Comment in Skin Color

Options
saidje
saidje Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Sorry but I felt the need to comment before someone reading the forums misunderstands and start reporting game chars with dark colored skin because of the thread at

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=176572

where it was said;
(I see more players having a pure black skin lately, which is not possible to get in the normal character creator aka the color picker.)

Not saying it's happened, but hey, folks get twitchy over the oddest things.

I have a char with extremely dark skin - all the way in the corner of the purple band. I read some of the forums before I created her and decided she would go Hell - therefore the dark skin totally fits the char and her name.

I would have loved black skin closer to true black - no idea why black skin is not available.

I know there are transparency issues with true black and true white, but there are other blacks besides #000000. Well I guess it would be odd with a flat black char with no contours (light and shadow) - too strange maybe.

But my char isn't true black and neither are any of the darker chars I've been running into recently. I've seen some almost black browns, reds and greens. But no true flat black.

So - excitable folks - take a good look before reporting "so-and-so had black skin so must be bannable" - eh?

Thank you
Saidje
Saidje
Having a high post count doesn't make you anything in the game.
Unless you're attempting to kiss up to a GM and you KNOW what that makes you
. :D
Post edited by saidje on

Comments

• Cerasus - Heavens Tear
    Cerasus - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I'm afraid most people are too quick to click the "Report Player" button before ascertaining the validity of the situation.

I myself have a similar character of a dark skin tone (only in my case it's the black-blue corner of the color square). Makes me a bit concerned: being falsely accused for hacking the next time I play on it...

Makes me consider the idea of getting a Makeover Scroll.

However, should such accusations come to pass upon myself or any other player who's created a character of the similar nature within the character customization's normal parameters, I have full confidence that the GMs will inspect the case closely enough before bringing down the ban-hammer.

...Right? b:surrender
  • tekyo
    tekyo Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I didn't ment to accuse anyone, it's just I saw someone so black, not wanna be a racsist or anything but it was scary to see that pitchblack.
    I also saw a female muscled girl running in the City of Lost today. Was kinda funny. Huge chest, Big arms... Hilarious. Next thing we noticed her, he logged off.

We all should know, doing changes like this will get you banned.

Though the pitchblack person that I saw today could just have found a way to pick the black color my clicking all the way in the corner of the color picker.

Use optical zoom and see if you can manage to click into the corner :)
  • Twilyte - Heavens Tear
    Twilyte - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I have a very dark colored character (actually several...hence the names...Twilyte...Midnyte...).

When making my characters, I have always liked the drow look (although I use a blue hair color because the pure white haired drow is over-done). Some players ask me how I get my skin so dark and I let them know I just chose the lower left corner (I think that is the correct corner from memory, it's the blue corner).

If you have no hair, you can see a blueish tint in the highlights, but that is one of the reasons why I chose blue hair as it camouflages the subtle hue, thus making the skin look darker.

I am sure there are inappropriate colors out there obtained through .ini editting (the ultra bright red hair is a one I have heard of), but be careful before reporting people just because something looks different than what you think can be done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I am sure there are inappropriate colors out there obtained through .ini editting (the ultra bright red hair is a one I have heard of), but be careful before reporting people just because something looks different than what you think can be done.

I posted on the bright red hair thread. My character has vividly bright red hair, and it was gotten naturally from picking the hair color map. I even veified it again before posting on that thread. I think people just havent been able to find that right spot to get the truest bright red and therefore think it must be a **** when they see others who were able to. This issue with dark skin is the same as well.
  • Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    you mean like the neon red glowing hair?

no it's not a ****
    it's actually something put into the game
    as one of the presets for the venomancer in character creation

as for the dark colored skin
    if you go to the i beleive the bottom left corner of the colors
    which i beleive is the blue corner
    you can achieve a very dark blue
    which unless zoomed in on the character and squinted at
    you can't even tell it's not black

so no not hacks
    besides what would be the point of hacking to get a complete black skin
    when most players can't tell the difference(nor care)
    anyways
  • Coviana - Sanctuary
    Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Seems that a lot of people in this game are too quick to cry '****! cheat! bug! exploit!' about anything they see and either don't like or don't understand. So far, from what i've seen, it seems that the GM's are doing an excellent job in taking these reports with a grain of salt, and properly investigating before dropping the ban hammer; sometimes this means that it takes a little bit longer for those who really are cheating to be stopped, but imo that's far better than innocent people getting banned on the basis of false accusations.

I still wish there were a way in-game to make an inquiry about something or someone suspicious; as it stands now, the only choices are either to tab out (or exit the game) to submit a ticket, and wait the 1-2 business days for a response, or else make a direct accusation (for which the only option even there is 'Report hacking'). Since there are still plenty of hardware configurations out there that choke on alt-tab when you try to return to the game, submitting a ticket on the website is not always a viable option when one is trying to play the game - so Report Hacking is the most frequent answer to any questionable activities one witnesses.
  • Purple - Lost City
    Purple - Lost City Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    GMs on MY-EN let the fat pandas, and pure red fox people run wild. I'm happy to see active GMs on LC. ^^;

Although the fat panda is cute in 9x heavy amor with pure grade 8 HP stones.

Fat Tesla coils weilding axes much smaller than them.
    Wall sniping, ninja tree magic, and medium range artillery. Whine less, please. b:lipcurl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Players here sure do enjoy pissing in their neighbor's beer.

Note that due to some glitch in the human eye, deep-dark-blue actually appears blacker than black. That's why in printing we always mix around 5-10% of black or cyan with black to produce a vivid black. So any char clicking in the lower left corner will appear pure black.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tekyo
    tekyo Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Yeah, lets not report people so quick cause it might be possible we don't understand all about the character creator and its sliders b:pleased

screenshot12qy2.jpg
  • Twilyte - Heavens Tear
    Twilyte - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I posted on the bright red hair thread. My character has vividly bright red hair, and it was gotten naturally from picking the hair color map. I even veified it again before posting on that thread. I think people just havent been able to find that right spot to get the truest bright red and therefore think it must be a **** when they see others who were able to. This issue with dark skin is the same as well.

I know there is a very nice bright red color obtainable through normal means, but there are shades that are not obtainable unless one manipulates the color range numbers in the .ini.

Perhaps pointing out the red color as an example wasn't the best choice since it falls under the same catagory as the black. But if you saw the illegal pure black next to, let's say, the blue-black, there is an obvious and dramatic difference. The same goes for the illegal red versus even the brightest legal red.

Sadly, it takes an experienced eye to even make a well educated guess as to whether certain hues in game are legit or not, yet many feel compelled to report people based on their opinion rather than fact or knowledge.

The thing I don't understand is why the people out there actually alter their characters looks beyond the normal range. I mean, character customization in this game is one of the strongest points, with almost limitless variations within the legal range (expect for the barbs...they are rather limited by comparison). I think some do it just to prove they can do it, or to show off, or just simply not follow the rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Frankly, as long as it doesn't give them an advantage ( stick-men being very hard to clic and to spot giving them first strike in PvP or PK ) or make them a hassle ( overly fat characters blocking your sight ) I couldn't care less if they're yellow like Bart Simpson.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bunnyhunny
    bunnyhunny Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    i'm sad i cant get a solid color for skin tone. I'v been wanting to make Smurfette. b:chuckle
  • Mayacamus - Heavens Tear
    Mayacamus - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Damn, I didn't even know this was an issue for some.

My char has both black skin and red hair. lol
    Both picked through color picker.
  • Roojie - Lost City
    Roojie - Lost City Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Huh. I didn't know it was an issue either. The males can't have as brightly colored eyes as the females and it drives me nuts. I can't give my character the glassy blue eyes he's supposed to have. -____- Why would they make it like that?
    I have a veno with blue black skin, haven't had anyone rag on me for it. And if they did I'd be chatting at support staff for their false reporting. :P
    Why is color changing such ahuge issue? Why don't they just make al the colors in the game avalible and save EVERYONE the trouble? Lame...
  • Xenaaah - Heavens Tear
    Xenaaah - Heavens Tear Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Waiting to see a **** of someone as Mr. Frodo.b:laugh
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Waiting to see a **** of someone as Mr. Frodo.b:laugh
    Yea, this relevant comment is well worth necroing a thread
This discussion has been closed.