes
    hari: ...we've been in here a lot longer than 3 minutes already
    naughty_x: your opinion