June Calendar Creation Contest - WINNERS announced!

Options

Comments

• MingJin - Harshlands
    MingJin - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Same. Grats to the winners, but on my end, peace out. I'd rather start doing this for money and actually getting something out of it, as clearly all my time and effort isn't to the judges' tastes.

Gratz to all the winners.

They had over 200 entries keep trying.

But I do wish anything goes was written in the rules. I thought I had to stay with a summer theme.

How about always have one winner per server then we have more chances to win,lol.

The following was not in the rules so next time I know any thing goes.
    Quote:
    Keep in mind that judges are usually partial toward designs that encompass the 'theme' of the month - in this case warm hues that conjure up the approach of Summer and other such related imagery will certainly earn you a point or two of added kudos.

I entered a summer first and then what I really wanted June weddings. Now I wish I had gone all out with the June weddings, lol.
  • JedesJahr - Sanctuary
    JedesJahr - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    How about always have one winner per server then we have more chances to win,lol.

'cause some servers have more people and more entries :P and some servers have more talent? dunno, but perhaps thats an idea xD ^-^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:bye hello
  • Bebisito - Dreamweaver
    Bebisito - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I told you that you could do it, my Beba! >w<
    Congrats to all the winners, those are some very pretty calendars.
  • Jonno - Dreamweaver
    Jonno - Dreamweaver Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Gratz Beba and all the other winners
  • Bebisita - Dreamweaver
    Bebisita - Dreamweaver Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Congratulations to all the winners!
    It's too bad we have to wait til every other month now to see some more pretty entries. b:cry
  • Ainte - Lost City
    Ainte - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Grats to all the winners b:victory
    The one with the eggs is my favorite b:dirty
    I am a tiny bit sad i didnt win....but there is always next time b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aelicia - Sanctuary
    Aelicia - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hay hay! Good job everyone =]!b:victory

See you all next calendar event ;D b:bye (maybe movie one too but well I like to do personal projet too XD)

Aeli
  • kantorek
    kantorek Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Ooh.. these are very nice... *Right-Click... Save as Desktop Wallpaper* b:thanks
    朱健诚
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Maintenance is my Constant. b:surrender
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thanks to the winners for their quick responses to my messages.

Everyone else: even if you didn't win don't feel too bad, we always have some really good competition in these events and sometimes it comes down to a really close margin between winning and being picked as runner up.

If you're looking for tips then I have a few quick suggestions:
    (disclaimer: these views do not reflect all of the judges views, they should be seen more as a form of reference in order to improve rather than something that you MUST do)
    -don't spend too much time on any single element of your image, when you spent 5 hours on one character and only 20 minutes on the layout we can tell.
    -there are plenty of submissions that have some really stunning aspects, but the key thing to always strive for is cohesion. If all of the aspects of your image combine into one solid concept that is much more impressive than a whole bunch of detailed pieces that don't fit together right. Step back, how does it look? Does it all flow together nicely?
    -originality is not necessarily required, but sticking to a cookie cutter template isn't the best idea either. If you don't feel comfortable dreaming up an entirely original layout, use the template as a base and improve on it. Make the template your own (make it fit your style), don't let the template own you. You call the shots!

Best of luck in future contests! These contests are always great fun for us, they remind us how many talented people we have in our community.
  • Revolte - Heavens Tear
    Revolte - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    im wondering about the last one, with the big rino metal looking thing, is that a mount or a mob? i was under the impression we couldnt put in any outside images.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Duper Uber Booper
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Looks like a Kowlin to me.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Q - Dreamweaver
    Q - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I told you that you could do it, my Beba! >w<
    Congrats to all the winners, those are some very pretty calendars.

yours is great! my favorite of all of them. :)
  • EdeArai - Heavens Tear
    EdeArai - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    yayyyy i got an Honorable Mention b:laugh i'm happy with that too!b:chuckle

congrats to the winners!
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    Aoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    im wondering about the last one, with the big rino metal looking thing, is that a mount or a mob? i was under the impression we couldnt put in any outside images.

I believe it's a mount that came out in the cash shop a long whle ago.

Sigh i didn't win this time around either it's okay, going to try again. There was a lot of good entries. Hopefully i can improve my skills some more for try to bring out an idea or something the gm's love. Although I'm afraid my best bet is to invest in a pen tablet so i can get some good detail.

This was my pic

junecontest.jpg
  • Mistimancer - Heavens Tear
    Mistimancer - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Usually I spend precious time away from my daughter to make nice calendars... and never been into the winners or runner ups...

Decided to not participate in June and will probably never enter again.. as per I don't have the style or techics that the judges seems to look for.

I suck at hand drawing, I am more into digital effect, manipulation, extractions etc.... and ... since February.. only a tiny few winners/runner ups been into that category.. the rest are all in the hand drawing techinc... and I suck at it....

So I'll spend more time with my daughter.. and just enjoy and grats what others can achieve.. :)

These were some of my past entries:
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/65405/may39744.jpg
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/65405/may21584.jpg
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/65405/april_2009_16731Pop.jpg

I know it's not perfect.. but I enjoyed doing them... :)
  • Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Not winning just makes me more determined for next time.

b:thanks

Congrats to all winners, really like the last one!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • eatwithspoons
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I can't stress enough how you shouldn't be discouraged by not winning. Read my earlier post in the thread, we care very little about any specific style, but it's the way that it is integrated that makes the difference.
  • Majesta - Dreamweaver
    Majesta - Dreamweaver Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    when will de runners-up be announced? b:chuckle
    When I got the meaning of melee mixed up:
    'Maj.. Melee ffs.. means I'm punching you in the face 1 foot away!'
    >.<
  • eatwithspoons
    edited June 2009
    Options
    when will de runners-up be announced? b:chuckle

ahh sorry.. they're up in the official events post, I'll try to bring em in here in a bit.

for now: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/event/eventsubpage/3771
  • Majesta - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    Options
    ahh sorry.. they're up in the official events post, I'll try to bring em in here in a bit.

for now: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/event/eventsubpage/3771

didnt know the official events page was up >.<
    thanks spoon b:bye
    >.<
  • Sentha - Heavens Tear
    Sentha - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    *sighs* ok... that was it...

I hoped I might have made it to the runner ups at least as I did last time and put much more time and afford in the ones for june and was working really hard on them. I thought I just have to try harder and so I pushed myself to my limits, working on them for more then 2 weeks, creating every single little part on my own, characters, objects, textures. It was really hard work and I even spent whole nights on it. But it was not even close.

Obviously I'm not good enough. That's frustrating. Good luck to you all, honestly. But count me out. I give it up. b:surrender

For those who might have liked them, these were mine again:

Meryell_HeavensTear-calendar_june_1.jpg

Meralynn_HeavensTear-calendar_june_.jpg
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Sentha don't give up! I really like your stuff and had your volleyball design as one of my Top-10 picks! b:victory

And big thanks to spoon-dawg for updating my 'reserved' posts and filling in the 9 runner-ups!

Thanks to everyone who participated for June's contest. Stay tuned as we will announce details for the August design contest in 3 weeks time!

See posts #4 - 6 for a look at our 9 runner-ups for the month of June!
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • Majesta - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    Options
    *sighs* ok... that was it...

I hoped I might have made it to the runner ups at least as I did last time and put much more time and afford in the ones for june and was working really hard on them. I thought I just have to try harder and so I pushed myself to my limits, working on them for more then 2 weeks, creating every single little part on my own, characters, objects, textures. It was really hard work and I even spent whole nights on it. But it was not even close.

Obviously I'm not good enough. That's frustrating. Good luck to you all, honestly. But count me out. I give it up. b:surrender

aww :( why'd ya give up? I really like your designs! and the tiger in the first design is hawt ;)
    I need to learn 3D modeling for school, and i know how much work it is, so kudos to you to be able to hand in not 1, but 2 designs!

Really, i mean it when i say: keep up the good work (and keep sending it in)!! b:victory
    >.<
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Dvorak wrote: »
    Sentha don't give up! I really like your stuff and had your volleyball design as one of my Top-10 picks! b:victory

And big thanks to spoon-dawg for updating my 'reserved' posts and filling in the 9 runner-ups!

Thanks to everyone who participated for June's contest. Stay tuned as we will announce details for the August design contest in 3 weeks time!

See posts #4 - 6 for a look at our 9 runner-ups for the month of June!

I may be mistaken but the last runners up one looks as if a watermark has been blanked out in the bottom left corner.

b:surrender

Grats to runners up's though. =D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2009
    Options
    I can't stress enough how you shouldn't be discouraged by not winning. Read my earlier post in the thread, we care very little about any specific style, but it's the way that it is integrated that makes the difference.

look at all the winners/runner up this month...

ALL HAND DRAW TECHNIQUE...
    The only one that is not hand draw technique is the the last runner up.. and it has nothing to do with PWI... it could have been a calendar for any situation....

So yes.. I give up.. I don't have the talent needed.. and definitely don't have the talent to do hand drawing.. I suck at it :)

GOOD LUCK ALL

And I'll keep enjoying the winners and their talents.......
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Options
    look at all the winners/runner up this month...

ALL HAND DRAW TECHNIQUE...
    The only one that is not hand draw technique is the the last runner up.. and it has nothing to do with PWI... it could have been a calendar for any situation....

So yes.. I give up.. I don't have the talent needed.. and definitely don't have the talent to do hand drawing.. I suck at it :)

GOOD LUCK ALL

And I'll keep enjoying the winners and their talents.......

The last actual winner (I think you're talking about winners and not runners up) actually has a Kowlin in it and I'm pretty sure it has a faint venomancer in the background.

You should pay more attention to detail.

But after looking at the winners and runners up, it seems very biased towards hand drawn this month.

Can we please revise this so as to every month this is held, there is 3 Photoshop Winners and 3 Hand Drawn. It's very discourageing for those that do not hand draw to see their efforts go to waste every month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• eatwithspoons
    edited June 2009
    Options
    To be completely blunt for a moment: the reason I posted suggestions on the other page is because some people are not cutting it by a significant margin. Unfortunately a good amount of photoshoppers spend too much time throwing things onto their calendars without ever considering their entire image as a whole.
  • Wilde - Dreamweaver
    Wilde - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    If the winning entries demonstrate any sort of bias it is one toward some level of unity (or what is also called 'gestalt'). If a work does not demonstrate unity, then it doesn't matter if it's a drawing or a photo-manipulation, it will fail to demonstrate anything. At the same time I think the judges afford us ample lee-way for the sake of humor & unbridled personality. This can only be a good thing.

If there were any other bias here, it would be towards diversity. In my experience I have met more artists than graphic designers, so I'm sure that this is the reason for the numerous hand-drawn entries both this month & in past competitions. To be honest I didn't think my entry would break through this deluge of drawing talent! The fact that it did makes this coinless barb glad of winning, and glad for those of us who just really suck at drawing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Options
    The last actual winner (I think you're talking about winners and not runners up) actually has a Kowlin in it and I'm pretty sure it has a faint venomancer in the background.

You should pay more attention to detail.

But after looking at the winners and runners up, it seems very biased towards hand drawn this month.

Can we please revise this so as to every month this is held, there is 3 Photoshop Winners and 3 Hand Drawn. It's very discourageing for those that do not hand draw to see their efforts go to waste every month.

I am talking about runner up
    only written summer.. with a calendar.. there's faded PWI logo and link... but nothing to my eyes reflect anything to be PWI... unless I am blind :)
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I am talking about runner up
    only written summer.. with a calendar.. there's faded PWI logo and link... but nothing to my eyes reflect anything to be PWI... unless I am blind :)

I see, my mistake, well yes but I also feel a watermark has been cut out of that picture but ya never know.

And if I can be blunt too, spoon, that comment threw me off doing this competition all together now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]