Wtf...fix the memory leak (or wtf is it?)

Literature - Harshlands
Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
This game is getting really bad now. I've tried to catshop at night three times. Each time I've woken up to a game crash or EXTREME lag even after ctrl + f9. On one occasion I got that virtual memory too low warning. I checked to see all my ram (2GB on winXP) was being used aswell as all of the page file.

I just went afk for 4 hours and had to restart the game because it was a slideshow in arch. I started it back up but I know that within 30 mins it will start getting bad again.

Wasn't like this before the genie patch.
Post edited by Literature - Harshlands on

Comments

• Esteban - Harshlands
    Esteban - Harshlands Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Happened to me yesterday :(
  • Literature - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    Sent in a ticket...I hope others with the problem do the same. ;o
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Seems like they need a better server or something.....
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Insergapwn - Harshlands
    Insergapwn - Harshlands Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    It's all the genies doing it!! Would be nice for people with low end systems if they included a "turn off genie animations" option.

Even though the game runs perfect still on max settings I've noticed it takes a little while longer to load up stuff in archo which I can only put down to those little glowing sprites everyone has now they've been introduced
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I submitted a ticket the other day detailing what's happening. I got a response (not a great one, see below) but it looks like they are aware of the situation. Try the steps detailed in their message and perhaps it will fix the problem, but my guess your best bet is to wait them to patch the whole in the coming weeks.

MESSAGE FROM PWI CUSTOMER SUPPORT FOLLOWS:

Hi,

Have you tried the Verify option in the front end (beginning game launcher - smaller menu) of the game?

Start the game, select Verify, click on Yes, and let the game verify that your game client's files match the server-side versions of the files. It will also redownload any files that don't match.

This will take some time. Please be patient.

After this process is done, try to get into the game again and see if the same issue(s) occur.

If this does not help, you may need to uninstall, and then re-install and freshly patch the game.

===> 1) If you could please send a DXDiag log, that would help us to diagnose the problem.

To do this, go to Start, click on run, then type in dxdiag and press enter. Click on Save All Information, then attach the text file to your reply. Please do not copy and then paste the text into your email, as our email system will filter it and make it useless to us. Add it to your email as an Attachment.

If in Vista, go to the Start Menu, click in the Search menu and type dxdiag.exe.

==> 2) In addition, a HijackThis log would be a big help.

Go to http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html and download and install the program. Click "Do a system scan and save a log file," then attach the text file to your reply.

Or, use this link to download the program if you need to: or use this link: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

Please do not copy and then paste the text into your email, as our email system will filter it and make it useless to us. Add it to your email as an Attachment.

We'll take a look at those, and give you feedback on our findings.

Let us know if you need additional support.

-Perfect World Tech Support & QA Teams
    www.perfectworld.com
    http://support.perfectworld.com/

END MESSAGE
  • Yukiko - Lost City
    Yukiko - Lost City Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Can't really think of a good reason for sending them a HiJackThis log other than for them to tell you that you've got spyware and trojans.
  • Papacharino - Heavens Tear
    Papacharino - Heavens Tear Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    had the same problem, cat shop 3x, all dc'ed
    then the next day, I catshopped, Alt+tab or the windows key to minimize the game, afked, never dc'ed
  • gouraudpalm2
    gouraudpalm2 Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    If you use windowed mode, click on the close button (the X), this sends the game to system tray and triggers the memory trim function.

I leave catshops this way and never got memory leak error
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    A friend of mine is having problrms, and said that it appeared over a gig of memory in the task manager, which strongly suggests a memory leak.
    Personally I haven't had any problems, and have been able to run catshops continually without problem.

Tho the first day after the patch I did have some odd graphical issues with textures vanishing, and shortly after the game froze and needed a hard reset.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    That seems normal, and on the low side, if anything. The element client process use 3+gb out of 8gb in my computer, running Vista 64bit. Memory leak is continuous bleeding of memory. If a process stops taking more memory after a point, it's not memory leak.

Many people wouldn't be playing PW if it looks like WoW.
    edited May 2009
    That seems normal, and on the low side, if anything. The element client process use 3+gb out of 8gb in my computer, running Vista 64bit. Memory leak is continuous bleeding of memory. If a process stops taking more memory after a point, it's not memory leak.

Many people wouldn't be playing PW if it looks like WoW.

Thats the thing...sometimes it's better than other times. ;o

But I'm noticing nothing abnormal in other games like fear 2, Crysis, lineage 2, and WoW. So it's not me, the patch fked something up. And the lag is only in arch when I had no problems before.
  • Dalgon - Lost City
    Dalgon - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ive also noticed im gettin a lot more graphical lag since the patch came out
  • Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Regardless, it's about time I upgraded my RAM. I was planning to up it two years ago. b:chuckle
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • Batista - Dreamweaver
    Batista - Dreamweaver Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Squeaky clean PC here ... Since our little friends were introduced, I've gotten lag spikes in Arch and in places that contain alot of trees (in the sky).
    Batista (85 Cleric) {Semi-Retired Character}
    Venom (55 Venomancer) {Main Character - On Vacation}
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    territorywar.info (Dreamweaver TW Maps) (Updated 08/28/2010)
    battleoftheimmortals.com (Under Major Construction)
  • BryanFury - Harshlands
    BryanFury - Harshlands Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    -Did anyone of you tryied to use the task manager function "Low Priority" while leaving the Pc idle?

-Did anyone of you tryied to use the "windowed mode" function?

-Did anyone of you just checked out the REAL TOTAL ammount of ****s on your background by Task manager (OPTIMAL PROCESS SIZE on Win XP Pro = 20; On Vista = 35; if you have more, your Pc is using many process that are totally usless, but usefull to only one thing: SUCK memory/resources.)?

-Did anyone of you used to modify the HARDWARE settings of your graphic card to set it to MAX EFFICENCY instead of balanced or Max quality (If you don't know HARDWARE settings are another thing than the SOFTWARE one)?

-Did anyone of you used to modify the pool size of the virtual memory to gain a MINIMUM of 2 GB and a max of 4 GB (That avoid to suck up the REAL memory and block your client)?

-Did anyone of you tryied to CLEAN the graphical/effects (useless) settings on your Windows?

try then report to me here
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i get so much lag in arch >.> but not anwhere else tho (oh no, why did i say that?)
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I recently defragged my computer and that helped out a bit. But with the Genies being out....its working lagging harder then ever....I am assuming it's the Genies...just like during events everyone is asked to put away their pets. Something needs to get figured out.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bloblette
    bloblette Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    -Did anyone of you tryied to use the task manager function "Low Priority" while leaving the Pc idle?

-Did anyone of you tryied to use the "windowed mode" function?

-Did anyone of you just checked out the REAL TOTAL ammount of ****s on your background by Task manager (OPTIMAL PROCESS SIZE on Win XP Pro = 20; On Vista = 35; if you have more, your Pc is using many process that are totally usless, but usefull to only one thing: SUCK memory/resources.)?

-Did anyone of you used to modify the HARDWARE settings of your graphic card to set it to MAX EFFICENCY instead of balanced or Max quality (If you don't know HARDWARE settings are another thing than the SOFTWARE one)?

-Did anyone of you used to modify the pool size of the virtual memory to gain a MINIMUM of 2 GB and a max of 4 GB (That avoid to suck up the REAL memory and block your client)?

-Did anyone of you tryied to CLEAN the graphical/effects (useless) settings on your Windows?

try then report to me here
    If by "OPTIMAL PROCESS SIZE" you mean "optimal number of processes", noone is going to have 20 except on a brand spanking new, unsecured, driverless XP PC.
    Anyway, I have a gaming PC, normally run windowed, have a min VM of 2GB and am not ****. PWI crashes significantly more than it did a week ago.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    bloblette wrote: »
    If by "OPTIMAL PROCESS SIZE" you mean "optimal number of processes", noone is going to have 20 except on a brand spanking new, unsecured, driverless XP PC.
    Anyway, I have a gaming PC, normally run windowed, have a min VM of 2GB and am not ****. PWI crashes significantly more than it did a week ago.
    Ive got a same up to date gaming PC and I do notice more crashes after that update (or last 2 updates)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • BryanFury - Harshlands
    edited May 2009

When i just turn on my Pc, my optimal process size is 20 threads... and is not driverless...since i have for example a CFX application on my background active...while playing 27 included PW, FireFox, MSN, TeamSpeak and the Mouse acceleration program.

Never got a single crash or a local lag problem (the one that concern the PC and not the ISP) and i'm playing full detail on the GAME settings with FULL PERFORMANCE on HARDWARE settings.

So, is something on your Pc that is broke, and fyi i never said that you are a ****...but mostly of the people don't know how to give the right settings on his PC, and that is normal for someone that don't at least work on the sector...even the "self-earn" people have many limits, and i was a kind of that time ago, so i know what i'm speaking about.
  • Starrr - Harshlands
    Starrr - Harshlands Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited May 2009

that wont help anyway. just to make sure that there was no hidden issues on my end i reinstalled windows and the only thing i put on it so far is PW. guess what...still drains memory like crazy. added an extra 2G of memory and guess what...it still drains all 4G now. if i am logged on for more than 30 minutes and walk through arch i take 1 step every 3-4 seconds.

its a waste of time to send in a ticket on the issue since all they will say is its your fault not ours and blah blah blah.
    Staring at the wall is much more rewarding than playing PW.
  • BryanFury - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    that wont help anyway. just to make sure that there was no hidden issues on my end i reinstalled windows and the only thing i put on it so far is PW. guess what...still drains memory like crazy. added an extra 2G of memory and guess what...it still drains all 4G now. if i am logged on for more than 30 minutes and walk through arch i take 1 step every 3-4 seconds.

its a waste of time to send in a ticket on the issue since all they will say is its your fault not ours and blah blah blah.

are 5h that i have leaved my client logged right now, walked for half of the whole full map, and the memory usage still 500MB even in arch.

still be a Pc issue, not a client one.
  • bloblette
    bloblette Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    When i just turn on my Pc, my optimal process size is 20 threads... and is not driverless...since i have for example a CFX application on my background active...while playing 27 included PW, FireFox, MSN, TeamSpeak and the Mouse acceleration program.

Never got a single crash or a local lag problem (the one that concern the PC and not the ISP) and i'm playing full detail on the GAME settings with FULL PERFORMANCE on HARDWARE settings.

So, is something on your Pc that is broke, and fyi i never said that you are a ****...but mostly of the people don't know how to give the right settings on his PC, and that is normal for someone that don't at least work on the sector...even the "self-earn" people have many limits, and i was a kind of that time ago, so i know what i'm speaking about.
    Yeah well lucky you. My (perhaps paranoid) resident security apps take up about 6 processes, with nvidia, creative, wacom, razer, samsung etc taking up several more each and stopping the processes invariably breaks something.

PWI was running perfectly fine a week or two ago, maybe 3 crashes in the 5 months of playing before then. Now, once a day or more. I can still play Crysis and Supreme Commander, the most graphically and ram intensive games I have, on full settings without issue. The only thing that has changed, in the last month even, has been PWI patches. Similar story with my linux server.
    edited May 2009
    Seems like it's ok now. It seems to go back and forth with the performance in arch. I'm starting to agree with everyone else now...this game has server issues. ;o
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i am sure a good maintenance after the genie patch might help things out...
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mirabeth - Sanctuary
    Mirabeth - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited May 2009

So, is something on your Pc that is broke

If it's something on our PC that's broken, why did suddenly tons of people's PCs break simultaneously right after the genie patch? Seems a little coincidental to me. Seems a little coincidental to me that the game crashes on my PC when the memory usage hits around 1,000,000k. And works fine at 170,000-999,999k. Sounds like a memory leak to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Skybelle for the wonderful sig

Where did you go, where did you go? How did you know to get out of a world gone mad? Help me let go of the chaos around me, the devil that hounds me. I need you to tell me "Child be still". If the darkest hour comes before the light, where is the light?
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i noticed this in another thread (sorry i forgot who but credit/kudos ill try to dig up your name later), if you are windowed and click X and reopen game a lot of the lag goes away well temporarily at least, it didnt save my catshop from a crash over a few hours though (keeping game in tray mode that is)
  • Tieresius - Lost City
    Tieresius - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'm pretty sure they are doing what they can to fix the issue.
    Despite what people say, I think that people that run PW do care about people's satisfaction.
    We just need to grin and bear it until they come up with a fix. I'll bet that they are flooded with Bug Reports, all of which are the same.
  • ADvEnTcUrSe - Sanctuary
    ADvEnTcUrSe - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    This game is getting really bad now. I've tried to catshop at night three times. Each time I've woken up to a game crash or EXTREME lag even after ctrl + f9. On one occasion I got that virtual memory too low warning. I checked to see all my ram (2GB on winXP) was being used aswell as all of the page file.

I just went afk for 4 hours and had to restart the game because it was a slideshow in arch. I started it back up but I know that within 30 mins it will start getting bad again.

Wasn't like this before the genie patch.

you guys don't get it

this is there way of slowly down the catshops b:pleased
  • PequetteV - Lost City
    PequetteV - Lost City Posts: 1,202 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    oh wow im happy to see im not alone who have bigger lag since genie

yes my compu is really bad i had already small lag/ram in arch but now it really bad lol canot move for 30seconds or so
    genesis (r.i.p.) ===> conqueror (r.i.p.) ===> zen (r.i.p.) ===> iam (r.i.p.) ===> guardianz (r.i.p.) ===> spectral ===> essence
    starting to be a nice guild hoppers b:surrender

go on my website it contains lots useful informations about PWI

[noparse]http://pequette.comuf.com[/noparse]