Is this game sexist? Definatley yes. Suggestions...

Options

Comments

• Sereniama - Heavens Tear
    Sereniama - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Oh please...

Everyone just stop being pathetic and just get the facts straight.

The devs are VERY sexists about women because...

DEVS ARE PERVERTS! b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sou Sou Moutoku = The most badass **** in Anime History. Never diss Kohime Musou or die.
  • cabbitprincess
    cabbitprincess Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    markillian wrote: »
    lifting off ground =/= being able to carry (not by a long shot). Especially not over long distances. So that theory is not toast at all.

If you want to start talking about exceptions (instead of generalizations, which are the only thing that a game can be based on), things can really get out of hand.

I wonder if you could find a 3d MMORPG where the girls aren't scantily clad? Thats not gonna change no matter what cause the devs or teenage male players (in mmorpgs in general) get off on it too much. (its very sad but true)
    That was not the only point I had mew, also I realize that none of this sexism will change, I just stated the truth that this game IS sexist. Sure I still enjoy it, but my feminist side certainly has to bite her tongue while I do. I'll just wait until those clothes come out that I saw on that site for here, that I find really cute ^^
    Also yes she could carry him and did, in fact she could carry A LOT over long distances too. Lindsay was incredibly strong, and didn't even look it, she looks as skinny as I am, but she's stronger than all the guys I know xD
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Options
    you like it so you think that girls shouldn't have the choice about whether they look like a street you-know-what? Honestly I think the best idea in this thread has been to give female characters the choice of how they look in their armour.

implementing fully-clothed option ftw!

Side note, why doesn't anyone complain about it being sexist about guys? I mean there must be something... somewhere...

Fully clothed option YAY! EXACTLY mew!
  • yggdrayuril
    yggdrayuril Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Not to sound mean or anything but this... Is kind of beating a dead horse. Practically every single MMO in existence has girls either almost always in more revealing armor or have particular sets. It doesn't annoy me at least since I've just become so used to it.

Female video game characters/avatars are just designed that way. Sexist? Perhaps. But it's mostly a marketing thing - after all they know this increases a game's "sex appeal" ratio after all.

Though I haven't read this ENTIRE thread but I suppose the other points are just designer laziness.
  • markillian
    markillian Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That was not the only point I had mew, also I realize that none of this sexism will change, I just stated the truth that this game IS sexist. Sure I still enjoy it, but my feminist side certainly has to bite her tongue while I do. I'll just wait until those clothes come out that I saw on that site for here, that I find really cute ^^
    Also yes she could carry him and did, in fact she could carry A LOT over long distances too. Lindsay was incredibly strong, and didn't even look it, she looks as skinny as I am, but she's stronger than all the guys I know xD

you know some pretty weak guys if they can't carry 200 lbs around.

I also find it amazing that your friend's 200 lbs boyfriend that she can pick up isn't stronger than her if he weighs 200 lbs.
  • malkesh
    malkesh Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I don't really care about carrying.

I mean, in RL it would be just plain weird and after you do this for a while your back would kill you ;)

However, this is a game. And you see some of the weapons those girls swing around like nothing? Those would weigh quite as much as a guy. So obviously this ingame girls are strong enough to pull stunts like that. However I don't care, as I already stated. Just wanted to clear that one up.

What I care about however is the "giving a ride"-option. I see no point at all why this is not possible for both genders. There's no physical reason and it's a feature that can be actually usefull (like givin someone a ride who doesn't own a land or airmount, thus traveling way faster or reaching otherwise unreachable areas).
    So this is clearly a point in which female characters can't perform like the male counterpart can.
    And since this can be game relevant I think it would be really, really great if this point could be changed.
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Options
    you know some pretty weak guys if they can't carry 200 lbs around.

I also find it amazing that your friend's 200 lbs boyfriend that she can pick up isn't stronger than her if he weighs 200 lbs.
    You weren't getting my point, Lindsay doesn't work out at all, if she did could you imagine how strong she'd be? But anyway, my point is just the game is sexist mew, it's fact and obviously true but yeah anyway I'll still play it I guess, I just hope later on I can find some cuter clothes to cover up this armor problem mew.
  • Prankster - Lost City
    Prankster - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hi,
    I myself have a girl and plays games online with me and she likes to look good in sexy armor in a game wich made it possible to have to do so for those people this game allows it.

Do know this game is made this way theres hundreds more

This is not one of a kind game
    I do want to point out a very big thing tho people

Its a 3d game, pixels and textures, it aint real basicly your kids dont have to play this game

Again theres other games out there with not the things you dont like in here

I would rather complain about 85% of guys making a 3d female char just to look at their 3d female grapic shapes in a game...

And my last point please please please do not forget this is a 3d RPG game grind farm quest kill all other features are extra pvp pk mall/shop and nice clothes are build in extra to make or give it a exrta touch to make it diffrent from other games
  • Tylerwoods - Sanctuary
    Tylerwoods - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    As "realistic" as it may be for men to carry women (despite there being women out there capable of carrying men, such as my g/f if it were not for her broken foot) it would be a rather nice addition to the game- be it on foot or on flying/ground "vehicle". Yeah, I love seeing scandily-clad women with big **** being cradled in my arms, but there is something more practical with realistically-designed and clothed women being a 100% capable counterpart of men. It's comforting knowing you can go about your business and your female counterpart is competent. It's hard to get that emersion when they can't even give men a ride.

Heh heh. Ride...
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    arcxangel wrote: »
    All im going to say is. Lets see you carry your boyfriend or husband in real life.

Just as most husbands won't be able to carry their wives or husbands comfortably. When well trained perhaps, but then, a well trained female would be able to carry their husband or wive.
    lifting off ground =/= being able to carry (not by a long shot). Especially not over long distances.

Few guys, if any, will be able to carry women over long distances.

Being able to carry somebody else is a matter of weight and physical strength, not gender. By making it a gender based ability the setting automatically becomes sexist. No question there.
    The developers of the company did not make this game "sexist" ...
    They did, whatever their reason or background, there's no way around it that it is sexist.
    It seems to me that logically, Class has more relevance than Sex. I can easily see a Female Bladeswinger carrying a Male Wizard ... but not the other way around.

That makes more sense. That or the strength attribute (relative to level). At least it would bind the issue to physical properties rather then Victorian morals.
  • markillian
    edited October 2008
    Options
    turtlewax wrote: »
    Just as most husbands won't be able to carry their wives or husbands comfortably. When well trained perhaps, but then, a well trained female would be able to carry their husband or wive.

Being able to carry somebody else is a matter of weight and physical strength, not gender. By making it a gender based ability the setting automatically becomes sexist. No question there.

They did, whatever their reason or background, there's no way around it that it is sexist.

That makes more sense. That or the strength attribute (relative to level). At least it would bind the issue to physical properties rather then Victorian morals.

lol?

Where did you get the idea that most husbands can't carry their wives? I can't think of a man I know who couldn't carry another man, let alone his wife.

Don't talk about training if you don't know anything about it. And if you did know about it, you would know that women don't have the right hormones to gain large amounts of strength from any sort of training, while men do.

weight and physical strength aren't a matter of gender? If your life depended on it, would you rather have a man carrying a woman or a woman carrrying a man?

The game isn't sexist cause carrying is gender based, the game is sexist because of the clothes the female characters wear and the fact that girls can't give guys rides on their mounts.
  • turtlewax
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That's so silly. Try carrying anyone around in your arms. And I don't mean just lifting them of the ground and putting them back down, anyone can do that. Now take the average american husband and picture him carrying his wive around in his arms. Hilarious. Sorry, no. It's about strength, weight, and training more then about gender, and if my life depended upon it I'd rather have a trained women carry me then the average american husband.

This game is sexist because of just about everything gender related in it. :P
  • Prosperity - Lost City
    Prosperity - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That's so silly. Try carrying anyone around in your arms. And I don't mean just lifting them of the ground and putting them back down, anyone can do that. Now take the average american husband and picture him carrying his wive around in his arms. Hilarious. Sorry, no. It's about strength, weight, and training more then about gender, and if my life depended upon it I'd rather have a trained women carry me then the average american husband.

Your arguement about this game being sexist, is sexistb:laugh
  • markillian
    edited October 2008
    Options

As a personal trainer, comparing long time female members to new male members at the gym where I work, I would take untrained men over trained women if my life depended on it.

And trying to carry someone around in my arms? Is that your argument? I used to carry my gf places when we were younger, and I'm alot stronger now than I was then.
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Options
    As a personal trainer, comparing long time female members to new male members at the gym where I work, I would take untrained men over trained women if my life depended on it.

And trying to carry someone around in my arms? Is that your argument? I used to carry my gf places when we were younger, and I'm alot stronger now than I was then.
    Kewl! Then maybe you can recruit Lindsay, she could possibly be the strongest person on earth mew ^^ Also I'm going to be honest... when my BF was carrying me on this game, I thought it was the cutest thing. I mean... I guess carrying over the threshold is just something I've really dreamed about mew. But anyway it's still sexist mew, it's a game and I think it'd be kewl to see a girl carry a guy. Though for this game it may not make sense and all that, but that's because they don't allow the creation of smaller or weaker looking guys, or stronger looking or taller girls. So the character creation is the problem mew ^^
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Options

You go girl/boy! I totally agree with you mew ^^
  • turtlewax
    edited October 2008
    Options

Yeah, sure, you carried people around in your arms for miles and your untrained male trainees run the 100 meters in less then 11, 12 seconds before even starting training. You don't really expect me to believe any of that, do you? I think your talk is bigger then your life.
    Your arguement about this game being sexist, is sexist

How so?? :\
  • Shaye - Lost City
    Shaye - Lost City Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Where did you get the idea that most husbands can't carry their wives? I can't think of a man I know who couldn't carry another man, let alone his wife.

If your life depended on it, would you rather have a man carrying a woman or a woman carrrying a man?

All the men I know couldn't carry a nine-year-old. This is counting the average - fit ones, not the fat sedentary slobs.

And if my life depended on it, I really wouldn't care.
  • markillian
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yeah, sure, you carried people around in your arms for miles and your untrained male trainees run the 100 meters in less then 11, 12 seconds before even starting training. You don't really expect me to believe any of that, do you? I think your talk is bigger then your life.

This is what I love about arguing with people who don't know what they're talking about. They start to make stuff up.

for instance, miles? Of course I don't carry people around for miles (except for my young cousins, but they weigh barely anything). The longest I ever carried my gf for was something like 20 minutes, I certainly didn't go miles and miles, nor did I ever say I did.

And 11 seconds? I didn't realize that when you were talking about trained women, you meant the best female athletes in the world? Since 11 seconds is pretty close to the women's silver medal time of 10.98 in the last olympics.

lolololol @ Shaye

This thread seems to have gone to the dump. Oh well.
  • emmabug
    emmabug Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I most defiantly agree with it all! I was furious when i started playing the game for the first time today and i couldn't even take my best friend flying because im a girl! I want to take them flying whats with that! amen, it is sexist!
  • evrilysis
    evrilysis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Made me lol.

Keep in mind that this is a game developed by Chinese devs.

Chinese culture is different from what you're used to.

This is also quite an old game.

You're trying to change the coding for a game that's been around for years.

The fashion and the armors are designed like that because the players of female characters are mostly male. I'd rather look at a hot chick in a bikini than one in a HazMat suit.

And if you really wanted to complain about the way the female gender is portrayed in MMOs, you might as well not play at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Options
    evrilysis wrote: »
    Made me lol.

Keep in mind that this is a game developed by Chinese devs.

Chinese culture is different from what you're used to.

This is also quite an old game.

You're trying to change the coding for a game that's been around for years.

The fashion and the armors are designed like that because the players of female characters are mostly male. I'd rather look at a hot chick in a bikini than one in a HazMat suit.

And if you really wanted to complain about the way the female gender is portrayed in MMOs, you might as well not play at all.
    With that kind of thinking nothing ever gets done or solved mew >< If things were reversed and MEN were the ones being shown off all the time as the "weaker" sex. And women were shown as being superior and men just meant to stay at home and take care of the kids mew. Then we'll see what YOU say >> Oh and don't forget the skimpy clothes you guys would wear too xD Also I don't believe any gender is better than the other, I am sure everyone is equal mew, whether your a girl, boy, bigender, neuter, androgynous, genderqueer, metagender, or anything else I might have missed mew ^^
  • Lyiger - Sanctuary
    Lyiger - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    So, from most of the comments I have read on this thread, a lot of woman are angry and/or disappointed because they cannot pick up a 220lb male. correct? Well considering that this is an old game and that the Chinese do have different thinking than the entire world, (Thank you Evrilysis) can we cut them some slack and not rush them? It dose take some time to change things like this.

Second-Sexist or More Attention?: Another thing I am noticing in this thread, there a lot of woman that would like to carry other woman, but not a lot of males that would want to carry other males. This is leading me to believe that if this problem ever gets fixed, males would prefer not to carry other males and that you girls can carry yourselfs around. I mean if you want to be that da... darn (for the kids that play this game) independent, then go ahead, that's what I say. If you carry yourselfs, then all us men have to do is watch... Personally, I don't really want to carry my bud in my arms, That is why I would like to see the piggieback rides idea! I could make bets with my friends and whoever looses has to carry the other one all the way back to wherever, that would be cool.b:laugh

Third-Clothing: I have no problem with PW's clothing selection, I'm a guy(Lol) but, I do feel for the ladys. If I was a PW designer, I would simply give you choice, that's it. Ladys, would you perfer pants or skirt? So every time you go to the tailor there would be 2 tabs if you were a female, pants and skirts. That way you don't have to look like a 2-bit...unless you fell you have to, I have no problem with that.b:dirty ...I'm a guy, what can I say?

Forth-Mount Carry=No Fair!: I remember those times running FB19 and having an all female squad and I would have to run all the way there because she could not give me a ride, that sucked! I mean I'm sure even in the western movies, if a female got on a horse and a male needed to get on too, there was no time for"Oh, let me drive honey." They were getting shot at! and I would not expect the same if I am getting chased by a mob or rather a wave of monsters, that I would have to run us out of there when flying was available. This makes no since. If I was the PW design team, besides bugs, this would be the first thing I fix. Sure, I'm strong and I can carry you, but at lvl 30+ everyone should be about the same. (Excluding elf race)

Last-Kids. If I was a parent, I would not want my kids to play online games until I know that they are too old to get in a van for anything that it has in it. I mean kids can easily get talked into doing something dumb by their own peers, let alone another adult, so why would you chance it? Lets look at it this way:If I was a growing teen and my mom walked in on me carrying a half-clothed 3D char on PW, I would be embarrassedb:embarrass

Well that is what I have to say and I really don't care if you don't like it but, I still would like to read what you don't agree with or do agree with. If you attack me, expect an attack back, that's all I'm saying...
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    Options
    With that kind of thinking nothing ever gets done or solved mew >< If things were reversed and MEN were the ones being shown off all the time as the "weaker" sex. And women were shown as being superior and men just meant to stay at home and take care of the kids mew. Then we'll see what YOU say >> Oh and don't forget the skimpy clothes you guys would wear too xD Also I don't believe any gender is better than the other, I am sure everyone is equal mew, whether your a girl, boy, bigender, neuter, androgynous, genderqueer, metagender, or anything else I might have missed mew ^^

First off, no one likes a furry.

My line of thinking is logical there is no chance whatsoever that the devs that designed this game, a game that has been around for almost 5 years, are going to go into the coding and completely alter every piece of female equipment because a small group of players in one of nine versions deemed their design as "sexist".

Neither are they going to change the game mechanics to allow female characters to pick up male characters, or same gender cuddle.

If you don't like the game, GTFO and find a new one. It's really that simple.

No amount of complaining and whining on the forums is going to get anything changed.

As for a version of perfect world projecting women as superior to men, I could careless.

Women aren't being shown as inferior.

Deal with it or move to a different game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • boakan
    boakan Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I'm a male and I find the game sexist as well. People need to stop comparing this GAME to real life. Since when do people in real life use magic or tame flying pigs and or golems? I do know women in real life that CAN carry men, so you close minded men can stop claiming all women are weaker. Female characters in this game are just as strong as male characters. The main problem is because the Chinese think little of women.

I also would not mind to carry another male. Whether you're homosexual or heterosexual, carrying people can speed up things and make things easier for friends. Since when it is bad to help out friends? In wars when army members get injured, men will carry each other to get into safe places. If they can code different mounts and clothes into the game, I'm sure they can code different ways of carrying people.

As for the skimpy armor for women...I doubt that will ever change...Most mmos give female characters armor that way. Not that I think it's right...but it gives them less of a reason to change it. Sadly many men only care about how "sexy" females look.

Telling people to move on to a different game is not going to help anything. It would never change the game in places where it lacks...also it would cause the game to lose players which in the end would hurt the company. This game is called "Perfect" World and yet it is very very far from that.
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Options
    First off, no one likes a furry.

My line of thinking is logical there is no chance whatsoever that the devs that designed this game, a game that has been around for almost 5 years, are going to go into the coding and completely alter every piece of female equipment because a small group of players in one of nine versions deemed their design as "sexist".

Neither are they going to change the game mechanics to allow female characters to pick up male characters, or same gender cuddle.

If you don't like the game, GTFO and find a new one. It's really that simple.

No amount of complaining and whining on the forums is going to get anything changed.

As for a version of perfect world projecting women as superior to men, I could careless.

Women aren't being shown as inferior.

Deal with it or move to a different game.
    Wow, is everything you have to say designed to be an attack or something? And first off, I'm not a furry. Secondly I have friends who are furries and I DO like them and so do my other friends. Just because you're some stuck up macho chauvinistic boy doesn't mean you have a right to talk to people that way mew >< And another thing, I DO Like this game, the sexism just bothers me ><
  • cabbitprincess
    edited October 2008
    Options
    boakan wrote: »
    I'm a male and I find the game sexist as well. People need to stop comparing this GAME to real life. Since when do people in real life use magic or tame flying pigs and or golems? I do know women in real life that CAN carry men, so you close minded men can stop claiming all women are weaker. Female characters in this game are just as strong as male characters. The main problem is because the Chinese think little of women.

I also would not mind to carry another male. Whether you're homosexual or heterosexual, carrying people can speed up things and make things easier for friends. Since when it is bad to help out friends? In wars when army members get injured, men will carry each other to get into safe places. If they can code different mounts and clothes into the game, I'm sure they can code different ways of carrying people.

As for the skimpy armor for women...I doubt that will ever change...Most mmos give female characters armor that way. Not that I think it's right...but it gives them less of a reason to change it. Sadly many men only care about how "sexy" females look.

Telling people to move on to a different game is not going to help anything. It would never change the game in places where it lacks...also it would cause the game to lose players which in the end would hurt the company. This game is called "Perfect" World and yet it is very very far from that.

FINALLY! Thank you so much mew! You are so right, this game is so very far from perfect, it's rather ridiculous, but like you said it's unfortunately the way the developers view things mew ><
    I like the game, it's just yeah all that stuff just bothers me mew ;_;
  • evrilysis
    edited October 2008
    Options
    boakan wrote: »

See that's the problem.

You guys don't understand that this is a game that has been out for nearly 5 years with 9 different versions.

If this was a brand new game that was just going through beta, maybe this thread would have an impact or actually go somewhere. As of now, it's little more than a place for me to troll.

You want people to stop comparing the game to real life? Read your next sentences please. You're clearly doing just that.

I really don't understand how you don't seem to grasp the concept. No amount of whining is going to result in any changes to the coding.

You are asking for the mechanics of a well established game to be changed because of your personal opinions.

It won't happen.

Of course people moving on to a different game won't change the game, but neither will these pointless threads.

It's very simple. Either you suck it up and play the game how it is, or you can leave.
    Wow, is everything you have to say designed to be an attack or something? And first off, I'm not a furry. Secondly I have friends who are furries and I DO like them and so do my other friends. Just because you're some stuck up macho chauvinistic boy doesn't mean you have a right to talk to people that way mew >< And another thing, I DO Like this game, the sexism just bothers me ><

Your "mews" scream of furfaggotry.

Sexism differs according your perspective.

Obviously a handful of players see the game in that perspective, but nothing will happen.

FINALLY! Thank you so much mew! You are so right, this game is so very far from perfect, it's rather ridiculous, but like you said it's unfortunately the way the developers view things mew ><
    I like the game, it's just yeah all that stuff just bothers me mew ;_;

Like I said, it's a very simple concept to grasp.

The game has been around for nearly 5 years with 9 different versions.

The devs are not about to go and change the coding and the mechanics to fit the needs of a small group of people. In fact, if this entire version were to complain, they still wouldn't do anything.

To sum it up:

Nothing is going to change. Either deal with it or ****ing leave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trillion
    trillion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Nothing is going to change. Either deal with it or ****ing leave.

No. xP

If people want to "waste" their time complaining and petitioning for a change that more than likely won't happen, then let them do so. If it does get changed or it doesn't, does it really bother you that much? Suggestions show that the players like the game enough to actually give input that would help keep them playing, as opposed to just moving on to the next grindfest--which is better for the company. (Though I really wish more logic was applied to these kinds of suggestions so that they don't seem like wishful thinking)

I agree with you: more than likely nothing's going to change, but I'm normally of pessimistic about this kind of thing (esp. when it involves foreign-based game development companies). I severely doubt the devs will go through the trouble to change so much coding and programming just for us unless they believe it will earn them a lot of cash in the end.

However, there's another f2p game I play that has multiple versions (with it's home devs in Taiwan I believe), and I DO know that the devs of that game created version-specific items and events for their other versions. And I know that the American version has a large petition to implement same-sex marriages, which was sent up to the devs by the GMs (to which the devs pretty much said "We'll work on it when we have time", to which I take as "don't expect it for another 5 years"). :P

Yes, I find the game is sexist. I hate that my female characters have such limited "extra" functions as opposed to the males. And even though I'm a guy, a lot of the clothing on the females irk me (particularly how non-protecting the heavy armor looks, how much skin nearly every armor shows, and the pain of watching my character run around in high-heels).

But I've played a lot of games and I have become jaded to this kind of thing. It happens everywhere.......what can I say...? :/ In the end it's a game, and while there are some real life connections, suspension of disbelief is the norm. There's no way to please everyone, unfortunately. -shrugs-

Out of what I've read, the only thing I think would even remotely get changed by the devs would be the addition of more modest female clothing, but I'm certain all of that will be Boutique only and I doubt they'll change the armor designs. I'd rather they fix whatever issues and bugs that permeate the game more than I would like to see my female characters and players achieve the same advantages that males have... Or rather, that I would like to see the issues fixed first, THEN we go around to getting these design suggestions pushed through.

On a minor note, I like cabbit's "mew"s, but I'm fond of weird forum quirks like that :P

tl:dr version- The game's sexist, but threads like these are a dime a dozen on video game boards, and with an establised foreign company at this game's helm, I don't think this suggestion will go anywhere. However, I don't like my pessimism to deter people from trying to go for it. After all, trying to get change to occur is better than doing nothing.

-if my post was confusing, I apologize-
  • Arisaemia - Heavens Tear
    Arisaemia - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The only thing that I can say is... as a guy playing a venomancer, I am forced to marry a man (if I want to use this feature). What this have to do with all that topic? Everything and nothing, you figure it out lol.
This discussion has been closed.