Is this game sexist? Definatley yes. Suggestions...

Comments

• Karyanne - Heavens Tear
    Karyanne - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Girls could easily be made to carry guys, the classic super hero position with the girl's arms hooked under the guy's arms basically attached to his back. This seems to be most realistic for winged elves to allow for proper wing movement. For other types of flying mounts and such it would be passenger behind holding on to the driver. Most mounts in the game don't actually seem to require strength in the rider.

Girl embracing guy would probably involve both of them keeping feet on the ground, unless flying or riding a mount of some kind, in which case the mount is actually supporting the weight, not the girl. Except in the case of Elf wings or something similar.
  • TheTot - Heavens Tear
    TheTot - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I've seen many mmorpgs, but none with such a level of how to put it, disgrace.

There is something rare in this game, which is the love and marriage between charachters.

There's flying, which I can say this is the first mmorpg I see that actually did it well.

And there's the fashion, the ability to wear a diffrent set of clothes just for looks. Something thats not very common in mmorpgs, although people do want it.

Actually, marriage between characters is really common in free to play MMORPGs.

I agree with the flying, this is the first game I thought did it well.

And the fashion is so wrong too. o.o; EVERY free-to-play MMORPG has fashion items for you to buy with real money, that's HOW they're free.
  • MajorRaze - Heavens Tear
    MajorRaze - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I agree with this. I thought that the guy-to-guy embrace might be considered same-sex-ish but the way you put it makes it sounds good. I think these should be looked further into and put into play if possible.
  • graider
    graider Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    My...God... I have seen the word 'sexist' in here more than I've ever heard it before.

You all have to realize what countries developed this game. Women in the majority (95%) of Asia are only now getting what we take for granted.

Japan is only now experiencing what is the start of women's rights. China controls everything within their borders... Everything...

Women have very few rights in the asian countries, where this game was developed.

You have to take everything back to where it started!!!!!!!!

Btw, using sexist so much makes me ask... Fem-**** much?
    If the best defense is a good offense, why did I even show up?

If a train is going east at 50 mph and another train is going west at 90 mph, where do they...Never gonna give you up~ Never gonna let you down~Never gonna run around~and hurt you~

If you've got this far, you've been rick-rolled.
  • blo0dyyay
    blo0dyyay Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Be happy this game is free for such quality, its not that the creaters are lazy or something, its just ALOT work, have you ever seen a line to get an item showed up in screen or character? its not just a program which you can tell to do thisses and thats, its a combination of many programs pressed in 1 language. if girls sould get to carry guys, than it would **** up the grafics and create an enourmously alot of bugs = REcreate the game = no way...
  • Sereniama - Heavens Tear
    Sereniama - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Well the staff are asian so yes they are ALWAYS gonna be sexist... ALWAYS <_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sou Sou Moutoku = The most badass **** in Anime History. Never diss Kohime Musou or die.
  • Niamy - Sanctuary
    Niamy - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Well the staff are asian so yes they are ALWAYS gonna be sexist... ALWAYS <_<

Asians = sexist? NOT, u wrong U_U, that comment is discriminatory.
    Some people re sexist, u know asians sexist meybe, but that NOT means just all asias re sexist... u cant judging all asians for some sexist... so, reply again and say "the developers re sexist".

b:bye
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1565254001&dateline=1226478053[/SIGPIC]
    Venomancer 82
    Cleric 55
    Barbarian 32
    Wizard 54
    Believe me when I tell you will not want to test my anger...
  • Darknin - Lost City
    Darknin - Lost City Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    DEVELOPERS ARE SEXISTb:victory

End of storyb:bye

Niamy happeh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tankhunter
    tankhunter Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Well, on land mounts could just be made that the man sits behind the woman and holds onto her waist, this would work. On flying mounts similar deal, though given the kind of surfer approach the flying swords are, I would say it would be holding onto the shoulder. Winged elves, simple approach, woman holds guy around waist, guy is surrounded by magic, line of thought: Female winged elves are a bit stronger in magic then men, so they can use it to reduce the weight of others.

If on land it bugs you enough, just use the normal embrace but make it so that when the woman initiates the embracing she can tell the guy where to go, in other words normal character commands for the female character make the male body move. Essentially backseat driving.

Female carrying female would be same embrace we normally use, if its added in. Guy carrying guy would be the guy being carried is slung over the shoulder like he is a wounded soldier in the movies.

Now when it comes to the armor...

Arcane Armor and Light Armor are the most revealing, while Heavy Armor actually covers up a good portion of the body on female characters.

Arcane armor is pretty much just clothing, so could just be changed to be more robe like, or make it so that when your character is wearing a cloak, they are actually wearing a cloak to cover up how much skin is shown. Light Armor could use expanding at least to cover more of the body, and not be a clone of arcane armor except for coloring since it is more about resistance without sacrificing freedom of movement.

Heavy Armor for females is mostly fine.

One thing I would like to see, is the ability to pick up and teleport those who have been knocked out back to town so a cleric can get to them.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    tankhunter wrote: »
    Well, on land mounts could just be made that the man sits behind the woman and holds onto her waist, this would work. On flying mounts similar deal, though given the kind of surfer approach the flying swords are, I would say it would be holding onto the shoulder. Winged elves, simple approach, woman holds guy around waist, guy is surrounded by magic, line of thought: Female winged elves are a bit stronger in magic then men, so they can use it to reduce the weight of others.

If on land it bugs you enough, just use the normal embrace but make it so that when the woman initiates the embracing she can tell the guy where to go, in other words normal character commands for the female character make the male body move. Essentially backseat driving.

Female carrying female would be same embrace we normally use, if its added in. Guy carrying guy would be the guy being carried is slung over the shoulder like he is a wounded soldier in the movies.

Now when it comes to the armor...

Arcane Armor and Light Armor are the most revealing, while Heavy Armor actually covers up a good portion of the body on female characters.

Arcane armor is pretty much just clothing, so could just be changed to be more robe like, or make it so that when your character is wearing a cloak, they are actually wearing a cloak to cover up how much skin is shown. Light Armor could use expanding at least to cover more of the body, and not be a clone of arcane armor except for coloring since it is more about resistance without sacrificing freedom of movement.

Heavy Armor for females is mostly fine.

One thing I would like to see, is the ability to pick up and teleport those who have been knocked out back to town so a cleric can get to them.
    yeah i think that would be great but limit it to like ppl with a higer level and add mp cost and teleport regen time.

yeah the armor is really revealing but its not too bad... the only thing i want changed is actually being able to see the cape and helm/hat... modles would be nice but skins work too (especially for thosee with slow computers)
    im a girl (duh!) and i am not as strong as my bf but i cirtanly can carry him ez. so embrace should have more options. carrying should be allowed and with manadrain for dead ppl.
  • Ariahla - Heavens Tear
    Ariahla - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I just had an idea. I don't remember if this was mentioned before, but look at the time this was set in. It's sorta a medieval kind of thing. And if it were really those times, when it came for a guy or a girl to carry the other, the guy would carry the girl. Not because he was better but because it is the gentlemanly thing to do. (Although generally the guy was stronger.) Riding on steeds should be so that either guy or girl could take the partner on their steed. And with flying both genders should be able to carry the other, just for practicality.

As for the people who think it's unfair to have only heterosexual relationships, look at the times. In those days, guys went with girls. Nowadays many are doing whatever they want. But this is realistic for the times. If you wanted to be fair, you'd have to allow people to marry animals or even themselves, because that happens in the real world. But no. Let's keep the realism here.

The ONLY issue I think should be discussed in regards to sexism is the clothing. Most of what girls wear is designed to be flirtatious and provocative. Same as nearly every other MMORPG out there. But here's the thing. More guys play video games than girls. And more teenagers than adults. Perhaps barely on both accounts. So the game designers are catering to the biggest audience: male teenagers who, generally, kinda lika that stuff. I personally think that it should be reduced a bit or even have some armors that are entirely unprovocative. But I know that there will still be some because they want to cater to the audience.

So, in conclusion, the only things that I think need revision are both genders carrying people on steeds, both genders being able to fly the other, and the provocativeness of female outfits should be toned down. If you disagree, please no ranting like Zehethos did early in the topic. It does nothing for you and makes you look like an idiot, or at least a fool. And if you can't argue rationally then you should leave. And, for the record, GUYS ARE GENERALLY MORE PHYSICALLY CAPABLE THAN GIRLS! b:pleased It's a fact, not just an opinion. That's how we were designed. Get over it.
  • Some_guy - Heavens Tear
    Some_guy - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    ur making feminists look bad, its just a game.
  • stormhydra
    stormhydra Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Yeah true, it is a game. Even though it has "WORLD"in it, it doesnt make it a real world...
    Hehe, some people on the forums are funny. I wanna put them in a jar and keep them as pets. b:pleased
    Steam Acc - Blugblugy || Steam Nickname - Blugyblug ||Xfire - Blugyblug || - Call of Duty 4/Modern Warfare 2/COD: Black Ops - Blugyblug ||League of Legends - Blugyblug||Forsaken World - Coalescence (mage)
  • Xietri - Heavens Tear
    Xietri - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I agree on the matter that the normal holding position would look wied with girl-pick up-guy. I'm not so much into the sexist part, (yes, I admit guy's are GENERALLY stronger) but the usefullness. Say I want to show a friend where a mob is on my Nub Cleric, which I have wnated to do before, I have to lead them on the long trip around the cliff-like areas not to mention the agro mobs. (Especially with the dreaming stronghold area, whihc has heaps of cliffs to get around). A guy can just pick them up and fly them right to it.

Clothes? Very... revealing. I'm 13. I personally don't want to look like a ****, even on a MMO, and since many parents are iffy about this stuff, the younger gamers like me get cut off. Also, one more question...

How many girls do you know can walk, let along run, with 9-inch heels on?!?!?! Without breaking something? Let along fight with a huge hammer bigger than she is... Not that I'm a hammer- wielder XD
  • Bows_Spirit - Lost City
    Bows_Spirit - Lost City Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Well you know what, you need to shut your trap little girl! I think we can do anything we want and I think you need to watch your language young lady! I'd for one think that Females should have a right to carry a man and no this isnt in the dark ages. I think your being more melodramatic when you posted your stupid words on this topic! This isn't RuneScape you little 5 year old so please go back to that game and live in it and go find a girlfriend.

woah woah woah you say all of that but who sis the one all angry and uptight so easily?
  • silverkitty
    silverkitty Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    gonna have to quote myself from another thread here:

a) they don't tell you when making a character that there will be gender limitations on certain actions.
    b) embracing gives a chi advantage
    c) embracing allows people to fly the flightless or the slower

all this could be addressed simply in one of two ways:

1) remove the restriction on who can embrace whom (which the devs said will never happen)
    or
    2) remove the chi gain, limit movement speed to slower of the two embraced characters, prohibit flight unless both players are able to fly on their own (I think this would be the most fair - especially because it gets rid of _free chi_ when I usually have to cast spells like mad to build it up)
    or
    3) inform players during character creation, just as they are informed of class advantages and disadvantages, that there are gender advantages and disadvantages (specifically, female characters can't be as helpful as males in some circumstances) (this would be easiest to implement of course)
    or
    4) separate carrying from embracing - have a carry for chi/flight/movement which is more like fireman's carry (over the shoulder) which anyone can do - and the loving embrace carry which is like the current one (this sidesteps the hobophobia issue somewhat and is fair. removes confusion for newbies when the button is labelled "embrace" but the message is "would like to carry you". and has the advantage of eventual potential expansion to "can fireman's carry someone's body to a safe place for resurrection". this would take the most work to implement)

to me it's not a sexism issue, it's an issue of advantages given arbitrarily on something that's not advertised as having certain restrictions or enhancements.
  • Zethanal - Heavens Tear
    Zethanal - Heavens Tear Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Well you know what, you need to shut your trap little girl! I think we can do anything we want and I think you need to watch your language young lady! I'd for one think that Females should have a right to carry a man and no this isnt in the dark ages. I think your being more melodramatic when you posted your stupid words on this topic! This isn't RuneScape you little 5 year old so please go back to that game and live in it and go find a girlfriend.

Ignore that part what I said.... I didnt knew what I was talking about...
    "Death is just a new path, a path everyone has to take." -Gandalf
  • Zehethos - Heavens Tear
    Zehethos - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I think it's ironic that you criticised her for being melodramatic; but what's even more ironic is the ending. Implying that she needs to grow up, when you're the only person in this thread who's been so immature as to sling around insults like that?

I edited my post... I didnt mean to say that!!! I am sorry b:sad
    [EDIT: Okay, not quite the only one, but you definitely hold the record for the highest insult : post ratio]

Not anymore. I re-edited it.
    I am a wraith army commander. I command the Wraiths. I order them to kill. I order them to attack. I order them to tell them to shut up. I order them to do anything I tell them to do. I killed many people. You might be next.
    edited January 2009
    markillian wrote: »
    lol Zenethos strikes again! Yet another stupid comment.
    Oh great Markillian insulted me for a EDITED post! Yet another stupid comment.

And BTW: Its ZEHETHOS now ZENETHOS. b:thanks
    I am a wraith army commander. I command the Wraiths. I order them to kill. I order them to attack. I order them to tell them to shut up. I order them to do anything I tell them to do. I killed many people. You might be next.
  • Sanshiru - Lost City
    Sanshiru - Lost City Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    arinoa, if you don't like the way the chars look and call it sexist, why then playing it?
    due to the way the game looks people are playing it. yes of course also the gameplay is a big part why people choose it, but would you want to play this game if all looked like nuns or priests, or just sticks moving around?
    no thanks.
    it would be the same as if a deeply religious person would forbid everyone to wear a bikini at the beach or skirts in summer.
    if you think the way the chars look is wrong then i would suggest you play some other game, instead of changing it completely.
    .: Being able to read and think at the same time is an advantage :.
  • Sanshiru - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    sorry for the double post but i cannot edit for some reason :S

here what i have to say:
    PS: about the argument of kids playing this game:
    parents are responsible for their kids. if i as parent would think a game is too sexist, then i simply won't allow my kid to play it. and if you as parent failt to explain to your kid that this is simply a game and not real life (never seen a werepanda before irl..) then you lack not the game.
    edited January 2009
    ^ +1 b:victory
  • EriQween - Lost City
    EriQween - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I think its sexist how they make the female clothing so skimpy.
  • anxt
    anxt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I love the sexy clothes, and think there is nothing to be ashamed about the female or male body. If you think there is something wrong, then simply dont play or allow children to run free on the internet and doo what they want. if as a parent you let them download and play free games online, then a 3d skimpy clothes woman is the least of your worries.
  • Sanshiru - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    arinoa, if you don't like the way the chars look and call it sexist, why then playing it?
    due to the way the game looks people are playing it. yes of course also the gameplay is a big part why people choose it, but would you want to play this game if all looked like nuns or priests, or just sticks moving around?
    no thanks.
    it would be the same as if a deeply religious person would forbid everyone to wear a bikini at the beach or skirts in summer.
    if you think the way the chars look is wrong then i would suggest you play some other game, instead of changing it completely.

this goes for you aswell ariqween.

it's your choice to buy one of the dresses which are not 'too skimpy' and make your char with less bust size if you dislike the look of the gear.
    if you and also the starter of this thread go outdoors, do you point finger as well at every female dressed in short skirts and tops in summer?
    i agree there are some really badly dressed, but you can't compare this to this game. so far all clothes i've seen are pretty nice and not at all looking skimpy/**** or however you want to name it.

also if any female feels offended by the way the clothes look, here two things:
    1) why playing if a game offends you?
    2) gee.. this is a game.. fantasy, not reality, you know?

sometimes i really feel like people do live in games too much..

does a tiger feel offended as well because ingame there are weretigers?
    maybe we should ask them..

btw: how many people do you think feel offended because you are not able to spell your name properly? do you see anyone telling you to change or even forcing you too?

@anxt: very well said. i think there are other things to worry about than sexy clothing ingame. i am more worried about all those 9 years old i see running around in mini skirts wearing makeup together with their moms here in scotland.
  • sinistervii
    sinistervii Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Kay I just gotta get some things clear... o_o

For starters: Armor.
    Ladies be honest with yourselves, would you look like a walking trashcan in fullbody armor like men? Or look really dashing with lighter clothing? Would a girl REALLY wear something like a fullplated armor covering their entire body? In theory: Yes they would for protection... so something of that makes sense... But that's not my point, do you wanna be good lookin'? Or feel protected but look like a walking trashcan? It's a game and like all other games, armors appearence doesnt matter. Its fantasy afterall! If you dislike the fact that your skin is showing then imagine that a superpowerful (Not to mention INVISIBLE) energyfield is covering and protecting your entire bodies! Problem solved you're well protected and you're still lookin' good! Hey it is fantasy afterall, whats the problem with free thinking? ;D

Secondly:
    I do agree that you should be able to carry other people both male and female on mounts, But I am not really satisfied about holding a man in my arms though...*Shiver* >< It would be okay if I could just hang a rope around his neck and fly off just to get him to where he wants to go, or if it was a mount I could just make the mount pick him up with it's mouth or if it was a werebeast I could toss him over its back having him lie there like a sack.
    My point in this is that men should be able to carry men and females should be able to carry females-"ON MOUNTS" , I do NOT like the idea of males carrying another male nor do I enjoy the idea of a female carrying a female in their hands. I know I might sound a little sexist now, but I am speaking my mind now like im supposed to do.
  • Zethanal - Heavens Tear
    Zethanal - Heavens Tear Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It would be okay if I could just hang a rope around his neck and fly off just to get him to where he wants to go

LOL... That just made my day!!!!
    "Death is just a new path, a path everyone has to take." -Gandalf
  • TyberHUN - Sanctuary
    TyberHUN - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    oh at barbarians could can be have same sex embace from lvl9(tiger form)
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Did your husband let you onto the forums? Stop complaining about the tiniest perceived sexist aspects of the game and fix him a meal.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Myai - Heavens Tear
    Myai - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    Did your husband let you onto the forums? Stop complaining about the tiniest perceived sexist aspects of the game and fix him a meal.

oh my god... THAT RIGHT THERE WAS SEXIST! Men love to cook too, and not all of the wives are the cooks in the duo. b:angry

NO ONE on here ever said that a frail bunny veno would be able to pick up a giant barbarian. But why can't the girls hug each other? I hug my friends all the time. Why can't guys pat each other on the back or wrap their shoulder around the other guy? I've seen guys do it before! And they weren't ****. heck, my two best guy-friends did a weird hugging thing yesterday, what is it called? right! A friendly head-lock! Why can't guys do that? Since some guys don't see the reason to be able to stand showing any weakness, head lock the other guy instead of embracing him! God, you men are so difficult.
This discussion has been closed.