New Dye System

Options
aletern
aletern Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Suggestion Box
I believe that the gaming developers should start working on a new dye system instead of random grab bags of color dyes that nobody wants. I want to start a petition or at least a general idea of what new dye systems could be implemented.

System One:
The boutique sells dyes individually instead of making every dye random to obtain. They can still be obtained randomly, but there should be a seperate list of dyes on the side that people can buy individually.

System Two:
Selling "Universal Dye", in other words dyes that yes, are pricier, but when used on clothing open a color scheme list in which people can preview and dye their items. Much like the color layout used to customize characters when they are first made.

Some food for thought.
Post edited by aletern on

Comments

• Sylvini - Heavens Tear
    Sylvini - Heavens Tear Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I think system one would work much better. If there's a 'universal dye' color, it only works for the boutique purchasers. In-game, except for the random pigment, all the dyes are set, so no chance.
  • jalenstar4ever
    jalenstar4ever Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I support your petition.

If only because it is plain unfair to want a specific color dye, yet be forced to buy a random dye or pack of dyes that will not produce the color you wanted in the first place. In other words, spending money for something we do not want or need.

My suggestion is really quite simple?

How about the option of simply letting people buy what they want and/or need?

I would not even be opposed to having to pay more for certain color dyes, such as red, black and white, so long as I could buy the one specific color I want. They could even sell packs with solid colors, for those who need several same color dyes for one outfit, or random colors for a variety pack. But to be forced to buy random packs of 10 dyes, and still not get the color we want is just depressing and bad business.
  • Sentha - Heavens Tear
    Sentha - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I support your petition.

If only because it is plain unfair to want a specific color dye, yet be forced to buy a random dye or pack of dyes that will not produce the color you wanted in the first place. In other words, spending money for something we do not want or need.

My suggestion is really quite simple?

How about the option of simply letting people buy what they want and/or need?

I would not even be opposed to having to pay more for certain color dyes, such as red, black and white, so long as I could buy the one specific color I want. They could even sell packs with solid colors, for those who need several same color dyes for one outfit, or random colors for a variety pack. But to be forced to buy random packs of 10 dyes, and still not get the color we want is just depressing and bad business.

Totally signed and therefor SUPPORTED!
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Signed!

I wasted 40 dollars trying to dye my helmsey the same color!

And it was all on the boots!

Ended up just going with the Purple/Grey color =\
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The dye system is a huge money making scheme. I'd say it works well.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • balthazar
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The dye system is a huge money making scheme. I'd say it works well.

It works well for them.

Not for us.

I mean its good for like Robe of the Long where it costs like 6 dye, but not for Helmsey, etc.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Agreed...signed...wholeheartedly!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Daialura - Heavens Tear
    Daialura - Heavens Tear Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Signed! As far as being a money making scheme, I know I'd spend a LOT more money on dyes if I knew what I was going to get... Right now I don't spend any except for the few I bought off another player for what I'm wearing... I've got 6 or more fashion pieces just sitting in my bank with no immediate thoughts of dying them because of the randomness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Signed! As far as being a money making scheme, I know I'd spend a LOT more money on dyes if I knew what I was going to get... Right now I don't spend any except for the few I bought off another player for what I'm wearing... I've got 6 or more fashion pieces just sitting in my bank with no immediate thoughts of dying them because of the randomness.

No, you'd just buy the colors you want and be done with it. As long as the dyes are random, you buy, and buy, and buy, and buy until you get the colors you want.
    Main characters
  • Horseman - Sanctuary
    Horseman - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    No, you'd just buy the colors you want and be done with it. As long as the dyes are random, you buy, and buy, and buy, and buy until you get the colors you want.

Didnt she just say she WONT be buying because its random? Therefore your assertion that she will spend more money under the random scheme is incorrect.
  • saidje
    saidje Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

No, you're not really thinking with this.

How many times a year would people re-dye their fav outfits for the
    holidays, etc.?

Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, St. Paddy's, Easter, patriotic days,
    Flag days, their fav team wins the gold/bowl/cup?

How many guilds would choose colors and outfits and get gigged out for
    a TW? Well maybe not, but - maybe.

How many real world couples in-game would match their outfits as
    it suited them?

****, if they let us dye the armor AND sold the single colors in one-shot
    or single color packs I'd be dyeing my armor to suit me. How many times
    am I going to change armor before LV100?

The way I see it they are trying to force a narrow funnel of thought.
    "Well, we sell the santa outfit - we want them to buy that, not dye
    the clothes they bought"

"We want them to buy clothing, not customize their armor"

Well I HATE the clothing and will never buy it. It sucks. I'm a femme
    and I hate the drek they sell for females in the cash shop.

They - the money folks - need to wake up and analyze buying patterns
    here in this country. Anyone who has belonged to the different virtual
    worlds in this country can tell you that people like customization, and
    will pay for customization over and over and over - as long as they get
    what they like and it isn't a stupid process that's so easy to see through.

We like it straightforward. One price for a guaranteed product. Not high
    price for a lottery ticket.

Right now dyes are akin to the lottery - and that sucks.
    Saidje
    Having a high post count doesn't make you anything in the game.
    Unless you're attempting to kiss up to a GM and you KNOW what that makes you
    . :D
  • Daialura - Heavens Tear
    Daialura - Heavens Tear Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

Well, no, like I said, I don't buy any... I buy none. I don't buy even one above what I already have. So... You're right I would just buy the colors I want, but it'd be way more than I'm currently buying, which is none...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
  • balthazar
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ^ all 3 above posts provide an excellent example.

Even if you do buy the Random Dye Pigment (50s)

You'll still get a RANDOM choice of getting 1 Blue or 1 Red

The OP means ACTUALLY buying the 1 Red Pigment from the store for 90 silver, or w/e
  • Miznatt - Lost City
    Miznatt - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I agree with this completely.

So much more money would be spent if players knew what dyes they were getting. Everyone wins b:victory
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    One or 2 people not buying will not change the fact that there are tons and tons of dyes in the game right now from players who did buy them. It would cut sales and they dye market would crash if you could pick what you got from the cash shop.
    Main characters
  • FionaCattail - Sanctuary
    FionaCattail - Sanctuary Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I disagree.. I'm sure there are alot more than 1 or 2 people who don't buy dyes because they don't know what they are getting.. and then you have the fact that even if you buy the current dyes in the hopes of getting a color (like yellow) that you want.. you have a what? 30-40% chance of that color actually being a random?.. doing this would kill the dye market in the cash shops, but if I have to pay 50silver for a random dye, or 1G for a dye whose color I already know.. then I'll pay the 1G every time..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We could all learn a lot from crayons, some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names (like chartreuse), and all are different colors....BUT they ALL exist very nicely in the same box!
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I agree with this completely.

So much more money would be spent if players knew what dyes they were getting. Everyone wins b:victory

Agreed!!!

I dye all of my outfits trying to get a specific color. I can say I have been lucky in that about 75% of the time I get what I want (Black or White). This did however take several attempts. But the Red always eludes me. I have a few colors that people like but I just want to be able to pick the color I want instead of settling.

So, PLEASE, I would buy and dye more clothes if we had an option for colors. You would be able to change whenever you wanted! And for some of us ladies, it would make us very happy....b:cute

SIGNED and SIGNED!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

No, I do not. I have not bought any dyes. My chance of buying one dye which I could use is about 1 chance in 12. (And my chance of buying eight of one color I could use, if I bought 100 dyes, would be something like 1 chance in 50.)

If I did not like my clothes colors, I believe I would trade them and by other clothes. (But I will not be doing this either, because I do not have enough inventory space and because I need my coins for other purposes. But I am level 70, which can be rather embarrassing -- I really, really would like some nice flying gear.)
    edited March 2009
    Options
    just in case I didn't make myself clear in my post..

SIGNED!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We could all learn a lot from crayons, some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names (like chartreuse), and all are different colors....BUT they ALL exist very nicely in the same box!
  • Agravain - Heavens Tear
    Agravain - Heavens Tear Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    You can purchase many pigments of specific color from catshops in west arch. These are obtained by high level players from the dragon temple event (if Im not mistaken). Because of their scarcity they are valued at 50k+ each. If the boutique were to offer a similar feature it would likely be priced to match - 50 silver or more, but don't hold your breath.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Polyhymnia - Heavens Tear
    Polyhymnia - Heavens Tear Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    You can purchase many pigments of specific color from catshops in west arch. These are obtained by high level players from the dragon temple event (if Im not mistaken). Because of their scarcity they are valued at 50k+ each. If the boutique were to offer a similar feature it would likely be priced to match - 50 silver or more, but don't hold your breath.
    Yeah, 50 silver seems like a good guess. What would they call such an item? Well, everything in this game seems to come in packs (charm pack, battle pet pack, etc), so lets call it a color pack. But wait, that's not exciting enough. We'll call it a HOT color pack.

Now go petition to make PWI add HOT COLOR PACKs to the cash shop!
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I thought the cat shop dyes were from the cash shop from the "hot colors packs".. which still give you like a 30-40% chance of getting a random pigment as a "hot color"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    One or 2 people not buying will not change the fact that there are tons and tons of dyes in the game right now from players who did buy them. It would cut sales and they dye market would crash if you could pick what you got from the cash shop.
    I suspect you're correct.

Watching how many people were standing beside Jolly Old Jones opening random gift packs and going up levels tells me that there are a ton of people who are willing to pay money to take a chance at getting what they want.

So why kill the cash cow? As much as people may claim that PWI would make so much more money if PWI would just change things to make it easier and cheaper to get specific colours, the fact is that there are already tons of paying customers with the current system. Like it or not, it's a money-maker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i totally agree that the dye system is in dire need of revamping. the idea of having a universal dye is good-you buy however many it takes to do your item, go to the seamstress, and she shows you a pallet of available colours. you click on your choice, and she dyes it. off you go, with your beautiful new clothes. i for one would love this! i tried to match a colour, to dye gloves for my cleric, but while they are close, they are off enough that they do not harmonise, and so there goes 500k of coin down the drain. *sigh* i love the outfits of the game, but cant afford to buy either dyes to change them to colours i like, or to keep buying them off the CS, in hopes of getting what i want.

this would be a wonderful change!....but i think the chances of it being put into the game are slim to none...b:sad
    aletern wrote: »
    I believe that the gaming developers should start working on a new dye system instead of random grab bags of color dyes that nobody wants. I want to start a petition or at least a general idea of what new dye systems could be implemented.

System One:
    The boutique sells dyes individually instead of making every dye random to obtain. They can still be obtained randomly, but there should be a seperate list of dyes on the side that people can buy individually.

System Two:
    Selling "Universal Dye", in other words dyes that yes, are pricier, but when used on clothing open a color scheme list in which people can preview and dye their items. Much like the color layout used to customize characters when they are first made.

Some food for thought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The only reason i do not buy dyes from cash shop is because i do not know what i am getting.
    Sorry but i do not feel like spending 50 silver for a pink pigment...
    no no no
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I would start buying dye for all of my outifts if I could choose what color it was without going through the hassle of trying to find someone with the dye I want.I also agree with the customization thing..a big plus to this game is that you can customize your character unlike other games..but yeah...I totally agree to this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Iceian - Lost City
    Iceian - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    You have my full support for this Petition. IceHealer - Lost City.
  • anaeli
    anaeli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If PW is worried about the money they might lose, I'd be willing to pay 3 or 4 times as much for a "Universal Dye" or even just to be able to choose the color I want--and that's per dye. I'd spend that much *anyway* trying to get the colors I want (which is rediculous)--they could still leave the random color packs in as they are, for those who'd rather pay less for a chance at getting lucky. But if I'm going to pay for something, I want to know what's going to come over the counter at me, and that knowledge is something I'm willing to pay extra for.

I mean, think about it this way. If you go to a deli and buy a sandwich, you're going to tell them what to put on it. Lettuce, tomato, no onion, extra pickles, or whatever you like. I'll pay good money for a good deli sandwich. But if I'm expected to close my eyes and pick at random from a vat of ingredients that contains mostly things I DON'T like, why in the world would I buy it?
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    Rosewhite - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I have clothes that I want to dye but I don't want to waste my money on a hot color pack, knowing that I might just end up with a random dye. If you want to make it more far for people who will complain that this is too easy. Make the rare and popular colors like red, white and black more expensive. People like me will buy more zen if something like this was implemented.

Definately signed,

RoseWhite - Sanctuary
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm just a vagabond with flowers for Algernon...
  • saidje
    saidje Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

OIC - It's NOT PWI's money you're worried about - it's the PLAYER dye market.

meh - Too bad.

I still vote for single dyes or at least packs of five dyes or ten dyes of ONE color.
    Saidje
    Having a high post count doesn't make you anything in the game.
    Unless you're attempting to kiss up to a GM and you KNOW what that makes you
    . :D