What are the exciting/challenging parts of a Veno?

Options
Deceptistar - Sanctuary
Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
Ok so we heard the complaints and the OP issue numerous times.
But what are the exciting and challenging things of rolling a veno? I quite my veno @lv3 (LMAO) cause all i was doing was healing my pet and that excitement emotionally killed me. But reading all these recent veno threads, Im wondering if I can get past this boring stage, it might actually be fun? I know some classes are shi*tty boring at first but gradually they get fun.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
Post edited by Deceptistar - Sanctuary on

Comments

• OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Seeing what you can do with off builds, or builds that aren't pure mage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    The challenge is digging into your wallet and folk out $400 for herc and nix, in order to not be underpowered compared to other classes.b:chuckle
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    i think it gets fun when you have skills on both sides of the tree...venos can get so versatile, able to deal with probably all situations mob related.

sure it may not be the most efficient way to play, but it's a lot of fun to go fox, take on multiple mobs with your pet and you, and hope leech, transfusion, mist, stunning blow etc etc saves you. i've juggled up to 4 mobs between my pet and me, and it's pretty exciting (despite lots of running around, probably taking twice as much times to take out the mobs as just "normally" playing)

if you're fast with your hot keys and genie abilities, you can get into situations i wouldn't attempt with the archer and come out victorious, but barely hanging on. somehow having your life in constant danger makes it not feel like grinding anymore b:chuckle

but my veno's only 49 atm...ask isala or something

of course other times efficiency wins over play, and i get back to spamming iron/venomous in caster form...that part's rather monotonous, but it's honestly not much worse than frost arrow + shoot-til-dead with archer
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    For me its kinda fun to go to eden and farm for pages from mobs when your only lvl 64 with herc (thank god for bramble hood), farm fbs repeatedly to get molds, and seeing if you can solo certain bosses when your underlvled. Nix is great at how fast it kills stuff and if someone used to ks you now you can get them back. However you will always have to heal, heal, heal your pet and lvling pets to me has gotten to the stage where it seems more like a chore then a fun thing to do. My veno is now my alt that i use to help my guildies with bosses and TT other then that i do not play unless i need mats. Picking mats is rather competative on pve since people have no qualms about taking mats when you have cleared it so i pick on my veno. Pet takes mob and i take mat.
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I like the fact that you can solo bosses. Most people think it gives venos some other reason they're ownage, but it actually provides a challenge. Most classes get some high level buddies and kill it in 1 minute. The fact that venomancers are powerful at PvE actually gives us the opportunity to challenge ourselves. There's also grinding on higher level mobs.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Try tanking a boss that can kill your pet in 2 hits. That's part of the fun.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    But what are the exciting and challenging things of rolling a veno? I quite my veno @lv3 (LMAO) cause all i was doing was healing my pet and that excitement emotionally killed me. But reading all these recent veno threads, Im wondering if I can get past this boring stage, it might actually be fun? I know some classes are shi*tty boring at first but gradually they get fun.

Is this a serious thread? I recently rerolled a new Veno on another server and I didn't even need to heal my pet till I was past level 10 which only took a couple of hrs.
    Yes Venos are fun, you just need to spend more than a few minutes and get to a decent level. I don't think you can judge any of the classes in the game at level 3.
  • Bebisita - Dreamweaver
    Bebisita - Dreamweaver Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    What's fun and exciting to one person won't necessarily be fun and exciting for the next.
    You can search out people's reasons for liking a certain class but if you didn't come to the conclusions on your own, it's not a class for you. You know, like, no point in forcing yourself to level a character you can't stand just to figure out why people like it. I guess ... D:
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Is this a serious thread? I recently rerolled a new Veno on another server and I didn't even need to heal my pet till I was past level 10 which only took a couple of hrs.
    Yes Venos are fun, you just need to spend more than a few minutes and get to a decent level.
    Yeah its serious, I was having my pet tank a lv8 mob while a was lv3 and below =P
    I don't think you can judge any of the classes in the game at level 3.
    Erm... what part of the starting quote did I judge? All I stated was that I got bored. If your telling me I cant judge my own feelings your weird >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    hrmm...

Played a veno since before the time of the herc and nix, so don't know how much this applies right now: the ability to tame many different mobs, which then turn in to pets with different attributes, looks, starting skills, etc.

finding out which pets are best for what tasks, leveling different pets and see the differences between them grow (since they start out pretty much the same, then the growth charts kick in), and also using different pet skills. This gives venos a large palette to work with when it comes to figuring out your strategies for different situations. Venos themselves can get away with just about any build, so it's a very versatile class to work with and explore with. At level 70 I solo'ed that level 70 quest where you have 40 minutes to dig a cauldron in the middle of four un-lurable mobs and two circling elites, all of which respawns pretty fast. Did it with a magmite and a frog and some pots. Don't know how other classes handle that quest though, and the quest rewards really aren't much. but it was fun figuring out how to do it with what you have on hand. Same goes for trying out which bosses you can tank and with which pets and what strategies. It's kinda suicidal, but yeah. XD

Now days with herc's super pdef and mdef, in PVE you can tank/kill just about anything that doesn't have HP or defense debuffs or AOEs, and the strategy for tanking bosses is pretty much just to spam heal herc. And, well... everybody already knows about the nix's PVP abilities.b:shutup

And there's much less options for choosing pet skills since hercs and nixs come with a set of highly desirable and ultra rare skills that nobody wants to replace (pets can only have 4 skills at a time and herc and nix comes with 3-4 that thou shalt not delete). However, hercs and nixs do allow venos to help their friends and guildmates with some things that they were previously pretty useless at, so i guess they bring in a different kind of fun and excitement.

another thing that I enjoy is learning how to play the veno class. i guess you can say that about all the other classes too, but the veno is the only class that has pets, and that means they have one more hotkey bar than the rest of the classes. You can use it to play various tricks on mobs b:chuckle
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I would say it is killing things 10 or 15 lvls higher than you and getting better drops than other classes.the challenged is raising and selling of pet eggs.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Hidden - Lost City
    Hidden - Lost City Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    the single greatest challenge for my veno right now is not falling asleep while healing herc on hh bosses.
  • Lucky_Curse - Lost City
    Lucky_Curse - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    lol XD i know what you mean, i can't play a barb in this game, i get bored of it for some random reason.

But honestly i find venos a new class, i played a few mmorpg and i never played one that you had to control two charactors at the same time.

I like to challenge my Veno and go a bit suicidal taking five mobs at the same time. First send my pet into a group of mobs let him take a few hits send a aoe poison in and followed up with a quick heal for my pet. Then go into fox form, leech one, freeze one, and move back a few steps, go back to human form hp heal. One or two venom. scrabs, then back to fox, soul transfusion, and finish the mobs and while i'm doing this i'm having my pet retaking aggro so i can redo my aoe poison.
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    there is no challlenge in a veno. at all. send your pet in and /heal. all you have to do.
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lucky_Curse - Lost City
    Lucky_Curse - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    if your a lazy veno you would just depend on ur pet to do most of the work...

like they say (whoever that was)

"There's more than one way to skin cat"

so you dont have to play like a healing robot following your pet around
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Try tanking a boss that can kill your pet in 2 hits. That's part of the fun.
    I consider that to be extraordinarily boring. All you're doing is spam healing. In fact I have a paperweight next to my keyboard for these cases. I use it to keep the pet heal key mashed down while I watch TV.
    there is no challlenge in a veno. at all. send your pet in and /heal. all you have to do.
    The veno is as challenging as you make it. You can send the pet in and heal it if that's all you want to do. It'll be slow and boring, but it'll work.

I find all the other classes (except cleric) to be boring because they're so one-dimensional. Your options are to kill, or kill faster. With a cleric/veno, you have to decide whether it'll be better to kill faster or pause to heal. Or maybe debuffing would be more effective. Your options span multiple dimensions, and working through them to evaluate their advantages and tradeoffs to figure out the best one for any given situation is quite challenging.

The veno surpasses the cleric in complexity because it has so many viable builds. With a cleric, you play a caster in arcane armor. Maybe you might go light, but that's generally discouraged. A veno can be made to work in arcane, light, or heavy armor. Caster or melee are also both effective. And in many cases you can switch between these builds on the fly (e.g. switch to melee if you run across an increased magical defense mob). I switch between heavy and arcane armor, or sometimes a mix of the two depending on what my group is fighting. And I switch between caster and melee mode, often within a single fight.

I posted all the different things I typically do in a group boss fight. You can play a veno simply and be bored to tears, or you can have a lot of fun making it as complex as you like.:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2984102#post2984102
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I consider that to be extraordinarily boring. All you're doing is spam healing. In fact I have a paperweight next to my keyboard for these cases. I use it to keep the pet heal key mashed down while I watch TV.

The veno is as challenging as you make it. You can send the pet in and heal it if that's all you want to do. It'll be slow and boring, but it'll work.

I find all the other classes (except cleric) to be boring because they're so one-dimensional. Your options are to kill, or kill faster. With a cleric/veno, you have to decide whether it'll be better to kill faster or pause to heal. Or maybe debuffing would be more effective. Your options span multiple dimensions, and working through them to evaluate their advantages and tradeoffs to figure out the best one for any given situation is quite challenging.

The veno surpasses the cleric in complexity because it has so many viable builds. With a cleric, you play a caster in arcane armor. Maybe you might go light, but that's generally discouraged. A veno can be made to work in arcane, light, or heavy armor. Caster or melee are also both effective. And in many cases you can switch between these builds on the fly (e.g. switch to melee if you run across an increased magical defense mob). I switch between heavy and arcane armor, or sometimes a mix of the two depending on what my group is fighting. And I switch between caster and melee mode, often within a single fight.

I posted all the different things I typically do in a group boss fight. You can play a veno simply and be bored to tears, or you can have a lot of fun making it as complex as you like.:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2984102#post2984102

See,this is a good post,this solandri dude gets it right almost 100% of the time.

Filthy barb.
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear
    Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear Posts: 998 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options

I stick a piece of paper between the keys :3

I like being in big groups. pulling mobs without getting your pet killed, debuffing bosses (that's fun with a few venos if you take turns so amp dmg stays up almost all the time), saving your teammates from adds with the pet ...and of course, taming pets.

and no, I don't have any legendary pet and I don't want to get one. 50% of my grinding time I'm in a squad, and for bosses I rather have a barb tank >.>

(I love my kitty >o<)
    ~~Inactive~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Torhn for coloring!
  • kosake666
    kosake666 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Veno's really don't have all that much excitment to them, very repetitive, very boring characters to play imo... Send your pet, ironwood, blazing, venomous, dead mob, do it over again. Using most any other char you have to change up your attack method in order to deal with your's and your enemy's strengths and weaknesses.

Before I get flamed, I have both a high level veno and bm, been there, speaking form experiance.
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    kosake666 wrote: »
    Veno's really don't have all that much excitment to them, very repetitive, very boring characters to play imo... Send your pet, ironwood, blazing, venomous, dead mob, do it over again. Using most any other char you have to change up your attack method in order to deal with your's and your enemy's strengths and weaknesses.

It's the same thing with all classes at some point.

cast-cast-repulse-cast-cast dead mob, next.

shoot-shoot-repulse-shoot-shoot-dead mob, next.

hit-stun-hit-hit-hit-hit-hit-dead mob, next.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Singsung - Sanctuary
    Singsung - Sanctuary Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    To make more coins than your bag can hold. b:laugh
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    what makes veno fun for me, is trying to make it more fun than it is. o.O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqH4QJN9Z4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Avrie - Sanctuary
    Avrie - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    what makes a veno fun...

really its when we're playing the support in a party with a barb tank
    we're juggling so many jobs its not even funny. and in TT squad, when herc is tanking, you get to juggle these jobs with healing :D

amping, heal, ironwood, heal, really fun in 3-2 btw. among many other things venos do to make the damn boss die faster.

being bait for bosses and mobs is fun too.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    It's the same thing with all classes at some point.

cast-cast-repulse-cast-cast dead mob, next.

shoot-shoot-repulse-shoot-shoot-dead mob, next.

hit-stun-hit-hit-hit-hit-hit-dead mob, next.

With archers at least you have to factor in the effects of misses and crits. Depending on which shots crit or miss I vary my shot selection. This combined with different strategies for inc life and inc def mobs does make grinding a bit more enjoyable.

I don't think pets can crit and always do same damage... do they ever miss?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I think my favorite thing abbout playing a Venomancer was in a party situation. Especially a TT, where certain things are expected. First you have to pull a mob for the group, then you have to pull your pet out and send it back to help, then you gotta besure the proper people have Bramble. and and then you gotta Amplify damage, Chi the tank, Spark cast and repeat all over! Wee .. It happens all in under 30 seconds most of the time. Its thrilling and exciting.

I also love playing with my build. I'm not a typical veno even for a light armor build.. and that is very fun to test out what works and what doesn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hmm.. well isnt that what a cleric does as well? I mean in regular grinding its not so much the same, seeing as, to my understanding, clerics just find magic mobs (preferably wood) and then just tank it. But in any other situation, party based wise, all you do is heal. The only + a veno has is, they dont have to go looking for a tank. And I believe that the veno has to be one of the funnest (is that a word?) classes to play. Why? simple because of the fact that we can go solo instances and such by ourselves, creating challenges that are possible (but hard) for us while impossible for others. Personally, I think clerics are the most boring of all classes. Essential, yes, but boring none the less.b:cute
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Clearly the thing that makes the veno exciting is the fact that you gotta catch em all
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    With archers at least you have to factor in the effects of misses and crits. Depending on which shots crit or miss I vary my shot selection. This combined with different strategies for inc life and inc def mobs does make grinding a bit more enjoyable.

I don't think pets can crit and always do same damage... do they ever miss?

Yes, pets can and do miss. If they can crit, it's probably a 1% chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    pulling mobs now is a joke with genies, so easy doable in sleep practically, only a few bosses semi require pet pulls
  • VenosRop - Lost City
    VenosRop - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Exciting? local/world chat after downing someone with nix b:chuckle