Post your Wizard Thoughts/Experience Here

Options
Zeonus - Heavens Tear
Zeonus - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Wizard
Hey. Just had an idea to make a thread for newcomers and anyone interested about the Wizard class. A thread that all Wizards, level 1 to 105, PvP PvE servers, pure builds, hybrids, and so on, can post in. The whole goal here is to give people insight on Wizards. Keep in mind, keep their level in mind. A level 1 may say he is 1 hitting everything and that Wizards do...but an 80 would say much differently (I'm talking PvE...we do have a tendancy to one hit in PvP ^_^). So keep their level in mind, the higher it is, the more experience they have.

My person thoughts on the Wizard....I love this class. I play a pure build and everyone says it keeps you with such low Physical Defense, and low HP. All my gear is crafted 2-3star with 2-3 sockets each, filled with physical resistance shards, as well as a crafted resistance as well. I use the Stone Barrier, because we need all the defense we can get. I wouldn't advice using it if you are a robe build, since the bonus you get from it won't be enough to save you money (Hp pots vs Mp pots). But if you have enough money, just put Physical Resistance shards in, it will amplify a lot. My stone barrier is at level 6 right now, and it helps so much. I have nearly 1k Physical Resistance, and considering pure build Wizards generally kill things (without Jonas Blessing) in about 3-4 hits, they will always get 1-2 hits on us, unless we use Phoenix/Distance Shrink+Gush, which really isn't MP efficient. I just prefer taking that hit and Morning Dewing it every couple hits, because they don't hit me very hard.

PvP wise, I am too low to give any proper judgement, and won't even attempt. Keep in mind I play on a PvE server.

PvE wise...I love the Wizard too. I out DPS a lot of pure dex archers, and pretty much any other class, combined with my good (for a Wizard) Physical Defense, ranged attacks, Distance Shrink, and Phoenix, I'm having a lot of fun and never dying.

That's all I really have to say at the moment. I am only 40 and in a PvE server, and this is my highest character, so don't take my word for anything. I'm just saying how my play experience is at this level.

I am interested to see everyone else's thoughts.
Post edited by Zeonus - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Haha, I remember when I was first trying to break 1k pdef back at 3x. It wasn't for the mobs though, it was for the silly ganks...which oddly I didn't experience much of during 4x or 5x aside from being KoS'd. Now I have so much pdef that when I have fashion over my armor, a lot of people try to convince me that I'm a light armor wizard...until I hit them. Then they freak. ):

Wizards are an extremely dynamic class, and honestly for anyone 60+ (especially with lots of PvP/PK and TW experience), there's way too much to say. Methinks an "Ask the Wizards" setup would do nicely, though. ;D
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • $ian - Lost City
    $ian - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hey,

I'm a level 54 Wizard (My avatar is bugged), I'm a pure Mag Wizard. I have also tried VIT/MAG and LA build, but this one is the one that suits my playing style the most.
    I'm in the PvP server, but I've never have problems surviving. I rarely die while PvE'ing, well, I rarely get hitted (I don't use Distance Shrink), since I'm pure Mag, my HP is not that high so I prefer not staying in front of the monster looking at it hitting me. I use the casting time (The delay you have to wait till you can use another skill after the Channeling is over) to move back a little, that way I don't have problems at fighting. I won't bother to PvP till higher levels, can't say much about that yet.
    I choosed Wizard because I like the magic, and I play a magic class on all the MMORPGs I play. ;P

Nothing much else to say for now...
  • Krel - Heavens Tear
    Krel - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    i love my wiz though he really isnt pure magic because at lvl 58 and 70+% i have like 42 in vit and some stuff in dex..str mainly armors but i have enough in str to hold back on adding anymore for armors,I did that ahead of time.So at each lvl i just throw all to magic once more since im content with my vit.I hit hard and man its hard as hell not to get aggro vs a boss in the fb's haha..DD is so addicting..i advise getting a bronze-gold hp charm if you wantto be a famous tank mag :) or a lovely cleric (dolph) b:dirty

I am now creating a full magic attack cleric.very interesting this build is!
    I luv my luvsalotb:dirty

Fear Me:I will and can unleash my true demon forum troll from at anytime..so beware.

Im A wizzie with godly looks and your all jealousb:bye
  • Elahim - Lost City
    Elahim - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    L59 (Nearly 60) Pure Int Wiz here. I must say things are kind of coming together for my Wizard now. Up to this point I have been rather cheap (and rather weak!), not really buying many nice armors/weapons for my character. As a result I have stockpiled several M coins and am now going to start to gear up properly. Up to late 4X I had a 100% PvE build, hadn't even put any SP into stone barrier. Since then I've been picking up equipment and getting some PvP skills. I am up to ~1850 HP (2400 HP with a high lvl barb buff) with 38% phys res (without any buffs except stone barrier, well into the 40s with other two buffs). Just finished my 59 cultivation quest and dropped the SP into sutra + divine pyrogram (now lvl 8) as well as the earth ultimate (for an upcoming TW). I can really see how wiz's are starting to pick up and get much better. I cant wait in 20ish levels when things really start to pick up.
  • rogz
    rogz Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    iv got a lvl 65 wiz on lost atm and my build was 2vit 3mag until lvl 50 with the exception of using str when needed for equips and i must say that was a superb build for startn off i thinks,as at lvl 30-40 i was touching the 2khp mark and wiz's do take alot dmg at low lvls this helped my heiro's alot and at lvl 60 destroytokyo[barb] who i think was 80+ when att me in Secret P could not kill me probly because them stuns didnt take lol but im sure he is used to 1 hittin mag's then at lvl 65 i reset to full int and im loving it,mobs that used to get hittin me dont but i cant imagine having to do them lower lvls without even a little bit of hp/def im sure alot wiz,s taking on the pure int build from the start get it really hard..
  • $ian - Lost City
    $ian - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    rogz wrote: »
    iv got a lvl 65 wiz on lost atm and my build was 2vit 3mag until lvl 50 with the exception of using str when needed for equips and i must say that was a superb build for startn off i thinks,as at lvl 30-40 i was touching the 2khp mark and wiz's do take alot dmg at low lvls this helped my heiro's alot and at lvl 60 destroytokyo[barb] who i think was 80+ when att me in Secret P could not kill me probly because them stuns didnt take lol but im sure he is used to 1 hittin mag's then at lvl 65 i reset to full int and im loving it,mobs that used to get hittin me dont but i cant imagine having to do them lower lvls without even a little bit of hp/def im sure alot wiz,s taking on the pure int build from the start get it really hard..

I'm pure Mag since the start and never had problem surviving.
  • snakehpoo
    snakehpoo Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    just started earlier today, already lv12. so far i'm enjoying wizards =P

the kill speed's decent, especially when you time the skills right so they overlap with no downtime between em. i should have that down by tomorrow with any luck

started out not knowing builds/gear/skills, so i started off with vit/mag. made a decent deerskin set though and got my build closer to what i wanted it to be XD; i'll probably end up going with a LA build and just keep an eye out for -requirement gear until i can grab a restat for the vit i added.

pecan12ol9.jpg
    no shield on or buffs, not bad for half a day's work ;o
  • Icy Ragnarok - Sanctuary
    Icy Ragnarok - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I currently and will likely until endgame when I can play with cash, have a Pure Mag build.
    103 mag or so currently, and I do really well damage wise. I can survive against difficult monsters with simple kiting.

As long as I have 1 member in my party, I can also do very well. Since, they get the aggro and I just sit back and slam with my ridiculous damage. Hurray for fast kills.

Only pain is when I am running low on Hp and Hp Pots, takes forever and a day to recover. Mana isnt as bad, since I constantly have Glacial Embrace active. (Ooh and to you people who don't think it is noticable, for me it saves A LOT of Mana in the end, it usually adds about 1/3 extra mana before I would normally run out).
  • bluewater
    bluewater Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I currently and will likely until endgame when I can play with cash, have a Pure Mag build.
    103 mag or so currently, and I do really well damage wise. I can survive against difficult monsters with simple kiting.

As long as I have 1 member in my party, I can also do very well. Since, they get the aggro and I just sit back and slam with my ridiculous damage. Hurray for fast kills.

Only pain is when I am running low on Hp and Hp Pots, takes forever and a day to recover. Mana isnt as bad, since I constantly have Glacial Embrace active. (Ooh and to you people who don't think it is noticable, for me it saves A LOT of Mana in the end, it usually adds about 1/3 extra mana before I would normally run out).

Couldn't you use wellspring to heal then put up glacial embrace and then meditate? That would take care of the hp problem and utilize the mana recovery speed.
    edited December 2008
    Options
    bluewater wrote: »
    Couldn't you use wellspring to heal then put up glacial embrace and then meditate? That would take care of the hp problem and utilize the mana recovery speed.

Not quite that level yet... *Points to Avatar*
  • bluewater
    bluewater Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Not quite that level yet... *Points to Avatar*

Oops. Should have paid attention to that.
  • Elronia - Heavens Tear
    Elronia - Heavens Tear Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Elronia was very hard too play untill Hit lvl 57, some of my skills where under developed and possibly still are. She can and does solo well enough and untill recently I never touched a charm. Thats taught me a few things about mana managment and finding a good spot where I cant get flanked by respawning mobs. Everythig changed at lvl 57 though. I had the coin and spirit spare too do some major skills buying. Still have two an a half pages of skills too upgrade though lol. She's in robes and can take a hit or two. She also has a pretty handy heal spell which comes in handy. I party up with a fellow guild mate when possible whom is playing a blade, same lvl damn good bodyguard. For abit of extra fun I try party up with another Wizard around same level and we have a blast. Nothing gets in range and things die so fast its a joke.
    At times it was hard work playing her but things changed like I said earlier at 57th level.
    Then i hit 59th and it was a whole new world agian...
    My 1st new skill was Black Ice Dragon strike and for a few days had been grinding foxwings over Etherblade. We'd just finished killing Chin an went back too grinding. I flew off te ledge and instantly spotted my prey, I cast the spell an got a lucky crit for 22k I was extatic.

Last thoughts keep plugging away, if your having trouble with mobs find a trusted friend from a melle class to watch your back, if your having problems with cetrain mobs go upgrade a skill or two. Having a maximized pyrogram and Gush at my lvl means I can deliver alot of damage in a short space of time.
    Now i fallen in love with the class all over again I just hit lvl 70 and im having a blast, The class is awsome keep it up.
  • Eshe - Sanctuary
    Eshe - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    new in the game... still learning the wiz... leveling up... :)
    i played wiz before in other games and mostly cleric... but im loving Eshe... i do solo all the time... Pure Int Wiz; then join groups for bosses and such... LOL...

see yah in-game... =^_^=
    b:cute *** Life can be bittersweet...
    but it is always Beautiful ***
    edited December 2008
    Options
    new in the game... still learning the wiz... leveling up... :)
    i played wiz before in other games and mostly cleric... but im loving Eshe... i do solo all the time... Pure Int Wiz; then join groups for bosses and such... LOL...

see yah in-game... =^_^=

Lol yeah. Against single monsters we pwn, but with High Aggro monsters, (damn werewolf spearmen), we need help b:cry
  • Mrbungle - Lost City
    Mrbungle - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    im pretty unhappy with my wiz right now.
    all monsters got so much hp, so i need endless time to kill and since i got no mp charm i have to sit very often.
    the quests give poor exp and take too long, grinding is boring.

it was really fun until ~50, but now its really slowly going on.
    i hope it gets better after 60 (if i will ever each that lvl)
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    im pretty unhappy with my wiz right now.
    all monsters got so much hp, so i need endless time to kill and since i got no mp charm i have to sit very often.
    the quests give poor exp and take too long, grinding is boring.

it was really fun until ~50, but now its really slowly going on.
    i hope it gets better after 60 (if i will ever each that lvl)

At 58 I started zhenning, if you can get a good group and zhen constantly then leveling mage is a breeze and pretty inexpensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    At 58 I started zhenning, if you can get a good group and zhen constantly then leveling mage is a breeze and pretty inexpensive.
    About how much exp per hour? And don't you burn a lot of MP hiero's?
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    About how much exp per hour? And don't you burn a lot of MP hiero's?

Mage is the cheapest of the channeling zhen classes (archers and priests use considerably more). At low levels it burns more MP zhenning than grinding, but not a tremendous amount more if I remember rightly. At high levels, it's CHEAPER to zhen.

At low 60s you're looking at 23-28% an hour if you're zhenning in a real zhen spot and don't get interrupted, basically Seaweed Thieves outside of Sanctuary. High 60s, go to southern YKD and zhen on the beach, should be pulling 20-25%, and when you hit 70 and it'll slow down considerably.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Wow..
    I've never even zhen partied..
    And now with Pandora's reply, it makes me feel like I've missed the good part of it =/
    All I've been doing is envoy quests / one man armies at Acephalic Riders.. =P
    Now i'm moving onto Orchid petalis.

In my opinion, Gush and pyrogram with a mage is almost enough to solo PvE most of the time. Haha... the other skills are luxury / pvp based.
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Got the Morning Dew Spell now.
    It seriously ups my survivability, and helps out when a party member has to sit down.
    I know it's low, but it's effective for its use. No matter how small or slow, (which is why I use it only between battles).
  • SionEltnam - Sanctuary
    SionEltnam - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I went light armour mage build, thinking that my survivability would be higher, but man, it's kinda getting tough to do things now, and it feels like if I'm not watching out, every second, I'll even lose the exp that I get from one quest before I complete another.

So pure int mage would be a better build for PvE ?
    I think that's what I'm gathering from this...
  • OriciAlyssa - Heavens Tear
    OriciAlyssa - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I like pure int for PvE myself but honestly wizard is a pretty hard class to solo with timnewise. Archers & Clerics my own level kill alot of things faster than I can. It just takes a while when u need to nuke/run/nuke/run when the archers can skill/pushback/skill/skill/pushback/etc.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I like pure int for PvE myself but honestly wizard is a pretty hard class to solo with timnewise. Archers & Clerics my own level kill alot of things faster than I can. It just takes a while when u need to nuke/run/nuke/run when the archers can skill/pushback/skill/skill/pushback/etc.

Clerics shouldn't kill anything faster than you if you're buffed; except maybe wood mobs as their metal spells do additional damage.

And don't forget, Will of the Phoenix is a knockback.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Clerics shouldn't kill anything faster than you if you're buffed; except maybe wood mobs as their metal spells do additional damage.

And don't forget, Will of the Phoenix is a knockback.

Force of Will also acts as a knockback. When mobs are hit with it, they run backward. It's rather odd, but very helpful.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • OriciAlyssa - Heavens Tear
    OriciAlyssa - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    this is true, but the time drain is mainly due to the running. Clerics spamming and just popping an insta cure is faster dps than nuke/run/nuke/run. And yeah wotp & fow is good but the wotf pushback isn't a whole lot of distance it buys u time for 1 more nuke pretty much and fow buys you enough time for 1 more spell if they're ranged or maybe 2 if melee.
  • Asmodai - Sanctuary
    Asmodai - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Well apparently.. i know that a clerics single arrow nuke deals alot of dmg to a wiz cause it is physical. And wizards pretty much gets owned at that part. However we obtain the amazing skill of essential sutra at transcendant. The 6 sec "no channeling" effect it brings is amazing. I pumped my divine pyrogram and it could deal hell lot of dmg, however the channeling was too long for a pvp. But with essential sutra, one divine, one glacial ensnare, one gush n a quick basic pyro is muuuch faster than a cleric's nukes. Just pray that u kill it in 6 seconds
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I guess it is time to update this for my experiences.

I am in currently a level range where I can solo nicely, but money is a serious pain.
    I can hardly pay enough for my normal skills I use (Main 3 Elemental Spells and Glacial Embrace). Grinding for items seems only inevitable...

=/
  • Jurai - Sanctuary
    Jurai - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    you have to kill things for there DQ items and sell them to the right person to get alot of this coin, this method only took me 3-4 days to come up with 900k
  • h3l1xang3l
    h3l1xang3l Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi, I'm Up, and this is currently my 3rd account on PW, i have a cleric account (started first) and a bm, and currently working on this lv 46 wizard. My experiences with wizard is that, undoubtedly, it can outhit any class with spell/damage ratio. For people who say wizard are super weak against physical attacks, well it's true, however, who says wizards needs to be hit? The damage wizards can deal will kill most mobs before they even get a chance to attack you, and for tougher bob, Distant Shrink/Knockback will constantly keep them afar. One huge tip tho, for longer quests/grinds on a single type monster, it's best to find the right combo spells to kill them before they hit you, then copy that into a hotkey, so you dont mess up timing your spells. So far, I've had no problems with surviving, and my HP charm rarely even ticks, although having it allows me to have a somewhat more reckless playing style XD. From what I've read for the other people, wizards kick even more butt in the future when double spark spells comes in.

*Some other tips*
    Start out with a high damaging spell (long channeling time wouldnt matter, since you are hitting first)
    Then try to slow down the monster (usually with gush)
    Then another quick damaging spell
    Finally finish it off with another spell (i usually do another gush)
    Watch out for monster's element type, exploit their weaknesses (dont fight fire with fire spells for example)
    If you want to level fast, MP Charm is a must (Glacial Embrace saves you a lot of charm, so max that fast)
    Dont bother spending pts on Vit, too little change to matter
    Dont bother spending pts on worthless skills like Pitfall, put spirit on skills that will maximize damage and minimize hp loss
  • Mrbungle - Lost City
    Mrbungle - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    h3l1xang3l wrote: »
    *Some other tips*
    Start out with a high damaging spell (long channeling time wouldnt matter, since you are hitting first)
    Then try to slow down the monster (usually with gush)
    Then another quick damaging spell
    Finally finish it off with another spell (i usually do another gush)

this may work early on but the monsters get too many hp so you wont kill them so easy.
    one of my combos is sandstorm - stone rain - fow / wop - sandstorm - stone rain.
    gush and pyro are too weak so i use them for fillers
This discussion has been closed.