Genie Guide for Archers

Options
Ijelle - Sanctuary
Ijelle - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Archer
This guide is designed to accumulate and display the information that has been splatter-bombed across the forums. Spending hours sifting through the Archer and Beginner forums for info on Genies and Genies for Archers is plain ridiculous, so here we go. Suggestions etc can be PM'd to me and are greatly appreciated.

Your Genie

At level 1, you get access to a quest from "Watcher of the Earth" NPC in your race's main city. This quest, which is just a few clicks long, randomly gives you ONE of the following Genie's;

Longevity - Starts with 15DEX, 5MAG, 5VIT, 5STR.
Discipline - Starts with 15VIT, 5MAG, 5STR, 5DEX.
Zeal - Starts 15MAG, 5VIT, 5STR, 5DEX.
Infliction - Starts with 15STR, 5VIT, 5MAG, 5DEX.

Also, if you decide you want another Genie, there are a few ways to get another one.

A. Acquire 3 Mirage Stones (from quests at the Gem Merchant, or player shops) and select the "Summon Genie" option at the Watcher of the Earth NPC in any city.

B. Buy from player shops. Here on Sanctuary I've seen LV1 Genie's ranging from 30k to 100k in player shops, so it may or may not be a good deal - take into account how much Mirage Stones are!

Stats

DEX Determines your Genie's effect of skills, and adds -duration to durational skills. Each point of DEX increases her skills' range, duration, and success rate.

STR Determines your Genie's damage out-put for damaging skills. Adding 1 point of STR increases damage by roughly 1%.

MAG Determines your Genie's Energy recovery rate, and the amount of skills your Genie can learn (every 40MAG is 1 additional slot for a skill). Every 50 MAG will increase Energy recovery rate by 1 second.

VIT Increases your Genie's Energy. Every point of VIT is the equivalent of 1 Energy Point.

Lucky Points gives your Genie a chance to earn more than 1 attribute point every 10 levels (10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc). The more Lucky Points your Genie has, the more attribute points she gains at the 10th levels, and the more valuable she is if you decide to sell her.

Your Genie obtains Lucky Points (1-10) every 10 levels (10, 20, 30), and the maximum amount of Lucky Points she can have also increases.

At LV10, your Genie will be #/10 Lucky Points, but at LV20 it'll change to #/20, and so on every 10 Genie levels.

The following colors apply to the display of your Genie's Lucky Points, and tell you vaguely how "lucky" and "rare" she is.

Very Rare
Rare
Uncommon
Common
Very Common

The number of Lucky Points also determines your Genie's overall physical appearance.

----Genie Evolution

What Genie you get doesn't really matter, what does matter is how you build her - stats and skills. The way you raise her stats and Elemental Affinity
should be based off of what skills you want her to learn.

Elemental Affinity

The way you build her Affinity determines what skills she can learn. She gains 1 Elemental Affinity point every 5 levels, but every level over 100 she gains 1 Affinity point PER level.

However, your Genie gets a maximum of 26 Affinity points.

Elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Wood, Metal

Skills

In the beginning, your Genie can only learn up to three skills. For every 40th MAG point, she will be able to learn an additional skill. So at 40MAG she will be able to learn 4 skills, at 80MAG she will be able to have 5, and so on.

You should take this into account before deciding how to spend her Elemental Affinity Points. Elemental Affinity cannot be reset without an item bought from the Boutique, but skills can be forgotten for free.

For a complete list of Genie skills, without having to go in-game and try to sort through all that hover-text, see this link. All you have to do is point, click, read.

Suggested Skills for PvE Archer

Tree of Protection (Available at LV10) - 1 Water, 1 Wood, 1 Earth.
Increases your Max HP by 15%, and restores 25% of your HP every 3 seconds for 6 seconds. Every 40DEX points increases the Max HP duration by 1 second.
----Highest Priority. Should be the first skill you get her.

Holy Path (Available at LV25) - 2 Wood, 2 Earth, 2 Metal.
Increases the movement speed of yourself and your squad members to the maximum.
----Useful for getting away from a swarm of mobs, getting places, and for some higher level events.

Relentless Courage (Available at LV23) - 2 Wood, 2 Earth, 1 Fire
Increases your attack speed by 14%, movement speed by 30%, and channeling speed by 7%. Lasts for 8 seconds. Every 20DEX points lengthens the duration by 1%.
----Rather useful, but possibly less than Holy Path.

Ranged Blessing (Archer only, available at LV30) - 3 Wood, 3 Earth
Immobilizes targets close to you, and has a chance to make you immune to Immobilize. Similar to Piercing Flames, but isn't just a "chance" to Immobilize.
----Sexy.

Extreme Poison (Available at LV14) - 4 Wood
Makes target take more damage. Can be stacked with skills like Heaven's Flame.
----Supposedly good for Luring and Zhen Parties and stuff...

Skills use Stamina. You will notice under your Genie's HP (Energy) bar, there is a blue bar. This is her Energy, and to start off it is 20,000/999,999. Every time you use her skill, it takes some of her Energy & Stamina. Once her Stamina gets too low, she will be unable to preform her skills.

To replenish her Stamina, you must use Chi Stones. These are obtained by decomposing equipment (requires crafting skill), or from player shops (Catshops).

Yiyuan stone: +40 stamina
Liangyi stone: +80 stamina
Santsai stone: +160 stamina
Ssuhsiang stone: +240 stamina
Wuhsing stone: +320 stamina
Liuho stone: +400 stamina
Chihsing stone: +480 stamina
Pakua stone: +560 stamina
Chiukung stone: +640 stamina
Perfect stone: +720 stamina

To use a stone, unequip your genie, and click -> drag the stones onto her to "feed" them to her.

Leveling Your Genie

Personally I like to keep my Genies the same level as I am. Why? Because they learn their skill sooner, which is more useful to me than letting them stay low level.

There are three ways you can level your NPC.

A. Infuse her with your own EXP (You will lose that amount of EXP, as it will be transferred to her.)
B. EXP Cubes (Bought from Catshops, mostly)
C. Infuse her with your own Spirit (You will lose that amount of Spirit, as it will be transfered to her.)

Personally I use mostly Spirit, but some people prefer to use mostly EXP - its pretty much up to you!

To be continued...
Post edited by Ijelle - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ijelle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Saved for later.
  • Ijelle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Also saved for later.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Impressive, I can't really confirm or challenge as my knowledge of genies is still sadly limited. Definately something the archer community was hungering for though, good job :).

Could also mention buying genies for 3 mirage stones, number mechanics of lucky points (1-10pts every 10), and genie appearances (41+, 51+ and 61+ LP).
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • DarkRings - Sanctuary
    DarkRings - Sanctuary Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Woot! Good Job!

Finally I know what skill I'll put into my Genie on my lv.99 archer.

Thannnnkk yyouuuu ~
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    It's a good idea but I don't really see any archer specific information outside of "Suggested Skills for PvE Archer" which is pretty subjective.

Your skill choices there though are pretty solid although it is questionable how really useful Holy Path is to a PVE archer.

One skill that I am beginning to like a lot is Frenzy. At level 10 this gives you +20 attack level and reduces your resistances 0. It has a cheap enough energy usage that you can easily cast extreme poison as well. The cool thing is stacking frenzy, extreme poison, and a demon spark together. You are guaranteed to steal aggro but usually the mob will be dead or frenzy would have worn off by the time you take damage. In PVP I use this right after a stun although it is dangerous to use. It also has a really cool looking buff effect.

a few other corrections / suggestions

20,000/99,999 should be 20,000/999,999
    All genies start with 15 / 5 / 5 / 3 skill points not 15 / 5 / 5 /5.
    Your colors for earth affinity and wood affinity seem backwards.

Annor: Get back to playing already... you've been 89 way too long :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hehe ty Ast, and I have... 97%... you won't be waiting too long :D
  • DarKye - Sanctuary
    DarKye - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    There's some pretty good choices here. I'm personally wondering whether to level one or two genies (one for pve, one for pvp.. Might be a bit tedious getting that spirit though).

Relentless Courage & Extreme Poison seem a pair of pretty solid skills all around. I'm wondering about a couple of skills I have yet to try, however.

Nullify Poison: [Gives yourself immunity to Wood based damage.]
    Wood DoT damage has always been the bane of my PvE elven existence, and when those poisons start stacking up, it becomes really difficult to shake them off. Is it a good choice to invest on this skill or do we end up with enough HP to make poison negligible later on?

Fortify: [Make yourself immune to Stun. Has a chance to cause Magical Defense loss.]
    I'm considering this mainly for PvP purposes. Stun is what generally kills me against melee classes, and I'm wondering if there's a good alternative to just trying to kite and dodge them.

It'd be nice to hear the thoughts of more experienced players regarding those skills.
  • WindRunnerr - Lost City
    WindRunnerr - Lost City Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    from your experience asterelle, how big is the damage increase from lvl10 frenzy? roughly? 30%? 50%?
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    one of the best pve skills is lightening chaser lvl 1, interrupts skills, including bosses like wurlord, ancient evil(belial) and good on everyday or cube mobs even

the extreme poison for luring and timed bosses or just on bosses after spark, nice to see high hits
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    from your experience asterelle, how big is the damage increase from lvl10 frenzy? roughly? 30%? 50%?

It should be 20% more and that "feels" about right. I think it would multiply with extreme poison rather than just add so you get 44% more damage rather than just 40%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Ijelle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    *nods* I was planning on looking around for more info and adding a "Genie for PvP" section. Once I get a chance I'll make the suggested edits and so on. :)

And wow! I wasn't expecting so many replies so soon! lol
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Intending to link to this on my Archer Basics if you don't mind ;)
  • Ijelle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Intending to link to this on my Archer Basics if you don't mind ;)

I don't mind at all. ^^
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    done, and done (in 2 places) ;)
  • Bows_Spirit - Lost City
    Bows_Spirit - Lost City Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    i have pheonix dance, was it worth it?
  • Ijelle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    i have pheonix dance, was it worth it?

How much damage does it do? Personally I think Genie's should be used to bump up your own damage/buff/heal you. And I'm kind of "Meeeeeeeeh..." on AoE skills. I haven't messed with AoE skills on PW yet, but in my last MMO (FFXI), using an AoE skill/spell pretty much meant death.

If the mobs switch their hate to you after Phoenix Dance, and massacre you, then, no, I'd say its not worth it.

A lot of how one builds one's Genie is dependent on how you play and what suits you best, but personally, I wouldn't have gone with a skill like Phoenix Dance.

You may want to take a look at http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/genieskill.php and take a look at the various skills available, and its important to remember the limit.

But hey, at least you can make your Genie forget skills. :3
  • Waterboy - Lost City
    Waterboy - Lost City Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thuderstorm, Blood Clot(for pk, who wants to bleed to deathb:cry),Phoenix Dance b:puzzled
  • Bows_Spirit - Lost City
    Bows_Spirit - Lost City Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    How much damage does it do? Personally I think Genie's should be used to bump up your own damage/buff/heal you. And I'm kind of "Meeeeeeeeh..." on AoE skills. I haven't messed with AoE skills on PW yet, but in my last MMO (FFXI), using an AoE skill/spell pretty much meant death.

If the mobs switch their hate to you after Phoenix Dance, and massacre you, then, no, I'd say its not worth it.

A lot of how one builds one's Genie is dependent on how you play and what suits you best, but personally, I wouldn't have gone with a skill like Phoenix Dance.

You may want to take a look at http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/genieskill.php and take a look at the various skills available, and its important to remember the limit.

But hey, at least you can make your Genie forget skills. :3

thx for the link, turns out that pheonix dance maxed is almost twice the dmg as thunderstorm lbl 10
  • d0pey
    d0pey Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Soooo when's the PVP genie guide coming up?? I'm waiting!b:chuckleb:laugh
    To act is to live.
  • Ijelle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    d0pey wrote: »
    Soooo when's the PVP genie guide coming up?? I'm waiting!b:chuckleb:laugh

I'm still sifting through the old and many posts about genies & PvP in the Archer forums, trying to establish a common theme. I'll post an update as soon as possible. :)
  • Machidiel - Harshlands
    Machidiel - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    The following colors apply to the display of your Genie's Lucky Points, and tell you vaguely how "lucky" and "rare" she is.

Very Rare
    Rare
    Uncommon
    Common
    Very Common

One question, Where are these colours displayed? More specifically is there something on the genie or it's hover window that shows this?
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Its the text color of the genie's Lucky Points. Where it says 7/50 (in the information plate when you hover over).
  • Bhoot - Heavens Tear
    Bhoot - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hw abt the skill True empiness??? True + shell = invincibility fr sm time i guesss ??

And Wind Shield ??? Dmg reduced while atk speed increased ?? And i guess 10% dex is of ours so lotta dmg increased too

hn there is earthquake[PvE] and Venom stinger too
  • Mvm - Lost City
    Mvm - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    so one question,..... wut is the most powerfull attacking genie skill for an archer? and the most usefull support skill? and wut level are they learned at?
  • Flieyah - Dreamweaver
    Flieyah - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    No yet has mentioned my favorite skill: Earthquake.

It's a AoE knockback, that recharges quickly and doesn't cost that much to use. As far as I'm concerned, that is an archer's wet dream come trueb:kiss
    "What we do is what you just can't do."
    b:cool
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    earthquake is useless. 95% mobs 60+ will use range on you so they outrange earthquake.

now I've done some use of wind shield in PvE and this is what i've got. The bless effect is VERY useful and lets you stall longer after wings of grace(or save the use of a spark) for more bless. Very useful incase you draw 2-3 mobs on you and don't wanna run. And then it gets a 10% attack speed boost. Which is a nice bonus since you attack faster AND take less damage. maxed, it is a 30% bless + attack speed boost. Only reason Wings of Grace is still good now is cause it protects from stun/sleep/etc

However, relentless courage is the way to go when you are not taking damage.
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • Ratched - Dreamweaver
    Ratched - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Skill discussion seems to be the main theme of most "genie guides"

Where can I find one with various attribute distrubuitions discussions?
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    i hear thunderstorm can destroy some bm/barb if you got a str genie handy, not having any luck with lucky points yet (ffs nearing 40 genies now) but ill try to test..one day
  • SerraYoshara - Heavens Tear
    SerraYoshara - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Mosz,

Wow, 40+ genies, how many lucky points are you after?
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Mosz,

Wow, 40+ genies, how many lucky points are you after?

i was only after a 61+lucky point genie, many got cut early in thier lives(30) when they had horrible lucky many more at 60, some at 80, i finally baught a 48/50 and managed 72 or 73/90 (although discipline) so im pretty happy about that, takin great care befoe i learn its skills(thinking 100 dex and maybe a few vit, idk yet), and want to get a high lucky str genie for thunderstorm one day
This discussion has been closed.