Cannot Connect to Server error?

Options
akkah
akkah Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Support Desk
Ok, the Open Beta has obviously started. Thing is, I can't log into the game. It starts up completely fine, but the servers on the server list show no info other than the name of the server. No ping, nothing.

After I enter my info and try to login, the "40 seconds until timeout" window appears for about 15 seconds, when I get the error "Unable to connect".

Any way to fix this?
Post edited by akkah on

Comments

• bladezor
    bladezor Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Lol thats what exactly happened to me...
    It gets me all mad...
  • akkah
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Admins, any help please?
  • akkah
    edited September 2008
    Options
    bump...............................................
  • catly2
    catly2 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    i also have this problem, unable to connect...i played the different region of perfect world it worked on xp and gave an unable to connect error for vista(the same computer by dual booting). Its already unblocked from my firewall not sure what's causing this.
  • bladezor
    edited September 2008
    Options
    If you can use the Internet then you should be able to connect the server
    I got no idea whats causing this -.-
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You may have to re-install your client, and patch again and see if it works for you.

Or, re-download the client and re-install.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • bladezor
    edited September 2008
    Options
    K im reinstalling it right now
    But just curious, do you think Hiding the folder by going to its properties has something to do with this problem?
    just wondering... =p
  • bladezor
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Um...
    Re installing the client doesnt help...
    This stinks, this is such a good game I bet
    and now i can't play it, gotta find another one D=
  • merlion
    merlion Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    same problem here... Zzz, Lost city took 3 sec before saying cannot connect to server and Heavens Tears took 20 sec. makes no diff though. Zzz
  • akkah
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Bump..........
  • akkah
    edited September 2008
    Options
    No one can help? =(
  • catly2
    catly2 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    it could be your antivirus blocking connections to the game.
  • akkah
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It most certaintly is not.
  • greylife
    greylife Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Having the same problems myself. Digging around in the folders I found this:

..\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\element\userdata\server\serverlist.txt

Inside that was this:

Heavens Tear (PVE) 29000:pwigc4.perfectworld.com 3
    Lost City (PVP) 29000:pwigc3.perfectworld.com 5

(That's 29000[colon]pwigc4.perfectworld.com, no smilie)

I'm guessing that 29000 is the port used to connect and the rest is it's addy. The pwigc4.perfectworld.com addy translates into IP: 64.74.134.61 which I pinged from network-tools.com and it timed out. Can anyone who can connect check theirs to see if this is incorrect? Maybe there was a change here that a few (or a lot) of us missed. I'll see if I can mess with it a bit and I'll let everyone know if I get any results.

Good luck guys.

-GreyLife
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Exactly the same, and I get a timeout when pinging. No problems logging into the game.

Make sure you have elementclient.exe added to your antivirus and firewall exceptions lists (check your Windows firewall too). Some routers also have built-in firewalls that you may need to edit to allow the game through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • greylife
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response, ryu. Checking the rest of the forum, you really are on top of things.

On the downside, firewall has allowed elementclient.exe as well as patcher (no problems patching, though), my router is forwarding port 29000, even tried disabling firewall entirely and still no luck. Assuming it's not, is your serverlist.txt any different from mine? Perhaps it's a problem of location? I am in PA. Considering the time differences, I'm assuming the server is west coast-based... maybe a lack of connection somewhere in between? I'll keep trying.

Thanks again.

-GreyLife
  • ryuuzaki
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I checked my serverlist.txt and it is indeed identical to yours. =\
    Location shouldn't really make much of a difference... there's people connecting from all over the world, so across the same contintent should be no trouble.

The next thing I'd recommend is running a full antivirus and anti-spyware scan. Sometimes there's nasty little things hiding away that like to redirect internet traffic. Best to rule that out too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • greylife
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Heh, of course the one thing I didn't disable was my PeerGuardian2. It apparently assumes that it's a SanDisk network. Upon disabling it, it let me right on through. I'm editing my security settings to allow it through. Hope this helps to some.

Narrowing things down:

Spam/ad/spyware blocking software can be an issue too...

Why didn't I think of that first...?

Thanks again, ryu. Even though you suggested it (in nearly every post I've seen with the same problem) I overlooked it again and again.

-GreyLife
  • darthpanda16
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ryuuzaki = awesomeness *bows* :D
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • akkah
    edited September 2008
    Options
    greylife wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response, ryu. Checking the rest of the forum, you really are on top of things.

On the downside, firewall has allowed elementclient.exe as well as patcher (no problems patching, though), my router is forwarding port 29000, even tried disabling firewall entirely and still no luck. Assuming it's not, is your serverlist.txt any different from mine? Perhaps it's a problem of location? I am in PA. Considering the time differences, I'm assuming the server is west coast-based... maybe a lack of connection somewhere in between? I'll keep trying.

Thanks again.

-GreyLife

Well what do you know, I'm in PA, too!
    Just a question:
    Since your problem was based upon PeerGuardian2, would that mean that by disabling utorrent should be able to log in?

EDIT: Tried it, didn't work.
  • cissi
    cissi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I cant connect to the servers either -.- Theres no ping nor status, and Ive allowed the game in my firewall. My sis didnt have any problem at all on her computer with the game. Dont know why I have, its frustrating. :(
  • akkah
    edited September 2008
    Options
    bump.........
  • xalgosch
    xalgosch Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    what a **** i wrote somthing about the constelation and wenn i post it only this was in the post

"ok 2 pc"

i wrote 20 rows

ok again

a savebutton works "gg"

so 2 pcs on the same switch to the same router(internet).
    1 PC is gaming 2 PC is office
    i install PWI client on the 1 ok start clioent no update can be installed other posts inthe forum.
    so i installed it on the 2 pc and oh i can update lol.
    on the 2 pc after update i login on the pve server i see the pings ok no problems.
    i overwrite the files on the 1 PC with the updated files from 2 pc.
    start the client on the 1 PC again and ok the client is V5 so i pressed Start.
    OH there are no pings on the Serverlist, ok try login and the error comes.

1PC no update and no login on gameserver
    2PC update and login on gameserver
    both
    Windows XP
    no firewall
    no Windows firewall
    no antivirus software
    all ports open for all ips in the lan

i had no problems with games on the 1 PC (internet games)

HELP

sorry for my bad english
  • darthpanda16
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Send me your dxdiag in a PM for the computer that won't connect.
  • xalgosch
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ok there is one difference from PC 1 to 2.

on the 1 PC with the problems is Windows XP SP3 installed.
    on the 2 PC without problems is Windows XP SP2 installed.

is this the problem? not compatible with SP3?
  • darthpanda16
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Might be. This will take some time to test among us. Hopefully the community will be able to help figure this out. :D
  • xalgosch
    edited September 2008
    Options
    i install WinXP SP3 on the PC with no problems and post the result
  • ryuuzaki
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I have XP SP3 installed at home without any issues. =\

Have you run a virus and spyware scan on that computer lately? Do you have any programs that may affect data transfer (like Internet speed enhancing software, bandwidth shapers etc.). Have you closed down any and all non-essential programs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xalgosch
    edited September 2008
    Options
    no is standart windows xp no software for tweaking
    i have no problems with other games and software
    no other configuration for network (ok other ip address "gg")

i closed all software in the background but same problems
  • ryuuzaki
    edited September 2008
    Options
    In that case, you should definitely run some scans for virus and spyware. If another computer on the network can connect without any problems, then it's unlikely to be the router.

Try opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /flushdns

Otherwise, I'd like to see a HijackThis log.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.