Touche Players

Sekaya - Sanctuary
Sekaya - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
What is with so many touchy players in game? I and a guildie were just helping this guy get his dismal shade. A Veno was ahead in the line with her group. We were content to wait. When she started killing him I just added the odd shot (normal attack) to help out and speed it along, and she flipped out on me about KSing. I'm sorry, but whoever she was running still got the quest, and I was being careful to do no such thing. Not even a word to the cleric to thank him for the buffs and free healing.

On the contrary, I know so many players in game are friendly and helpful, but why are so many so paranoid? It definitely puts a damper on things. Yet I know there will always be these types. Sadly.
Post edited by Sekaya - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Mr_jingle - Sanctuary
    Mr_jingle - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I suppose she thought you was going to keep hitting the boss like that just to annoy her which you clearly didn't but there will be people like that and I can understand somewhat. I have made the mistake of clicking on mobs many times that were not even being attacked at that moment that suddenly came under attack before I got to it and therefore I am a KSer. b:surrender Surely I could have simply clicked somewhere else to cancel the attack which I did but Jingle turned around and still attacked the mob... b:shocked I clicked next to the mob after clicking on it several times previously so I guess all those commands didn't cancel out. This may not be like your situation but lord that barb I KSed like I mentioned here when I was playing yesterday got so upset over it...
  • Lolas - Heavens Tear
    Lolas - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I don't understand it either. Just one hit by your pet and you can usually expect to get cussed at. People don't realize that sending a pet is almost like a ranged shot. Once sent its really hard to get them to return, quickly anyway.

But there are still a few people out there that understand that accidents can happen. I had a pleasant experience with this last night. I'm leveling my phoenix. So I'm fighting really easy mobs, and a bunch of them. When doing that Its easy to lose concentration. I sent pet in and was talking to my wife(yea I'm a guy) When I looked back the mob was dead, and someone else was looting. Meaning he obviously hit first. I cringed just knowing that I was going to get cussed out, reported for ks, etc.

I quickly apologized, and the character(wish I could remember his name) said no problem. Over the next hour we each accidently hit the others mob a few times. Neither of us got mad, in fact we were joking about it. Because we both new that with the delay between the original attack and the hit. Its really hard to time correctly.

People just need to relax. Someone hitting your mob occasionaly isn't a big deal. Its only a problem if they repeatedly do it, after being asked not to. Or follow you arround to do it. But then its not really a kS issue, but a harrassment issue.
  • SilverTease - Heavens Tear
    SilverTease - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I had the same problem with a party killing some boss for Wraith's Ploy quest thing... They were at the boss before me and my party, they had serious DDs in team, but i wanted to help out so they kill it faster and i don't have to wait too long. So, i switched to fox to debuff the boss (casting amplify damage which does no damage at all) and they all started to yell at me to stop KSing cause i don't have a chance at it. Tried to explain that i was actually helping, but i was still being yelled at...

I usually do this when i see a party killing a boss, passing sparks and cast deflect on tanker, amplify on boss, but so far i got like 2 or 3 "thanks", some ignores and lots of "fk off you damn ks'er" b:sweat

Whats wrong with people these days ??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Attitude Marshal ~
    b:pleased I love my Neph b:pleased
  • Defected - Heavens Tear
    Defected - Heavens Tear Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    PW is serious business. People are selfish and don't like to share the world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Changed my mind. Permanently Retired - Only here to troll.
  • Kristiona - Heavens Tear
    Kristiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have acidently sent my pet on a mob to then notice it had taken some damage. If my pet don't come back I just un-summon it problem solved pretty easy.

kristiona
  • Lolas - Heavens Tear
    Lolas - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have acidently sent my pet on a mob to then notice it had taken some damage. If my pet don't come back I just un-summon it problem solved pretty easy.

kristiona

yea. problem solved. except more often than not, you will hit at least once in that time. And that is all it takes, to set off the hysterics.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If a player comes within 50 miles of the monster I'm about to kill I yell at them to stay away so they don't steal my kills!b:angry b:laugh

Really though I do see why people act like this. With people like Enrage around, its expected that everyone be paranoid about ksing.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Ammerex - Lost City
    Ammerex - Lost City Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well, I'm a veno, and one time I was soloing the boss for a friend, but then a group of lower levels came in, and started hitting the boss.
    I warned them to back off, that it's an aoe boss, but they just all mobbed it and kept hitting it over and over. =\
    They got mad at me and pretty much told me to f' off, they needed it, they can ks if they want. =\
    Well... aoe time came around, and they all died. xD
    Then THEY got mad at ME.
    Saying I let the boss go, and had it attack them. =\
    ever since them I'm paranoid.xD
    So yeah.xD
    Now when I see them coming in the room, I start yelling to stay back for a minute, and no ks if they get close. =o
    I can see how it would seem rude to first time goes, but yeah.xD
    That's my story.=P
  • Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    What is with so many touchy players in game? I and a guildie were just helping this guy get his dismal shade. A Veno was ahead in the line with her group. We were content to wait. When she started killing him I just added the odd shot (normal attack) to help out and speed it along, and she flipped out on me about KSing. I'm sorry, but whoever she was running still got the quest, and I was being careful to do no such thing. Not even a word to the cleric to thank him for the buffs and free healing.

On the contrary, I know so many players in game are friendly and helpful, but why are so many so paranoid? It definitely puts a damper on things. Yet I know there will always be these types. Sadly.

It is very hard to keep track of everything flying around in battle so it is hard to tell rather or not you tried to KS and they just managed to get the kill or you stopped short and were supposedly helping.

However, I for one get sick and tired of high level people who think they own bosses. If I do not want your help, I DO NOT WANT IT. I do not NEED your help. Go away, I can handle myself thank you very much. I have KS'd higher level people repeatedly on Bosses for lower players because they could not get off their high horse long enough to realize that maaaybe we did not WANT their help and maaaybe we needed to get that boss killed as well. As a result I have become VERY skilled at KSing tough monsters out from under high level players.

That said I am very open to waiting my turn but when it comes up and you interfere expect to fail and catch flak for it.
  • Aniello - Harshlands
    Aniello - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Then again the delay in attacks -> hits doesn't help.

I always hit esc when I come up on a monster that just got attacked before I could just so that I don't anger anyone because American gamers are well you knowb:dirty
  • bzbee
    bzbee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009

In all fairness, I don't think the problem is with the player being touchy.

1. If you were content to wait, why were you trying to 'speed it along'?

2. If she didn't ask for your help and didn't appear to need your help, why were you 'helping'?

Try to put yourself in her shoes. She wouldn't know how much damage you were dealing or what kind of attack you were using, so probably thought you might end up with the credit for the kill instead of her and she would have to do it again.

Yes, she could have thanked the cleric for the buffs/heals but if she thought you were trying to steal the kill, I seriously doubt that was a consideration for her at that time.
    Phoenix plume count: 2450 b:sad

I want the phoenix because I think its pretty. b:cute
  • Tigriss - Heavens Tear
    Tigriss - Heavens Tear Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I've never got yelled at. I alway pull my pet back and immediately apologize if someone get to it b4 I do. Or I apologize after I type you stubborn ****ing pet STOP. Sometime pets refuse to stop.
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Crystalynnex
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Then again the delay in attacks -> hits doesn't help.

I always hit esc when I come up on a monster that just got attacked before I could just so that I don't anger anyone because American gamers are well you knowb:dirty

Please, continue, we American gamers are what? b:puzzled

Rule of thumb: if assistance isn't requested, don't interfere unless the other player looks like they aren't going to make it without any. Reason being that they might be looking for the challenge of taking a mob solo that might be just a hair more than they can take.

If you do give assistance when none seems to be needed, and they ask you to stop, then respect their wishes and stop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Huyidao - Heavens Tear
    Huyidao - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Sometimes people also don't realize that you hitting the mini-boss once or twice would not result in kill-stealing. To be on the safe side, my friends and I also tell them "we're just speeding up the kill, our damage won't result in a ks" when we try to do anything.
    Sagacious Guild - Heaven's Tear
    Forums: z3.invisionfree.com/Sagacious/index.php?act=idx
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2009

LOL there will always be rude players.
    Cant do much about em
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ratinax - Sanctuary
    Ratinax - Sanctuary Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2009

its kinda funny cuz if they get halfway through the fight, and then you kill it, they get the credit. So its kinda funny when they spazz about it XP

My issue with ksers when I have my pet tanking without me attacking: Moment they hit it, recall my pet so it agros them. If they're too weak, they die. If they can tank it but still suck in damage, sick my pet on it and attack it. Least I have someone else losing hp that time :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    Xoria - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Too many people get too involved in the game and are easily upset at KSing. There's only been one time I've purposely KS'd and "yelled" at for it:

When oracles were released in charm packs.

This poor low level player needed spider king for DQ quest and these jerks were just killing the mob over and over again without giving turns. After litereally waiting there 20 minutes and watching this stupidity, I squaded her, telling her "just sit back and let me do the work."

Spider spawns. I Wield Thunder (crit and they had hit first) so it ended up being a pretty much one-hit-kill. She got the credit though. The others yelled at me and I just wound up telling them "Share or shut up. You're stupidly hogging a 1 spawn boss."

Things like that, other players should be mindful as well, but end up flat out ignoring it.
    [In a distorted place and time][The knife that stabbed me in the back grants me wings]
    [I keep looking to the sky][In order to flee from the memories]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [The world that expands inside of your arms is][///the last secret garden///]
    [If you've already forgotten me, don't forget...]
    [The things that we once embraced]
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    at bosses if i feel like helping a squad already there i usually send an invite to their squad. if they deny then i dont do anything.

i had a case of ppl taking ksing too seriously at a bloody wraith spawn. this guy pm'd me demanding 2k for every mob he supposedly tanked while i shot at. then he threatened to submit a ticket for griefing. freaking loser...those ppl are just as greedy cuz otherwise they'd squad, not to mention i had best performance on anyways. my squad that time made about 70k each on wraith drops (minus the tags, celestones), so its not even that squadding would be much of a disadvantage

quests/grinds are one thing, wraiths spawns are another. everyone's there for the money, theres like 5 players for each wraiths spawn. dont like ks? dont show up.
  • Terail - Sanctuary
    Terail - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Why don't the dev's take a page out of Final Fantasy XI and just put in a claim system? That would solve all the issues. The first person to hit the mob "claims" that mob, and only people in their squad can attack it. If it loses aggro on the entire squad, whether they die, run too far away, whatever, then it's up for grabs again.
  • mbrunestud
    edited March 2009
    i believe we've gone over this on another thread. archers would claim every mob they seek to fight b/c they have range and their attacks would be faster than any magic class trying to channel anything
    edited March 2009
    mbrunestud wrote: »
    << archer

i believe we've gone over this on another thread. archers would claim every mob they seek to fight b/c they have range and their attacks would be faster than any magic class trying to channel anything

Hardly.

Then everyone would start carrying level 1 bows and wolf fang arrows around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mbrunestud
    edited March 2009
    really? everyone else gets 30m range w/ the bow?

lvl 10 winged blessing + knockback, gl gl. i really wouldn't mind if that gets implemented, btw
    edited March 2009
    really? everyone else gets 30m range w/ the bow?

Doesn't matter.

You implied that because archers use ranged weapons, they automatically win.

They don't. Anyone can use a bow.

lvl 10 winged blessing + knockback, gl gl.

I see, the ninja edit which has nothing to do with anything.

Fail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Terail - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Maybe I should clear what I said up. It's not the first person to hit the mob, it's the first person to get hate on the mob. Whether it's a direct attack, a class ability, or a spell, whoever initiates first contact with the mob claims it. As long as every class has some sort of fast claiming ability, it would be no issue.
  • mbrunestud
    edited March 2009
    it has nothing to do with anything? it means you can prevent someone from reaching a mob, lvl 1 bow or not. claims system would shaft a lot of classes (more like every other class) while not really affecting archers.

fine fine, archers would win b/c they have *more* range.
    edited March 2009
    it has nothing to do with anything? it means you can prevent someone from reaching a mob, lvl 1 bow or not. claims system would shaft a lot of classes (more like every other class) while not really affecting archers.

fine fine, archers would win b/c they have *more* range.

Since when are all mobs always 30 yards away?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Terail - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    So, to offset the added range they have, give melee classes some type of instant cast ability. In FFXI, Warriors had the Provoke ability, which only had about half the range of an Archer, but was an instant use ability. This usually gave them enough time to run in and claim. Come to think of it, I've never actually seen an Archer claim a boss in FFXI... DD jobs with Provoke > Mage classes with fast casting spells > Archers with useless abilities and long attack delays xD It's not exactly rocket science to pull this off.
  • mbrunestud
    edited March 2009
    sure, if mobs were close to each other it wouldn't make a difference, and if they were abundant enough at a grind spot people would avoid ksing altogether. considering 2 people going for the same mob some distance away (say its that treerat) then archers have the advantage at 20m or more, how about that?

also, some classes would absolutely get shafted attempting that. starting off a mob with a lvl 1 bow attack is almost guaranteeing taking an extra hit or two for the petless casters

@Terail
    well keep in mind most people (on sanct anyway) generally dont ks in this game, most of the time. the OP's topic revealed she had no intention to ks, and it was people overreacting over it being the issue. on mobs squadding with other would eliminate the issue, and there's usually enough mobs where you dont need to ks. if someone's following another person around deliberately ksing while there are other mobs of the same type around, then its probably reportable for harassment.

i just saw wraiths spawns as a kind of competition since the event is optional and there are so many people and relatively few wraiths.
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    PW is serious business. People are selfish and don't like to share the world.

No way? Don't tell me Heaven's Tear is like that too?
    edited March 2009
    sure, if mobs were close to each other it wouldn't make a difference, and if they were abundant enough at a grind spot people would avoid ksing altogether. considering 2 people going for the same mob some distance away (say its that treerat) then archers have the advantage at 20m or more, how about that?

Actually, you're wrong: people will still KS each other even if mobs are overly abundant, and they won't necessarily try to avoid KSing each other.

Also, where are these mobs that have so few spawns and are so far apart that no one would ever stand a chance of tagging one with an archer there?

also, some classes would absolutely get shafted attempting that. starting off a mob with a lvl 1 bow attack is almost guaranteeing taking an extra hit or two for the petless casters

Dude, seriously, it's not that hard to pull off.

Equip bow, attack, move. While moving equip normal weapon, start casting.

Is it ideal? No, but is it doable? Yes, but I always preferred starting with the earth spell that slowed and had a DoT effect. (Fire/Earth mage on Delphi)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]