advantage of sword BM?

dingoegret231
dingoegret231 Posts: 8 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Blademaster
i read some guides that seem to indicate that the axe and pole arm BM are all around better than the sword BMs, due to their AoE and PvP skills, so i was jut wondering what is the specialty of a sword BM, or rather why would anyone go the sword path rather than axe or pole arm?
Post edited by dingoegret231 on

Comments

• Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    why would anyone go the sword path rather than axe or pole arm?

Some of us like to play BM on the hardest mode or setting which is sword.

If you want to play on the easiest setting then you go AXES.

Sword is considered the worst weapon in the BM tree. Saying that, IMO is the best on PVE for melee mobs 1v1. Since you can knockback the opponent with "atmos strike" do some damage and then apply range skills or a bow to hit the mob and repeat the process until the mob is dead (poleblade can do it too).

Myriad of swords stance(ultimate skill on the sword tree) is really good for finishing moves or bosses.

Another thing on sword is that its skills efects are kinda of useless for PVP except for the ultimate. Mage bane effect is useless and the knockback from Atmos does not work on PVP.b:chuckle

However, if I want to save MP. I use fists vs any mob for 1V1 cases.

Saying that, I use fists/swords and a bit of axes as my built but I dont do PVP.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    Maddrox - Harshlands Posts: 1,140 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I agreee, sword bm's take skill and knowing your character and skills to play well. Done right. they outright own more than any other BM type and can aoe well enough to speed up grinding a bit. We can be lethal in PvP.b:surrender People just don't understand us
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Funny sword story from couple days ago:

A cleric friend invited me to to zhen (just the two of us in nightscream island).

Well, as you know. I'm sword/fists with a axes AOE up to level 1 each, without the ultimate.

keep in mind, many non-bm players are very ignorant regarding AOE, they assume that we can all do what axes guys do. My friend is one of those.

As soon as I started killing mobs 1v1. She says: "you have to run fast and pull many mobs and then AOE them".

Well, I do that but still is taking me longer than regular axes guys plus I'm low vit I cant tank too much. She is saying that I;m doing ok but I dont agree and I decided not to continue.

A wizard friend call me for Zen and since she has two BM (probably axes since in santuary we are full of them)and anothrer cleric. I decided to go since I can help better that way. I invited my cleric friend and we started again.

For my surprise, one of the BM is poleblade and the other is sword too (b:chuckle) they are 79 and 80.b:chuckle

Well, since the guys saw me hanging around with my axes and fists they are pulling the mobs to the BB for me to AOE. LOL

Since they were tanking, I was doing axes AOE plus the AOE skills common in the BM tree. They were just doing the common ones.

Anyway, I think it was worth sharing lol

message: non-bm players still expect you to do the job as axes guys do. LOL
  • Xelea - Heavens Tear
    Xelea - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The sword BM is a major fail.. WHY?? well let the flame begin..
    1 your damage SUX ****
    2 Axe BM is far better at EVERYTHING than swrod BM is
    3. (see reason one) DPS on a BM is SHT.. roll an archer if you want DPS
  • KhaosShadow - Sanctuary
    KhaosShadow - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Normally people play what they want to play. Most high level sword BM's like using swords, so they do. Others switch to spear/axe because they want to level faster when they get higher level.

BM's aren't make or break by the weapon they use or the build that they have. It really comes down to player skill.

I personally use all 4 weapons, but find swords the least useful. The only thing that is useful is the 2 spark move. Fists kill faster 1vs1 pve and spear/axe have higher damage so kill faster then swords 1vs1 and can also aoe well.
  • Zoronoa - Sanctuary
    Zoronoa - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    1 your damage SUX ****
    hmmm axe bms arent everything lol, i can beat axe bms cus they have horrible accuracy and evasion, im a sword bm but i use claws fighting axe users, and for damage, crits and hitting fast make up for that, hmmmmmmm
    calamity axes vs. dark flash and unfortunatly calamity axes lost, and besides there is no real axe bm build cus barbs have that title, its like an archer saying fist is better than a bow or crossbow, or even a slingshot
    edited May 2009
    hmmm axe bms arent everything lol, i can beat axe bms cus they have horrible accuracy and evasion, im a sword bm but i use claws fighting axe users, and for damage, crits and hitting fast make up for that, hmmmmmmm
    calamity axes vs. dark flash and unfortunatly calamity axes lost, and besides there is no real axe bm build cus barbs have that title, its like an archer saying fist is better than a bow or crossbow, or even a slingshot

So I'm guessing that you both just sat there and attacked each other. A smart BM is going to kite a fist BM. When 1 step takes them out of your weapon range it's rather easy to nullify fists attack speed, and when they're doing 2-3x what you're doing per hit you will lose. Maybe you need to get a little higher level or duel better players for it to show though. Using acc equips will easily allow axes users to hit all but the highest evade BM's (talking about the LA fist users with all +eva and high lvl evade shards in there armor).

And an axe BM is a very different role to play then a barb.

Also, you started your statement making it sound like you were going to actually give reasons to go sword but ended up saying why claws are better then axes, which is kinda irrelevant to the topic.

All weapons have there use for BM's and each one can be great in the hands of a skilled player. Some take more effort then others to learn. No one weapon is simply better then another weapon. I honestly do not know a reason to go purely with the sword path, imo BM's shouldn't use just 1 weapon anyway. If you want to use swords then use them. Learning from experience is a lot more helpful then listening to others.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009

Axes is my weapon for AOE. So, I dont have any passive on it and I'm using level 60 TT axes. Well, I have all the passive from sword plus a TT70 sword.

My stats are high dex. Therefore I cant use TT70 axes. Saying that, I noticed the DPS on normal attack from my axes is not far away from my sword.b:shocked

If the knockback from Atmos was still available and the mage bane was usefull. Then Sword would have a better chance but until that I dont see sword beating axes often.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    1 your damage SUX ****

I would kill you, but your noob bullocks is on a pve server kid >_>
    You either suck at BM, or have some friends who suck at the class.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    Axes is my weapon for AOE. So, I dont have any passive on it and I'm using level 60 TT axes. Well, I have all the passive from sword plus a TT70 sword.

My stats are high dex. Therefore I cant use TT70 axes. Saying that, I noticed the DPS on normal attack from my axes is not far away from my sword.b:shocked

If the knockback from Atmos was still available and the mage bane was usefull. Then Sword would have a better chance but until that I dont see sword beating axes often.

Swords EASILY beat axes as long as the sword user can use them. Like 70% life left, and own them your lvl or higher.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    b:nosebleedeveryone go die
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Swords EASILY beat axes as long as the sword user can use them. Like 70% life left, and own them your lvl or higher.

And then you woke up?
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    And then you woke up?

No, don't be mad that you aren't skilled enough , or even know the possibilities of a sword bm. kthnxb:bye

Sorry Lyndura, but your opinion is worthless in this topic.
  • Krel - Heavens Tear
    Krel - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    just get all the skills and carry all the weapons..be atrue "blade master" and not choose a path like a democrat or a republican..be the master..the master of blades!!!b:laugh

switch between weapons you cheap scapes..i think choosing one path is epic fails anyways.

the guy above me talks smack because he is in another server.
    I luv my luvsalotb:dirty

Fear Me:I will and can unleash my true demon forum troll from at anytime..so beware.

Im A wizzie with godly looks and your all jealousb:bye
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    just get all the skills and carry all the weapons..be atrue "blade master" and not choose a path like a democrat or a republican..be the master..the master of blades!!!b:laugh

switch between weapons you cheap scapes..i think choosing one path is epic fails anyways.

the guy above me talks smack because he is in another server.

I agree with multiple paths definately, don't do it myself because I don't think that it would be anything but mediocre in all of them. But im sure being on a pve server it doesn't really matter much. and I talk smack because I disagree, that's all kid. b:victory
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I agree with multiple paths definately, don't do it myself because I don't think that it would be anything but mediocre in all of them. But im sure being on a pve server it doesn't really matter much. and I talk smack because I disagree, that's all kid. b:victory

How does going multiple paths mean you're mediocre in all of them...
    ex. a pole/axe hybrid bm has access to the same equips and skills that a pure pole or axe user has.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009

You only get the skills that you need from every weapon.
    That's what's makes you strong lol
  • Bladecutter - Sanctuary
    Bladecutter - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    1 your damage SUX ****

... our dmg is not as good, but Axe bm IS NOT better at everything than sword bm, they always fail me, and those who have dex, dont have enough hp to survive me..
    So I'm guessing that you both just sat there and attacked each other. A smart BM is going to kite a fist BM. When 1 step takes them out of your weapon range it's rather easy to nullify fists attack speed, and when they're doing 2-3x what you're doing per hit you will lose. Maybe you need to get a little higher level or duel better players for it to show though. Using acc equips will easily allow axes users to hit all but the highest evade BM's (talking about the LA fist users with all +eva and high lvl evade shards in there armor).

Fist OWN.. when you are getting hit by 200 200 200 200 200 200 while you hit 500 miss 500 you notice why they do...
    edited May 2009
    Fist OWN.. when you are getting hit by 200 200 200 200 200 200 while you hit 500 miss 500 you notice why they do...

lol, you didn't read my post at all. You don't get to hit for 200 200 200 200 200 200 if they step back an inch and out of fists range (and hopefully you'd crit one of those anyway b:chuckle ) And a HA fist BM is going to be hit a lot by a well geared axe BM. And I'm not talking about 2 misty rings. Just some +acc/dex on equips and using descent acc shards in weapon.

And FYI I love fists and use them quite often. I think they're fun to play with and at some points are the best choice. BUT I use all 4 weapons, I have all the skills and switch between them quite often. The only time I use fists is when I know the other BM isn't going to move away or I'm dueling a barb and the only reason I do is because I refuse to use mp pots like most other BM's do, I believe it makes duels require almost no skill if you don't need to watch mp usage.

To get back on topic, like I said before. The reason to choose swords, or really any weapon is because of your own personal play style. I personally have found out for myself, threw my own experience, that swords fall short in every instance over another weapon. Only sword 2 spark cannot be replaced.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    You only get the skills that you need from every weapon.
    That's what's makes you strong lol
    How does going multiple paths mean you're mediocre in all of them...
    ex. a pole/axe hybrid bm has access to the same equips and skills that a pure pole or axe user has.

Again, PvE. Kthx. You lack in the placement of your Attribute points. The higher they are, the more of an advantage you get. Not including Dex of course, it's just 1%crit every 20 and magic at 5.b:shutup
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Again, PvE. Kthx. You lack in the placement of your Attribute points. The higher they are, the more of an advantage you get. Not including Dex of course, it's just 1%crit every 20 and magic at 5.b:shutup

It's not like hybrid are placing points into magic, we all have the same # of attribute points per level. Axe/Polearm hybrid needs 3 str and 1 dex every level, the other point can go into vit or dex, i really don't see how that puts us at a disadvantage.
    Axe/Polearm hybrid: 5 points every level, 3 str, 1 dex, 1 free
    Sword: 5 points every level, 2.5 Str (unless you wanna go light armor then 2 str), 1.5 Dex, 1 free
    Ignoring the axe vs. sword argument for a sec and looking at axe/polearm hybrid vs. axe
    Axe/Polearm hybrid: 5 points every level, 3 str, 1 dex, 1 free
    Axe: 5 points every level, 3 str, 0.5 dex, 1.5 free
    Really not that much of a difference point wise, and axe/polearm gets the benefit of a larger range of skills.
    Also it's kind of funny that you're so proud of the fact that you're pro at pvp in a game where pvp is more influenced by the equipment that you wear and your stats than your actual skill. If you're good at pvp then props to you, but when your arguments are centered around the fact that you're in a pvp server in a game where pvp is 75% stats and 25% skill it means you really have nothing else to be proud of. In other games where pvp is mostly skill related a lvl 1 can beat a well equipped lvl 40; Perfect World is definitely more pve centered than pvp. Stop acting all high and mighty if you're good at pvp (i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt), it's like saying you're the smartest student at a community college.
  • slim2none
    slim2none Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i use swords at the moment because

i was torn between swords or axes because of the dmg for axes and the speed and accuracy of swords. im only a low level but i like using swords. i have pretty minimal mp usage and deal consistant dmg (very minimal MISS that make me go **** crazy) that after about 10 hits, due to the speed, makes up for the dmg difference of the axes. it does lack decent aoe skills, no denying it, but that depends on your playing style, i prefer to deal higher dmg to individual monsters and kill quickly and efficiently than taking a while to kill mobs with high mp usage and the ultimate sword skill is apparently the highest single dmg skill in the game b:victory.

i also figured that if i was going to go axes... why not just go barb? they are the ones meant for axes i reckon.
  • Theotus - Heavens Tear
    Theotus - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Blademasters are called blademasters for a reason. When you are able to combine a fight with skill in all weapons, you can really stand out as a bm. Most pick a weapon and stick with it, but that isn't the way to go. The fact that all of them have a solid strengh is more than enough proof to show that a blademaster is an all around wonderful class. Enjoy it, and learn to use each abilty in your tree to it's full advantage, because nothing in the tree is useless if used in the right situation. :-)
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Also a Swordmaster here been pure path till LV69. How I have survived so far is thanks to good friend who sold me "Legendary Lunar Cutlass +5" I mean how could you not be Swordmaster when having a sword like that? However it is hardest way to go. It's designed for people who like to fight melee with minimal help of skills. Perfect for me then. and it is expected that you get into the real fix rarely and hopefully have 2 sparks by then to unleash Sword dance.

But people do get bored so I started Axe path. And I love the change- finally when getting into soup like 3 Hydrolaces drowning me together i have something to hit them all back with. And i love it. I'm staying on sword path of course and have TT70 Warrior Blade (bloody expensive thing if you'd ask me) ready. But having an auxiliary skill path is too good thing to say no to. And so what if the damage is less- Swordmasters have high dex so they don't miss plus we deal critical hits more often (and higher level TT swords come with crit+2 and crit+3)

Typical 1 on 1 grinding (all "one man army Q" mobs at my level are mixed magic/physical- AoE grinding them would hurt too much so I do them 1 on 1) at my level means starting off with axes stun skill to cancel it's channeling and hurt him and finishing the mob off with sword.

For Summary: Sword path with +5 sword is doable and far from failure though he's not the strongest. But Sword path together with axe path has proven to be better.

and there's one iron rule- Sword fighter NEVER goes cheap while choosing a weapon. It's hard enough path- no need **** it up with cheap-**** weapon.
  • Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Sword, by no means = fail. Sword is a tough path if it is your only path though. Like what has been said many times over here. BM's have many possible paths. Those paths are each viable in their own ways. But If you really plan to shine, you should study all the paths, you should look at the skills and look at the damage and speed at which each path offers and be flexible enough to pick and choose your direction. I think the only real fail with a BM is someone who insists on following one path, and Poo Poo's all the other paths. Every weapon has its place. Swords just tend to be a very generalized weapon. Nothing special in any aspect of it. But, swords are quick, do decent damage, offer a knock back skill and has a very very nice Ultimate skill.

It would be foolish to discount them, along with any other path.

I know it has been laid out plenty of times before.....But, I think when you look at this, you see why some people say swords suck.

Axes-Heavy Damage, and Mass carnage, due to the multiple AOE's available to them, Stunlock is a huge bonus. Wonderful choice while AOE grinding or for FB mobs, due to the multiple mobs and aggressive behavior

Pole- Ranged attacks, quick and still very nice damage. Great for air battles and water battles, Bleed for mobs that like to run are useful, and can stack with draw blood.

Sword-Not a real stand out, but for general 1v1 fighting, swords can get the job done with minimal skill usage, in a pretty quick fashion.

Fists-Fists, I know draw a lot of opinion both ways, but for Pure DPS, fists are perfect, in situations where you want to pull aggro, fists can do the job quite nicely, and with skills like shadowless kick to cancel spells and cyclone heal to speed your attacks this weapon is really useful when in a squad, fighting a boss.

So,
    Thats all I got. I played a sword BM till I was in my mid 50's, then I switched to a sword/axe hybrid. I tended to rely more on the axes once I started using them but still had plenty of occasions I used swords.

With my current BM, I am building to be able to use any and all paths. I view BM's as toons that need to be flexible and need to be able to survey the situation and use the proper tools to finish the job.

Good luck
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Sword-Not a real stand out, but for general 1v1 fighting, swords can get the job done with minimal skill usage, in a pretty quick fashion.

Actually come to think of it, Swords may be good in economy-wise. While purchasing swords is a pain (my last 2 swords cost close to 1,5 million each) then keeping them is relatively cheap. Since sword path do not offer regular AoE then you do enemies 1 on 1 and you only use per fight alter marrow and perhaps a roar and not bothering to use attack skills. That means you kill quite few mobs before you actually have to "reload" another mana pot. But of course I haven't played dual path long enough to verify it.
  • Averian - Lost City
    Averian - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yeah thats what I do... In face the only skills I use are sutra and marrows and an occasional mana pot to heal my mp. But now currently switching over to axe/sword with sword as secondary weapon. I love hybrids
  • Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Personally, when I go swords (illusive lunar cutlass +2, and loved it) I never used attack skills, unless I was getting pinched by a second mob or needed to finish off the one quickly. Mostly relied on my marrows and my sutra and just normal attacked the mobs till death.

My build now, is gonna rely on me being a little more inventive I think, not sure yet because still only level 23, but due to the attribute requirements I need to be able to carry all weapons, it really leaves nothing left for me to dump into VIT. I may, at some point, pull back on the DEX and dump some into VIT, and just carry a lower level set of fists, but I have not really decided yet.

Not that, that part has anything to do with the thread...Just thinking out loud
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • Pucker - Dreamweaver
    Pucker - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    No weapon is a failure ... If you suck at using that weapon then that's fail... Everything depends on how you use your character in PvE or PvP.. (It also depends on your buildb:chuckle)
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    BTW, its really badass when my toon hits with the sword, then does a back hook kick (when I swith to fists) then return to another sword hit (when I switch to sword again lol).

BTW, just curios if anyone has a use for mage bane? I'm thinking to combine it with shadowless kick.

I mean, the magic attack cycle from mobs is very close to the cooldown of shadowless kick. Therefore, you cant use it to block the next mag attack.

Saying that, if mage bane its applied a bit before the next attack, this will increase the casting time of the mob, making more viable to use shadowless kick again to block that attack.

I have not tried, I always forget it and besides, not sure if using spark is worth it (I;m better with drake bash since it will stunt and do the same effect).

but what about if mage bane works on bosses (drake bash does not stunt bosses)? Again you could increase casting time to make shadowless kick to block the next attack.