Are Wizards good for anything? (my rant)

Clara - Lost City
Clara - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Wizard
Just wondering because I am starting to feel out of place.

-Everyone seems to do more damage than me, Im starting to wonder why they even put Wizards in this game in the first place because a Veno with a phoenix and Archers do more damage than wizards so its completely pointless. Nobody wants them.

-U cant even do as much damage during a boss because you are forced to play it safe so other non wizzie DD's will be doing more damage overall to the boss anyway.

I played almost all the classes but I found Wizard to be my favorite despite all these setbacks.

Blademaster- not for me, i dont like fighting up close
Wizard- favorite
Archer- I have to buy my arrows!? forget it.
Cleric- As much as I like helping others, it can get a little too demanding at times.
Barbarian- Again, close quarters is not for me.
Venomancers- Leveling pets is a chore (no skill required to PvP if u have phoenix)

So theres my rant.b:bye
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Clara - Lost City on

Comments

• Coldflash - Dreamweaver
    Coldflash - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Just wondering because I am starting to feel out of place.

-Everyone seems to do more damage than me, Im starting to wonder why they even put Wizards in this game in the first place because a Veno with a phoenix and Archers do more damage than wizards so its completely pointless. Nobody wants them.

-U cant even do as much damage during a boss because you are forced to play it safe so other non wizzie DD's will be doing more damage overall to the boss anyway.

I played almost all the classes but I found Wizard to be my favorite despite all these setbacks.

Blademaster- not for me, i dont like fighting up close
    Wizard- favorite
    Archer- I have to buy my arrows!? forget it.
    Cleric- As much as I like helping others, it can get a little too demanding at times.
    Barbarian- Again, close quarters is not for me.
    Venomancers- Leveling pets is a chore (no skill required to PvP if u have phoenix)

So theres my rant.b:bye

What do you mean you're forced to play it safe? Half the time when I'm in a party for anything other than bosses I'm tanking. This could have something to do with alot of barbs on DW sucking, or me telling them to save their chi. Of course yeah if you aren't LA you can't tank mobs worth **** so yeah...I have never had an issue with damage, especailly now that I have Undine Strike, though at your lvl since you are approaching, but haven't hit, sage/demon your gush/pyro/stone rain is doing terrible damage compared to the mob's hp, but i'm suspecting if you tough it out a few more levels you will get a nice damage boost assuming you have the 3 mil spirit to upgrade your gush/pyro/stone rain as soon as you go sage/demon.

I love this class and would never change, and I am sad I found this class after getting a BM to 74 and a veno to 77 on sanc...
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Sure this class has setbacks, but it's the most fun to play IMO.

Wizard-Skill and patience, constantly in danger of dying if you **** up and pretty clear cut builds.
    BM-Again requires alot of skill to play and build it. Playing this I felt it never really excelled at anything and CQC isn't my style.
    Archer-Haven't played this one, but apparently it's similar to wiz(In terms of role and complaining about class suckery).
    Cleric-Helping others? Ewww. Lol, I really should try this class.
    Barbarian-Played for a day or two, just doesn't seem fun at all.
    Venomancer-Buy a magmite, then leave your brain at the door. Mindnumbingly easy to play, veno itself is a nerfed wiz with spammable skills-Pet is a mediocre tank. Combined it feels like your not even playing a game, just going through the motions.

Also, seriously, in every boss battle your goal is to pull aggro just for the hell of it. Also Wiz's are great at tanking lower level bosses.

P.S- Anyone know what level+stats you should safely tank Manta at, I'm guessing level 70 with +hp shards and water shield. Because the party I did it with, a level 65 wiz tanked it while a 75 cleric healed and they did perfectly well.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Coldflash - Dreamweaver
    Coldflash - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Sure this class has setbacks, but it's the most fun to play IMO.

Wizard-Skill and patience, constantly in danger of dying if you **** up and pretty clear cut builds.
    BM-Again requires alot of skill to play and build it. Playing this I felt it never really excelled at anything and CQC isn't my style.
    Archer-Haven't played this one, but apparently it's similar to wiz(In terms of role and complaining about class suckery).
    Cleric-Helping others? Ewww. Lol, I really should try this class.
    Barbarian-Played for a day or two, just doesn't seem fun at all.
    Venomancer-Buy a magmite, then leave your brain at the door. Mindnumbingly easy to play, veno itself is a nerfed wiz with spammable skills-Pet is a mediocre tank. Combined it feels like your not even playing a game, just going through the motions.

Also, seriously, in every boss battle your goal is to pull aggro just for the hell of it. Also Wiz's are great at tanking lower level bosses.

P.S- Anyone know what level+stats you should safely tank Manta at, I'm guessing level 70 with +hp shards and water shield. Because the party I did it with, a level 65 wiz tanked it while a 75 cleric healed and they did perfectly well.

First off, I don't think anyone complains about archers, unless by complain you mean QQ about being killed by one b:chuckle

As for manta I soloed him at like 70 or something like that with LA and jiaozis (jolly event hp food), and by solo I mean completely alone, no cleric to purify or anything. I would assume with good gear a lvl 60 pure could do the same, especially if they got like a bunch of single resist water gear b:laugh, though a cleric is very helpful. Basically with manta the trick is to have your water shell maxed and don't use anything but pyro and gush, everything else gets interrupted too fast. I wouldn't reccomend going without a cleric unless you don't mind wasting money. I can actually do it solo using just lvl 60 pots and charm now, and I do it for people as long as they follow my rules of not attacking.
  • missqq
    missqq Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wizards r pro at getting one-shotted.
    edited May 2009
    lol, I thought that was the case just when I heard it I was like:

"Wizard?....Tank?.....Me?.....Argh!!!!"

Guess I might have to get used to it.

Also that whole archer complaining thing, their boards were full of it recently.

@Missqq, Damn right we are, no one can take that 1 hit as good as me.

• Pirodar - Sanctuary
    Pirodar - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The fact that You are wondering speaks for itself. I am too and I don't think we will ever know. It seems like they designed the game with venos and elves, and then decided that humans should be in it too, so they did BMs. Then someone came, looked at it and said Humans need second class, add something, anything. And they did without giving it a single thought.

The experience is strange. Playing this class is both fun and frustrating. At first it's much more interesting than in some other games, where wizards can't do anything other than nuke. WotP, FoW, Distance Shrink give a new experience. But if you overdose it's not good. At first you are happy. You feel like you have real skill. You are squishy, yet you can manage. Kite, knock back, seal. But it feels good first time, second time, ok, tenth time. And You get the same quest, everybody else did, where you have to kill 40 of them and within 30 mins. And You can't help it but in your head pops a thought WTF? Then You see other classes who can't do Your tricks but they don't need them. And they kill better, faster, easier. WTF? And then You realise Your nukes aren't that strong in comparison, so nobody needs them. In other games it was boring. Nuke nuke nuke. Archers' arrows did more wizardry then you. But those nukes had value. Here Archers' arrows still do more wizardry than You (it probably won't change ever) and your nukes have no value. Cerics are more versatile killers just because they have physical attacks, not to mention their other skills. At 70 You make 3% exp per hour and start wondering if it's you or the game. Venos, BMs and even Clerics do more because they can kill with AoE skills, and we masters of elemental magic (ha ha ha) can't. Well we can, but it requires putting on some armour and nerfing our already less then stellar damage. And it's a pain.

A wizard with the archer's mentality. Not good. :)

There are people who have no idea what's right. Some don't care. But some people just need things to be done right. Tanking bosses? Wizards? DO you fasten screws with a knife or a screwdriver?
  • Aliceliddel - Sanctuary
    Aliceliddel - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    lol I pride myself on being suicidal ingame. By lower level I meant much lower level. Also(using that word too much) I can on occassion outdamage archers. If your getting 3% exp per hour at level 70 somethings not right. Currently in the swamp I'm making at least 10%/hour solo whereas BMs and Barbs are struggling against the magic mobs.

Playing a wiz I feel powerful, capable and independant. No one has to rely on me healing or buffs, I get to play how I want.

Also, other classes using their aoes to kill? not likely. Any wizard worth their salt knows that your aoes aren't for 1-shotting mobs, they are for crippling groups, pulling them to you ready to be WoPed away and picked off 1 by 1.
    edited May 2009
    BTW Accidently posted that on my veno.

• Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Currently in the swamp I'm making at least 10%/hour solo whereas

What mobs do You kill and how many can You kill in one hour?
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Just have level 10 Frost shield 10k+ water defence easy
    anyway by level 60 just about any robed class can tank.

By level 60 a cleric can solo mantavip so yeah.. b:bye
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Tanking bosses? Wizards? DO you fasten screws with a knife or a screwdriver?
    In this game, wizards can be pretty tough, especially on later levels. That is, if built and played correctly. So yeah, they tank. Not only bosses, but other classes as well. And, stop your whining already. Other classes kill more effeciently? When grinding may be. In pvp, no. Nothing can compare with sutra's spike damage.
    missqq wrote: »
    The last time i was 1-shotted was on 3X. Still pretty squishy though, 8X phoenix kills me like in 10 seconds b:sad
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Other classes kill more effeciently? When grinding may be.

And that's the point.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2009

did manta few hours ago with a 69 cleric. just the 2 of us cause the veno we were killing it for just stayed out of range.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Whiteleo - Lost City
    Whiteleo - Lost City Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i feel the same as u
    well, finally i m 59 and got all the skill i should have
    Mana Shield max, Pyrogram max,Gush max, Stone Rain max,
    and sutra, dragon and mountain
    i should be happy.
    but when i buy new skill , i feel like i want to die.
    all are 2 spark, how can i use all that spell?
    and channeling time b:surrender
    i duel some with my 59 skill and i still lost
    (all are 5 lvl below me)
    ofcourse i don't have chi in some duel
    i will be very please PWI if they make Dragon or Mountain with mana (not with spark)
    please
    i feel like im useless at all
    im serious.
    please GMb:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    59 is irelevant, u get the spells but u still have a **** weapon.
    Get the lvl 60 TT weapon (a 2 socked Arbor, refine it to +3) and duel the same guys after that. If u will have probs with archers/clerics 5 lvl below u, then as they say in racing, the problem is between the driving wheel and the engine.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i feel the same as u
    well, finally i m 59 and got all the skill i should have
    Mana Shield max, Pyrogram max,Gush max, Stone Rain max,
    and sutra, dragon and mountain
    i should be happy.
    but when i buy new skill , i feel like i want to die.
    all are 2 spark, how can i use all that spell?
    and channeling time b:surrender
    i duel some with my 59 skill and i still lost
    (all are 5 lvl below me)
    ofcourse i don't have chi in some duel
    i will be very please PWI if they make Dragon or Mountain with mana (not with spark)
    please
    i feel like im useless at all
    im serious.
    please GMb:sad

You need to learn your skills some before getting into a duel. Also note that wizzy's are not really set for duels. Skill choice is key, are you dueling a mb\barb\cleric\wiz\archer\veno? If you've got force of will, use it then drop an ulti (tailored to thier class) or use an essential sutra with a good selection of spells. See how each class reacts to each one. Get a punching bag to test it out with you.
  • Clara - Lost City
    Clara - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I love how everyone has an advantage against this class ><

Blademasters and Barbarians can stun you and take way to many hits.
    And the rest of the classes can use physical and magical attacks while having high def against your attacks.

Hopefully Genies will change this hopefully. (its Genies not 8jis u tards -.-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Hm. correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can see, so far we have just 2 ideas about what wizards are for. Killing other players and tanking. Did I miss something?
  • Biggyluv - Lost City
    Biggyluv - Lost City Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wizards are good for zhen partys to level USEFUL classes and also our flashy animations on our LOWWWWW damage skills. Everyone knows that!
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Wizards are good for zhen partys to level USEFUL classes and also our flashy animations on our LOWWWWW damage skills. Everyone knows that!

Good point, but only armored ones.
  • Jertor - Sanctuary
    Jertor - Sanctuary Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    missqq wrote: »

umm yeah i dont get 1 shotte unless its by a lvl 90+ >.>
  • Cheaper - Heavens Tear
    Cheaper - Heavens Tear Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    they are good for clearing the field with blade tempest in TW
    omg im posting stuff.
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    they are good for clearing the field with blade tempest in TW

Yes. That's what they say. But we have that one covered by "killing other players", which seemed more general to me
  • Uberbein - Heavens Tear
    Uberbein - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I have 36 lvl so it's not that high, but i noticed that from the beginning till now I've got 3 times more money then my archer at same lvl. I dont' have to use arrows nor mp potions, I barely use hp potions and my gear rarely need to be repaired.

Maybe it's too early to say, but as for me it's the first class moneymaker:)
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I have 36 lvl so it's not that high, but i noticed that from the beginning till now I've got 3 times more money then my archer at same lvl. I dont' have to use arrows nor mp potions, I barely use hp potions and my gear rarely need to be repaired.

Maybe it's too early to say, but as for me it's the first class moneymaker:)

That will get corrected at higher lev's >.<' in order to be competitive higher refines are required. MP charms are nesc for grinding too if your going at it hardcore though apoth can help ease the pain
    edited May 2009
    You'll see that money vanish when you get higher, skill costs go up, the price for decent legendary armour is extortionate and zhenning can cost you 145k/hr at the lowest(One eso and 1/3 mp charm).

• Xelea - Heavens Tear
    Xelea - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What are wizards good for? well um..lets see... Spike damage..and thats about it. They suck in everything else because there is always a class that will be better to have in a party beside you... your the bottom of the barrel,the last pick.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    You see, wiz is mostly pvp class. In pve, wiz is the best magical tank and (after 79) good lurer, damage is also very nice but that's all. FoW, distance shrink, sutra, ultimates - all suited for pvp.
    --
  • Xelea - Heavens Tear
    Xelea - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    PVP class my ****.. just about any class can beat a wizard in PK or duels.
    Thats why the Archer class in on the bored for the top PVP class not the Wizard. In fact going on to say that the wizard is a PVP type class is a pile of
    Krixxix shart. Ya sure they MIGHT be able to beat other classes if they catch them off guard... but most class have a skill or two that will be the end for the wizard..b:angryb:angryb:angryb:a
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    BS. I've dueled on 42 with 45 barb. Lost, but barb was at 5% hp, so you can call it a draw lol. Also, i've dueled on 53 with archer of unknown lvl but with 42 legendary slingshot (i used 43 wheel of fate). Won 9 times of 10. Also, after these duels i was attacked by archer with 60hh crossbow. Archer run into sz almost dead.
    --
This discussion has been closed.