Wtf...fix the memory leak (or wtf is it?)

2»

Comments

• xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Greetings All,

We're aware of the issue being described in this thread and have alerted the development team to the issue.

We hope to have a fix as soon as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Qwentomec - Heavens Tear
    Qwentomec - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    -Did anyone of you just checked out the REAL TOTAL ammount of ****s on your background by Task manager (OPTIMAL PROCESS SIZE on Win XP Pro = 20; On Vista = 35; if you have more, your Pc is using many process that are totally usless, but usefull to only one thing: SUCK memory/resources.)?

I checked my task manager, and it says 83 processes (I use vista).
    This seemed an absurd amount, so I manually counted them and there is 33...

Anyway I found a button in there that says "Show processes from all users", clicked it, then they all came through.
    Funny thing is, I only have one user account on my computer, and the guest account is turned off.

Wtf?
    you thilly gooses... feather set is thuper fabulous! -Bowlinbob

Chars:
    Qwentomec 94 BM / _Zappy_ 99 Wizzy / xLysander 6x Cleric / MoneyBagz 5x Veno / BaNaNa 3x Barb / _Flappy_ 2x Archer / xKnifey 2x Sin / Spoo_Ney 3x Psy

(cookie for anyone who gets the simpsons reference in those last 2 names)
  • Noggin - Dreamweaver
    Noggin - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Not really on topic, but do you need to leave yourself logged in to run a catshop? I understood the shop remained whilst you were logged off?
  • KallenHapti - Sanctuary
    KallenHapti - Sanctuary Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I understood the shop remained whilst you were logged off?

really? i think it doesn't work that way b:puzzled
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    Banned TB hairstyle made my Kallen cry b:sad
    Training my new wizzie. Current status lvl5X. b:pleased
  • Qwentomec - Heavens Tear
    Qwentomec - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Nope you have to be logged on.
    you thilly gooses... feather set is thuper fabulous! -Bowlinbob

Chars:
    Qwentomec 94 BM / _Zappy_ 99 Wizzy / xLysander 6x Cleric / MoneyBagz 5x Veno / BaNaNa 3x Barb / _Flappy_ 2x Archer / xKnifey 2x Sin / Spoo_Ney 3x Psy

(cookie for anyone who gets the simpsons reference in those last 2 names)
  • Lorsis - Lost City
    Lorsis - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    In too lazy to read all the replies. I guess you have nvidia graphic card, the problem is that your card saving all the graphic data in your memory, first update drivers, then go to nvidia control panel, find pwi on the games list, and try to turn off useless options. If you got a bit of luck you will turn off this eating memory option. As soon as i come back from work, i'll check which option it is, and post it here.
  • Lorsis - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    eeeek, i dunno how it is called, cause i have polish version of my widonws, i can only translate what i have. you have to turn off "thread optimalization"

this screenie is in polish but may help you fix it b:surrender

pfmh2.png
  • isco
    isco Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I got the same crashing in catshop when they implemented the new Nein mount. Would come back and Poof error etc...
  • Insergapwn - Harshlands
    Insergapwn - Harshlands Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    still be a Pc issue, not a client one.

False, so much for you being a so called "Expert" in the sector.

If you knew anything you'd know that it's impossible to optimise a program for every single hardware setup in the world.

It's a client issue not hardware

Or can you explain how the game ran fine for so many previously and they haven't changed their system yet now after a new patch they are having issues ?
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    xarfox wrote: »
    Greetings All,

We're aware of the issue being described in this thread and have alerted the development team to the issue.

Thanks Xarfox! If there's any info that you need, don't hesitate to ask us. Lord knows there are enough people that want to help!
  • BryanFury - Harshlands
    BryanFury - Harshlands Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    False, so much for you being a so called "Expert" in the sector.

If you knew anything you'd know that it's impossible to optimise a program for every single hardware setup in the world.

It's a client issue not hardware

Or can you explain how the game ran fine for so many previously and they haven't changed their system yet now after a new patch they are having issues ?
    And you are the expert of the whole world?

Well let's say, on 2 of my PC i never got any kind of problem, and i tryed also with one of my oldes ones and no problem at all...how you call that? Are all 3 Pc's with different hardwares, i just had to put in the right settings on each.

There may for sure be ALSO a client issue, but mostly is a Pc one.
    some excessive usage of memory from programs,
    some incompatibility with some programs togheter
    some problem with the OS that have itself many inner problems

mostly the crash and other problems are 80% on the Pc side not only on the client one, and if your pc suck, well, not my problem at all, but you can't blame the dev/program/whatever is team for that since your hardware is not at 100% ok.

"For a gasoline car you need gasoline, not water"
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Well let's say, on 2 of my PC i never got any kind of problem, and i tryed also with one of my oldes ones and no problem at all...how you call that? Are all 3 Pc's with different hardwares, i just had to put in the right settings on each.

mostly the crash and other problems are 80% on the Pc side not only on the client one, and if your pc suck, well, not my problem at all, but you can't blame the dev/program/whatever is team for that since your hardware is not at 100% ok.

Try to AFK or setup a catshop at west arch for a hour or two, then come back tell us how your computer goes.
  • Insergapwn - Harshlands
    Insergapwn - Harshlands Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2009

You're the one who claimed to be the expert, I'm just pointing out how you're wrong and it's not a PC issue due to it affecting so many people suddenly after a patch. Everything you've said is correct if it was only 1 or 2 people suffering from issues I'll give you that, but for so many people to suddenly have their computer going wrong I don't really think that's true. Besides the PW devs have aknowledged there's a client side issue.... yet you still try to claim you know better than them ?

It's a memory leak, simple as that just watch the memory allocation in task memory for elementalclient.exe and watch how much it goes after a few hours.

And I really don't get your "for a gas car you need gas, not water" comment, perhaps you should change your name to captain obvious or something b:chuckle
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Bryan,

Even the GM's acknowledge that it's a problem on their end (see the quote below). When it comes to lag, yes there can be problems on the user end, but severe lag experienced by a significant portion of the community is almost always on the provider.
    xarfox wrote: »
    Greetings All,

• G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Until they get it fixed, everyone should just put their genies in the bank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • Rebellious - Sanctuary
    Rebellious - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I have 2 comps and on the 1GB ram one, it can only handle it until the memory leak reaches 200kb ram. On my 2 GB ram one, I didn't have any problems.. until I tried to log off. Then all my programs froze and I used the task manager and saw that pwi had reached 700kb+ of ram. O_O It has never reached over 200kb on this computer before.b:shocked

I've seen this problem with another game I play(they fixed it in a few days with a patch). Definitely a memory leak problem. x.X It can be fixed.. just don't know how long it'll take.b:sad

Until it's fixed, just close the client and relog when things start slowing down.
  • Popsouteggs - Heavens Tear
    Popsouteggs - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I have had the same problem even with my cpu being custom built for some reason since genie patch the game after being left on for a few hours idle saps all the virtual memory and uses almost 60% of my full ram which shouldn't be happening..for now i've found a solution to keep this from happening by sandboxing it but its still an issue to alot of others and should be fixed asap..
  • Lorsis - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Stop QQ and try to fix it like i said. It helped me.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ...it can only handle it until the memory leak reaches 200kb ram.

rofl.

Hey I'm not having problems anymore. I think my computer was downloading updates at night and that would lag it out. I just reinstalled windows recently. lol

-edit- the game still might have problems though. Because my memory was maxed for sure. ;o
  • lordshonsu
    lordshonsu Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    some of these ppl are correct in saying that it is a client side issue. This memory leak can be easily explained.

A steel bucket (computer/memory space) gets filled with water (PWI) if the steel bucket has "no holes" (problems with the computer) in it then it will successfully hold the water. But if to much water is put into the bucket then u will have an overflow. A bucket can only be so big.
  • Katz - Lost City
    Katz - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    the game crashed today i checked the game process and it was taking up 1.5 G memory
    i just had a cat shop in arch for 50 minutes
    i had the settings to optimal performance only because i knew about this bug
    looks like this does not solves the issue
    meow?

b:bye
  • NecroKitty - Harshlands
    NecroKitty - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I pretty much gave up on catshop. DC ed 100% or the time. Not sure how long i stay connect cause i have bought and sold a few items.

I just NPC more items now and it's forcing me to use auction house for the stuff i deem worthy to sell.

It's very annoying.
  • Feito - Dreamweaver
    Feito - Dreamweaver Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Didn't read the replies of this thread but right now I'm quite amused that Firefox is using almost twice the memory PWI is using... b:thanks

Surprisingly, I'm not having any problems. I usually do. My only issue is DCing and lag which I blame on my poor internet connection...
    InStyle is the greatest faction on Dreamweaver! b:victory
    Feito is...
    [x] Still a LA Cleric
    [x] in possession of a BURNING TIGER SPIRIT b:angry
    [x] Sipping some F--KING tea
    [ ] Totally KICKASS
    [ ] Extremely wealthy
    I've got some ways to go!
  • starman17
    starman17 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    at least this solves the "too many cat shops in West Archosaur" problem, right?
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    A friend of mine is having problrms, and said that it appeared over a gig of memory in the task manager, which strongly suggests a memory leak.
    Personally I haven't had any problems, and have been able to run catshops continually without problem.

Tho the first day after the patch I did have some odd graphical issues with textures vanishing, and shortly after the game froze and needed a hard reset.

When you get this use force log out and it won't do this i have had the same problem.When in Arch I would just click on the thing for best performance near you char face.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I don't set up catshops in west archosaur and if I plan on being away for an extended time while I run a catshop, I'll set PWI to high priority.

I have yet to DC while selling in a catshop unless my internet itself went out while I wa away.