Refer your friends to PWI - get free Zen!

Options
dvorak
dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
PWI's friend referral system has just launched. Check out our referral page for all the details:

http://www.perfectworld.com/referral

For a limited time this referral system will keep track of all your friends that you bring over to our game. The prize rewards system is as follows:

Bring in -
2 friends = 500 Zen!
4 friends = 1400 Zen!!
8 friends = 3000 Zen!!
10 friends = 4000 Zen and an exclusive Black Raptor Mount!

Start bringing in your friends today and reap the rewards!
pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
Post edited by dvorak on

Comments

• Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Just saw this somewhere on the news page I think.

I'll be lucky to successfully refer just one friend. :(
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • Blessing - Heavens Tear
    Blessing - Heavens Tear Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Dvorak, here's a question

How soon does the person get the black raptor mount/zen if he/she gets all 10 referrals? As soon as the 10th one counts? or when this event is over?
  • Prosperity - Lost City
    Prosperity - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The Gms wallets strike again! Just so everyone knows the only way someone can count as a "refered friend" is if they buy zen...hmm...another scam?b:thanks
  • Vertigo - Heavens Tear
    Vertigo - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I have a bad feeling about this. First, ppl will make dummy accounts just to get free Zen and the raptor.

Method:

1.) Make 10 "Fake" accounts as referrals with personal referral links.
    2.) Power-level those accounts to level 10.
    3.) Purchase and trade 1000 Zen / Just buy Zen from auction for "Fake Accounts".
    4.) Buy "Reduced Price" crafting materials for "Fake Accounts". (Covers PW Boutique req.)
    5.) Wait for Raptor mount and 40$ worth of Zen on main.

Oh, did I mention the "Farmers", who will set up pyramid schemes to bank on this method. Therefore flooding the economy with cash shop items. And, there for increasing the abilty to sell gold on websites.

I would like a planned response from the Dev/GM team, and hopefully a resolution to this horrible economy event.
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I have a bad feeling about this. First, ppl will make dummy accounts just to get free Zen and the raptor.

Method:

3.) Purchase and trade 1000 Zen / Just buy Zen from auction for "Fake Accounts".
    4.) Buy "Reduced Price" crafting materials for "Fake Accounts". (Covers PW Boutique req.)

Oh, did I mention the "Farmers", who will set up pyramid schemes to bank on this method. Therefore flooding the economy with cash shop items. And, there for increasing the abilty to sell gold on websites.

I would like a planned response from the Dev/GM team, and hopefully a resolution to this horrible economy event.

Pretty sure they have to actually CHARGE zen to their account. So at minimum, this will cost someone $100 in gamecards if they used this method.
  • Wrathx - Heavens Tear
    Wrathx - Heavens Tear Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I won't be too surprised if we don't see many of those black raptor mounts anytime soon. The idea that you have to get 10 other people to pay before you get your reward could be tough. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • lustress
    lustress Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I can see the problems with this form of event, as yes it will ruin the economy as Vertigo explained, what I'd like to know is whats the speed of the raptor? and will the raptor be any faster than the Kirin?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options

Method:

Blessing is correct, your friend has to charge their account, they can't simply buy ZEN in-game and make one cash shop item purchase.

Someone else asked, how soon do you get the Raptor. As soon as you reach 10 friends and cash out on the My Referrals page, you will receive your Raptor in the mail within 48 hours, you will receive your ZEN instantly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Agentzero - Lost City
    Agentzero - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    lol damn, scammed exposed! hehe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • infrequentia
    infrequentia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It's too hard. D: I guess I'll refer some friends, but there's no way I'm getting anything because they're all so cheap!
  • Titan - Heavens Tear
    Titan - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    ya why would i tell my freinds "hey you want to play a f2p mmo but you gotta buy the cash shop items or else"
    lol
  • Atheeni - Heavens Tear
    Atheeni - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    awe I got all excited cuz I could totally coerce 10 friends into playing... two of them already signed up... but then I read the fine print.. charge zen.... really? That's kind ridiculous... invite your friends to play a F2P game and then ask them to spend money in the cash shop. *sigh* I dunno... this game is turning into a cash shop hog for me.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I have to agree, sure, getting people to sign up is good. But getting them to charge zen is over the top.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    Typhoon - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Like I said in a different thread, dream on PWI.
  • hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The way I'm going about this is just inviting friends to play, and if they want to spend money on it, great, if they don't, thats fine too. The referral system just gives you more incentive to get people you know into the game, and if they like it enough to spend money on it, you get rewarded.

Whether or not you want to force it down your friends' throats that you get free stuff when they spend money in the cash shop is up to you, but personally I don't like looking like a greedy con artist.

I'm also really confused as to how a few people have gotten the idea that this system is going to somehow ruin the games economy.
  • Vasflam - Lost City
    Vasflam - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Is this forum filled with nothing more than whiners?

If they didn't make it so you had to pay ZEN for a referral to count, then people would just spam accounts and get tons of free ZEN.

This isn't a subscription based game people, think about it, accounts are free here.

I for one am gonna refer a couple of my friends, like hawk said, if they pay, great. If they don't wanna pay? Then I'll give them 20 bucks and tell them to buy me a bunch of **** and mail it to me. ;)
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I like the game outside of work. I see no issue with this.

The minimum payment to buy ZEN is $20. That can get you a decent ways if you only buy a few sweet items to make life a little bit easier in-game.

No one is twisting anyone's arm to do this. It is an incentive to expand the number of players.

More players=more fun IMHO, and more groups of people for Territory Wars and raids.

You can fully enjoy PWI without buying anything, ever. Setting up a consignment shop and the auctions can help you get whatever you need with clever negotiation and bartering.

If you want to make things go faster, you can buy ZEN, and get some great items in the Boutique to customize your character and make modifications to things, and help make your experience in-game more to your tastes. It is optional!

So as a gamer, and not as a Admin, I really like this referral system.

From the Admin perspective, please keep the posts civil and respectable, ok?
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hmm, clarify something for me... if the zen is instantly put on your account once a certain number of referals charge to their account, then do you get each reward along the way to the final one? In other words, if you get 10 referrals, do you get the rewards for 2, 4, and 8 referrals as well?
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hmm, clarify something for me... if the zen is instantly put on your account once a certain number of referals charge to their account, then do you get each reward along the way to the final one? In other words, if you get 10 referrals, do you get the rewards for 2, 4, and 8 referrals as well?

No. As you gain referrals, you have the option to "cash out" at any point. If you happen to reach 10 referrals, you can cash out and get the raptor and 4000 ZEN, or cash out 2 friends five times, totally up to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Options
    How does the new player refer the name of the referring person?
  • kantorek
    kantorek Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    How does the new player refer the name of the referring person?

Please make sure that your friends are signing up via the link provided to you in the "Get Started" section. That has a specific code tied to your account for referral purposes.
    朱健诚
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Maintenance is my Constant. b:surrender
  • Eternalnub - Heavens Tear
    Eternalnub - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    it says if u get 10 friends to play PW u get blablabla ..but when u log in and get those friends it says that ur friends needs use cash and get lvl10 loool
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    well .. duh?
    *goes to make 10 accounts* zomg look I have 10 "friends" and Ima invite them all now and earn lots of zen.

There has to be some kinda restriction to avoid above mentioned cheating. I agree a little, there shouldnt be a CS clause; instead just make it lvl 20.
  • markillian
    markillian Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I disagree, from the marketing perspective this is a very effective strategy.
  • Vasflam - Lost City
    Vasflam - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Accounts for a Free to Play game are free. Did you expect them to just hand out ZEN to people who spam accounts?
  • toko
    toko Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    This is ridiculous. Why do they have to charge zen AND level up to 10? If I didn't give this game a chance, I would've stopped leveling at Lv6. Seriously, the game doesn't hook people THAT well.
  • Chronon - Lost City
    Chronon - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Kinda insane that you require 10 people to pay $20 before I'd get the mount (and some ZEN).

Ok fine, you want some ZEN to get bought before you give out 'cash back' for getting your friends to pay. But why in the heck do you require ZEN to be bought for the freaking mount? I mean I know this is impossible for me to do and I won't bother to start busting my **** off for it.

I'd be in more than half assed if it would be more like this: Refer lots of friends and when 10 of them get to level 15 you get a mount. If some of the many friends happen to buy ZEN you get that 'cash back' (no matter what level they are since level is totally irrelevant here).
  • Prosperity - Lost City
    Prosperity - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I mean I know this is impossible for me to do and I won't bother to start busting my **** off for it.
    If you admit you won't be participating in this event, then why whine about it?
  • Chronon - Lost City
    Chronon - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    If you admit you won't be participating in this event, then why whine about it?

I meant I might refer 2 or 3 people but they would get referring users to try much more with less impossible goal. By that I mean they shouldn't give ZEN right away from the reward level 1... Lower reward levels should include only character levels imo, getting people use enough time to get to some certain level can be also hard and if you can get them into spending much time with the game they are more likely to buy ZEN.
    edited October 2008
    Options
    well .. duh?
    *goes to make 10 accounts* zomg look I have 10 "friends" and Ima invite them all now and earn lots of zen.

There has to be some kinda restriction to avoid above mentioned cheating. I agree a little, there shouldnt be a CS clause; instead just make it lvl 20.

Lol, this is marketing strategy.

What would you rather take if you were PWI?

One person that pays $200 and bypasses the 'get friends' part

or

One person that 'attempts' to get 10 friends, fails miserably, and only gets 1 or 2 that actually pays, putting only $40 into PWI's pockets.

You gotta be stupid as hell if you choose the 2nd option.

Edit: wow, my avatar is all golden-like now
This discussion has been closed.