PWI? ha i laugh at that

Options
Noldo_cuar - Sanctuary
Noldo_cuar - Sanctuary Posts: 51 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Recently i just found out that the entire asian region of the world is banned from PWI my dear friend wanted to play but she can't b/c there's no way to b/c all major asian countries are banned. Oh well i'm more than angered at this it's called "PERFECT WORLD INTERNATIONAL" not PERFECT WORLD SEMI-INTERNATIONAL. Oh well just glad i found out this before i had actually bought anything from the cash shop. I just hope one of the other versions actually support the asian countries even though they're not called "International".
Post edited by Noldo_cuar - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Yanjing - Heavens Tear
    Yanjing - Heavens Tear Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Asian countries have their own regions of the game to play so they need to play that version.
    yay
  • Noldo_cuar - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    meh oh well she was going to play with her so i'm probably going to take my leave of this one for some time. I wanted to play with her as she wanted to play some PW and the asian client doesn't work too well for me as it times out alot :/ but the new MS one they launched is open to all so that seems liek the best bet. Staff were friendly name misleading though.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    You have to remember that while the US considers countries in Asia to be International or abroad, they wouldn't necessarily be considered such by PWE since it's in China, and that's where the first two versions are. Thus when PWI was released, it encompassed countries that were "international" or abroad from Asia.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    meh oh well she was going to play with her so i'm probably going to take my leave of this one for some time. I wanted to play with her as she wanted to play some PW and the asian client doesn't work too well for me as it times out alot :/ but the new MS one they launched is open to all so that seems liek the best bet. Staff were friendly name misleading though.

LOL

Take this from someone has played MS CBT --> OBT.

MS is FAIL.

The GMs talk more than they work.

Ugh >.>
  • Noldo_cuar - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    well then person who talks like such say one that's supporting both the US and teh asian countries and won't have too much latency issues for either of us?
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    There are licensing issues. Versions of Perfect World already exist for those markets.
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    jemima wrote: »
    There are licensing issues. Versions of Perfect World already exist for those markets.

Actually there aren't. PW Bejing owns the PW rights and nobody else does, they get to decide who can access which server and who can't. And if I am not totally mistaken, most regional PW servers, including PWI are 100% subsidaries of PW Bejing anyway (most prominent exception being PW-MY). So, if they signed out exclusivity for some regional licensees it's still their own fault by agreeing to those terms. And it doesn't explain why PW MS does NOT have IP locks either. In the end they locked out those people because they want to, plain and easy.

rant

IP locks are bad. It's against everything the internet stands for, which is a global platform, open to everyone. It's also against the idea of free markets and giving people choices. There is no reason NOT to hate IP locks, they only serve to help apply price discrimination and fill the coffers of big business more by eliminating competition. IT locks are the same as putting regional locks on DVDs. It's disgusting. Seriously, everyone who is in favor of territorializing the internet should get a lifetime ban from all internet access. The internet is global, if you don't like that, go sell your junk in some neigborhood store instead.

/end rant
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Noldo_cuar - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Personally i believe that perfect world is about love also and becasue we love eachother me and my girlfriend we like to play games together to feel closer whilst we're away the game gives you options to embrace someone so is it trying to say this is wrong. The main reason why i started playing perfect world was because it gave me the option to marry someone so i could show my affection for this person by limiting who can get married is an awful like communism of the late 70s russia. It seems i have found yet another game that relates to communism. Also personally PWI has just told me that Interacial couples are wrong mainly an asian with anyone else around the world. So oh well :/
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    This thread is stupid, obviously youve never heard of a liscensing agreement >.> b:angry

Under which the condition of contract the Parent company sells rights to use the game to a Franchise, they -must- block all regions that have their own PWs, INCLUDING SEA. Learn business and boohoo elsewhere plx :O
    edited March 2009
    Options
    This thread is stupid, obviously youve never heard of a liscensing agreement >.> b:angry

Under which the condition of contract the Parent company sells rights to use the game to a Franchise, they -must- block all regions that have their own PWs, INCLUDING SEA. Learn business and boohoo elsewhere plx :O

Except that most PW services aren't franchises, of course (MY is the only one I am aware of being a franchise). PWI, PW-MS, PW-CN and possibly others are fully owned and operated by the parent company in Bejing.

Next even IF they'd all be a franchise, that still doesn't mean they are obliged not to serve anyone outside the licensed region. It depends on their terms, and that's up for negotiation between francise giver and taker and not set in stone.

Your post is a perfect example of the tendency that the more offensive a post is written, the more garbage it usually contains.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Point is, if you can only understand/communicate via English

PW MY = FAIL GMs, FAIL EVENTS, Fail Engrish, Fail Lag, Fail People
    PW MS = FAIL Community (Like 1/10th of what we have, maybe less), FAIL GMs, but everything else is pretty good,
    PW I = FAIL CS Prices, everything is else is MUCH better than the others

So PWI FTW ^_^

(Yes I've played all 3 versions, so I can say this, and I'm entitled to an opinion, right? :))

b:laugh
  • jalenstar4ever
    jalenstar4ever Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Except that most PW services aren't franchises, of course (MY is the only one I am aware of being a franchise). PWI, PW-MS, PW-CN and possibly others are fully owned and operated by the parent company in Bejing.

Next even IF they'd all be a franchise, that still doesn't mean they are obliged not to serve anyone outside the licensed region. It depends on their terms, and that's up for negotiation between francise giver and taker and not set in stone.

Your post is a perfect example of the tendency that the more offensive a post is written, the more garbage it usually contains.

Kimyrielle, we are talking business here. This has nothing to do with the overall humanitarian perspective you allude to. They may not be franchises per se, but the same business theory applies. PW China has, in essence, "leased" their game to a western entity who will heretoforth do business as "PWI." As such, they will run their "PWI Franchise" and receive profits accordingly. In turn, PW China will receive a "royalty" fee or "rent" for this permission (license).

Now if China owned, and controlled, all of these versions then your point would be valid. But they don't. They "lease" out these rights to others. From a business perspective, it would do the China PW business chain no good to allow PWI to do business that would infringe on their jurisdictional customer base.

It's pure business.
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Kimyrielle, we are talking business here. This has nothing to do with the overall humanitarian perspective you allude to. They may not be franchises per se, but the business theory applies.

From a business perspective, it would do the China PW business chain no good to allow PWI to do business that would infringe on their jurisdictional customer base.

It's pure business.

I am not naive enough to assume that any business cares about what you call "humanitarian perspective". However, that doesn't keep us from pointing out evil business practices as such and pointing fingers at the ones using them. Also there is a means to keep business from using harmful and amoral practices even - it's called the law. If business goes wild, it needs to be regulated.

As for whether or not it's a good business decision even - I would even go as far and doubt it. It can be shown using economic models that most protective measures are actually hurtful in the end, even to the ones using them (hurtful as in they lose money). *shrug*
    Example: If I was Malaysian - I would want to play PW but not on their servers, because they don't have PvE servers. I'd never become a customer on MY servers, but I am on PWI and loving the game. Can you see where I am coming from? Sometimes it's smart to give people choices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ok there's a lot of misinformation in this thread. to address some points:

1. PWE (perfect world entertainment) is a wholly owned unit of the Chinese company that created and maintains PW, Wanmei. PWE was established to give Wanmei a foothold in the world's most lucrative gaming region - the United States.
    2. PWI is the ONLY version outside of China owned and operated by Wanmei.
    3. ALL other external versions of PW (malaysia, europe, phillipines, etc.) are 3rd party licensees of PW and excluding contractual obligations are independant operators of the PW license.
    4. The reason that certain countries are IP blocked from PWI is that those versions existed prior to the launch of PWI and have contractual conditions that guarantees them sole rights to their respective territories (in most cases).

Question to Noldo - what Asian country is your friend from that she is unable to access PWI? Only a handful of Asian territories are excluded from PWI.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • starman17
    starman17 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Definition of "international": involving two or more nations:

thus PWI's name is not misleading.
  • Panthoria - Heavens Tear
    Panthoria - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Besides the fact that there's already versions for the Malaysian and Chinese, and etc, you also have to consider having all of those people on one client version and server. That'd be hectic on the graphics card and you'd have terrible lag.
  • Bananacream - Dreamweaver
    Bananacream - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    but the new MS one they launched is open to all so that seems liek the best bet. Staff were friendly name misleading though.

O' me O' my!

have fun at MS and good riddance to ye I say.

I am a recent transfer from MS (came here after the new Eastern servers opened up). Spent about 10 weeks there and got up to level 72. Those servers were basically deader then a doornail. Their servers are literally ghost-towns and the only semblance of life that you will find are the throngs of bots and farmers running literally for days if not weeks with absolutely no GM intervention even after i submitted close to 30 bot reports.

Sadly though I logged into MS a few days ago and saw that even the gold farmers wised up and realized there was no coin to be earned here and now the bots are gone making that place feel completely barren.

MS = Epic Fail. Also, they raised their Cash shop prices a few weeks ago so now everything costs basically more then PWI. Hmmmm let me think on this - 'spensive cash shop pricing, zero community, no GM presence and a game buggered to hell and beyond (they're still running the Christmas quests there because they say its bugged and they can't shut it down anytime soon. LOLZ). sounds like winnar to me. have fun there.
  • Tomato - Dreamweaver
    Tomato - Dreamweaver Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Also personally PWI has just told me that Interacial couples are wrong mainly an asian with anyone else around the world. So oh well :/

How did they tell you that???

Off topic:

they're still running the Christmas quests there because they say its bugged and they can't shut it down anytime soon. LOLZ). sounds like winnar to me. have fun there.

Christmas quests are gone now, but the elk are still running around b:chuckle (I still log into MS everyday to say Hi)
  • Amy_Nailo - Lost City
    Amy_Nailo - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Besides the fact that there's already versions for the Malaysian and Chinese, and etc, you also have to consider having all of those people on one client version and server. That'd be hectic on the graphics card and you'd have terrible lag.

What the hell are you talking about ?
    IP locks are bad. It's against everything the internet stands for, which is a global platform, open to everyone. It's also against the idea of free markets and giving people choices. There is no reason NOT to hate IP locks, they only serve to help apply price discrimination and fill the coffers of big business more by eliminating competition. IT locks are the same as putting regional locks on DVDs. It's disgusting. Seriously, everyone who is in favor of territorializing the internet should get a lifetime ban from all internet access. The internet is global, if you don't like that, go sell your junk in some neigborhood store instead.
    100% agreeing with you. IP blocking is BAD, it only serve the compagy's purpose and interests.

- Amy
  • Devlinne - Lost City
    Devlinne - Lost City Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Did u say ALL asian countries?

Either singapore is not considered an ASIAN country(LOLZ)

Or all us SG players have somehow **** into pwi then^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A GOAT always THINKS it's a lion......untill it meets a REAL LION!!!!!
  • Ratinax - Sanctuary
    Ratinax - Sanctuary Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    It was called Perfect World Internation because the orignal PW was from China (in other words, ASIA!)

So International does not in any means translate to the entire world playing it. It means it went from the East Coast to the Western countries. In other words, the people who didn't have Perfect World yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aelric - Lost City
    Aelric - Lost City Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    It was called Perfect World Internation because the orignal PW was from China (in other words, ASIA!)

So International does not in any means translate to the entire world playing it. It means it went from the East Coast to the Western countries. In other words, the people who didn't have Perfect World yet.

True but we can play on PW-MY (I did for a year.. btw MY is Malaysian) and im not sure.. but i think ppl in the US can play on the phillippene version too (ARGH! i cant spell haha oh well i dont feel like using the backspace key b:victory)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks XRipetidex for the awesome sig!
    "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."
    -Dr. Seuss
    b:victory
    edited March 2009
    Options
    True but we can play on PW-MY (I did for a year.. btw MY is Malaysian) and im not sure.. but i think ppl in the US can play on the phillippene version too (ARGH! i cant spell haha oh well i dont feel like using the backspace key b:victory)

The Philippines also has close ties to the US as well; that and MY might not be run directly by PW: CH, either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    We've been begging for servers that will acomodate euopeans and now there is finally gmt+5 servers. Most of europe is gmt+2 so its really a much closer step than the older gmt+7 servers.

STILL idiots like the OP need to go rant and rave because its just never enough, is it?
    edited March 2009
    Options
    We've been begging for servers that will acomodate euopeans and now there is finally gmt+5 servers. Most of europe is gmt+2 so its really a much closer step than the older gmt+7 servers.

It wouldn't surprise me that if the new servers take off, and they see enough players in Europe playing they might start new servers there as well, but it might not be cost effective to do so which is what it comes down to, basically.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ence - Lost City
    Ence - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Oh well i'm more than angered at this it's called "PERFECT WORLD INTERNATIONAL" not PERFECT WORLD SEMI-INTERNATIONAL. Oh well just glad i found out this before i had actually bought anything from the cash shop. I just hope one of the other versions actually support the asian countries even though they're not called "International".

in⋅ter⋅na⋅tion⋅al

[in-ter-nash-uh-nl]
    –adjective
    1. between or among nations; involving two or more nations: international trade.
    2. of or pertaining to two or more nations or their citizens: a matter of international concern.
    3. pertaining to the relations between nations: international law.
    4. having members or activities in several nations: an international organization.
    5. transcending national boundaries or viewpoints: an international benefit; an international reputation.

Bash only if it's called Perfect World Global or Perfect World Worldwide
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xbloodragex - Lost City
    Xbloodragex - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    same thing happened with 2moons
    its some kind of licensing/sponsorship issue
    or jus that different regions has its own versions

and i hink ide go with wat OMGLAZ saidb:chuckle
    edited March 2009
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me that if the new servers take off, and they see enough players in Europe playing they might start new servers there as well, but it might not be cost effective to do so which is what it comes down to, basically.

Well, I hope one of the lessons they learned is, that there is such a thing as too many servers. There is no reason at all to run more than one (that caters to all the world and uses instances for load balancing).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Noldo_cuar - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Dvorak wrote: »
    Question to Noldo - what Asian country is your friend from that she is unable to access PWI? Only a handful of Asian territories are excluded from PWI.

it was the philipines that she's from but the game has blocked her for some reason and yes as to what they said in teh thread i could play teh phils version of the game except latency would be hell and the installer wouldn't go. I contacted customer service and all tehy told me was "this is a list of the banned IPs" that was it. No reasoning behind this just hey sorry you can't play from these countries. [sarcasm]Since they were sooo friendly in helping me. I just felt all warm inside and felt like making this thread. They were just soo great in answering my question.[/sarcasm]
    here is the exact thing they sent me when i contacted them about why her region was blocked i asked why and they sent this.
    If you live in one of the following countries, or have an IP address connected to, or close to, one
    of the following countries, you will NOT be able to play PWI.

These countries CAN NOT play Perfect World International.
    China
    Hong Kong
    Japan
    Macau
    Malaysia
    North Korea
    Philippines
    South Korea
    Taiwan
    Turkey
    Vietnam

If you want to play Perfect World for those regions, you will have to research on the internet to
    find the one that covers your location. All other IP addresses from anywhere else in the world are not blocked by Perfect World Entertainment.
    Note: This list is current as of October 3, 2008.

that's the exact thing they sent me which made me feel all warm inside. The Game support staff or who the hell ever manages the ticketing system does a horrible job they just repeated something i already got by her not being able to play and that was it no answering of my question.
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Technically, she could play PWI if she used a proxy that was in a region that was supported by PWI. The only problems would be increased latency due to the proxy, and getting it to work in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]