Marridge benefits - GM Confirmation?

Crash - Heavens Tear
Crash - Heavens Tear Posts: 100 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
well i just got married on the game today, and a few of the benefits i heard of arnt as they seem,
do u not have the 100% exp when in a pt with ur hubby or is it ment to go down to nearly 50% as usual when ur in a pt with some random person

no point in me going through the rest

but i wud realy like a GM to ither give me a link to the page that tells me, or tell me what they are here.
retired from PWI server Heavens Tear, October 2008
want to start on Harshlands ASAP!
Post edited by Crash - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Scrydan - Heavens Tear
    Scrydan - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Please, don't butcher the english language again.

On topic~ I heard that you get a skill with your spouse.
  • Vaelissa - Heavens Tear
    Vaelissa - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I've talked to a few married people, all have said that there are no special long term benefits aside from a title, which you can't hide, and clothes.
  • Hitsuu - Lost City
    Hitsuu - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Please, don't butcher the english language again.

On topic~ I heard that you get a skill with your spouse.

Get real, I am a biochem major going to UCDavis, pre-med and I talk like dis on da internetz all da time. If you would like for me to speak in this type of style, then please...PLEASE, go to a website that dictates the way people type... wherever that may be....
  • Elysoun - Heavens Tear
    Elysoun - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Get real, I am a biochem major going to UCDavis

Ho! I came out of UCD Electrical and Computer Systems (EEC/ECS), lived in Webster lol. Go Aggies!

As for marriage, I am also interested in knowing the actual benefits, all there are are rumors from people
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    The benefits : PWE got $60 in their pockets.

As for the married couple : they got gly robes and a title above their heads.

b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Clinis - Heavens Tear
    Clinis - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I have a major in English Literature and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse, and this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in.

If you really are a graduate of anything then for the love of God be a shinning light to others. Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, it is the base of our culture and the future of education, if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future.

I suggest everyone go and rent the film 'Idiocracy' or read George Orwell's essay "Politics and The English Language"

Sorry as this is off topic, it is just recently I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates and it brings bile up to my teeth. Then when I retort on it I always get the same comment "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."
  • jerkface
    jerkface Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    For an English major, you sure displayed a lot of ignorance!

"I have a major in English Literature and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse, and this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

That's a run-on sentence. When you have two independent clauses ("I have a major in English," and "I have to tell you") there should be a comma before the coordinating conjunction (in this case "and"). Your sentence should have read:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse."

Your third independent clause, "this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in" should have either been a new sentence or separated by a semicolon:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse; this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

You can't have three independent clauses linked by coordinating conjunctions in the same sentence.

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, it is the base of our culture and the future of education, if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

Another run-on sentence? Wow. And comma splices too!

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, (comma splice) it is the base of our culture and the future of education, (comma splice) if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

You can't link two independent clauses using only commas. You must use a coordinating conjunction or a semicolon:

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness; it is the base of our culture and the future of education. (PERIOD, followed by a new sentence) If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

When you precede an independent clause ("If our graduates...") with a subordinate clause, you must put a comma between the two, like this:

"If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), (no "then") we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

As for your last two sentences:

"Sorry as this is off topic, it is just recently I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates and it brings bile up to my teeth. Then when I retort on it I always get the same comment "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

They are horrible. To save myself some time, I'm just going to write the corrections within my rewrite:

"Sorry if this is off topic. (period) Recently, ("Just recently" is redundant. If it was recent, then obviously it JUST happened) I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates, (Comma! You have two independent clauses here!) and it brings bile up to my teeth. When (Not, "Then when") I retort on it, (Comma! Subordinate clause is being followed by an independent clause!) I always get the same comment, (Comma! Always use them before a quote if the quote is not the beginning of the sentence!) "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

Well, that's it. By the way, I am an accounting major.
  • suggy
    suggy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Oh wow. How about someone just post the actual benefits you get from being married, please?!
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Who cares how ppl write, got a poblem -close the post and dont respond.

Marrige benefits are not working yet, maybe in the future they will add some. So far the only benefit is the clothes and the fact that everyone knows u have to much money.
  • pinyin
    pinyin Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I have a major in English Literature and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse, and this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in.

If you really are a graduate of anything then for the love of God be a shinning light to others. Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, it is the base of our culture and the future of education, if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future.

I suggest everyone go and rent the film 'Idiocracy' or read George Orwell's essay "Politics and The English Language"

Sorry as this is off topic, it is just recently I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates and it brings bile up to my teeth. Then when I retort on it I always get the same comment "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

And i was thinking that Americans ruined the english language :)
    Please understand, the Horny Bard does not speak for us!
  • Starang - Lost City
    Starang - Lost City Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Can you please get back on topic as I would also like to know if there is any hidden benefits of marriage in game.
  • Prowler - Heavens Tear
    Prowler - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I have a major in English Literature ... be a shinning light to others.

Oh, please!

Warm Regards
    --
    Prowler
    --
    Prowler (Venomancer) on Heaven's Tear

Former Leader of QuestSeek: International level 3 faction.
  • aflyingnun
    aflyingnun Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008

Personally, from the perspective of someone whose done quite a bit of foreign language study...

The highest level of understanding of a language is when you're able to tear it apart; when you're able to use slang. Why? Simply because you'll learn all of the basic and official rules first, and slang isn't something you can learn in a foreign language course. Once you're able to use slang, it shows that you have a good understanding of what the words mean, as well as what syllables are stressed and which are unimportant, and when you're trying to look stupid on the internet, it shows you know alternative letters that could be used to get the same sound.

Language is what the people make of it, anyways. Bad typing on the internet is no worse than slang, and slang will always exist, so I dunno what has your panties in a twist...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    could we please cut the **** about English lessons and know more about the marriage benefits?

tyvm
    I was going to post a reply... then I realized, you would likely reply in anger and insult me, to which I'd most likely respond with a wittier comment or slay you with a macro and then, onlookers, seeing that comments had been made, would interpret the traffic as interest, thus earning you attention you don't deserve for your **** post. So, when you DON'T see a comment from me, THAT is me saying "FAIL" in a much more effective manner.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crash - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    i just thought it was funny that (most likely an american) just criticised me saying im buchering the english launguage even though im english my self and live in England b:shutup

honestly though this was a thread ment for a GM to hopefully respond or for ppl that actualy no if theres some benefts about, not for realy bored people to teach us how to write,

anywho i went onto pw-my last night and asked some1 who was married there if theres atleast the exp bonus for being in a party with your spouse, and he achknowledged to me that there will be in a future patch there,

i already gathered that PWI doesnt release patches in the same order that they do, so if this is true can PWI GM's actualy release this nice little bonus into the game for us soon =/
  • neneh
    neneh Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    i also would like to know the benefits and future plans of marriage, found a few things already with google. But a more specific "library" section would be helpfull.

As for that **** literature degree professor, remember that PWI forums have people who are not native english speaking ppl. So next time u are upset about how ppl write just think if u can can do the same what these minor people in your eyes, with their native language (french, german, whatever)

As long u can read and interpret what someone ask/wants/needs its enough, if not just ask to be more specific.

And ye i am native dutch , so there must be a few flaws in this post too lol.
  • Kyou - Heavens Tear
    Kyou - Heavens Tear Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Now um... everyone who posted here about English language; read the whole thread again, please.

You'll feel like an idiot, just like I did while reading this. I suggest removing your posts in respect of the thread question b:chuckle
  • Kingofhearts - Heavens Tear
    Kingofhearts - Heavens Tear Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    The benefits : PWE got $60 in their pockets.

As for the married couple : they got gly robes and a title above their heads.

b:laugh

So you're saying all these people who are spending $60 to get married are only getting a title above their heads, no other benefits? I must've seen 10 system messages this weekend alone, and I wasn't online half the time. I canalmost see paying $35 or even $50 for a mount that makes you faster and gives you an edge...but $60 for some text above your head?
    "there is still much to be done"
  • iry
    iry Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    So you're saying all these people who are spending $60 to get married are only getting a title above their heads, no other benefits? I must've seen 10 system messages this weekend alone, and I wasn't online half the time. I canalmost see paying $35 or even $50 for a mount that makes you faster and gives you an edge...but $60 for some text above your head?

There is infact no benefit for users.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1perfectworld.com , the best resource for everything Perfect World.
    We got quest guides, cultivation guides, noob guides. If it can be a guide, its there.
    We also got free guild forums :D
    Now with flame forums and trading for CB/OB
  • Arganoth - Lost City
    Arganoth - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2008

You remind me of my ex, who did her undergrad in English. She was great in bed :)
  • Arganoth - Lost City
    Arganoth - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    jerkface wrote: »
    For an English major, you sure displayed a lot of ignorance!

"I have a major in English Literature and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse, and this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

That's a run-on sentence. When you have two independent clauses ("I have a major in English," and "I have to tell you") there should be a comma before the coordinating conjunction (in this case "and"). Your sentence should have read:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse."

Your third independent clause, "this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in" should have either been a new sentence or separated by a semicolon:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse; this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

You can't have three independent clauses linked by coordinating conjunctions in the same sentence.

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, it is the base of our culture and the future of education, if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

Another run-on sentence? Wow. And comma splices too!

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, (comma splice) it is the base of our culture and the future of education, (comma splice) if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

You can't link two independent clauses using only commas. You must use a coordinating conjunction or a semicolon:

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness; it is the base of our culture and the future of education. (PERIOD, followed by a new sentence) If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

When you precede an independent clause ("If our graduates...") with a subordinate clause, you must put a comma between the two, like this:

"If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), (no "then") we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

As for your last two sentences:

"Sorry as this is off topic, it is just recently I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates and it brings bile up to my teeth. Then when I retort on it I always get the same comment "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

They are horrible. To save myself some time, I'm just going to write the corrections within my rewrite:

"Sorry if this is off topic. (period) Recently, ("Just recently" is redundant. If it was recent, then obviously it JUST happened) I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates, (Comma! You have two independent clauses here!) and it brings bile up to my teeth. When (Not, "Then when") I retort on it, (Comma! Subordinate clause is being followed by an independent clause!) I always get the same comment, (Comma! Always use them before a quote if the quote is not the beginning of the sentence!) "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

Well, that's it. By the way, I am an accounting major.

You also remind me of my ex, who is now getting her graduate degree in editing. She was great in bed.
  • X_livia_x - Heavens Tear
    X_livia_x - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Well, I would hate to actually respond to what the topic was about, but here goes!!!

I married my fiance in game. We don't get any benefits such as extra experience or a skill or anything like that, but we did get more than "just a title" and "ugly clothes". When you get married in game, you get 10 wedding wines apiece, which can then be traded for a few random items, usually wedding candies, which raise your reputation, or a token that is worth 99,999 coins.

I wound up making 400k and got 6 candies, and my fiance got 600k and 4 candies. People do get married for more than just this benefit. Alot of the couples are real life couples. I figure if this wasn't a free to play game I would've spent around $60 to buy two copies of the game anyway, or that much in fees, so why not? Also, if people can spend $50 on a snake, I figure I can spend $10 more to show how much I love my fiance. I don't expect people to understand my reasoning, but it's my choice and people shouldn't be put down for it.
  • Crash - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    kinda sucks that not even so much as a response from a GM yet, id of thought they check the forums atleast once a day to see whats happeing,
    i realy want to no is there any benefit in the future patches or not, or am i wasting my time having the dumb title above my head with that **** looking fashion b:lipcurl
  • Kyou - Heavens Tear
    Kyou - Heavens Tear Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    kinda sucks that not even so much as a response from a GM yet, id of thought they check the forums atleast once a day to see whats happeing,
    i realy want to no is there any benefit in the future patches or not, or am i wasting my time having the dumb title above my head with that **** looking fashion b:lipcurl

Since when is Chinese traditional marriage outfit ****?
    If it were ****, there would be **** marriages.

Since there are none, I suggest not making a fool of yourself b:cute
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008

There was no response as livia hit the nail right on the head.

There are no "hidden" functions of getting married in PWI. ;)

And please, let's not mock those who have decided to get married in-game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kahlan442
    kahlan442 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I know I have stated this already but I figured I might as well let it be known here. While there is in fact, no real added benefit to getting married, there ARE a few short term perks as already mentioned ( the 10 gifts ) Personally, there are 2 key elements to marriage as far as I can tell:

1) They are generally for RL couples who enjoy playing together and feel like spending a little cash on some added fun.

2) The cost is a bit higher than most would generally find "reasonable" because:
    a) It prevents pointless and wasteful marriage
    b) The game is free to play, and if you know anything about anything, you might be able to understand that in actuality, its just a donation to the makers of the game. You get something kinda cool out of it, and the game stays "Free to Play" forever.

If you don't think its worth it, then dont do it. Marriage in PWI is intended for those who really enjoy the game and feel that it is worth making one payment equal to or less than the cost of similar quality games.

I really personally think that the "So and So's Husband/Wife" Title is really a : "I donated to the game because I think its worth it" title. I would but no one I know plays and I am still new enough to it that I am not sure if I will be around long enough to bother >.<

Edit: Oh, and people, seriously, this is not an English class, if someone wants to make themselves look a fool by typing like one, who gives a ****? Mind your own business and find something else to attempt to dictate, sheesh.
  • Clinis - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Oops.

I didn't expect that, I am sorry to all the people who just wanted to know the answer, I don't know what I was thinking posting that. To tell you the truth I don't mind general mistakes, L337 or Diz and Dat, I just hate posts that are unreadable.

So sorry to all the time wasted by people who's interest was in the game. I feel like a friggin idiot.

SO on topic does any one know:

Can people of the same sex marry?

Are you stuck with the title "*********'s Husband" forever

Can you get a divorce?
  • peregryn
    peregryn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Oops.

I didn't expect that, I am sorry to all the people who just wanted to know the answer, I don't know what I was thinking posting that. To tell you the truth I don't mind general mistakes, L337 or Diz and Dat, I just hate posts that are unreadable.

So sorry to all the time wasted by people who's interest was in the game. I feel like a friggin idiot.

SO on topic does any one know:

Can people of the same sex marry?

Are you stuck with the title "*********'s Husband" forever

Can you get a divorce?

no to same sex marriage

your other two questions are linked in answer, I do not think this version of PW has a mechanic in place for divorce so my guess is that you will be stuck with the title till one or the other of the Characters affected are deleted (till death do you part).

As for the other ... relax everyone has made mistakes (sometimes the only thing to do is pull your foot from your mouth and move forward).
    Perhaps the greatest secret to getting along with others lies in learning to respect their opinion(s) even while you disagree with them.
  • Brimsheen - Sanctuary
    Brimsheen - Sanctuary Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Quite simply, marriage is showing dedication to your ingame spouse through 60 bucks wortha clothing.
    Not saying anything bad about it. But benefits? Would be nice, but apparently none.
    Souls yearn to live a hero, but even moreso, a soul yearns to die a Legend
    -Brimsheen, Mercenary for hire (16 and rising. My avvy lies)
  • Clinis - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Ah thanks for that.

Yes I suppose it would be nice to get something, if anyone I know ever gets married I'll have to be sure to send the the biggest wedding gift I can think of.
This discussion has been closed.