Is this game sexist? Definatley yes. Suggestions...

Comments

• evrilysis
    evrilysis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    trillion wrote: »
    No. xP

If people want to "waste" their time complaining and petitioning for a change that more than likely won't happen, then let them do so. If it does get changed or it doesn't, does it really bother you that much? Suggestions show that the players like the game enough to actually give input that would help keep them playing, as opposed to just moving on to the next grindfest--which is better for the company. (Though I really wish more logic was applied to these kinds of suggestions so that they don't seem like wishful thinking)

I agree with you: more than likely nothing's going to change, but I'm normally of pessimistic about this kind of thing (esp. when it involves foreign-based game development companies). I severely doubt the devs will go through the trouble to change so much coding and programming just for us unless they believe it will earn them a lot of cash in the end.

However, there's another f2p game I play that has multiple versions (with it's home devs in Taiwan I believe), and I DO know that the devs of that game created version-specific items and events for their other versions. And I know that the American version has a large petition to implement same-sex marriages, which was sent up to the devs by the GMs (to which the devs pretty much said "We'll work on it when we have time", to which I take as "don't expect it for another 5 years"). :P

Yes, I find the game is sexist. I hate that my female characters have such limited "extra" functions as opposed to the males. And even though I'm a guy, a lot of the clothing on the females irk me (particularly how non-protecting the heavy armor looks, how much skin nearly every armor shows, and the pain of watching my character run around in high-heels).

But I've played a lot of games and I have become jaded to this kind of thing. It happens everywhere.......what can I say...? :/ In the end it's a game, and while there are some real life connections, suspension of disbelief is the norm. There's no way to please everyone, unfortunately. -shrugs-

Out of what I've read, the only thing I think would even remotely get changed by the devs would be the addition of more modest female clothing, but I'm certain all of that will be Boutique only and I doubt they'll change the armor designs. I'd rather they fix whatever issues and bugs that permeate the game more than I would like to see my female characters and players achieve the same advantages that males have... Or rather, that I would like to see the issues fixed first, THEN we go around to getting these design suggestions pushed through.

On a minor note, I like cabbit's "mew"s, but I'm fond of weird forum quirks like that :P

tl:dr version- The game's sexist, but threads like these are a dime a dozen on video game boards, and with an establised foreign company at this game's helm, I don't think this suggestion will go anywhere. However, I don't like my pessimism to deter people from trying to go for it. After all, trying to get change to occur is better than doing nothing.

-if my post was confusing, I apologize-

-The only thing that bothers me is the slow speed in responses. There's too big of a time lapse between trolling sessions.

-PWE is making more than enough money with its inflated premium mall. The loss of a small handful of people that think the game is sexist based on the design of female armor and a small game mechanic won't even put a chip in its earnings.

-Sure, they'd like to keep people around so that they make more money, but they honestly do not care. In fact, the whole suggestions forum was implemented for the heck of it than anything else. Did you guys honestly think that they were going to change the game for you guys? Small, minor adjustments are the most that will ever happen, nothing on this scale.

-Redesigning all of the female armors? That's laughable at best.

-Your case of GMs actually sending the requests to the devs is a rare case, and even so, it's a much smaller modification than what's being asked for here.

-Your opinions on the design of the armor are your opinions. But I'm convinced that the number of players that enjoy the current armor designs by far outweighs the number of players that don't.

-I agree on your point that the only "modest" clothing that will be available to female characters will have to be future boutique items.

In the end, it's still the same. The thread is pointless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Well ... they could of course drop the carrying altogether. That would take care of the problem without redesigning any armour models and animations.
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    That wouldn't change your armour complaint at all.

They're not going to add, modify or delete any part of the game.

Get it in your heads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markillian
    markillian Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    evrilysis wrote: »
    That wouldn't change your armour complaint at all.

They're not going to add, modify or delete any part of the game.

Get it in your heads.

too true

and getting rides from ppl on their mounts would let me do so much less work too

oh well
  • Erro - Heavens Tear
    Erro - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Your observations are valid. Most mmos are designed for adolescent males. You know, they are the ones who build female toons with **** larger then their heads, and then prance them around naked. They are the ones who don't believe your female, act lewd, have the biggest swords and are out to prove "mine is bigger then yours" anyway they can.
    I really don't care if I can hug a guy in game, I have real life and do my hugging there. As for marriage in game...plaheeez...that is just a way for the kids to justify cybersex. Besides there is no way you can ensure faithfulness so what's the point?? I don't think any of it has a place in game. If I want Sims I will play it, if I want Match.com I will go there, if I want sex, I will grab a live body. If mmos are anyone's main platform for social interaction, then I suggest you step away from the keyboard and shut ur pc down.
    I am sure you know there are a ton of free sims-type games out there where females as well as males can initiate actions, such as hugging, building a virtual wardrobe, getting married and having cybersex. But That isn't what This game is all about.
  • crashtestdummy
    crashtestdummy Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I can see not picking up men and carrying them around... plz tell me when you pick up your man and carry him around. Although the elves would be useful for transporting humans around. But I can't see them picking up barbarians. Giving rides however I understand. Giving rides male/male female/female fine... carrying even... I would not however want children exposed to **** or **** acts. Maybe to some people it's not a big deal. Don't want to hear the arguments for or against it. It's not for you to decide when to expose someone's child to that sort of behavior. It's already bad enough that the teleport masters are covered merely by tattoos.
  • cabbitprincess
    cabbitprincess Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I can see not picking up men and carrying them around... plz tell me when you pick up your man and carry him around. Although the elves would be useful for transporting humans around. But I can't see them picking up barbarians. Giving rides however I understand. Giving rides male/male female/female fine... carrying even... I would not however want children exposed to **** or **** acts. Maybe to some people it's not a big deal. Don't want to hear the arguments for or against it. It's not for you to decide when to expose someone's child to that sort of behavior. It's already bad enough that the teleport masters are covered merely by tattoos.

In my opinion a game like this children shouldn't play. In fact if I had kids mew i'd never let them play this. This game is DEFINITELY not for children.
  • Vergeltung - Lost City
    Vergeltung - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2008

In my opinion a game like this children shouldn't play. In fact if I had kids mew i'd never let them play this. This game is DEFINITELY not for children.

Why?

My little sister was not scared seeing "people"/"living beings" die in WoW, sie was only someway interested.
    Not even in CSS. XD

But she was frightened to death seeing Chihiro's parents beaten up as pigs. (Spirited Away)

**** are not a problem for kids either.
    But it can be told them to be.
    Perfect World International Forum
    > Suggestion Box
    >Poll: Do you want to be able to change the Hotkeys?
    ThreadID: 85871
    Some comments would be nice.
    And votes.
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008

QFT.

The attitude (of adults) that **** is ok as long as the children don't have to see it, is somewhat hypocritical.
  • narulordofevil
    narulordofevil Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I do like the factthat male elfs can give female char's flghts but i dislike the way that female elfs cant give lifts to ther females or males and that males cant give other males lifts.

Ok i can understand why my little elf cant lift a male beast werewolf or similar but human males and females and venomancer etc are all resnable small and u would think it more than possible.

I would like this more as a gaming quality improvement than a sexist thing although it isnt just sexist its unfair to those who are **** and **** same way to famle char's cant get married.

Realy i just want to play with my freinds without haveing to wait half an hour for the to walk around the map to get to the top of the cliff.

^^ anyway i hope this is improved becouse at the moment me and my freinds have to find a helpful male elfto help ^^
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Why?

My little sister was not scared seeing "people"/"living beings" die in WoW, sie was only someway interested.
    Not even in CSS. XD

But she was frightened to death seeing Chihiro's parents beaten up as pigs. (Spirited Away)

Oh I'm all for the LGBT mew, it's not that. It's just the clothes are soo... well if I had a little girl I wouldn't want her to think she had to dress this way to get anywhere in society. And I wouldn't want my little boy to think because of the games sexism that he was any better than the girls mew. I know all games have some of this problem, but this is by far the most sexist MMO I have EVER seen. And I would hate to expose children to this travesty of human rights mew. Also I know tons of kids of ****, ****, bisexual, and transgender parents and they accept things just fine. Just if like that link said, if people do that, then yes kids will learn from their parents. I was lucky enough to realize talk like that is ridiculous, but not all kids realize that, and I feel sorry for them in that environment mew ;_;
  • markillian
    edited October 2008
    why do you keep on saying mew are you a cat?
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    markillian wrote: »
    why do you keep on saying mew are you a cat?
    Why not mew? xD Honestly though if you really want to know it's because me and Bunny are the same person, just alters or split personalities if you will mew. My spirit animal is a cat, and Bunny's is a bunny, my nickname is Kitty but both our real names are Chelsea, which is our real name mew. We call ourselves a cabbit princess because together we'd be a cat and bunny combined. We are a very spiritual person and are really in touch with our spirit animal's mew so for some reason we seem to act like our animal counterpart mew. And our ages add up to our physical age mew, which is weird as well mew. But yeah we're not joking, we're not making this up this is a real psychological thing mew ^^
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    Why not mew? xD Honestly though if you really want to know it's because me and Bunny are the same person, just alters or split personalities if you will mew. My spirit animal is a cat, and Bunny's is a bunny, my nickname is Kitty but both our real names are Chelsea, which is our real name mew. We call ourselves a cabbit princess because together we'd be a cat and bunny combined. We are a very spiritual person and are really in touch with our spirit animal's mew so for some reason we seem to act like our animal counterpart mew. And our ages add up to our physical age mew, which is weird as well mew. But yeah we're not joking, we're not making this up this a real psychological thing mew ^^

****ing furry.

Case closed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    ****ing furry.

Case closed.

No case closed, will you please go bug someone else though mew? You're getting to be very annoying >> I told you I'm not a furry, please go shove your bigotry elsewhere I have no desire to talk to you anymore mew ^^
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    Why not mew? xD Honestly though if you really want to know it's because me and Bunny are the same person, just alters or split personalities if you will mew. My spirit animal is a cat, and Bunny's is a bunny, my nickname is Kitty but both our real names are Chelsea, which is our real name mew. We call ourselves a cabbit princess because together we'd be a cat and bunny combined. We are a very spiritual person and are really in touch with our spirit animal's mew so for some reason we seem to act like our animal counterpart mew. And our ages add up to our physical age mew, which is weird as well mew. But yeah we're not joking, we're not making this up this is a real psychological thing mew ^^

Full of fur*******
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Evrilysis, I know you're only interested in the conversation to "troll" by your own admission, but keep the profanity and lackluster discourse out of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grothiniel
    grothiniel Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Precisely my point with the Classes - magic-based classes don't 'work out' - they're strength (typically) is quite low. So if you're going to do any restrictions, it makes more sense to base it on Class or Strength.

If they're using magic, it should be draining MP, just like when they fly.

For better immersion ... of course a lot of things are complete fiction, and have to be (or the game wouldn't be much fun!) But if you stretch things too far (or for no good reason), it's hard to get into - just too unbelievable. Imagine if the snow was red, the sky yellow, grass blue ... it'd make it harder to put yourself in this world. I'm not trying to justify the carrying rules, just pointing out that reality has a place, even in a work of fiction.

Now, as I said before - I see no reason for any restrictions to carrying on Land or on Quest/Cash mounts. Possibly natural Elf wings, but if so based on Class or Strength - not Sex. Or at the very least, it should cost double the MP to carry someone.

I just had to give this a bump as the single most logically, patiently, and persuasively written reply thus far.
    I agree. b:victory
  • Sifow - Sanctuary
    Sifow - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    Evrilysis, I know you're only interested in the conversation to "troll" by your own admission, but keep the profanity and lackluster discourse out of it.

That's modding? I thought mods were supposed to prevent/deal with trolling and rude behavior, not tell them it's OK if they don't use profanity. At least on every other forum I've been on it's like that.

I also agree with what Zolaren said. I have no idea why it wasn't implemented like this in the first place. Either this or equal carrying no matter what.
  • smoo
    smoo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Embracing: It just doesn't make RP sense to have a tiny character carry a huge one around. If there are different SIZES of male, and a female is bigger, than sure. But having a tiny veno carry a huge barb around would look ridiculous, and the devs should maintain immersion, which means not letting characters appear to carry loads that would snap their spines. (Weapons and breast-size excluded!)

Male veno and female barbarian: I am for it. Why not? Still, think what it would take create the graphical resources to actually MAKE it. If they can, I really hope they would.

Female barb: They would have to make a few female-looking animal-ish head, tack them on a normal-female body, and slap on a few new textures. Militant catgirls, I dunno.

Male Veno: Take a male human, slap on kitty (or whatever) ears, tack on up-scaled female veno tails and call it a day.

And poof, there you have it, all the furries can go nuts.
  • narulordofevil
    narulordofevil Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    grothiniel wrote: »
    I just had to give this a bump as the single most logically, patiently, and persuasively written reply thus far.
    I agree. b:victory

I have to agree with this text. i also like the idea that if an elf carrys someone the mana usage rate increases becouse it just seems to make sence that more magic would get used to fly someone else.

Also why dont you have it that if your strength is bellow a certain level you get charged mana instead, so you can only carry them for as long as your magic holds out or as long as your charecter is strong enogh^^

Just an idea
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »

Will do. <3

This thread has been over for a few pages, actually since it was posted.

Changes won't happen so there's no point in keeping it going.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shroudedfury
    shroudedfury Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    AGREED!

When i do find me a fille i want to be able to hold her hand and stuff.. The ability to buy a house would be nice too, not just running around the place lol.

Heck if this place needed some help building stuff like fantasy houses and animations, etc, i've been doing 3D design for 6 years and i wouldn't ask for a penny either i just love doing that sort of stuff but there's no way to apply to join sadly *sigh*
  • Synonizir - Heavens Tear
    Synonizir - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    If you think the game has so many sexist problems [which they are NOT going to change] Then why don't you jsut leave? and make our lives easier without going def listening to you.
  • Carolinesivi - Heavens Tear
    Carolinesivi - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I'm not in the mood to type in all absurds I have read from all the females in here but here's another why:

Girls shouldnt carry men because...

They have a terrible sense of direction. : )

PS: I love your trolling evrilysis. Makes me remember the times I used to play L2.
  • Venoblood - Heavens Tear
    Venoblood - Heavens Tear Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I'm not in the mood to type in all absurds I have read from all the females in here but here's another why:

Girls shouldnt carry men because...

They have a terrible sense of direction. : )

Right - which is why women are found to have less accidents than men in traffic, and why men never stop to ask for directions if they have no clue as to where they are going.

Hmm, think about that.
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    Right - which is why women are found to have less accidents than men in traffic, and why men never stop to ask for directions if they have no clue as to where they are going.

Hmm, think about that.

Easily answered.

They're in the kitchen where they belong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Venoblood - Heavens Tear
    Venoblood - Heavens Tear Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Easily answered.

They're in the kitchen where they belong.

Yet another sexist, tsk tsk. Of course, I'm guessing you're the typical jokester who believes in pulling sexist jokes out of their backside to keep themselves going, but I'd rather waste my time with people who understand women better.

Good luck later in life, really, as I'll be the one laughing when you ask a female worker why they "aren't in the kitchen."
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    Good luck later in life, really, as I'll be the one laughing when you ask a female worker why they "aren't in the kitchen."

"Who cut the chain?" is more practical I think.

But this thread has been long over, just let it die already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markillian
    edited October 2008
    women are hot

men are not

I just rhymed
This discussion has been closed.