Wth is a Carebear?

Options
betch
betch Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Is it a insult?

Because I sure as hell find it offensive when I want to play a PvE server just to avoid having to dealing with friends whining to me to come PK somebody back. What're we going to call people who want to play the PvP server?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IGN: Sheik
Class: Bard
Guild: Immortals
Post edited by betch on

Comments

• viserys
    viserys Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    QQ (WoW terminology)
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Just play w/e server you like, weather it be PVP or PVE. Whatever gives you the most enjoyment out of the game. Sometimes you have to ignore those individuals.

Btw: Carebear is a little kid tv show, that aired back in 80-90.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • stampede
    stampede Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Tenderheart_bear_large.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actions by RQ have led me to believe this, so RQ members get out of your conceited, stuck-up, world revolves around you, World ok? Worlds True and Only **** up there next to Hitler, Mao Zedong and many other dictators-RQ is now among them. Definition of harass: 1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. -darknin
  • tenkei
    tenkei Posts: 63
    edited August 2008
    Options
    sikozu wrote: »
    Just play w/e server you like, weather it be PVP or PVE. Whatever gives you the most enjoyment out of the game. Sometimes you have to ignore those individuals.

Btw: Carebear is a little kid tv show, that aired back in 80-90.

Ah yes, a personal favorite when I was 4-8 (Before I had a working computer, then went on to better things), along with the original Littlefoot before it became like a movie series.... Also got to say love Robot Chicken's use of it being how the "Rainbow State" came to be :)

In the irony of the insult though they are confirming the industries attention to all players wants.
  • viserys
    viserys Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    Options
  • reversal
    reversal Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    From Urban Dictionary...

Term applied by PvP (player vs. player) participants in an online role-playing game to those players are disinterested in PvP conflict. Usually derogatory.

Antonyms: Ganker, griefer, PK scum.
    Me and the boyz used to gank everybody at the crossroads, before the damned carebears got the rules changed.

1. A player who detests Player versus Player (PvP) gaming and whines about how it ruins their gaming enjoyment.

2. A player who is killed or has a loss through theft and then complains about player harassment.

3. A player who focuses their gameplay strictly on crafting or other non-competitve activity.

4. A player who is afraid of getting ganked by other gaming players.

5. Players more concerned with "coloring" their houses, clothing, names, etc... than with playing against other people in a competitve gaming environment.

6. A player who ruined the PvP MMORPG industry by complaining so much that PvP MMORPG development is rare.
    "I think everyone can agree that nerfing does no one any good, Except for the carebear that was bitching about getting killed by that class while fighting a mob."
  • godcrusher
    godcrusher Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    IMO
    (No, I never heard of the show...)
    There's nothing wrong with going to PVE server, though IMO would be that MMORPGs were made to PVP, at least in my interest. Yours can be different. A carebear IMO would be a useless and powerless prick. He'll only need to be cared, can't help himself, follows the easy ways... in other words, they're not competitive, lack of self confidence.

Though this is different from a casual gamer, a casual gamer still has the dignity and strength of himself but prefer a casual approach to the game, simpler and less plays. A casual gamer would fight if necessary and won't just go with the flow if he disagrees.
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    MMORPG:
    A massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of computer role-playing games (CRPGs) in which a large number of players interact with one another in a virtual world. The term MMORPG was coined by Richard Garriott, the creator of Ultima Online, the game credited with popularizing the genre in 1997.[1][2]

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a fictional character (often in a fantasy world),[3] and take control over many of that character's actions.[4] MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player CRPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world, usually hosted by the game's publisher, which continues to exist and evolve while the player is away from the game.

MMORPGs are very popular throughout the world.[5] Worldwide revenues for MMORPGs exceeded half a billion dollars in 2005,[6] and Western revenues exceeded US$1 billion in 2006.

CAREBEAR:
    The Care Bears are a set of characters created by American Greetings in 1981 for use on greeting cards. The original artwork for the cards was painted by artist Elena Kucharik. In 1983, Kenner turned the Care Bears into plush teddy bears.

Each Care Bear comes in a different color and has a specialized insignia on its belly that represents its duty and personality. This insignia was known as their "tummy symbol". The latest movie, Oopsy Does It! (2007), however, controversially renamed them "belly badges". Adding to the Care Bear family are the "Care Bear Cousins," which feature a lion, monkey, penguin, rabbit, and other such animals created in the same style as the teddy bears.

The Care Bears appeared in their own television series from 1985 to 1988, in addition to three feature films: The Care Bears Movie (1985), Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation (1986), and The Care Bears Adventure in Wonderland (1987).

In 2002, the bears were reintroduced with new toys. Made by Play-Along Toys, the new toys offered features such as illuminated bellies upon touch, aerobic bears, and glow-in-the-dark bears. As part of this comeback, the Bears have appeared in two computer-animated movies: Journey to Joke-a-lot (2004) and Big Wish Movie (2005).

In 2007, the bears were once again relaunched. The 25th anniversary of the toy line was commemorated in 2007, and the Oopsy Does It! movie was released in commemoration of the 25th anniversary. As of 2008, Care Bears are still being marketed.

The "Care Bears" trademark and the copyrights in the character designs are currently owned by Those Characters from Cleveland, part of American Greetings.[1] However, on July 23, 2008, American Greetings announced that the Care Bears (along with Strawberry Shortcake) would be sold to Cookie Jar Entertainment in an acquisition due to take place on September 30, 2008

Play the game how you like to play it. An MMO Is a game where you must work together alongside other players and just have fun. It is better to ignore false insults from others. =]
    Please have fun and do your best!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • betch
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I know what it is and all.. But it really upsets me when people use it as an insult.

"Oh little baby can't take PK nub carebear!" It's people like that I want to avoid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reversal
    reversal Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Then avoid em O.o;?

With my expeirence with RQ, they don't bite unless you step on their turf, meaning avoid them, and you won't even come in contact with them.

And the people who flame you for no reason, they are trolls.

But you are tech. a "carebear" to them, so I see no wrong.

If you don't like them calling you a carebear go to a PvE server or come up with some random PvP oriented slur...
  • roxy
    roxy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Hmm, it depends. Some people say it as an insult, and some people do not.

For me, if someone were to call me carebear in a game, I really don't care at all. I don't like to pvp others, so that's why I always end up in a pve server! =)
    6to4uv.jpg

To the world, you may be one person
    But to one person, you may be the world
  • godcrusher
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Be like Roxy, stick up to your own thoughts and opinion. Then you're not a carebear anymore :)
  • baifang
    baifang Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm of two minds regarding care bears and the term itself. For an RPG, I'm more PVE than PVP. I want to explore the world, learn its stories and take on the biggest and baddest of the NPC beasts out there. That doesnt cover challenges and the whole TW's aspect.

However, in the glorious sandbox that is EVE, I take the greatest of pleasures in hunting down and killing care bear miners and traders, gate ganking and suiciding battleships.

Its all about yourself mate. Do what makes you happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vanor
    vanor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Personally that's why I'm quite glad they are having both a PvP and PvE server.

I don't get into PvP much in MMO's, to me it just isn't worth it. If I want to PvP I'll play a FPS where taking someone out requires IMO a lot more skill then MMO PvP does. That means mostly PK'ing and duals... TW or other forms of mass PvP is a whole different thing.

But the nice thing about having different servers is it allows those who enjoy one style of play to play how they like best.

Don't like dealing with PK'ing and other types of PvP then play on the PvE server and you can avoid most of it. Like the thrill of PK'ing or being hunted then play on the PvP one.

But one thing I've found in my time playing online games of all sorts, there's always people in both groups who simply will never get along with people on the other side.
  • godcrusher
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I've learned that in all MMos there's always drama between 2 groups of people, usually 2 guilds or a majority v.s a threatening miniority.
  • zumi
    zumi Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    :confused: I have no idea what I am, I think PVP is kinda fun, yet if I get killed Im a carebear :o
    Its not that im a hippocrite or anything, its just that when PVP is concerned I find it idiotic and cowardly for a person in PK mode to kill some one who is a) a lower lvl than them or b) busy fighting monsters or doing a quest. I whine coz im one of those players who likes to take their time lvling - it got especailly annoying when I played Rohan ( I think it was Rohan o_O) where if you were pked you would lose xp and the immature loser ''Im higher than you, im pro- nar nar nar '' player would pk you when ur lower lvl or busy lvling or - even worse - when your afk. Then if i get my higher lvl char or someone higher or the same lvl to kill them, they wud run with their tails between their legs -_- Im not sure if that was how pk is suppose to work or not , to be honest i see it more as a revenge, friendly duel, or guild vs guild tool, not to go killing helpless people only to run when they are able to pk you back. My name for these people would be ''Stuck up Fools'' or ''Skilless Puppies'' becoz of the whole tail between legs thing LOL. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]今の愛 ♥
  • tenkei
    tenkei Posts: 63
    edited August 2008
    Options
    sealed wrote: »
    Robot Chicken??

sealed~

Yeah, that is Robot Chicken. It's a spin off of Snuggles Bear for a Laundry detergent product.

The Robot Chicken spin of the Carebears is when the original Carebears are plotting against the "Carebear Cousins". A person present a resort to them were the cousins can stay and not bother them, the original Carebears use it lure the cousins to a mass slaughter.

As penalty a person, whom I know I should recognize just don't, appears as a "godly like" being and punishes the carebears. They are turned into Fat drunk humans in a stupor and decends them to the place they end up calling New Jersey (aka Rainbow State) and that's Robot Chicken's goofy creation of how the state came to be.
  • piebandit
    piebandit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I dont know why people keep saying pvp or non pvp servers, both servers will have pvp, its Pk or non Pk.

I dont wanna go to the pk server so when im out there questing trying to level and such, some warrior flys down to me while im busy on a monster and kill me in the back, its just not fun for me.:(
  • godcrusher
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sigh if you don't like PVPs or any violent interaction with other players go play Maplestory >.>
  • zumi
    zumi Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    godcrusher wrote: »
    Sigh if you don't like PVPs or any violent interaction with other players go play Maplestory >.>

LOL XD

I like violent interaction, but i dont like being killed by a player when im fighting a mob, or being killed annoyingly by higher lvl players =/ Thats why im so stuck as to whether PVE or PVP coz I also still wanna pk people unexpectedly >=3 I can be evil like that.

And would PVE be boring eventually? O_O im sooo confused Dx Coz I always played PK server but there is too much drama and annoyance and random childish pk, yet i still wanna be able to PK - ahhhhh im so conflicted @_@
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]今の愛 ♥
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    zumi wrote: »
    And would PVE be boring eventually? O_O im sooo confused Dx Coz I always played PK server but there is too much drama and annoyance and random childish pk, yet i still wanna be able to PK - ahhhhh im so conflicted @_@

On a PvP server you can attack anyone you want, and everyone can attack you when they want (outside of safe zones). On a PvE server, players that turned PvP on can attack one another.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • betch
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I love PvP, what I don't like is when others try to bully people over 'KoS', etc. If I want to PvP i'll buy a few trumpets and hold a event in an areana to have good clean fun.

In a PvE server, people can't just KoS you and act-a-fool, they'll have to suck it up and act mature about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    To me, being called "carebear" = insult. To others, it isn't

Some say you can PK people that KS you on the PvP server, but on the other hand even if you PK them for that, what will it get you? A red name and some red-name-hunters who want your ekips :p
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • danubus37
    danubus37 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    carebear is what folks who get their jollies killing your avatar over and over call you when you dont want to join in their fun. I usually find their lack of intelligence enough to just laugh at them.

Cause it takes a lot of intelligence to gank.:rolleyes:
  • godcrusher
    edited August 2008
    Options
    soukyuu wrote: »
    To me, being called "carebear" = insult. To others, it isn't

Some say you can PK people that KS you on the PvP server, but on the other hand even if you PK them for that, what will it get you? A red name and some red-name-hunters who want your ekips :p

It gets you the thrill of revenge, yet revenge isn't sweet, it's void.
  • ishtori
    ishtori Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    reversal wrote: »
    From Urban Dictionary...

Term applied by PvP (player vs. player) participants in an online role-playing game to those players are disinterested in PvP conflict. Usually derogatory.

Antonyms: Ganker, griefer, PK scum.
    Me and the boyz used to gank everybody at the crossroads, before the damned carebears got the rules changed.

1. A player who detests Player versus Player (PvP) gaming and whines about how it ruins their gaming enjoyment.

2. A player who is killed or has a loss through theft and then complains about player harassment.

3. A player who focuses their gameplay strictly on crafting or other non-competitve activity.

4. A player who is afraid of getting ganked by other gaming players.

5. Players more concerned with "coloring" their houses, clothing, names, etc... than with playing against other people in a competitve gaming environment.

6. A player who ruined the PvP MMORPG industry by complaining so much that PvP MMORPG development is rare.
    "I think everyone can agree that nerfing does no one any good, Except for the carebear that was bitching about getting killed by that class while fighting a mob."

Revised Version:

1. A player who wish to enjoy the online environment, instead of killing each other.

2. A player who doesn't need to kill others to feed their ego. However dislike being harassed.

3. A player who wish to focus on activities that interest them, or may not have enough online time to do anything other than improving their character. However, the said player may or may not join PvP events that involve fair fighting.

4. A player who wish to not be bothered REPEATEDLY when trying to level or do quests.

5. A player who views competition as how well they can play the game in various areas instead of just one.

6. A player who challenge the PvP MMORPG industry to come up with ideas to make even PK enjoyable, however no one stepped up to the challenge.

See, two can play that game. I don't disagree with your view since its your view, not mine.

BTW I think I will do that again in another reply, but from a different perspective.
  • Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
    Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I'm not offended. Mainly because care Bears never lost in the TV show.. and when you can administer a beat town with a stare, what's offensive about being called a care bear?

There's much more colorful words one could be called. I believe Periwinkle is one.b:laugh

What does it matter really?
    "Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publius Syrius

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    PVP = TW
    Drama = PK
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.