human wizard, doing something wrong?

saintvladd
saintvladd Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Wizard
Hey all.

I have a feeling I am really doing something wrong with my wizard. I am at the point that i have to kill Lyncean hunters (archosaur, west) and they hit me so hard, I am death in no time even with potions, I die a lot.
I am at lvl 22., have all the equipment I can get for this lvl, I spend most of my attribute at magic, i have about 720 HP, I only atribute strength that is needed for equipment. Stone rain, divine pyrogram, flamecrown, hailstorm, stone barrier and pyroshell are at max for my lvl.

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Mucho thanx ^^
Post edited by saintvladd on

Comments

• Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    saintvladd wrote: »
    Hey all.

I have a feeling I am really doing something wrong with my wizard. I am at the point that i have to kill Lyncean hunters (archosaur, west) and they hit me so hard, I am death in no time even with potions, I die a lot.
    I am at lvl 22., have all the equipment I can get for this lvl, I spend most of my attribute at magic, i have about 720 HP, I only atribute strength that is needed for equipment. Stone rain, divine pyrogram, flamecrown, hailstorm, stone barrier and pyroshell are at max for my lvl.

Mucho thanx ^^

You're not kiting. Start at max distance and use Gush to slow the enemy, I see that isn't on your list, but it is one of your more important skills. You're a wizard, you're supposed to die if you get hit a few times. Use what you can to slow the enemy down, if it gets too close, run and slow it down again. Potions aren't going to save you. Wizards are not an easy class to solo with. Easiest solution to the problem would be to party with someone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    You're not kiting. Start at max distance and use Gush to slow the enemy, I see that isn't on your list, but it is one of your more important skills. You're a wizard, you're supposed to die if you get hit a few times. Use what you can to slow the enemy down, if it gets too close, run and slow it down again. Potions aren't going to save you. Wizards are not an easy class to solo with. Easiest solution to the problem would be to party with someone.

STRONGEST SKILL>gush>run for around 5 seocnds> gush> run

i suggest u get will of the pheonix and instant teleport ASAP

if u want some degree of tankability go light armor :)
  • lasttemplar
    lasttemplar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Hey all.

Mucho thanx ^^

In two words: Kite them

I recommend only using Gush. Lycean Hunters are fairly fast mobs (Faster than, say, Crystalline Magmites). Just Gush, run away until the cooldown ends, gush again. You should be able to keep your target slowed long enough to kill it without getting touched, unless 2 or 3 Gush spells fail to slow. It doesnt happen very often though. And use your keyboard movement. I came from a game where you had to quite with the mage class and only had mouse movement. Keyboard movement is a gift. Abuse it

Be mindful of your surroundings. Try not crash into rocks or trees or accidentally get in another mobs aggro range. If any of the above happens to you, run away at once or you will probably die, Preferably to towards the water or the road leading to Archosaur until the mobs stop chasing you. Its a bit more work and takes longer than if you didnt run and just stayed put chucking spells as fast as you can, but youll save a lot of money on HP pots by doing this. Mobs with Increased Life, Increased Movement Speed or Increased Magical Resistance are obviously big no nos. Until you get the hang of kitting, I would also avoid mobs with Increased Attack

You should also ALWAYS stay at the edges of the spawn sites. Kill only the mobs that spawn at the edges. If you go further and start killing the mobs in the center, another mob could suddenly spawn right beside you and kill you. If there are no more mobs at the edges, look for another spawn site or just wait, but dont push your luck by going for the center mobs

Also, if youre running any programs that make the game lag, close them. If having the MSN or music while you play makes you lag, close it. If all youre running is PW and your computer starts to lag after an hour or two, reboot the computer. If you always have lag, I seriously suggest you dont play a wizard. You simply cant afford to have lag if youre a wizard

Other than that, I suggest you read the guides in the forums to learn which spells to use. As far as Ive seen, Crown of Flames is a total waste for a wizard

Thats all I could think of. Hope it helps
  • devildee
    devildee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Hey all.

Mucho thanx ^^

Yeah ur at the point where alot of people (including me) rerolled to a different class. You gotta decide if 1.) You wanna deal with the kiting **** till 9x when wiz "get better" or 2.) Play a class you will have fun with.

And I don't even think wiz improve anymore than the other classes do at 9x. It's just people trying to justify why wiz are so ****ty to begin with. Theres nothing concrete to back it up lol.
  • Optimeau - Heavens Tear
    Optimeau - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Hey all.

Mucho thanx ^^

to encourage you a bit :-)
    - at lvl29, get distance shrink, it saves you blue fingers by keeping 's' (for kiting) pressed all the time;
    - at lvl39, get Will of the Phoenix, it pushes back a mob;
    - at lvl49, get Force of Will, it 'stuns' a mob and let it run away for a bit;

... Yes. Wizards are difficult to solo, but it gives some challenge to the game.

Enjoy!
    Optimeau
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    devildee wrote: »
    Yeah ur at the point where alot of people (including me) rerolled to a different class. You gotta decide if 1.) You wanna deal with the kiting **** till 9x when wiz "get better" or 2.) Play a class you will have fun with.

And I don't even think wiz improve anymore than the other classes do at 9x. It's just people trying to justify why wiz are so ****ty to begin with. Theres nothing concrete to back it up lol.

I would say turn that 9x into 6x, cause from level 60 all BM's will beg you to help them (atleast they do with me). All mobs are magic and with FoW the wont hit you more then once. PvE from lvl 60 is really, REALLY easy (for me atleast).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    PvE -is- easy as a wizard. It's not fast, it's not cheap, but it is easy. Melee and magic mobs die without getting a hit off (unless I'm lagging) and I'm using a Light Armor build with crappy gear. (+1 hh70 wand with 2 avg shards)
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • devildee
    edited March 2009
    PvE -is- easy as a wizard. It's not fast, it's not cheap, but it is easy.

Only reason you say it's "easy" is because you have to kite the **** outta the mob and u don't get hit. But that takes time and is annoying. FFS you can't even use your strong/cool looking skills in solo pve because they take too long to cast.

Class thats truly easy = veno. b:laugh
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Only reason you say it's "easy" is because you have to kite the **** outta the mob and u don't get hit. But that takes time and is annoying. FFS you can't even use your strong/cool looking skills in solo pve because they take too long to cast.

There's a certain point when you no longer have to kite mobs, if i remember it's around when you get Will of the Pheonix for phys mobs. Then later when you get force of will you can handle the magic mobs quite well. You also get a heal later which saves a lot on HP pots in between kills. Mana is another story though.

My best advice for starting Wizards is to try and get a HP charm, you're given the option for a small one early on for free which wont last long. A gold HP charm on the other hand will last you for roughly your first 50 levels depending on the server you're on and save your life multiple times.
    I like pie
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited March 2009

I chose a Wizard because of your last statement. I'm not an "easy" player...I enjoy a good challenge when it comes to games; something that keeps me on my toes, requires me to learn techniques and various skills...that's what keeps me goin' in an MMO, and it's why I'm always gonna stick with my Wizard.

In addition, "kiting" is just another technique that Wizards use in order to survive, like pulling mobs with a Veno or...well, whatever tech's the other classes have. Plus, like the person before me said, you don't need to kite once you get your later skills. When I have to go up against Melee mobs, I don't have to move an inch anymore (Sandstorm, Gush, Will of Pheonix, Gush, Pyro, etc.), and against Magic mobs, I only get hit around once or twice, thanks to Force of Will.

Just remember, everyone has their own various styles of playing...some like to take the "easy" way, and that's fine. Others want a challenge, that's fine, too. In the end, we're all after the same thing...some levels, some coins, and an overall fun time. That's what I'm havin', and nothin's gonna change that.

P.S. I'm always able to cast my "cool-lookin'" skills when fighting mobs. They make a beautiful starter spell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Fleez - Heavens Tear
    Fleez - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yea your doing something wrong alright....its called being a wizard.
    ATTENTION ALL: I would just like you to know....I has fleas.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Please refrain from blaming others for your own stupidity. I don't get hit my magic/melee mobs, and there's no kiting involved. There's no Force of Will involved either.
  • devildee
    edited March 2009
    Please refrain from blaming others for your own stupidity. I don't get hit my magic/melee mobs, and there's no kiting involved. There's no Force of Will involved either.

Dude wtf? Where in my post was I blaming someone for something?
  • Esparagon - Dreamweaver
    Esparagon - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2009

This is not ture i have a great time with playing my wiz and no monster didint hit me 1 and i kill an a elite mob by my self so i have no problem with playing wiz.
  • saintvladd
    saintvladd Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Thanks very much people. It helped me greatly, I use glush now and it saves me alot of time/dieing and healthpotions =D. A true handy skill!
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Dude wtf? Where in my post was I blaming someone for something?
    Just because you're an idiot doesn't mean it's true.
  • devildee
    edited March 2009
    Just because you're an idiot doesn't mean it's true.

lmao none of your posts even make sense. You're the worst kind of troll. You're one that thinks he's quickwitted and clever but that couldn't be further from the truth. =/

What are you like 13?
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    You're the one not making any sense, lol. You're saying **** about wizards which isn't even remotely true. You have to kite? No, you don't, I can kill mobs my level easily without running away from the monster. And what "strong cool looking skills" are you refering to? I use Pyrogram, Divine Pyrogram, Phoenix, Blade Tempest, Gush, Stone Rain and Sandstorm in solo pve, and I use all of them quite often, with the exception of BT, which is only used for magic resistant mobs. Glacial Snare and Dragon could work too, but I left both at 1 so they have no purpose for me.

So please, do tell what the **** you're talking about. What level is your wizard, 29?
  • devildee
    edited March 2009
    You're the one not making any sense, lol. You're saying **** about wizards which isn't even remotely true. You have to kite? No, you don't, I can kill mobs my level easily without running away from the monster. And what "strong cool looking skills" are you refering to? I use Pyrogram, Divine Pyrogram, Phoenix, Blade Tempest, Gush, Stone Rain and Sandstorm in solo pve, and I use all of them quite often, with the exception of BT, which is only used for magic resistant mobs. Glacial Snare and Dragon could work too, but I left both at 1 so they have no purpose for me.

So please, do tell what the **** you're talking about. What level is your wizard, 29?

Dude you are lvl 75 with god knows what kinda gear. When I play my wiz thats all I could do was kite. And thats all I see out front of Archosaur...kiting and dying wizards. lmao

Don't give any new players illusions about wizards. They don't get easier for pve till around your lvl. And even then I bet they are still garbage compared to what other classes can do.
    edited March 2009
    Dude you are lvl 75 with god knows what kinda gear. When I play my wiz thats all I could do was kite. And thats all I see out front of Archosaur...kiting and dying wizards. lmao

Don't give any new players illusions about wizards. They don't get easier for pve till around your lvl. And even then I bet they are still garbage compared to what other classes can do.

That's the point, devil. Wizards are endgamers, for people who don't mind waiting a little to gain power. Sure, there may be times where we can get outshone in many categories, but that doesn't bother me one bit. I play for me, not for anyone else, and I'm happy with my character.

Like I said before, every class is geared toward a different play-style...the Wizard just so happens to match mine. Please, there's no need to put down any class or playstyle...after all, we're all members of the same community. ^_^

--Wishing you all the best, Konari Raiden, humble Wizard of Heaven's Tear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009

Uhm, some cheap armor and quests reward with a little hh70 wand, +1. Light Armor build. I'm effing weak, genius.

And pve was never hard for me. Especially from 40 to 64ish. That was a walk in the park, and I didn't have to worry about money at all, I made money without even caring about where I trained. I know archers and veno's, for example, are even easier, but for a wizard, pve is only hard at lower levels. Only times I had trouble was about 15-40. The amount of ranged physical mobs is relatively high there, your range still sucks because your skills aren't max
    edited March 2009
    Uhm, some cheap armor and quests reward with a little hh70 wand, +1. Light Armor build. I'm effing weak, genius.

And pve was never hard for me. Especially from 40 to 64ish. That was a walk in the park, and I didn't have to worry about money at all, I made money without even caring about where I trained. I know archers and veno's, for example, are even easier, but for a wizard, pve is only hard at lower levels. Only times I had trouble was about 15-40. The amount of ranged physical mobs is relatively high there, your range still sucks because your skills aren't max

I know it's a little off-topic but... *high-five* Yes! Finally, another Light Armor Build Wizard! ^_^v
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'm LA build also.
    For your low levs killing isn't complicated and you should seldome be hit. Your spell sequence in almost all instances should be:
    Stone Rain (prior to them aggroing on you) Gush to slow them, pyro to end them.
    Another gush might be required at the end and you'll take 1 hit from the mob. If they are that fast, make a minor change and start with Stone Rain, gush, pyro, Distance Shrink (don't remember level) or kite, and gush to finish it. You should really be burning down your mobs before they get to you.

This assumes a full Int wiz with minimum str\dex\vit all else in mag. Full int is easy until 40 or so, then restat to Light Armor for survival. Should take about 2 weeks to get to lev 40 if done consistantly with no regard for sleep or food.

At lev 59, Wiz's begin to come into thier own. Sutra is the extreme changing point. In 6 seconds at lev 62, I've documented 40k dmg minimum on my sutra combination. Not something that any other class can replicate in the same amount of time at that point.

At lev 78 I duel (yes wiz's can duel) same lev Barbs,BM's, and Veno's and win fairly consistantly. Archers are about 50\50 and its all about getting right next to them before they stun you. (dmg is 1/2 at close range)
    Don't fight a cleric though, on a surprise you'll get the first duel, but following ones they will win.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    PURE WIZ FTW

down with all u impure LA wizzies b:angry
  • Zdolnoc - Harshlands
    Zdolnoc - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    PURE WIZ FTW

I never inhaled!! XD

I'll admit that I reset to LA build from lvl 61 to 63 just to try it out, but I didn't like the loss of dmg I could deal out. Plus magic mobs started whiping the floor with me. Now I'm back to a full int build and very happy with it. The secret is phys res modifiers on ur equipment, along with phys res soulgems, a maxed stone barrier, and every buff a cleric has. Gives you the phys res of a LA build, with the mag res of a full int, and the full atk of a full int.

Oh and Devildee... You posted a thread the other day about switching to a Veno. So go troll the Veno forums!! You obviously aren't a hardcore player like the rest of us. You like the easy way out and so you took the road most traveled. Good luck with your Veno and quit trashing on Wizards.
    edited March 2009
    PURE WIZ FTW

*shakes fist* NEVAAR!!! xP

Hehe, well, Light Armor is just how I play...I'm happy with it. I'm sure you're happy with your Pure Int, and that's awesome. ^_^ Wish we were in the same server... :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    I never inhaled!! XD

The secret is phys res modifiers on ur equipment, along with phys res soulgems, a maxed stone barrier, and every buff a cleric has. Gives you the phys res of a LA build, with the mag res of a full int, and the full atk of a full int. QUOTE]

This is going to get into a debate regarding builds but your description of the above is not quite correct. As all those gems you used for phys def and all those bonuses you worked for phys def I instead worked for HP. So while you may have the same phys def I do, with the same stone barrier, I have twice your hit points and 3-4 times your crit chance. The crit chance balances out the dmg your full int gives and provides for those spikes req for 1hko and I end up having twice your hp in the end. NEITHER of us will have any of the buffs a cleric would have, but both of us will out damage a maxed cleric.

At lev 100 we'll both be equivalent, but on the trip up I'll survive longer during phys combat against all melee classes and mobs, and can switch to my pure arcane gear against the magic classes and magic mobs. Incidently, my arcane gear is ALSO gemmed\bonused towards hp as the phys def is useless against those same magic mobs.

While you can also carry around a 2nd set of arcane gear with those same hp gems\bonuses for pure mag mobs\classes, I suspect you probably won't as its not a common practice amongst the pure INT builds.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    What he said was bs anyway.

hh90 arcane = 171
    hh90 light = 657

Arcane does not have the same pdef as light armor. Even with pdef shards. Even perfect gems won't cut it. Unless you want to throw even higher ones on all your equips? Means you're missing out on a LOT of hp.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    pure wizzes dont need phys def cause we gotta get rid of it before it touches us. I like my pure (never tried LA so im not going to say its bad) but as a pure wiz your damage is garaunteed right...but LA has a critical hit rate which has a percent of happening. You get 1 critical percent per 20 dex points vs getting magic increase per magic point. This is off a thoughts so i might be wrong but i heard that in the end a pure and a LA with critical hit are equal.

but i admit some of the light armor looks coolb:victory
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    You won't always get the first hit. In a PvP situation only sometimes does that happen, getting past the initial gank is paramount. During TW this is most evident, you'll enter a mob of other people to attack a target, or the mob will flow past or to you during your cast. While you might run away after just 1 spell, the phys attacks are coming at you. Mag attacks tend to take longer to hit, so most likely your taking BM\Archer pain.
    In Zhen, if your AoE is doing any kind of dmg, you'll take aggro with no chance to evade at all. This is a classic case of needing more phys res or more hp or both.
This discussion has been closed.