Pulling a monster - guide

Options
mihai
mihai Posts: 33 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Venomancer
Your pet is a tank, a damage dealer, a lifesaver, and cherished companion (hey, he's always able to play when you are.) Your pet is also the best puller in the entire game. The fine art of pulling is a necessary skill that I find many Venomancers have not mastered.

Pulling refers to extracting 1 monster from a group of several aggro monsters. When walking into the pack equals certain death (or just an unpleasant pummeling) then you need to pull one mob at a time. Many people think a ranged attack will pull a single monster. Try it in a dungeon, you will get mobbed. We must all learn to pull.

Step 1 - Get ready

Stand well back from the monsters, fully out of range. Have your pet out, ready, and loyal. Select your target, but do not attack. Press 'P' to bring up pet screen.

Step 2 - Pet attacks
Have your PET attack. You do not attack. Click on the pet attack icon, or Press Alt 1. Your pet will obligingly run over and attack. Good Pet.

Step 3 - Dismiss pet

After your pet has hit the chosen mob 1 time dismiss your pet. Yes, I said Dismiss. (This is why you have the pet screen up BEFORE starting the attacks.) You see, after your pet attacks he will be mobbed. We are trying to avoid a mobbing, so dismiss your pet. If your pet dies OR is dismissed, then anything your pet attacked will come running for YOU.
Believe it or not we want that sometimes.

Step 4 - Call up pet

Immediately after dismissing you pet, you must call up your pet. Wouldn't want that monster getting to you without your faithful companion by your side. If you were far enough from the group of monsters your pet should be ready before the monster hits you.

It's a lot easier to open P page and pull the pets image to your hotkeys

then you hit your hot key/click it's picture once to call it and once to unsummon it

If your short on time you can even have a fast pet with a good move like high level ripping bite to make the hit then unsummon

Then pull out your tanker

If you have a spot on your action bar you should try this method.

Celaeris also pointed out that if you have a Werebeast or other tank in your party, then you don't need to resummon your pet. This is true, but pet does additional damage, so it's up to you.

Step 5 - Kill monster

As soon as your pet has been called up you need to kill the mob. Sometimes this means having the pet attack while you heal, sometimes you just kill it together. If the mobs are really packed in I will have one pet pulling, then call up a fresh (undamaged) pet to kill the monster. Annoying to keep switching, but if it keeps me alive without cash shop goodies so be it.

Step 6 - Rinse and repeat

Other stuff - When in a dungeon with others, you will find that many people don't understand how pulling works. Many melee types will jump in to save your pet, then bring the whole mess of monsters back to you. The result is usually a lot of death. Ranged attackers may also try to bail your pet out, and bring multiple mobs back for a round of fun and exp loss.

Save yourself some frustration (and experience) and take a minute or two to explain how you are going to pull the mobs. Tell them not to attack until the pulled mob has walked over to the group. Tell them not to go charging in. Tell them to ONLY attack the monster you are attacking.

In time everyone will understand, but for now (based on many dungeon runs) many people just don't get it, and a lot of people wound up dead and frustrated.

Basically, sometimes you do want to resummon, but you don't need the pet to get the aggro off of you. Basically, whoever attacks the chasing mob will get aggro (or if a priest heals you). You just want to make sure someone (pet or party member) takes the mob from you.

I do resummon, heal up my pet, and then usually go off to lure the next mob. (Although in other situations, I'll need to revive my pet, if it died, heal it up, give it a bit of loyalty first). Any decent party can kill a dungeon mob in about 10-15 seconds, so your job as a WF is to make sure there's a constant stream of mobs so you clear out the dungeon fast. So I've done a lot of lure, and then summon again to lure the next mob. You just have to be a bit slower to ensure that they kill the mob before the next one comes (so someone can take the mob off of you). HP Enhanced are the ones to really watch out for, the rest go down pretty fast. Defense Enhanced / Magic resist are annoying too, but it depends on your groups composition.

But that's more about learning to party play and dynamics, which is kind of out of the scope of the guide. I like to do things fast, and do it safe, so you'll have to balance things out.

And you will find moves that move really fast in later dungeons (aka Hall of Dusk), and you'll probably get nuked once (or hit by an archer) before your pet can take aggro, so you have to be careful. Sometimes when your pet is going to lure, you run back so you separate a bit more distance between you and the mob. But this is all advanced techniques. Any reader who cares will read the rest of the topic to see more tips (or at least I'd think the first page).
IGN: JusT_CooL
Server: Lost City <--- PM with that name if u want sth,
Guild: Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
[SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by mihai on

Comments

• karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    mihai wrote: »
    Save yourself some frustration (and experience) and take a minute or two to explain how you are going to pull the mobs. Tell them not to attack until the pulled mob has walked over to the group. Tell them not to go charging in. Tell them to ONLY attack the monster you are attacking.

Explain them also to use the "assist" function to target the same mobs as you. Sometimes, you don't always pull the closest mob in a pack.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • kitsunee
    kitsunee Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Nice guide =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syldra
    syldra Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    any recommendations on specific pets to pull with? or does it even really matter?
  • prosper
    prosper Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thank you, not enough people know how to do this. =D
  • prosper
    prosper Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    syldra wrote: »
    any recommendations on specific pets to pull with? or does it even really matter?

Typically a fast pet like the Dharma will be good for pulling. But no, it doesn't make a huge difference, though it will need to survive about 5 seconds of gangrape from the pack of mobs you are pulling from.
  • kaosnight
    kaosnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thanks, nice guide
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I didn't realize it was possible to write so much just about luring, lol. But nicely written anyway =p

And yes, typically you want a fast pet. Dharma is fast, blue/orange chickens in fb59 are fast, they're all around 9-10m/s. All you really need though, is something at 7m/s or so. If it's too slow like the golem, and the boss aggros it with magic, it might one shot your golem before your golem can even reach it.

One more thing I'd like to add. If you're hitting an archer mob and it starts to run away, you can click "follow" on your golem to make it run towards you, pulling the archer mob back. This is a lot easier than either watching the archer mob kite you into another group of mobs and being forced to lure again. It does require you to have your pet set to manual attack though as defense mode makes it only run back a little bit before turning around to chase the mob again, and I think autoattack does the same thing, although I'm not too clear on this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wabbitt
    wabbitt Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Another imprtant thing to know, is sometimes monsters are "grouped", ie even if you follow these pulling instructions, you will pull a group. These are specific cases though, and theres always a way around it...

For example the monsters in fb39 (instance SW of city of the lost) have several boss encounters and each of these the boss has several minions closeby. You can pull the minions dafely using the above technique and then kill the boss. If you however try and save time by just pulling the boss first, his minions will come too. The above method wont save you.

Im not sure how it works on fb19. Ive always kiled the minions first on that one. I know in fb29 you can pull the boss without pulling the minions. fb39 ive already discussed. I think fb49 works like fb39, but im not sure. fb59 you usually use wine so there are no minions to worry about and fb69 ive only done a few times, and when we didnt have wine we always pulled the minions first, so I dont know.

Outiside bosses I always kill the minions first anyway, to stop them pathing back onto you later.
  • cherylw
    cherylw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The speed of the pet is not a major problem, the skill you pull the mob is.im using a golem and its defense is very high.....and he had been my pet even when i go for 69fb.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    cherylw wrote: »
    The speed of the pet is not a major problem, the skill you pull the mob is.im using a golem and its defense is very high.....and he had been my pet even when i go for 69fb.

Good luck with asura in 2-x.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • demise
    demise Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Eldergoth Marksman with their regular pet skills turned off work pretty well too if you don't lag. :p
  • icebreath
    icebreath Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Nice post, but are you sure this isnt a bug?

I only ask cause it dont sound like its "normal" by doing this.

Would be nice to see a post from PW saying this is 100% ok and not a bug.

;)
  • demise
    demise Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It's normal. The same thing would occur if your pet died while attacking a mob anyhow. The mob would then find and attack the source of damage dealt to it; the werefox. You can kinda relate the stowing away of the pet to it's death.
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    icebreath wrote: »
    Nice post, but are you sure this isnt a bug?

I only ask cause it dont sound like its "normal" by doing this.

Would be nice to see a post from PW saying this is 100% ok and not a bug.

;)
    this should be normal, at low lvl it's hard to do even a fb19 without luring... and i'm not even discussing about the mobs that guard the boss :P
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

• Camryah - Heavens Tear
    Camryah - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    It's not a bug, it's a tactic. :D
  • Jazzboo - Sanctuary
    Jazzboo - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    b:chucklethis guide is perfect. thnxb:thanks
    LIGHT IS THE KEY. DARKNESS IS THE LOCK. PERFECT WORLD IS THE PLACE BEYOND THE DOOR.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Super thread nerco ability.
  • tulsami
    tulsami Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    thanks so much,

even though i already had the basics down when i read this (thanks to obssy) but if i didn't this would have come in uber handy.

one thing i want to advise is to practice all the time, even if you are just grinding, because the better you are at it, the more of use you can be in a party. personally, i needed LOTS of practice before i started to feel consistant, and still don't like to volenteer my services yet, lol.
  • Ladyselene - Heavens Tear
    Ladyselene - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Ok well this is how i have always pulled mobs, not just dungeons etc but its saved my butt on many occasions like for example the heavenware quest. that was easy. i use my frog for tanking and if i need a fast pet to lure i will use kitty.

just a note, if u are luring a moving mob and it goes too far away your pet will come back to you, but it will also bring multiple mobs as well so be careful

goood guide though
    [SIGPIC]http://i43.tinypic.com/x549ac.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Friends are like stars, you dont have to see them to know they are there

We can't call people without wings angels, so we call them friends instead

Friends are the roses of life: pick them carefully and avoid the thorns
  • claw66
    claw66 Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    WOW this guid helped a lot! i think it needs a stickyb:laugh
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    claw66 wrote: »
    WOW this guid helped a lot! i think it needs a stickyb:laugh

don't worry, it's mentioned under Veno FAQ thread which it's sticked

• Sheraine - Sanctuary
    Sheraine - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    So, I thought I had the technique down but obviously not as this keeps happening to me:

I send in pet for a mob, as it runs past other mob(s) it draws aggro and they start after it, it hits the mob I sent it for (doesn't hit any of the others) I dismiss it and the mob it hit plus the others it ran past all come running to me. What am I doing wrong?
  • keyshey
    keyshey Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    maybe you have some pet skills activated that are aggro'ing the other mobs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • unknown862
    unknown862 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    another thing.. dont lure with hercules when he has reflect on... can get pretty bad >.<;;

also u dont have to wait to c pet hit to dismiss pet... as soon as pet start their animation to atk, you can dismiss them (higher chance of pet staying alive if the pack of mobs are strong... (best example forshura in 2-1, 2-2, 2-3)
  • Sheraine - Sanctuary
    Sheraine - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    unknown862 wrote: »
    another thing.. dont lure with hercules when he has reflect on... can get pretty bad >.<;;

also u dont have to wait to c pet hit to dismiss pet... as soon as pet start their animation to atk, you can dismiss them (higher chance of pet staying alive if the pack of mobs are strong... (best example forshura in 2-1, 2-2, 2-3)
    Aaah, ok, that is probably what I'm doing wrong. I have been sending him in with full buffs on. Thank you. And thanks for the insight on when to dismiss also as I have been waiting which doesn't give a lot of time to dismiss, pull him back up, get his buffs on and be prepared to save my butt, lol.
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    How is this not stickied? I know that there are a lot of noobs (myself included here) that could/should be using this.

Oh well. Bookmarked for now.
  • thomashoyt
    thomashoyt Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    So pretty much you stand back and have your pet run up and attack once then retreat and summon out a different one? Are there any youtube vids of a good example of this it seems to be very helpful and I can use all the help I can get.
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    thomashoyt wrote: »
    So pretty much you stand back and have your pet run up and attack once then retreat and summon out a different one? Are there any youtube vids of a good example of this it seems to be very helpful and I can use all the help I can get.

summon the same pet

• Zhoelle - Sanctuary
    Zhoelle - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well, you don't have to summon the same pet, but it might be more convenient to do so.

An option: fast pet pulls, then out comes your tank to do the fighting
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    b:laughWhat will they think of next?
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132