Concerns About Cash Shop Pricing

Comments

• Wave - Heavens Tear
    Wave - Heavens Tear Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Smexxy u putted nice list there cpmpletly agree with ya on that, either to lower more prices or give ppl more zen
    like for 20$ u get 3k zen for 30$ u get 5k zen....that would helped...though its still costly.

Oh deirdrea lol u cant get higher lvl then 40 without cash shop, cose u need at least hieros cose u spend pots and mp fast...

Well maybe u dont need to buy zen for real money if ur veno...maybe that is why so many of em..
    Elysium Guild "Let the fun begin" :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syndicatearts
    syndicatearts Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Look! 40% off sale of what most people complain about!!
    Probably testing it out to see if it will make them the income they want.
    It's not 50% or 66% off but 40% of 100$ is still 40$.
    I guess they really are trying after all.
    I guess I'll throw a few bucks there way when I got the money.
    (Just bought SPORE so I'm broke LMAO!)
    But if i do and they don't deside to lower there prices, I'll be ~P!SsST~
    :confused:Archo-um-a... The city formally known as DRAGON:confused:
  • kotek
    kotek Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    xarfox wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

We realize that there has been a lot of discussion recently regarding cash shop item prices. We here at Perfect World Entertainment wanted to give you guys an official response and address some of the feedback that you guys have been giving us.

Now a lot of you have noted that our cash shop item prices are more expensive than the prices of Perfect World Malaysia. Now initially one looks at that fact and two questions come to mind:
    1. Why is PWE charging more?
    2. Why should I play here when other regions have cheaper prices?

The answers to these two questions are actually connected.

There are a lot of factors at play when a company decides what prices to set for their game. You need to look at supply and demand, potential inflation, and characteristics of your region's economy.

According to the CIA's World Factbook, these are the figures for GDP per capita in the US and Malaysia:
    Malaysia's GDP = $13,300
    United States' GDP = $45,800

All of these are based on 2007 figures and can be found on the above links by searching for 'GDP - Per Capita.'

Per capita income means how much each individual receives, in monetary terms, of the yearly income generated in the country. This is what each citizen is to receive if the yearly national income is divided equally among everyone.

Now what do these numbers signify? A number of things. The most obvious point that comes to mind is that, on average, an American citizen probably has a larger chunk of disposable income. However the more relevant point is that people in the United States are paid a higher salary on average when compared to Malaysia.

The cost of operating and maintaining an MMORPG in the US is much higher than it is over in Asia.

The average salary staff members is much higher.
    High speed bandwith costs money.
    Having enough staff to maintain optimal response times on e-mails costs money.
    Having enough staff to monitor in-game for bots and gold spammers costs money.
    Having GMs that are not corrupt that do not favor players or guilds costs money.

We just want to provide you guys with a glimpse from our side. We want you guys to understand our perspective on the matter.

We would be stupid to not listen to our community, and as it is our community that supports our company. You guys pay our salaries, and it's in our best interest to make sure that we provide you guys with the best experience possible. We value all the feedback that we've been getting and will continue to keep our ears to the ground.

Feel free to fill this thread with your feedback and suggestions.
    What you say ? are you kidding ? u want ur game work fine or what ? lol

what i undurstnud in that is " plz go back to Malaysia price are cheaper than here "
    so i think we will do that ...
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I dont mean to be rude, so dont get me wrong but.. Dang, u should all move to europe, minimum wage here is abt 15$/h at the age of 18, average salary with a fulltimejob is about 2000$, and thats just the minimum after 33% taxes.

You also pay a BigMac $5 and a gallon of gas $11...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Sidenote on flying equip: is wind widgets permanent? how much does it increase?please make the description better

It's permanent.

It increase the speed of a cash shop flying device by +0.50 with each increment, up to a speed of +3. For each increment you need more widgets : 20-40-60-80

1.00 to 1.50 = 20 widgets
    1.50 to 2.00 = 40 widgets
    2.00 to 2.50 = 60 widgets
    2.50 to 3.00 = 80 widgets

Some aviation already comes with higher speed than 1.00, so you pay more for them, but you need less widgets to max them to +3.00

You cannot use widgets with the free aviation.

You can see all of it on a furnace in Thousand Stream City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • adlon
    adlon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Interesting read.. and I'm a nub at this game. I come from the WoW community, where I've played since release, am GM of a PVE raid guild farming Black Temple and Mount Hyjal (25 man raid instances in WoW)

What killed my enthusiasm in WoW was the habitual grind. It was fine in the original release, as it was new, we all mashed to 60, hit the first 40 man raids.... went on from there.

THEN:

Burning Crusade expansion comes out. At first, it seemed totally awesome. New zones, new level cap....
    But, along came the 'suck' ... after a short time, all your high end Epic gear got replaced by what is referred to as uncommon, or green. Green gear in WoW is the equivalent to the Level X white gear we all get here.

Questing, and the same grind were the mainstays of the expansion, and after awhile, alot of people began to realize that, after seeing all the new zone eye candy, the Expansion had nothing really new.

Grind, to prepare for raids, raid, hope everyone shows up, hopefully get your drops....

And now, there is a NEW Expansion due soon, which ups the level cap to 80, means another grind to 80, replacing my higher end gear with standard mob drops....

So, I'm here looking for something fresh, and THIS game, at my uber-leet level 15, IMO, is totally awesome. My WoW friends I asked to try this game love it. In a few weeks, I can see most of my WoW guild heading here for the newness, and the randomness of it all, with sporadic GM triggered events, which WoW was supposed to have by now, and still doesn't.

My Point: (yes, there is one)
    I paid $40.00 USD for the game itself, and another $40.00 for the first expansion.
    So, my investment for the software is $80.00

I pay $180 USD a year for the priviledge of replacing all my Epic gear with green gear (epics are purple in WoW)

The point being: IF this game has all the quality needed to attract me from WoW, which it IS starting to do, I will NOT, ever, no possibility, pay MORE than what I pay now PER YEAR to play WoW.

If EVER this game requires me to overshoot my annual expenditures in order to at least equal my WoW fun, I will no longer play the game.

So, PW guys, READ: IF and when I decide to pay YOU real money for in-game items, I will only get what I NEED to advance my character where he needs to advance so I can press on and see higher end content.

Jackets, other cutsie items, at your current rates, will never see the light of day on my toon, plain and simple. The mobs don't care if I have silk underwear on.

I could care less for an in game wedding, and personally, IMO, anyone who bought one for ANY real money has money to burn, plain and simple....

For your Demographics:
    I'm 46 years old, make over $60k US on the books, so, in the OP's post, he has me pegged. I fit right into the Admin's demographic.

Problem is, I'm not a dummy. For $60 USD, rather than an in game wedding, I'd just as soon take my girl out for a nice steak dinner. That's alot more valuable than some text pixels over my head in a pixelized, digital, FAKE world.

You Admin/ DEV's should look at WHAT formula can EMULATE a WoW, or EQ subscription, for this 'free' game.

What would it take, to get MOST players to DEFINATELY spend approx $15 USD a month. Get a formula like that, and reap the benefits.

At the end of my fairly eloquent post, I must say, these prices look like they were pulled from thin air, an 'I have NO clue, let's try THIS' approach.

I'm still playing, but so far not paying. If this lvl 60 'wall' hits, and I can't control my needed spending to at or below my current $15 USD/month expense, I'm gone. If I'm burned on WoW, I'll try the next great MMO....

Common sense guys. People NOW pay $15 bucks a month to play, how do WE get that money....

Think like this, and you have a winner IMO.
  • transcend
    transcend Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It costs $50 to get a marriage license in San Diego, CA, versus $60 for a non-binding virtual marriage in Perfect World that doesn't transfer over to any other game world. That alone is an indicator of the decisions (mistakes?) the executives of PWE are making.

I'm also in your target demographic, but still waiting for the prices to come down to something more in line with other versions before I start enhancing my game play, or, in better words, generating some revenue for your books.

I've played several MMO's that were ported over from other countries, and I hate getting shafted ALL the time in content, and now, prices.

I'll probably quit when I hit a wall that won't allow me to level without cash items unless I can get what I would consider a fair trade. This game is only one of countless entertainment options I could spend my time on, and the number of competitors in the MMO market is steadily growing, with AAA titles coming along the way.

If you'd like my patronage, please lower prices that would allow my dollar to receive the same amount of in-game content as other versions.
  • Daoso - Heavens Tear
    Daoso - Heavens Tear Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Oh deirdrea lol u cant get higher lvl then 40 without cash shop, cose u need at least hieros cose u spend pots and mp fast...

BS. Its possible to get to 60+ without hieros, just takes a little skill.

Deirdrea, for the most part you don't need cash shop items. They generally just make the game easier. However, things like charms are very useful in many instances, whether that be grinding or dungeons.

Still, charms are not as necessary as some people make them out to be. Overall they are a luxury.
  • Hitsuu - Lost City
    Hitsuu - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    very good points made by adlon, I agree 100%!!
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Ty Blanche.

@adlon -Beutifull post, if I was on the admin team of this game I'd be thinking "wow great here is some actual WOW players intrested in our game, lets pull our heads out of some dark place and give these ppl what they expect" Lets face facts WOW is the benchmark MMO, there is just NO other mmo out there with the same user base, why don't PWE just open their eyes and realise these simple thruths? Any MMO being released today is being looked at with a "is it better/equal to wow" Like the ZeroPunctuation guy said about Age of Conan, which was supposed to be really great. "Lets face it, its not as good as wow" and there u have it. Lots of players tried it and went "oooooh shiney graphics" and got bored and left. Pw CAN be a WOW-lite alternative and it CAN have a massive playerbase and sell gazillions of dollars worth of CS goods IIIIIFFFF its value for money.
    Look at the facts being stated here, getting married in real life is 10$ cheaper than in your game. A dinner for two ppl costs less than a set of clothes in your game. Its really a no brainer ppl, Real life does (unfrotunately) still come first and if you want to make money u need to compete with real life!

Also its to be noted that the main use of charms past 60 is for zhen parties and wizard chars CAN zhen on potions alone if they leave roasting array on lvl5(till they can start using lvl 70/80 potions). Soo the compnay will just lost more potential income from players rather buying ingame pots than going the easy/fast way of charms.
  • Kahlan - Heavens Tear
    Kahlan - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Good posts and good points everyone...

too bad nobody that makes the decisions cares to comment.

Now we'll get someone jump in and say "Thank you everyone, we are listening to, and weighing everything you have to say."

Yipee
  • Deirdrea - Heavens Tear
    Deirdrea - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    BS. Its possible to get to 60+ without hieros, just takes a little skill.

Deirdrea, for the most part you don't need cash shop items. They generally just make the game easier. However, things like charms are very useful in many instances, whether that be grinding or dungeons.

Still, charms are not as necessary as some people make them out to be. Overall they are a luxury.

Good to know, sounds like I won't have a problem because skill comes fairly well to me. Hell, I was one of the best money managers I knew in World of Warcraft (never needed money for anything until I hit Level 70 and started trying for my Epic Flying Mount), and I'm pretty good at working with what I have and getting favorable results.

I don't need to be uber to be good. As long as there aren't gear checks that you have to pay a lot of real money to get past, I'll be fine.

As for cost, I would probably be willing to pay $15 monthly for this game. It's superior in quality to World of Warcraft and free to downlooad and install, so honestly, it'd be worth it. This game is that damn good so far.
    ~DREAM GODDESS~
    Lindsey Lewis
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    As for cost, I would probably be willing to pay $15 monthly for this game. It's superior in quality to World of Warcraft and free to downlooad and install, so honestly, it'd be worth it. This game is that damn good so far.

I'd spend at least $60 a month but not when I only get a handful of things for that price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kotek
    edited September 2008
    WeLL... Your 40% cheaper a charm is a Jokke ... IT's stil a Realy HIgh price everyone is using a charm but fact is u can buy it only from cash shop i think that if SOMEONE wana play in a FreeTO PLAY ( and not a FREE TO pAY ) mmo he can choce betwen buy what he need in NPC with game Money
    he doesn't have to wait till somebody that pay by cash decid to sell them in Market .. that's stupid . That's not a ffp . that's a Propaganda to pull out player.. I cames here cuz i thought it was free to play but , i noticed that i would wastE more money in PW than a Decent MMo who cost 10
  • kotek
    edited September 2008
    kotek wrote: »
    WeLL... Your 40% cheaper a charm is a Jokke ... IT's stil a Realy HIgh price everyone is using a charm but fact is u can buy it only from cash shop i think that if SOMEONE wana play in a FreeTO PLAY ( and not a FREE TO pAY ) mmo he can choce betwen buy what he need in NPC with game Money
    he doesn't have to wait till somebody that pay by cash decid to sell them in Market .. that's stupid . That's not a ffp . that's a Propaganda to pull out player.. I cames here cuz i thought it was free to play but , i noticed that i would wastE more money in PW than a Decent MMo who cost 10

You got to agree that once everyone will be needing a charm.. Some use it already Some not , I think that in this game when u seee how lame is pLaying charmless against Player using charm Everyone Should be Using the Charm , OR NONE ! not Only the donator that pay 2,5$ A DaY i say everyone , sO u should Put the Charm into the NPc to be sold for around 30k max u don't need to wast people's money for something that anyway everyone will use..
    Stop making money outta your Comunoty that's lame from your part , And that's what disapointed me ...

i'm sorry to say that but it's TRUE. I noticed that u made everything for we wast our Thing faster , When u kill a Mob his LAST Hit STIll TOUCH us eveN IF he's dead , when he's dead we still give 1 last arrow story to wast 1 arrow per mob ... The cham MP is lame lol It's been using after you lost 70% MP STOP kidding Who need his charm used at 70% mp?NONE ! it should be set at 10% mp maxximum !!!!!!!!!!
    i Noticed many thing like that in This game wich make us wast more and more and faster our own , You speak us kindly but in deep you want to take us from back , That's how i feel when i see the game . I stay for now but i will left in a while if that continu since my 4 out of my 7 M8 LEFt already..

ps/ SorRY FOR MY ORRibLE ENGLIsH and my caps key is broken so sorry for caps...
  • Krimore - Lost City
    Krimore - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    First off, I think this charm "SALE" is just a distraction from the real problem, and once they see their revenues increase from this sale, it'll justify leaving the price as is. So I suggest anyone thinking about spending money to hold on to it.

With the way prices are, PWE either thinks that North Americans have way too much money and everyone is willing to spend $50+ a month on this game, in that case, then its a big failure. On the other hand, PWE might just be trying to cash in real quick with these high prices and not looking at the long term. But like many have said before, these prices have to change NOW!

I encourage those of you who want to spend money on this game to hold on to it in protest of the prices, you as the consumer have to vote with your wallet, buying cash shop items now is telling PWE that these prices are acceptable. The best scenario is to have prices where you spend about $15/month, there is a reason Blizzard, EA Mythic, Funcom and all the big MMO companies set their prices at $15/month because that is the highest acceptable price by consumers. These companies don't just go on a website and look at some meaningless statistics and set their prices, they have analysts that adjust pricing according to the market the game is in. There is a reason wow costs $15/month in the US/Canada and the pricing is different in China.
  • Lawin - Heavens Tear
    Lawin - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Ok to everyone that says Heiros are optional. They are right. It is optional, you could reach 90s even without spending a dime.

However, doing that means everything takes double or even triple time. If you absolutely do not want to pay any cash at all and be a free loader it can be done at the cost of YOUR OWN TIME. Let us get that straight.
  • alamo
    alamo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    what can i say about this...
    when will managers of PW stop pushing ppl away from the game ?
    many players from my faction left the game becuz of this, as my friends did, as i will soon enough
    prices should be 3times lower, and you will sell enough zen to get more benefit than your tard strategy you have in place right now
    tested with a wiz lvl 40-50 active pvp/pve buying only hieros and dulls cost 20$ every 2 days,so this let ppl 3 choices either learn to play without it (where u are loosing money), spend 150-300$ per month(how many you bet are able to do that for a game), or leave the game (where you are loosing money)
    there is no economical ******** here, just need to be realistic
    warhammer is out, everyone sees that he spend more in pw within 1week than what it cost him to buy warhammer
    anyway i played pw had fun with my friends, they left for this reason, im still here and im getting bored, gonna join them soon enough, cuz i really doubt anything will change before next month, and i will be gone by then.
    this version of pw could have been great, if the cs wasn't put this way
  • moyles
    moyles Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    WE NEED A REPLY!!!
    we need a reply from someone,i dont want to grind away for hours just to see this version fail.Enough time has passed now,surely you have enough responses here to help you decide?
    At least stop ignoring us as its the wrong way to attract players or to retain the ones that havent already given up on you!!!!
    CMON WHATS TAKING YOU SO LONG?
    Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
    Laurence J Peter(1919-1988)
  • kotek
    edited September 2008
    funny you said we pay expensiv to have gm 's help

and you don't even answer , so where passing our money? lol stop kidding answer this post asap . Any other thread is answered already theese one need year to be answered... don't hide we wont eat you we will just leave the server nothing else.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    a lot of people just vanished one fine morning
    I was going to post a reply... then I realized, you would likely reply in anger and insult me, to which I'd most likely respond with a wittier comment or slay you with a macro and then, onlookers, seeing that comments had been made, would interpret the traffic as interest, thus earning you attention you don't deserve for your **** post. So, when you DON'T see a comment from me, THAT is me saying "FAIL" in a much more effective manner.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • l0ki
    l0ki Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    moyles wrote: »
    WE NEED A REPLY!!!
    we need a reply from someone,i dont want to grind away for hours just to see this version fail.Enough time has passed now,surely you have enough responses here to help you decide?
    At least stop ignoring us as its the wrong way to attract players or to retain the ones that havent already given up on you!!!!
    CMON WHATS TAKING YOU SO LONG?

We already got a reply. They made a 40% discount on those charms instead of changing zen prices.. Isn't that a B**ch? Oh well. I'm never buying those charms from those cash shop anyway.. Just save some Coins and buy them from players.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    l0ki wrote: »
    I'm never buying those charms from those cash shop anyway.. Just save some Coins and buy them from players.

I won't even do that, as I will have indirectly supported this overinflation. They don't want my money so I'm not about to be a reason for them to get anyone elses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elonia
    elonia Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I have just arrived at lvl 10 and came on here to purchase some cash shop items. I was shocked at the prices like the rest of you. (and I thought FLYFF was over the top).

Also, I think I have enjoyed reading everyones logical debates on this subject almost as much as playing the game. For those who wrote "just wait and see what happens", "stop bickering and whining"
    When in history when faced with both small and large topics (let's face it this one is rather small) has that ever been a good idea? First off, make a stand, don't purchase from the cash shop until prices drop. Secondly, voice your opinion here, even if it's all been said already. Theres power in numbers.

FREEDOM!
    - Mel Gibson, Braveheart
  • elonia
    elonia Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Great game by the way
  • foolrunning
    foolrunning Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I must say I'm really disappointed. I quit the game for a couple weeks to give the company time to get the prices straightened out. Looks like nothing has been changed.
    I know a lot of people that have gone back to the MY version where they can at least afford the item mall items.

The worst part is that people will probably still pay these insane prices and make it impossible for the free players to be useful because all the item mall items will sell for so much in-game.

Sad.... really sad. :(
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I must say I'm really disappointed. I quit the game for a couple weeks to give the company time to get the prices straightened out. Looks like nothing has been changed.
    I know a lot of people that have gone back to the MY version where they can at least afford the item mall items.

The worst part is that people will probably still pay these insane prices and make it impossible for the free players to be useful because all the item mall items will sell for so much in-game.

Sad.... really sad. :(

They are trying here's a start click here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • kotek
    edited September 2008
    sikozu wrote: »

this is a jokke 40% lol still price are high and still It's least for 2week only Pointless action :mad:
  • Cat - Heavens Tear
    Cat - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    kotek wrote: »
    this is a jokke 40% lol still price are high and still It's least for 2week only Pointless action :mad:

QFT, I agree 100%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada

Didn't anyone tell you that you wanted to sleep with me?!?! I thought you knew....
  • Moogle - Lost City
    Moogle - Lost City Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    sikozu wrote: »

To me "this sale will run for two weeks" + "take advantage of this while you can" = prices going back up.

If this is their "effort" I say try harder.
This discussion has been closed.