The enemy archer

Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Cleric
Hey all a have a question about archers, how does a cleric beat em?
In my experiences,
Blademaster - plume shell, sleep spark, weild thunder and cyclone - usually easy
Barbarian same thing just takes longer
Venomancer plume shell to ignore the pets attack - spark - usually 1 hit ko
Wizard - sleep and plume - easy

Archers- I tried everything plume shelling, sleeping but I always end up dead. how does a cleric deal with an archers insane damage output?
We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
(Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
Post edited by Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    I think I can answer my own question - get phy defence shards lol I only got 500 phy defence x_X
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I think I can answer my own question - get phy defence shards lol I only got 500 phy defence x_X

Seriously? only 500? I have 1001 on my lvl. I'm Light Armor Cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    I'm robed yes I fail at phy defence lol
  • Ithilmir - Sanctuary
    Ithilmir - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Archers are designed to kill robes. Don't expect to survive against one. Going LA will buy you some time, but your main survival mechanism is hoping they don't crit on their first hit.
  • Secilia - Lost City
    Secilia - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So archers > clerics forever?

Or are archers just too overpowered and > everything at high levels?
  • Dirik - Sanctuary
    Dirik - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    well i can easily kill archers my level anything higher i die. i jst plume shell, attack, attack, sleep, two stack iron heart (plume shell runs out), attack, attack, and dey dieb:victory
  • Faustinna - Heavens Tear
    Faustinna - Heavens Tear Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Plume shell works wonders for me in the duels i've done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Open a fight with an archer with sleep, use iron heart once or twice, plume shell, then hit them with plume shot/wield thunder. Cyclone isn't important because they have a higher elemental defense than their physical defense, and they're too damn fast for the slow effect to bother them.

If you can, get as close as possible. They're useless if you get close and they don't use those winged skills. If they use their shield, it often breaks in 1 hit.
  • ArsLaan - Heavens Tear
    ArsLaan - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Archers hmm,,

In my experience, following happened

Archer: Uses stun , grace(to avoid negative effects like sleep, stun ,paralyze), winged shell and then their attack skills.

How to tackle them:
    Start with spamming iron heart on yourself 2-3times.
    Cleric = Use plume shell real quick as soon as u start dueling or pking.(20sec)
    Archers: Uses stun (let them stun, wait till stun wore off)(Usually lasts 3-5sec)
    then he will use grace to avoid negative effects (15sec), wait right here, dont use sleep at all until 15 sec. Ur plume shell is still going on remember that.
    Ofcourse he will use winged shell and grace+winged shell = ultimate defence sheild.
    if hes using only winged shell not grace= u can still kill them with plume shot with spark.

When ur plume shell is gone, use sleep at that instant. because ur plume shell is gone it means that archers grace is also gone.
    (Hes still in sleep)
    Spark(always fight at full chi, im assuming u got 400%spark) after using sleep u will still have 2 sparks ready. Use plume shot with 400% spark, 2 plume shots and KO.

I tried this already, worked really good for me.b:victory
    Good luck.

Note: Everyone fights their own way, i use different strategies according to the situation, but the above one is basic one. Other people may have different opinions about the duel or pk.
  • Rophe - Heavens Tear
    Rophe - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Archers are tricky. If they have high crit, kiss your butt goodbye. I hate archers.

However, in my experience, shooting djkinetic all the time, stick with elemental damage. The vast majority of archers have higher phy res than ele res. It of course depends on their ornaments and your level of metal mastery. Whenever possible, keep them stunned, slept, whatever. Spark to save a few hits, keep ironheart stacked etc etc.
  • BloodCountes - Heavens Tear
    BloodCountes - Heavens Tear Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Lol I have dueled ArsLaan about 4- 5 times and he didn't give me a chance. b:chuckle Plume shell makes me do him about 50 - 70 dmg a hit and it is really impossible to beat clerics in duels if I don't use wings of grace. So if u duel archer who doesn't use that skill just activate your plume shield, use your sleephold and the archer is 80 % dead. b:surrender
    Of course there are many archers with many different duel strategies. b:thanks
    My people, some of them have run away to the hills
    and have no shelter. No food, no one knows where they are,
    hear me my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad,
    I will fight no more....
  • Prewancker - Lost City
    Prewancker - Lost City Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just reminding you guys that magical attacks like the archer's lightning skills go right through plume shell. Yeah yeah I know you guys have high magical resistance but we have crit. =)
    edited February 2009
    Just reminding you guys that magical attacks like the archer's lightning skills go right through plume shell. Yeah yeah I know you guys have high magical resistance but we have crit. =)

Don't forget the metal res debuf. Mine is only lvl 6 and has 40 % decrease of metal res. As far as I know at lvl 10 it is 50%. But without grace we will get slept before ever use it.
    I will fight no more....
    edited February 2009
    Archers are alright not too hard not too easy either I'd say it's a 50/50 I can't say I ever creamed a archer but I did manage to beat a level 77 archer with only 14hp left lol

I basically just did plume shell the beginning, then I slept him did weild thunder then I sparked cyclone, plume shot and cyclone again.
    I was quite surprised he sparked but even with level 7 plume shell he still hit 400 dmg o_O
  • Prewancker - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    I'm surprised he didn't stun you with Aim Low or Stunning Arrow at the beginning. Haha anyone dueling a cleric that doesn't stun them immediately is just asking to get sleeped.
    edited February 2009
    I don't think Aim Low is stun It only stops target from moving, and my sleep is 0.5 seconds faster casting than stunning arrow
  • Prewancker - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Aim Low IS stun, up to like 9 seconds i believe. And it's channel and cast added together is 1.6 seconds.
    edited February 2009
    ah yes i checked on ecatomb, my mistake.

Side note: anyone that does not run up close to an archer to halve their damage is silly.
    winged pledge and winged shell.. not too bad lol
    edited February 2009
    Aim Low IS stun, up to like 9 seconds i believe. And it's channel and cast added together is 1.6 seconds.

Ok try to stun cleric or wizard with aim low...lol b:laugh

Aim low just binds target to the ground but they can still hit u if they r close enough to you. For example to BMS and Babrs it will be some kind of stun cause they won't be able to hit u. But when it comes to clerics...it is useless unless u use it to inflict more dmg thean regular shot.
    I will fight no more....
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    It's not useless at all, it keeps the squishy arcane from getting close enough to gimp your damage, keeps them from running away if they're low hp, and it could serve as a get away for you if your hp hits critical.
    edited February 2009
    It's not useless at all, it keeps the squishy arcane from getting close enough to gimp your damage, keeps them from running away if they're low hp, and it could serve as a get away for you if your hp hits critical.

You have right. IF I am about to pk a cleric and I am far away from him I will definetly use aim low. But when it comes to duels.....
    I will fight no more....
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    You have right. IF I am about to pk a cleric and I am far away from him I will definetly use aim low. But when it comes to duels.....

How is it any different? Do more damage than them. Maximize your damage output by keeping them at a distance, use your winged shell(even though, often enough, a magic based character breaks it in 1 hit. It buys time anyways), to survive some of that **** magic damage, then get a lucky crit with your deadly shot.

Often enough, deadly shot will trash a squishy arcane in 1 hit in the 6x area. I swear that skill should require a spark.
  • Prewancker - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    No I think the point BloodCountes is making is that, Aim Low binds you to the same spot but doesn't stop your attacks. Stunning Arrow does do that I believe, which makes it a tad more useful for delaying attacks.
  • ArsLaan - Heavens Tear
    ArsLaan - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    o.O lol,, this post was about how to defeat archers, not how to do defect clerics xD, still anyways great info on archers part who posted.

So,,in duels, the strat. which I told earlier may work successfully.
    But in pk, its totally different, how you surprise them and attack them, and because archer doesnt know hes being attacked by cleric, archers dead right there in 2 shots b:victory , lol . But what if an archers pks you.. hmm,, how to tackle them now, you dont have plume shieldb:shocked activated and he attacks using his deadly skills :O, to beat this or to save yourself, you may have to change your stats(ONLY IF YOUr PKnerd lol) lil bit. Vit should be more umm 60 is ok and str to 45-50, and rest mag. Hoping if u dont get a critical hit >.<, you may be able to save yourself(if archers are not at 400% spark:O).

So, to the main guy who started this post, practice duels, duel duel more, get to know archers and how they use skills and same for other classes before you go into pk mode.(Im doing the same :),

Good Luck

Note: Other people might have different opinions, and my advices may not be agreed by all the people, so you have to experience yourself to get to know classes better.
  • Ermosa - Heavens Tear
    Ermosa - Heavens Tear Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    to start zhen party for archers need duel cleric or wizzard, i have never seen them handle more than 2 hits(when im actually pretty near to them so less dmg), + everyone in party have def buffs. so barbars hp buff and bms+clerics pdef buff still can't handle more than couple hits.

2 hits with barrage+fire dmg buff

1st thing to do is check archer gears, what shards he have in gears(mag or phys or hp), what ornaments it have(pdef or mag def)
    if more magic def then put him sleep and use phys dmg and kill him before he can move
    if more phys def then put him sleep and use mag dmg and kill him before he can move
    hp shards...either one of previous or sleep+best attack skills( i still would say magic attacks hurts more tho)
    edited February 2009
    Pure Dex archers are less challenging my Plume shell keeps me alive long enough and usually a smart archer starts with their winged shell in that case I just attack normally to break the shell or if an archer starts with wings of grace during that I usually run up real close to gimp their damage after wards

Then as you would Imagine an archer will try to stun with that I try to time my Avd Spark eruption to resist it,
    After that you would be imagined to attack usually the archer then sparks as well I take advantage of that and sleep the archer,
    Then It's over
  • angellicdeity
    angellicdeity Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Pure Dex archers are less challenging my Plume shell keeps me alive long enough and usually a smart archer starts with their winged shell in that case I just attack normally to break the shell or if an archer starts with wings of grace during that I usually run up real close to gimp their damage after wards

Then as you would Imagine an archer will try to stun with that I try to time my Avd Spark eruption to resist it,
    After that you would be imagined to attack usually the archer then sparks as well I take advantage of that and sleep the archer,
    Then It's over

I dont know about you, but against sage archers you cant get close enough to cast any spells.

Serrated Arrow goes right through plume shell. Plume shell does not stop the damage-over time effect.

If the skill is higher leveled - you'll waste time healing as you dont have enough HP to survive the ticks.

If Deadly shot criticals - it can take out your plume shell and a good chunk of your HP.

Clerics stand a mild chance for the first 89 levels. Once the sage/demon cultivation comes, archers either:

A) Get further range with more power
    B) Get better critical rates

Either way its not pretty for us clerics.

At 100 it could be much worse too. Blood Vow is like kryptonite for clerics.
  • MystiBabe - Sanctuary
    MystiBabe - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Cleric can easily take out an Archer
    Sleep, use magic debuff then Tempest or spark and tempest b:laugh
    Seen Archers get one shot this way
  • angellicdeity
    angellicdeity Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Cleric can easily take out an Archer
    Sleep, use magic debuff then Tempest or spark and tempest b:laugh
    Seen Archers get one shot this way

If sage archers can be taken out that easily - then Sanctuary has one crappy PvP scene.

Sage archers dont even give clerics the chance to use sleep, nevermind any debuffs, tempest, sparking, or even plume shell to reduce the damage taken. Their range is far beyond the range we can cast at.
  • Kathar - Lost City
    Kathar - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    One thing everyone seems to be missing is... POTS!!!

you can plume shell 20 secs
    pop a 3k dmg absorb pot
    then plume shell again

if you can't kill the archer in 50 secs you are dead anyways...