Marridge benefits - GM Confirmation?

2»

Comments

• Brimsheen - Sanctuary
    Brimsheen - Sanctuary Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    yeah, I suppose wedding gifts are a plus and you can sell em for ingame money ^^
    Souls yearn to live a hero, but even moreso, a soul yearns to die a Legend
    -Brimsheen, Mercenary for hire (16 and rising. My avvy lies)
  • modrod
    modrod Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    This thread made me lol.
  • elizar
    elizar Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I have a major in English Literature and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse, and this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in.

If you really are a graduate of anything then for the love of God be a shinning light to others. Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, it is the base of our culture and the future of education, if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future.

I suggest everyone go and rent the film 'Idiocracy' or read George Orwell's essay "Politics and The English Language"

Sorry as this is off topic, it is just recently I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates and it brings bile up to my teeth. Then when I retort on it I always get the same comment "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

And do you realize that there are more them 120 countries on world speaking with dozens of diferent languages and most of those ppl have just basic knowledge of english ?

Please be little more tolerant for others as it could not be their primary language as maybe for you.
  • Zress - Lost City
    Zress - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Who cares how ppl write, got a poblem -close the post and dont respond..
    b:victory A-FREAKING-Men!
    Marrige benefits are not working yet, maybe in the future they will add some. So far the only benefit is the clothes and the fact that everyone knows u have to much money.

Thanks Smexxy b:kiss, finally a on topic answer.
  • Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Like most MMORPG's, and real life, marriage offers little or no benefits.
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • sn8ke
    sn8ke Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    jerkface wrote: »
    For an English major, you sure displayed a lot of ignorance!

"I have a major in English Literature and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse, and this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

That's a run-on sentence. When you have two independent clauses ("I have a major in English," and "I have to tell you") there should be a comma before the coordinating conjunction (in this case "and"). Your sentence should have read:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse."

Your third independent clause, "this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in" should have either been a new sentence or separated by a semicolon:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse; this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

You can't have three independent clauses linked by coordinating conjunctions in the same sentence.

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, it is the base of our culture and the future of education, if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

Another run-on sentence? Wow. And comma splices too!

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, (comma splice) it is the base of our culture and the future of education, (comma splice) if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

You can't link two independent clauses using only commas. You must use a coordinating conjunction or a semicolon:

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness; it is the base of our culture and the future of education. (PERIOD, followed by a new sentence) If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

When you precede an independent clause ("If our graduates...") with a subordinate clause, you must put a comma between the two, like this:

"If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), (no "then") we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

As for your last two sentences:

"Sorry as this is off topic, it is just recently I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates and it brings bile up to my teeth. Then when I retort on it I always get the same comment "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

They are horrible. To save myself some time, I'm just going to write the corrections within my rewrite:

"Sorry if this is off topic. (period) Recently, ("Just recently" is redundant. If it was recent, then obviously it JUST happened) I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates, (Comma! You have two independent clauses here!) and it brings bile up to my teeth. When (Not, "Then when") I retort on it, (Comma! Subordinate clause is being followed by an independent clause!) I always get the same comment, (Comma! Always use them before a quote if the quote is not the beginning of the sentence!) "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

Well, that's it. By the way, I am an accounting major.

Umm.... You rock.
  • Adeley - Heavens Tear
    Adeley - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    You remind me of my ex, who did her undergrad in English. She was great in bed :)

I am having fits of laughter in my char! Oh lordy! Best reply I have ever read! Kudos to you my friend.

On the subject of, "The Butchering of The English Language",

*ahem*

This is the interwebs - do you think people care? I am quite certain they speak differently in person. It's not like everyone in the world is going to be able to spell correctly, rich or poor. Honestly, stop whining and do something more productive.

Say, like, making a nice big schnitzel sandwich, then eating it. Now, that is productive.
  • deliciouse
    deliciouse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I was wondering about the whole marriage thing as well and I guess im going to continue to wonder since most want to turn this post into an English class....lol

We all get a "D"! Go see the counselor.
  • duggy
    duggy Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    *applauds jerkface*

My other half is severely dyslexic, but a great communicator nonetheless. I get sick and tired of the high and mighty few who feel they have the god-given right to pick on how he says something, and totally neglect the point.

And to keep this on topic... I can't marry him in RL just yet for reasons I won't get into, and we want to marry here in PW for no other reason than the title or w/e signifies us as being wed. It's a sentimental kind of thing.

Focus on the point people... answer the question or keep your snotty opinions to yourself.

And coincidentally *cough* we can't get married ingame for the same reason we can't get married in RL. :(
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    on the bright side, its cheaper IRL ^^
  • zensilver
    zensilver Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008

"I have a major in English Literature and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse, and this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

That's a run-on sentence. When you have two independent clauses ("I have a major in English," and "I have to tell you") there should be a comma before the coordinating conjunction (in this case "and"). Your sentence should have read:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse."

Your third independent clause, "this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in" should have either been a new sentence or separated by a semicolon:

"I have a major in English Literature, and I have to tell you the destruction of the English language online and off is getting worse; this is not a tendency to exhibit pride in."

You can't have three independent clauses linked by coordinating conjunctions in the same sentence.

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, it is the base of our culture and the future of education, if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness, (comma splice) it is the base of our culture and the future of education, (comma splice) if our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

You can't link two independent clauses using only commas. You must use a coordinating conjunction or a semicolon:

"Language isn't just bookish grammar and snotty know-allness; it is the base of our culture and the future of education. (PERIOD, followed by a new sentence) If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), then we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

When you precede an independent clause ("If our graduates...") with a subordinate clause, you must put a comma between the two, like this:

"If our graduates talked and wrote like teenagers (comma), (no "then") we'd all be headed towards a dystopian future."

"Sorry as this is off topic, it is just recently I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates and it brings bile up to my teeth. Then when I retort on it I always get the same comment "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

They are horrible. To save myself some time, I'm just going to write the corrections within my rewrite:

"Sorry if this is off topic. (period) Recently, ("Just recently" is redundant. If it was recent, then obviously it JUST happened) I have read some horrible blogs and comments made online by the most ignorant illiterates, (Comma! You have two independent clauses here!) and it brings bile up to my teeth. When (Not, "Then when") I retort on it, (Comma! Subordinate clause is being followed by an independent clause!) I always get the same comment, (Comma! Always use them before a quote if the quote is not the beginning of the sentence!) "I am a graduate of Harvard with a quadruple degree in Physics, Law, Biology and Theatre."

Wow, sheesh, you don't have to get on her about all the problems in her comment. She was probably just trying to get a point across; so she didn't pay attention to how she was writing.

Anyways, i'm new to the game so i have no idea about the marriage thing. Actually, in fact, i didn't even know you could get "married" in this game. It be really helpful if someone could explain all of this simply. XD
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    Typhoon - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2008

All that, and you still overlooked that she misspelled "shining". Epic fail.
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    "shining." *
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.
  • dariusmajere
    dariusmajere Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Better be carefull, Might get married ingame and for that cost, they send you a RL Marriage Cert. :P

ShadowMajere
    WolfPac GL
    ShadowMajere - Xfire
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
  • Sajra - Lost City
    Sajra - Lost City Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    oh shut the hell up about english. its a frickin game, deal with it. can somebody just answer?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Forsaken Sigs

Sajra - Level 31 - Hell Archer.
This discussion has been closed.