PWI and Windows 7

Options
jamestiffany
jamestiffany Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Support Desk
Does anyone know about compatibility issues with PW and Windows 7 64bit? I had no trouble installing the game, also the launcher comes up and updates the game, but when it comes to actually running the game nothing happens.

---

Hijacked this post to make this thread a stickie ;) - Darthpanda

--
Hi Guys,

If you can save your dxdiag and then have it hosted somewhere online for us, then post a link to it here, I can review them and give feedback to the community of users who are using Windows 7. I would like you all to do this instead of sending in Windows 7 tickets to our support page.

Please name them like "gamename_win7_32bit_intel_dxdiag"

Put your game name, win7, whether it is 32bit or 64bit, and whether you have an ATI, Nvidia, or Intel video chipset in the name of your dxdiag. These need to be simple .txt files, not google docs, or in doc, docx, odf format.

We still do not officially support Win7 yet, but are ramping up to do so, and the more feedback and info we have about users PCs running Win7, the better.

Please do not post in this thread just to post. Keep it related to getting the game to run on Windows 7.

Thanks! b:victory

Expect this thread to become epic.

Resource links to help you all.

Microsoft Win7 Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/GettingReadyforWindows7/threads?filter=answered
Post edited by jamestiffany on

Comments

• kooshdin
    kooshdin Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I got it to install and run too but what I found when in game was the resolution I had selected looked different to the resolution on vista and also I couldnt scroll with the mouse wheel ingame...

Maybe I can fix it though b:victory

Try verifying your files on login screen
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hi Guys,

If you can save your dxdiag and then have it hosted somewhere online for us, then post a link to it here, I can review them and give feedback to the community of users who are using Windows 7. I would like you all to do this instead of sending in Windows 7 tickets to our support page.

Please name them like "gamename_win7_32bit_intel_dxdiag"

Put your game name, win7, whether it is 32bit or 64bit, and whether you have an ATI, Nvidia, or Intel video chipset in the name of your dxdiag. These need to be simple .txt files, not google docs, or in doc, docx, odf format.

We still do not officially support Win7 yet, but are ramping up to do so, and the more feedback and info we have about users PCs running Win7, the better.

Please do not post in this thread just to post. Keep it related to getting the game to run on Windows 7.

Thanks! b:victory

Expect this thread to become epic.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Mikael_Kira - Heavens Tear
    Mikael_Kira - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I have windows 7 running on my acer netbook. I didn't actually install it. All I did was copy the Perfect World Entertainment folder from the program files directory on my main laptop over to the netbook. I can run the patcher and game just fine without installing anything.
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I first got PW not long after the october leak of Windows 7. So yeah, always ran PW in Win7 with no issues whatsoever on different computers. As long as drivers are in place, I really don't see why it shouldn't work.

Mini edit: used both 32 and 64 bit.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • lethalrocks
    lethalrocks Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    pwi_win7_64bit_ati

I've only played PWI on Windows 7, but it runs incredibly slow compared to other games, often 20fps or less (very inconsistent), and not necessarily in crowded areas. I've tried setting the affinity to one core.

Is it that the graphics engine simply isn't optimised? The game can run well most of the time with settings (especially distance) turned down, but I don't think it should be necessary for such simple graphics on good hardware.
  • MissPsyched - Dreamweaver
    MissPsyched - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    pwi_win7_64bit_ati

I've only played PWI on Windows 7, but it runs incredibly slow compared to other games, often 20fps or less (very inconsistent), and not necessarily in crowded areas. I've tried setting the affinity to one core.

Is it that the graphics engine simply isn't optimised? The game can run well most of the time with settings (especially distance) turned down, but I don't think it should be necessary for such simple graphics on good hardware.

Setting the affinity to one core means you're giving it less power to work with. The game can run as well as your hardware allows it to. Any issues should be with the graphics card/drivers and the game in terms of rendering, not necessarily Windows 7. Maybe your PC just can't handle the new Windows yet.

For Nvidia users with multicore CPU's: Go to your Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings and put Threaded Optimization on.
  • lethalrocks
    lethalrocks Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    My system is an E8400 3Ghz with 4GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 4870: more than capable of running a game like this. If you had read the pastebin link, this would have been obvious to you. Windows 7 gives my setup a rating of 5.9 (HDD), so it can handle it fine. Again, you would have known this if you read the link.

By other games, I was referring to games which are more graphically-intensive, such as Assassin's Creed and the newer Need for Speed games.

Graphics drivers are up-to-date (from the amd site, not windows update), like all the others. Windows 7 has a new version of DirectX which may change API calls, possibly causing my problems.

I thought that I had made it apparent that I had tried setting the affinity to one core to alleviate the problem. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
  • camrin
    camrin Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I've never had any (new) problems playing on the Windows 7 release candidate (Build 7100).

PWI_win7_64bit_NVIDIA

The graphics are smooth even at 1920x1200 with all graphics settings on maximum. The only bug I have is the dreaded catshop issue that's plaguing West Archosaur, which I've documented in another thread. However, this bug occurs on XP 32bit machines as well, so it's not a Windows 7 issue.

If the game doesn't work, it's probably a driver issue at this point. Considering the bulk of Windows 7 is the same as Vista, there shouldn't be too many conflicts. The game should usually run better than it does on Vista, because they cleaned up a lot of the messes Vista had.
  • amasarac
    amasarac Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I have not had any problems with perfect world on my windows 7 computers
  • MissPsyched - Dreamweaver
    MissPsyched - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    My system is an E8400 3Ghz with 4GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 4870: more than capable of running a game like this. If you had read the pastebin link, this would have been obvious to you. Windows 7 gives my setup a rating of 5.9 (HDD), so it can handle it fine. Again, you would have known this if you read the link.

You could stop acting all high and mighty. What I said doesn't depend on if I read the link or not. If by any chance some of your hardware isn't properly supported by Win7, then it has nothing to do with Win7 or PW, rather the drivers installed or given. I honestly can't think of any other viable reason for your problem, with a lesser system (8800GT, AMD Phenom 9750 and 2GB) I'm pulling considerably more FPS on high quality settings. Win7 rating 5.6

Most likely it's an ATI driver issue as cam said. The difference between PW and the games you mentioned is the amount of objects rendered, so maybe that's where the troubles are.
  • darthpanda16
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

This thread is to help others, and to help us here at PWE to get ready for the Win7 launch, to make sure our games run well on Windows.

This thread isn't for negative attitudes, or things like "my PC is better then yours", or any form of derogatory statements.

We will not tolerate such things in the Tech Support Zone. Please go post in the Off-Topic or General Discussion forums.

Please follow the directions in the first post, and if you found a good way to get the game to run on your system, great! Tell us about it!

It is VERY helpful to post the .txt files of your dxdiag in the format requested.

Let's get this thread back on track, ok? b:victory b:pleased
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • kaszpires
    kaszpires Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    When i start my shop - i always have got error application very quickly (1 -2 hours ). Driver 185:85 ( 8800gts 512; 4gb ddr2; E8400@4GHz). When i do exactly the same thing in vista x64 - no errors (but game play slower vs win7 :/ ). ps. even with high oc - very poor fps (10-35) (max settings).
  • camrin
    camrin Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    If you're setting up a shop in West Archo or another highly-populated issue, there's another thread about that very issue: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=281692. I've gotten it to crash in Windows 7 x64, Windows XP 32-bit, and Wine on linux in the exact same manner.

You might also want to try making sure it's not your overclocking. 4GHz is possible on that processor, but games like to stress CPUs in new and interesting ways. You don't need that much power for this game, and your GPU is going to have more problems than your CPU, especially at higher resolutions and maximum settings.
  • darthpanda16
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Please keep this thread on topic.

If you overclock any part of your system, we are not responsible for what can happen to your system, and we do not support overclocked systems.
  • Daerina - Heavens Tear
    Daerina - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with it yet, though I originally installed it on windows xp and installed windows 7 on another partition and run pw from the original install

Daerina_win7_64bit_nVidia_dxdiag
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Daerina~Lvl79 Venomancer
    Sunny_Dae~Lvl41 Cleric
    follow me on twitter b:victory twitter.com/Daerina
  • darthpanda16
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Windows 7 Beta will shut down every TWO HOURS as of July 1st, 2009, and will expire in August.

Microsoft wants you to upgrade to their latest version of Windows 7, the Release Candidate (RC), which is the latest version before it officially hits retail.

Article here: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/warning-windows-7-beta-bi-hourly-shutdowns-start-next-week.ars

Get the Win7 RC here: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/40084742

Disclaimer - Be careful and back up your data before installing a new OS, the drivers, your apps, etc. If you don't know what you're doing, have someone that does, do it for you.
  • edian
    edian Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Recently installed Windows 7 rc on my computer and having some game issues. Wondered if anyone else might be having some of the same problems. I just know there has to be a computer whiz out there somewhere that has them all sorted out....would appreciate any info from others running Windows 7b:pleased
  • Matche - Heavens Tear
    Matche - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Run it on my laptop (Sattelite L300), and it works fairly well; all graphics toned down to minimal, and lag only happens in "laggy" area (west arch and co.) but for that just use ATL+F9 and it gets sorted.

You might want to set the comparability mode to Windows XP SP2, it it gest too "complicated", but not sure if it really "helps"...

Also, the only prob I had with it was that when you start game in full screen mode, the whole pre-game screen was animated 2x faster, and when you try to login, it says something like "disconnected" but loaded on char selection (but still all chars loaded, and breathing 2x faster), and when you try to enter, it just kicks you out. Solved this my playing in window mode, and it works like a charm...

Hope this helps, and good luck...
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Running it in Windows 7 RC1, used to use it in the previous beta.
    Besides randomly crashing every now and then (which it sometimes did in XP), it works fine.
  • Xaix - Dreamweaver
    Xaix - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    i'm also usin win7 RC on my laptop nd it works perfectly fine even with full graphic settings...the only time it crashes is when i spend too much time in west arch nd to fix that all i have to do is press ALT+F9 and voila no crashes :P
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
  • fjib
    fjib Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    mine is a bit different. I install and download it fine like u said, but when i click the icon, or install icon, it says failed to open package in where ever it is on the computer say like the desktop.
  • darthpanda16
    edited July 2009
    Options
    @fjib

That sounds like a corrupted download.

Please see here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1033192&postcount=26

and then here:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=87242

The Vista info here applies to Win 7, per our tests internally so far:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=741681&postcount=3
  • Die___Maus - Sanctuary
    Die___Maus - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I had Windows 7 on my Laptop and i had no problems. Only a little bit lagg but that was not because of windows^^
  • Miles_GTR - Heavens Tear
    Miles_GTR - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    ive been running PWI on Windows 7 64bit RC. everytime i setup a catshop in West Archo, itd crash within 2 hours. I found a way to prevent this from happening by disabling Players from appearing on the minimap and reducing distances and effects. it can be found in the UI Settings. I dont get random crashes at West Archo anymore. Hopefully it'll work for you guys having crashes there
  • Natake - Heavens Tear
    Natake - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Runs fine in XP...when I run it in Win 7, it freezes at the toon selection screen...I'm not on that pc right now, or else this would've been accompanied by a dxdiag.
  • Iellae - Heavens Tear
    Iellae - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Hey I just got Windows 7 installed on my PC, and I'm trying to reinstall PW (from the download links) and it says something along the lines of either corrupted file, or not completely unzipped, when I get to the install bit?

I've tried downloading direct and from bittorrent, so not sure how after around 15 hours of downloading and verifying, its still coming out like that.
  • theraven179
    theraven179 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    PW installed and updated without any issues for me, but when I try to start it I get this. I'm using build 7100 currently (updating as I type this as well tho). I'm guessing that the message is scrambled because I don't have the right language pack installed for Windows?

Solved
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That error's more commonly due to an issue with your video drivers. Check to make sure your drivers are up to date and that DirectDraw and Direct3D are enabled.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• iliveinabucket
    iliveinabucket Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I have Windows 7 RC 7100, 32-bit.

I get the exact same problem as jamestiffany, the first post on this thread.
    I had no trouble installing the game, also the launcher comes up and updates the game, but when it comes to actually running the game nothing happens.
This discussion has been closed.