Light or Robe?

Maddieson - Sanctuary
Maddieson - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Venomancer
I am currently a robe venomancer but it just hit me that a lot of magic users are starting to wear LA, what would be the pros and cons to changing to a LA veno?
It's not my job to shut you down on a suggestion. It's a pleasure, though.
Post edited by Maddieson - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear
    Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    well im la veno and i have to say it just makes life easier, unless you have a herc then the mobs will agro you and robes take only a couple hits to kill , we la's can run away just in time were squishy enough as la's. wats more important to you damage >< survivability.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    well im la veno and i have to say it just makes life easier, unless you have a herc then the mobs will agro you and robes take only a couple hits to kill , we la's can run away just in time were squishy enough as la's. wats more important to you damage >< survivability.

WAIT! so, if you have a herc mobs dont attack you? no way!
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Noronia - Lost City
    Noronia - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Some pros would be your def and dex will go high if you follow the armour requirements. Some cons are you will probably have a few problems killing high lvled things you used to kill.(without your pet.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    WAIT! so, if you have a herc mobs dont attack you? no way!

Apparently you did not get the memo...... Personaly I am trying to tame a white tiger, that wait I can use it as a mount and as a fighting pet.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Aeyris - Sanctuary
    Aeyris - Sanctuary Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Where is this White Tiger that you speak of?
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    You can be robe and not be entirely squishy. It just involves spending a little more time finding the right gear with pdef adds, and using pdef stones; you're still squishy, just not quite as :p

The main benefit to being robe is that you can throw a lot more points into mag or allocate them to vit, whereas in LA/HA your mag is limited to being min for a wep of your level, with no points available for vit, because they're all put into strength and dex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KallenHapti - Sanctuary
    KallenHapti - Sanctuary Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    you're going to lose some damage, mp and mag defence in exchange for pdef, evasion and crit %
    i've been la since day 1 and i like it
    i feel safe and balanced
    it's all about personal taste
    and since i'm not a bag full of money to spend i like having only hp shard on my mind (unlike robe which must have slots and money for pdef shards too)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    Banned TB hairstyle made my Kallen cry b:sad
    Training my new wizzie. Current status lvl5X. b:pleased
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    main advantage: pdef
    main weaknesses: lessened heal, damage, and HP
  • Angerr - Harshlands
    Angerr - Harshlands Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    main advantage: pdef
    main weaknesses: lessened heal, damage, and HP

well you actually have more HP in light armour usually as you will use hp shards, so i would put that as an advantage.
  • Plicid - Heavens Tear
    Plicid - Heavens Tear Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    If PvE is all you are worried about stay Robe. you can tank bosses better. LA has almost no flexability on where to put your points when you lvl until you get your end game equip. so your Vit will most likely be very low.

That being said LA is nice if you plan on PvP you will just have to spend some extra coin on Hp shards and refining your equip.
  • Churam - Dreamweaver
    Churam - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I've been wearing LA since lvl 1 and I am now at lvl 30. I don't plan on doing pvp except in territory wars. Should I switch to robe? Or is it too late?
    Character: Churam
    Class: Venomancer
    Guild: Valryrie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Credit for sig goes to me.
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    The biggest advantage of robe over light is that you can actually survive a few more hits from casters. Although pdef is a bit lower, and you may not be able to take more than 1-2 hits, most mobs which are physical attack are melee, and you usually have enough time to run. Most magical attack mobs however don't need to run to you to hit you. Essentially, you survive 1 less physical hit in exchange for surviving 2 magical hits. Once you start getting into levels 60+, most of the things you will be fighting have both physical and magical attacks, which can make things rather tough for LA if your mob should lose agro. When it comes to air/water mobs 50+, there is no contest, robe does alot better (faster kill, better survival). The mistake that many robe users make is that they shard for pdef when extra hp can help much, much more in all cases.

The advantage of light armor over robe is that you end up with a better crit rate (kinda disadvantage really since your crits are often what makes your pet lose agro) and that you can actually hit things in fox form. However, being light armor, you only have to compete with archers (and some BMs) for good gear instead of wizards and clerics. But you also often find less gear being made.
    edited June 2009
    well you actually have more HP in light armour usually as you will use hp shards, so i would put that as an advantage.
    youd need pretty high quality gems and refines to match a vit mag robe user :P. i have 4096 hp with hardly any refines and avg gems ;P

yay for cash shopping and botting, no?
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    In my honest opinion light armour fails on any caster type.
    Sure you get crits, so what? your magic attack suffers, your
    pet heal suffers and even in light armour, what good is being
    able to hit things in fox form when you don't hit for much?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    exactly? why drop all this just so you can take a hit from a BM? venos should be able to 1-2 shot them at our level :P (i think heavy armor is even worse >:D)
  • Churam - Dreamweaver
    Churam - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Sigh, I guess I'll have to reroll some stats then...I am glad someone made this post before I got too high lvl lol. The guides on the forums are a little misleading, but how you play the game is a personal choice I guess.
    Character: Churam
    Class: Venomancer
    Guild: Valryrie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Credit for sig goes to me.
  • cybluerr
    cybluerr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    In PvE i agree, arcane would be the way to go.

However if you decide to pvp/tw often, each build has its own pros/cons. Never listen to those who swear by only a single build, those who really know the class will know that each build has its own way to play, and play it well enough.
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    exactly? why drop all this just so you can take a hit from a BM? venos should be able to 1-2 shot them at our level :P (i think heavy armor is even worse >:D)

I feel bad for you, Sanctuary BMs must be super fail. :(
  • KallenHapti - Sanctuary
    KallenHapti - Sanctuary Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    ok stop saying light is "fail"
    it isn't something unplayable, it is decent
    if that build sucked so much people wouldn't bother to argue about it
    just try both and decide what you like better
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    Banned TB hairstyle made my Kallen cry b:sad
    Training my new wizzie. Current status lvl5X. b:pleased
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2009

While this is true, the difference in damage and healing isn't that much. Unless you have a herc, your heal spam is usually overhealing your pet 4/6 times anyway. Your magic attacks may be a bit lower, but that is usually only 1-2 extra pet hits worth of damage, or 1 spell.

As fox form goes, it actually still kinda does matter when you're maintaining amplify/mist/purge/leech/wallop on some bosses. And means that in TW, you can run in and purge/amplify tanks with some chance of surviving long enough do do it. Have to remember, most of your damage in fox form is centered entirely around skills since even a heavy armor veno has rather low damage for standard hits in fox. Even though the damage may suck, it can still be good enough to count for something. Most fox form skills have very low cooldowns, so even without much in the way of strength, you can lay on some hurt. Still not as convenient as spells, still not as cheap to pay for, but still has its place. Once you have coin and spirit at higher levels, many arcane builds start switching over to light armor and learning fox skills simply so that they have more to work with. The advantage of the venomancer is that it is one of the most versatile classes. Although you can be just a caster with a pet tank, you can also be quite a bit more.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I am Light Armor with boosted Evasion, and Accuracy debuffs. Needless to say, you can't touch this. b:laugh

Oh, and I carry robes. And I refine and shard EVERYTHING with HP. LA/AA Hybrid build FTW.
  • FlappingPix - Heavens Tear
    FlappingPix - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Its ineresting and actually kind of entertaining reading posts in threads like this one. So many arguments all leading back to the same middle ground; build function. Without that it would be just down right boring if every single veno was arcane or every BM was LA. It comes right down to how you intend to play your character.

I'm LA fox veno and unlike some of you think it does almost as well as arcane. You just have to use your skills well and know when to use them. Much more of a challenge than just nuking the hell out of everything in sight. The right combination of debufs I can take a same lvl mob down in about 20 seconds even without the help of my golem. Thus it more about knowing the limits and skills your build has to offer more than your armor set; all the armor does is keep you alive a little longer.
  • Angerr - Harshlands
    Angerr - Harshlands Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    youd need pretty high quality gems and refines to match a vit mag robe user :P. i have 4096 hp with hardly any refines and avg gems ;P

yay for cash shopping and botting, no?

well i guarentee robe costs more as you need g8 shards to have pdef for pvp.

4k hp is kinda low though =/

most of the time you will have less hp than a light armour user.

at 90 all the HH gear has the same stats, but a robe user needs to use high pdef shards when a LA user uses HP shards. you can obviously stat some vit, but each point id reducing your damage output, which is the reason of the build?
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Sigh, I guess I'll have to reroll some stats then...I am glad someone made this post before I got too high lvl lol. The guides on the forums are a little misleading, but how you play the game is a personal choice I guess.

The main reason that the forums have guides on the "other" builds, i.e. LA and HA is because they're a little bit harder to play that the "normal" build, arcane. Notice the "".

I play arcane because robes... I just like them better. A lot more flexibility with my extra stat points, I don't mind spending a bit more on pdef shards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    vagrant0 wrote: »
    While this is true, the difference in damage and healing isn't that much. Unless you have a herc, your heal spam is usually overhealing your pet 4/6 times anyway. Your magic attacks may be a bit lower, but that is usually only 1-2 extra pet hits worth of damage, or 1 spell.

As fox form goes, it actually still kinda does matter when you're maintaining amplify/mist/purge/leech/wallop on some bosses. And means that in TW, you can run in and purge/amplify tanks with some chance of surviving long enough do do it. Have to remember, most of your damage in fox form is centered entirely around skills since even a heavy armor veno has rather low damage for standard hits in fox. Even though the damage may suck, it can still be good enough to count for something. Most fox form skills have very low cooldowns, so even without much in the way of strength, you can lay on some hurt. Still not as convenient as spells, still not as cheap to pay for, but still has its place. Once you have coin and spirit at higher levels, many arcane builds start switching over to light armor and learning fox skills simply so that they have more to work with. The advantage of the venomancer is that it is one of the most versatile classes. Although you can be just a caster with a pet tank, you can also be quite a bit more.

I didn't mean what I said to abuse light armour builds, I just find those
    who criticise it never know what they're talking about.
    (I've played arcane, light and heavy builds)

What I really mean is the reasons that some go light armour should've
    gone for heavy/robe instead. If people are really looking for damage
    in fox form, as in melee that hurts aren't going to find it from a light
    armour build. I miss only once or sometimes twice on a mob, it's not
    enough for me to go QQ about not having enough accuracy though.

Fox form may certainly have low melee damage compared to blademasters
    and barbarians, I have 2k max in fox form unbuffed. However it's far
    more than I had as a light build anyway. I find the physical defense and
    magical defenses are far more than light armour aswell, since we
    can equip both arcane and heavy. I can gain up to 16948 pdef fully buffed, so far :)

The magic attack is also very much the same as a light armour build,
    as the HP. HP can easily be increased by upgrades and HP shards.
    It may cost a bit, but i'm more than willing to spend it on a build
    that's worth it.

And to a previous comment, heavy/robe builds are not designed only
    to take hits from blademasters. They're designed to survive everything.
    Barbarians have a very hard time trying to kill me, since their damage is
    quite low (if they're a vit build of course). Mage types I have no problem
    against in my robes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    I didn't mean what I said to abuse light armour builds, I just find those
    who criticise it never know what they're talking about.
    (I've played arcane, light and heavy builds)

What I really mean is the reasons that some go light armour should've
    gone for heavy/robe instead. If people are really looking for damage
    in fox form, as in melee that hurts aren't going to find it from a light
    armour build. I miss only once or sometimes twice on a mob, it's not
    enough for me to go QQ about not having enough accuracy though.

Fox form may certainly have low melee damage compared to blademasters
    and barbarians, I have 2k max in fox form unbuffed. However it's far
    more than I had as a light build anyway. I find the physical defense and
    magical defenses are far more than light armour aswell, since we
    can equip both arcane and heavy. I can gain up to 16948 pdef fully buffed, so far :)

The magic attack is also very much the same as a light armour build,
    as the HP. HP can easily be increased by upgrades and HP shards.
    It may cost a bit, but i'm more than willing to spend it on a build
    that's worth it.

And to a previous comment, heavy/robe builds are not designed only
    to take hits from blademasters. They're designed to survive everything.
    Barbarians have a very hard time trying to kill me, since their damage is
    quite low (if they're a vit build of course). Mage types I have no problem
    against in my robes.

I have a question. You say you have 2k Phys attack. Since you carry around Robes with your Heavy Armor, do you also carry around different rings? Or are you always wearing Mag Attack rings?
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Isala, it dosen't really matter so much which type of rings I wear.
    I happen to be wearing both magic rings which add 10 dex each to
    make wearing my heavy armour possible. I could easily use physical
    attack rings if I wanted to but they'd have to either add the same
    amount of dex or i'd have to restat for it :P

One physical and magic ring would've been ideal but I've been unable
    to find a ring with +10 dex so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Isala, it dosen't really matter so much which type of rings I wear.
    I happen to be wearing both magic rings which add 10 dex each to
    make wearing my heavy armour possible. I could easily use physical
    attack rings if I wanted to but they'd have to either add the same
    amount of dex or i'd have to restat for it :P

One physical and magic ring would've been ideal but I've been unable
    to find a ring with +10 dex so far.

Ah. Thank you. I use both, and it makes quite a difference for me, but I understand that the requirements for you gear would force you to have to be very, very careful about your equipment. I can switch and switch to my heart's content. While I don't have the physical attack and defense of your build, which makes you a much, much better tank, I prefer the evasion and accuracy I get from LA. Can't kill what you can't hit, right?

I thought about using an HA/AA build, but, as you have pointed out, it's a very delicate balance you have to maintain. I might try one on another character, though. It seems like a very effective build.
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    I'll admit this build isn't for everyone, but the accuracy is still pretty good in fox form.
    I have about 61 dex and the fox form skill gives me an accuracy boost anyway,
    along with what the sage version will give me. I hit and crit alot :P

Some might say critting as a veno isn't good as you steal aggro from your pet,
    but i'm built as a tank anyway so it's nothing I can't handle xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009

1-2 shots a BM? I am a robe, 3.5 points/level to magic. I can not kill a BM 1 level below me even the BM does not fight back, I simply do not have enough fire power to take him down in 10 seconds time frame. yes, I can take him down with pure and amp, but it still not 1-2 shots job. But will a BM give a veno a chance to do that?