Why I'm glad to pay REAL money for gold!

Options
Poopspooge - Heavens Tear
Poopspooge - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Most threads complain about this “touchy” subject. I decided to share a positive view…and, no, I’m not one of the devs. LOL

Initially, I was absolutely against buying anything in-game with real money. However, it bites the big one to die! After loosing 5% experience a few times, I started thinking about it differently.

After all, I just invested x amount of time to earn that experience and now it’s GONE! I decided that the 30 cents to buy guardian angels and protect my time was completely worth it. Those 30 cents save me 30 minutes, or more, of replaying time…

Similarly, I find the guardian charms a great value. Even with guardian angels, after dying I still have to take the time to hoof it back to where I was last. It’s worth it to me to save myself the after death travel time.

Then there are the Experience scrolls! They essentially increase 1 hour of your time to 1.5 hrs! So for 50 cents, I get a healthy boost but not so much so that I don’t feel like I earned my levels…

If the devs were being greedy or unfair as many posts have stated or implied, they would have made these more useful items very expensive. However, they keep them in reach for most players and simply charge premiums for the luxury items. I find no fault in that. Luxury items in the real world cost a premium too.

I love the fact that I’m NOT forced to pay a monthly subscription. In fact, if this was one of those type games I wouldn’t have even played to begin with. This type of revenue module opens up a lot of options for people who don’t want to pay as well as for those who do. I love it!

I also enjoy supporting developers who create something that brings me enjoyment. I enjoy PWI and purchasing gold is one way I can express my thanks.

Ultimately, I see purchasing gold not as paying for pixels, but as enhancing an already positive experience.

Post edited by Poopspooge - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Informative.
    Damn, there's more.
    Back.
  • dtz
    dtz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ...Poopspooge?
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    dtz wrote: »
    ...Poopspooge?

Better to not ask...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starman17
    starman17 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    well said, poopspooge, well said.
  • Urpem - Heavens Tear
    Urpem - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I'm not totally disagree with you but think about you are only lvl 30, if you are spending a lot of money now to save xp, charms, etc. I don't want to imagine the money you will spend at higher lvls. Unless you are rich, or jubilated xD, i think you should save this money for advanced lvls when you really could need that items.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    yes, i could play without putting in a dime of real money, but with it i am able to get mounts and flying pets that both are beautiful to ride, and also keep me safer in the game by helping me escape dangerous situations. yes, i could buy them from catshops, but i use nearly all my coins to upgrade my skills, and buy armour,etc-things you cannot buy off the CS.

many people with mental illnesses play games-platform, PC and online- as a way to cope with the problem, as therapy, as a nonthreatening way to make friends, and in the case of PWI, a beautiful environment to enjoy. i myself have a number of physical and mental disabilties, and gaming is an extremely important part of my dealing with it all. i am housebound because of physical disabilties, but with my computer and this game, i am once again young, beautiful in a way i never was before, able to run tirelessly again. i have many beautiful and exotic pets, and, as a veno, can shapechange into a lithe, agile fox and course the mountains and plains of this world with my pets. things that i buy add to the enjoyment i have, lower stress that can happen in quests or battles, or just make my character/me beautiful, wearing clothes i cannont possibly IRL.

Thank you, PWI, for a beautiful place for the disabled to live in. i hope that Heaven will be something like this for me one day...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • LongThan - Sanctuary
    LongThan - Sanctuary Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    yes, i could play without putting in a dime of real money, but with it i am able to get mounts and flying pets that both are beautiful to ride, and also keep me safer in the game by helping me escape dangerous situations. yes, i could buy them from catshops, but i use nearly all my coins to upgrade my skills, and buy armour,etc-things you cannot buy off the CS.

many people with mental illnesses play games-platform, PC and online- as a way to cope with the problem, as therapy, as a nonthreatening way to make friends, and in the case of PWI, a beautiful environment to enjoy. i myself have a number of physical and mental disabilties, and gaming is an extremely important part of my dealing with it all. i am housebound because of physical disabilties, but with my computer and this game, i am once again young, beautiful in a way i never was before, able to run tirelessly again. i have many beautiful and exotic pets, and, as a veno, can shapechange into a lithe, agile fox and course the mountains and plains of this world with my pets. things that i buy add to the enjoyment i have, lower stress that can happen in quests or battles, or just make my character/me beautiful, wearing clothes i cannont possibly IRL.

Thank you, PWI, for a beautiful place for the disabled to live in. i hope that Heaven will be something like this for me one day...
    i lol'db:chuckle
  • Eorween - Heavens Tear
    Eorween - Heavens Tear Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    you said it very well.
    I have played few mmo some free some not
    guardian charm and angel does help you a lot in game if you use it properly
    specially when you pass certain lvl like 70+
    you wont always have a cleric around to rez you.
    for the little pocket change of 30 cent or 35k coin, its way worth it
    yes it does really depend on how skillful player you are, since the price is low
    PW expecting lot of different kinda of player from kids to adult with many skill level. (most likely cause of this reason)
    But yet still i find people so cheap about it, they rather sit there for like 2-3 or + hours waiting for cleric to come by to rez them.
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The angle I view it from is rather that I am glad that the ability to buy items with RL cash keeps those of us with a job and a family halfway on par with the powergamers who play this game 18 hours per day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I never really understood why people balk at paying real money to buy virtual items in the game. The entire entertainment industry is based on the premise of paying real money for virtual or ethereal products. You spend $10 to go to a theater or $50 to go to an amusement park, and after a few hours of fun it's over. Here at least you get to keep and use the virtual item day after day. Heck, most other games you have to pay $40-$60 for a box in the store just to install it. Here everything is free, so why the hangup over paying even the $40 you would've paid for another game?
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i lol'db:chuckle

double lol

But she is right.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Poopspooge - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not alone in these ideas, thanks for adding your thoughts, everyone.
    I'm not totally disagree with you but think about you are only lvl 30, if you are spending a lot of money now to save xp, charms, etc. I don't want to imagine the money you will spend at higher lvls. Unless you are rich, or jubilated xD, i think you should save this money for advanced lvls when you really could need that items.

Its all perspective really...I wouldn't consider what I've put in as 'a lot'. I hope that as I get to be a better player, I won't die as much anyway. Additionally, at higher levels I anticipate having more coins which I can use on items that I currently purchase through the boutique. But heck, even if I bought some of those guardian angels every month, they are still inexpensive. That is kind of my point. The most valuable items are priced so they are NOT out of reach, whether you're a new or experienced player.
  • Swifti - Heavens Tear
    Swifti - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    if there was a cash shop item... that instantly made you lvl 105 and gave you all the godliest items in the game... youd buy that too right? because itd save you time(like 10 years!).
  • Desdemonaaa - Lost City
    Desdemonaaa - Lost City Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

What you said was very moving ^^
    & I am glad that this game makes you happy... b:victory

To comment on the thread:
    I NEVER thought I would ever spend a dime on a "pixel"
    until I started playing PWI that is...
    As someone stated in another thread, it's a hobby just like anything else.
    If it makes you happy/occupies free time in a legal way, then it's worth it lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    if there was a cash shop item... that instantly made you lvl 105 and gave you all the godliest items in the game... youd buy that too right? because itd save you time(like 10 years!).
    If all you care about is leveling and getting the best items with a minimum amount of actual time playing the game, I would suggest you try Progress Quest. It's free, and has extensive macro/bot support so you can leave your character playing the game even when you're not at the computer. b:laugh

The botters are generally people who don't want to spend a dime on the game. They want to get as much as they can for as little effort/time expenditure on their part. The fun for them comes from "beating the system," not from actually playing the game.

The people buying cash items actually tend to make better decisions since they're spending real $$$. They buy the items because it improves their enjoyment of the game. A cash item which basically let you play the game in god mode would sap all the enjoyment out of the game after a few days, and thus wouldn't be worth the $$$.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    And why would anyone do that? It defeats the purpose of playing a game.. the purpose of playing a game is leveling and having fun while your doing it. That is why I'm not level 80-90 by now, I take the time to have fun. Heck.. I've had the same quests for several weeks now and haven't bothered to even try to do them yet because I'm busy having fun doing other things (like getting killed). Even tried to solo Silver Fang but alas... he killed me and my Herc. lol.

~S
  • jalenstar4ever
    jalenstar4ever Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    And why would anyone do that? It defeats the purpose of playing a game.. ~S

That would be for end game PvP.

You'd be surprised. Some people could care less about the PvE aspect of the game. They just want to rush to the highest level as quickly as possible so they can "PWN" in PvP. Quite common among PvP enthusiasts actually.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I never really understood why people balk at paying real money to buy virtual items in the game. The entire entertainment industry is based on the premise of paying real money for virtual or ethereal products. You spend $10 to go to a theater or $50 to go to an amusement park, and after a few hours of fun it's over. Here at least you get to keep and use the virtual item day after day. Heck, most other games you have to pay $40-$60 for a box in the store just to install it. Here everything is free, so why the hangup over paying even the $40 you would've paid for another game?

I have more important expenses like rent, bills, food. There isn't enough left over for much else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Pretty much the same b:chuckle I spend what I can afford to loose for pure entertainment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

This actually brought a tear to my eyes as I finished reading this. You have just opened my eyes to another aspect of what these games can be to us players. Well written, and thanks for opening yourself up here, in such a beautiful way.
    b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • Leonator - Sanctuary
    Leonator - Sanctuary Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

That was so touchingb:sad but I loled at the last part, so you want fight to monsters and run through dungeons when you go to heaven?b:shocked
  • Sir_walter - Heavens Tear
    Sir_walter - Heavens Tear Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    That was so touchingb:sad but I loled at the last part, so you want fight to monsters and run through dungeons when you go to heaven?b:shocked

Sounds like heaven to me
  • Poopspooge - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options

No.
    And why would anyone do that? It defeats the purpose of playing a game.. the purpose of playing a game is leveling and having fun while your doing it.

Precisely.
    That would be for end game PvP.

You'd be surprised. Some people could care less about the PvE aspect of the game. They just want to rush to the highest level as quickly as possible so they can "PWN" in PvP. Quite common among PvP enthusiasts actually.

Yes, there are people like that. However, the Devs want the game to last a long time, so it wouldn't be in their best interest to sell an item like that. As soon as people could simply buy the highest level the fairness of the game is gone and players would leave in droves. There has to be a balance or everything collapses.
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Sounds like heaven to me

Sounds like hell to me b:laugh.
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

You missed the point here on what she was trying to say. I swear to god some of you people can ruin a wet dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • Waterdrop - Dreamweaver
    Waterdrop - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Uhm yes its great and much easyer if u spend $ in a game and i dont blame the ones that do that but u can make it without it to and no it doesnt get harder at higher lvls.
    I started to play this game 2 months ago and made an archer on HT.Archers r considered most expensive so many ppls avoid em prefering a veno or other classes.I got lvl 84 in 1 month and a bit without spending a single $.75-80 was a pain since i was using 4 gold charms a day and alot of xp scrolls. Used to spend 12-15 $ a day in coins just to grind.At 80 i got weapon refinend +7 worth of 180 $ in coins also.That would be alooot of $ if i was a cash spender but look u can do it without to.
    SO cash spending is really ur option from my point of view. It can be done without to.I know alot of ppls like me who got here.Yes u dont get every new thing that apears in cash shop right away but u get it eventually.This game is created for everyone to have fun so it shouldnt matter if u spend $ or not.b:victory
  • fallingsky92z
    fallingsky92z Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    how many lvl can u gain per day if u use 4 gold charm and X amount of Xp scroll??

Zhen Sqaud*
  • Waterdrop - Dreamweaver
    Waterdrop - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    As an archer i recomand soloing if u use that amount of charms. I heard its 3 % per hour zhening while solo gets me 7-8 % at lvl 84.Depends what class u r and if u can aford zhen.Also zhening wont bring u 1.5 mil a day.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    yes, i can totally relate to this...im on SSI, which is a lot less than most people have to live on. all of it goes to family bills. what i get to play with in the CS comes from the occasional gifts from relatives.

I have more important expenses like rent, bills, food. There isn't enough left over for much else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • DevilCrys - Heavens Tear
    DevilCrys - Heavens Tear Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    30cents thats fine I can find that in my couch or pocket.. 10$ is cool to..But 4-5grand just to refine gear no ty..250$ for a phoenixs or herc...no ty..I mean 100$ then farm ingame coin for the rest is fine but otherwise yall pushin it