It's not that they suck...

Mephistic - Dreamweaver
Mephistic - Dreamweaver Posts: 77 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
These Genies are a real great addition, I have mine up to lvl39 and the MAJOR problem is that they are SEVERELY UNDERPOWERED. I have this skill for my genie at lvl5 (Some Flame Blade thingy) and its HORRIBLE! The skills would be top notch if it was not for their ANNOYINGLY LOW DAMAGE OUTPUT and COMICAL DURATION calculator, I find it funny how the lvl of the skill doesn't increase the Duration or Power, but instead the Genies attributes do? LOL come on, it doesn't work that way for us...so the genies should be formatted the same way and I mean attributes would be ok, but you (the Devs) make it so 40-50points increase a skills Duration by 1sec or 1 Strength = 1%?. The latter not as bad, but would like power to be governed by skill level.

My suggestion, this is an open beta right? PLEASE do something to the Genies and make them a bit more powerful (and fixing some of the skill effects would be nice too...some don't even work properly >_> I heard the Healing skills don't heal might be wrong).
These Genies have such amazing potential but it's like you(the Devs) don't want them actually having any use until the player and Genie are at MUCH MUCH MUCH higher lvls. That just doesn't seem cool.

Anyone Have stuff to add, or do you Agree/Disagree with me? Lets get this thing moving and see what happens! b:victory
Post edited by Mephistic - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    It's just the first day of the Genies...so there's bound to be a few nicks here and there...I personally love the Genies. My lil' Infliction's Earth Claw does about 3k damage each cast, which I find a great help! Also, my cute Genie's Spark reduces Fire Resistance for a bit, which is great to use while channeling Pyrogram/Divine Pyrogram. Then, of course, there's Relentless Courage, which I always use to boost my Channeling speed in a pinch! ^_^ It's all about how you use them. They're not meant to be super-powered secondary characters, but a little nudge of help every now and again. ^-^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • TameThat - Sanctuary
    TameThat - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What did you expect ? Genie aren't suppose to be better then your normal skill. It's something that adds you a little plus to your caracter. It's not suppose to be the main thing of your caracter, otherwise that would be rediculous.
    ~~~ My Guides ~~~

Mystical Tome (h ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250862)
    AOE Grinding with Venomancer (h ttp://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guide_to_AOE_Grinding_With_Venomancer)
  • blackcid4
    blackcid4 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    my genie is in lvl 66 and this genie is not useful.
    for example thunderstorm lvl 7 with 40 str do 2K-3K damage...
    another example, firedragon lvl 2... I can't use it, becouse I need 63 VIT!!!!! ...
    b:angry
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What are you guys talking about. I agree with Mephistic, those genies need to be able to one shot EVERYONE.
  • U_got_sniped - Lost City
    U_got_sniped - Lost City Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    personaly i found some of the skills really usefull.
    espeacially the tree of protection. didnt meditate or use 1hp pot in 3 hours grind (on lvl42 mobs of course)b:victory
    i guess the genies are ment to defend not to attack.lmao

and no i dont have anything better to do -.-
  • Xhinzo - Harshlands
    Xhinzo - Harshlands Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    So far I find the buffs and debuffs to be useful. Depends on what you are looking for. As a wizard Any bonus damage is just that, bonus.
  • blackcid4
    blackcid4 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Bonus? I spend 1.4M spirit in a low bonus? b:angry
  • Snakedoctor - Harshlands
    Snakedoctor - Harshlands Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I don't agree. I haven't level'd any up to high so i don't know the exact uses yet. I do think however you should have to work hard and long to get something that is strong and rewarding. People want everything so easy in games these days. They want to be lvl 1000 and have the strongest spells and gear in a week and really i don't get it. That makes a game boring and makes players leave quickly. To get strong spells, eq, stats should take a long time as a reward to players that take the time to play. It gives you goals to work towards and makes playing the game in the long run more enjoyable and rewarding.

Your char is your main dd/buffer/defense not your genie. It is a nice add on to the game and really diversifies your char further as to your skills/builds etc, which is great but it should not be something that now allows you to one hit things you used to 6 hit. Or make you OP in PvP battles etc.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    personaly i found some of the skills really usefull.
    espeacially the tree of protection. didnt meditate or use 1hp pot in 3 hours grind (on lvl42 mobs of course)b:victory
    i guess the genies are ment to defend not to attack.lmao

and no i dont have anything better to do -.-

You do realize that their skills are far from free, right? You need to "refil" the genie once he runs out of endurance.. And those stones are already going for 100k each....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    These are buff fairies, not god-making attachments. It isn't fair to expect them to make you the best player in the game with the best haxorz skillz evar instantly. And the SP -> Exp is supposed to stretch out over time a bit, not all at once. If you had 1.4 mil to spend... boy do I envy you at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Actually, it is that they suck.

They suck coins, exp, sp, and gear (for the mana recharges) and give back diddly-squat. For what little these skills add for a ridiculous cost per cast, I cannot see anybody using them for long outside of PvP and maybe some boss fights. In the PvP context, these just represent another big step up in the arms race. If the skills did more or lasted longer or cost less, I might not say this. But, as it is, the genie expansion just sucks.
  • Mephistic - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2009
    I guess I just have to wait till I get alot higher, but I love the skill Wind Shield...It just doesnt last that long. I wouldn't mind if they were totally defense oriented, Just make the Durations a bit longer. I didnt mean to make it sound like underpowered just meant their ability to Kill is bad. I mainly want the durations and power of attacks and buffs/debuffs to be governed by the skills level not 40-50 attribute points, thats just too much(I think). Power of attacks would just be a plus.
    edited May 2009
    .........how do i delet posts o_O
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    .........how do i delet posts o_O

Can't young troll...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
    edited May 2009
    You do realize that their skills are far from free, right? You need to "refil" the genie once he runs out of endurance.. And those stones are already going for 100k each....

do u mean the stones u get from decomposing random stuffs?
    they are completely free if u get it from a mob. you can also buy some equipments from NPCs then decompose themb:chuckle
    btw lvl40 supply stash gives 500 perfect stones wich should be enough for a few monthsb:laugh
    or weeksb:surrender
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    umm if you mean the stones to refill stamina then you can just decompose random equipments from mob drop or a NPC.
    got all manufacturing maxed for my lvl so getting these stones wont be a problemb:chuckle.
    btw lvl 40 supply stash also gives 500 perfect stonesb:laugh.
    gonna start spending some as soon somebody starts to write a guide

Go ahead and use one of those perfect stones and see how much stamina it buys you. Convert the stamina cost of any of the half-decent skills into a coin value (even if you would otherwise just NPC all the gear drops you get). Right now everyone is using up the starting stamina the genies come with so they are free skills. Soon, though, the price will start to kick in.
    edited May 2009
    Can't young troll...

ouch gotta work harder so i dont make my master mad -.-

and bobby it is possible to play PW without genies.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    *shrugs* You don't HAVE to get 'em...I like 'em because they're just a nice little bonus, and I appreciate the extra damage, no matter what the cost in spirit or coin. After all, I play this game to enjoy it, not to level fast...I know I'll regain all of that Spirit and Coin eventually...so until then... *huggles Infliction* ...let's get out there and have some fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    genies suck. I pretty much keep mine out because it looks cool. All the attack skills are complete garbage...especially for a pure mag veno. It makes no difference in my kill speed. And the heal spell I got doesn't work.You pretty much have to pour all points into magic to be able to use skills in a reasonable about of time. But if you do that, you get no bonuses on your skills.

I will go try to put that +50% flight speed on mine later...seems like the best one out of all those skills.
  • Mephistic - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2009
    ouch gotta work harder so i dont make my master mad -.-

and bobby it is possible to play PW without genies.

Yes it is...I did pretty well without them till now, I'm just gonna worry about leveling myself. After I'm high enough I'll worry about getting my Genie higher.

There's just no fighting it, these Genies were meant to supplement the higher leveled population. Rightly so too if I must say, they have been playing really long and the Genies are probably a nice change of pace. I even learned that the Attribute and Affinity reset tools are available at 70+. So yea, if you are a low level player (like me ^.^) I guess we just gotta wait a bit longer to fully utilize these cute little Genies.
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    well...stuns are still good, seals are still good, etc.

how is the damage in pvp? is it reduced as well?
    edited May 2009
    genies suck. I pretty much keep mine out because it looks cool. All the attack skills are complete garbage...especially for a pure mag veno. It makes no difference in my kill speed. And the heal spell I got doesn't work.You pretty much have to pour all points into magic to be able to use skills in a reasonable about of time. But if you do that, you get no bonuses on your skills.

I will go try to put that +50% flight speed on mine later...seems like the best one out of all those skills.

The immune all damages skill and the immune elemental damage could come in handy for a pure magic veno, in case pet looses aggro, should keep you alive long enough for the pet to get aggro back. Besides that, when you look at the cost to cast (perfect stones already going for 100k...) genies seem to be to use only in case of emergency....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Actually, it is that they suck.

They suck coins, exp, sp, and gear (for the mana recharges) and give back diddly-squat. For what little these skills add for a ridiculous cost per cast, I cannot see anybody using them for long outside of PvP and maybe some boss fights. In the PvP context, these just represent another big step up in the arms race. If the skills did more or lasted longer or cost less, I might not say this. But, as it is, the genie expansion just sucks.

I have to agree with this. As an example: Level 10 Healing, while certainly a useful skill, costs 500 endurance per application. I haven't seen nor tested the recharge rate of chi stones, but assuming 1 Yiyaun gives one endurance at preinflation prices that means 50k per cast. I know the devs don't control in-game prices, but they certainly knew what they were prior to the patch.

*Edit* I just went and tested, a level 6 Liuho Stone gave 400 endurance, so the cost isn't quite as prohibitive as I had originally thought. Still not really worth the cost in PvE, but manageable for PvP or "emergency" situations.
    *endEdit*

Outside of PvP I see no good reason to even have a genie equipped, at higher levels at least. Some classes have trouble at certain levels, so I suppose they can counter this with the right skills, but overall I just don't see the cost being anywhere near worth it. We didn't have any trouble with PvE before, so there's no good reason to throw money away just make it even easier. Perhaps if there were passive skills to use, or persistent skills with low endurance costs, then maybe I could see them being useful.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Whoot...as long as they look cool flying around I'm okay with that!! b:victory
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    yup who doesnt want a enormous bug flying around theyr headsb:laugh
    and also you can try scare noobs away by telling them its the demon/sage fairies
  • mistigrikitty
    mistigrikitty Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    My level 67 venom leveled one to level 37....

Cost her: over 100k SP.. 25% of her EXP and the stone that the NPC gives... and for what???

To have a Heal that doesn't seem to work... to have a little poison spell that is ridiculous and a fire AOE that gives 4 dam ROFL....Oh it did crit fro 6 points... ROFL.. oh.. and I used the perfect chi that you get from the stash.. used 2 sets actually ( transfered one set from a char I barely play)>. and it filled about 70000/99999.. so you need a huge amount to fill the stamina... ROFL

I will mostly use it 'cause it's pink and it fits with me ROFL...

I will play with them for fun.. but I"ll not invest anything in it no more :)
    edited May 2009
    My level 67 venom leveled one to level 37....

Cost her: over 100k SP.. 25% of her EXP and the stone that the NPC gives... and for what???

To have a Heal that doesn't seem to work... to have a little poison spell that is ridiculous and a fire AOE that gives 4 dam ROFL....Oh it did crit fro 6 points... ROFL.. oh.. and I used the perfect chi that you get from the stash.. used 2 sets actually ( transfered one set from a char I barely play)>. and it filled about 70000/99999.. so you need a huge amount to fill the stamina... ROFL

I will mostly use it 'cause it's pink and it fits with me ROFL...

I will play with them for fun.. but I"ll not invest anything in it no more :)

So you are not buying the "cheap" armors for the genies???
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Why would genies' effectiveness be comparable to a player's? Then we'd just all be venos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
    edited May 2009
    Why would genies' effectiveness be comparable to a player's? Then we'd just all be venos.

I dont think it is so much comparing to players as comparing the cost to use their weak skills. I am glad their skills are not very strong, however, for what you get from them (except for a handfull that are very useful in pvp), the cost to use them is just too high.
  • mistigrikitty
    mistigrikitty Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    So you are not buying the "cheap" armors for the genies???

Minimum 1 mil for 1 piece... ROFL... don't think so b:chuckle