Closed Beta Leveling Contest - finished

Options

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sure, sure, bring common sense and logic into the discussion ;)
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • kelo
    kelo Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    *sigh*

People are rewarded for leveling instead of finding bugs... this is not what a beta is about IMO. I reported some bugs in the first days, but that was not important to PWE I guess... You could have set this straight at start: "don't worry about finding bugs, leveling up is the most important thing to do"

This is disappointing. I wouldn't even have bothered entering CB and wouldn't have lost my time if you had said the true purpose of the beta.

Oh well, I can only hope you will do better in OB.

P.S. I agree that rewarding lvl40 is stupid, especially if people have some lvl20+ characters... (this is not my case)
    ~ Through the darkest of night, we shall shine brightly, revealing the path to both friendship and glory ~
    Kelovar, Radiance executor
  • temptations
    temptations Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    This isin't about the CbB now its about the future, this little event is a way of keeping there customer database for OB, spec as so many ppl will loose all ther work up to now and think ok wtf should i go back its called a teaser, to get you to come back and get some more.get over it **** happens basicly, keeep makeing a drama well i h8 to c how u hadle Rl **** when it goes pear shaped
  • irbis
    irbis Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    [irbis enter the chat covered in blood and dust with some hairs still burning]
    *cough cough* just made 30lvl.... *cough* one hour ago. been killed 21 times so far. you know what i think about this PvP only CB? really wanna know?
    [Irbis unzip his pants]
    bombs away...!

and seriously. it is THAT bad. a freaking holocaust of newbie 30lvl's. see you all at OB PvE server guys! if i want to be killed that offten in game i would just play UT and stick with impacthammer all the way lol. so bye bye

(for ppl unable to see hows that related to the topic - WELL GEEE "KILL PPL RUSHING TO 40LVL FIESTA"???)
    (in my eyes this contest is nothing else then a tool for grifing. i am a big fellow, this doesnt affects me that bad. it is anoying but not more then and agro bee is. but as i see many your player base is ppl under 18years. and many of them will be hurted just now. they want to get to 40lvl very bad and they are constantly killed. this mix of "rush" and "obstacles" will make them frustrated and as a final result they will give up on PW or become grifers. you dont need a harvard diploma to see that. a hyper common logic about the bully<->pray relationship. when the pray become a bully himself. in the worst scenario. as a final note - i advice you to rethink any idea more then just once before implementing it to the game. or - if you made an mistake,to have the balls to fix it right away. doing nothing is the worst way to act now. )
    There exist only three beings worthy of respect:
    the priest, the soldier, the poet.
    To know, to kill, to create.
    -severan
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    Options
    My character is already lvl 40+,
    But that doesnt change my mind that this event is not fair, some players stoped playing at a certain lvl or did not even play CB since characters will get wiped, then you announce that you can win Zen in the last 5 days???

Cause of school, homework, sport practice most people are "able" to play 1-3 hours a day, I bet a GM couldnt get to lvl 40+ in 5 days from playing 2 hours a day.

PS:* Raising the lvl to get Zen in Open Beta and mentioning it at the first day of Closed Beta is soo much more fair than what this company pulled off now* =(

sealed~
  • wiw
    wiw Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm curious... say if I have 3 lvl 40+ characters, would I get 3000 zen? ;)
  • kaeriin
    kaeriin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    wiw wrote: »
    I'm curious... say if I have 3 lvl 40+ characters, would I get 3000 zen? ;)

I thought about that too... lvl 37 Bm, lvl 32 Fox... If so I would definitely get both to 40, but I doubt it
  • killu
    killu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    is it possiable to level from 18-40 in 4 days playing only 3 hours a day?
    Lost City -
    Class: Barbarian
    Level: 1x
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    killu wrote: »
    is it possiable to level from 18-40 in 4 days playing only 3 hours a day?

If you have tons of in-game gold to buy loads of Dragon Quest items and you level only on that, maybe.

Otherwise no.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • felf
    felf Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The event is there to give players an incentive to level, and for them to spend more time in-game, so that when all of the accounts wipe they'll have something a little better than everyone else. The aim of an mmo is to be better than everyone else, at least that applies for PvP servers.

With that said, I only just realized this event was running, and i'm not willing to grind 27 levels like crazy over the next few days. That lack of effort alone will put me at the bottom when the deletes roll over, and ultimately, make me not want to bother playing altogether.

I may or may not continue playing when open beta commences, but one thing's for certain. I doubt i'll ever take this game seriously enough now to spend any money on it.

In the end, that's the only thing this event was ever meant to accomplish.
    More people play, more people spend their money.
    I have nothing against that, we all need money..
  • hayhay
    hayhay Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Wow lvl 40. Don't really see how we are expected to do that. Well when I say 'we' I mean us people with lives. Oh well, I'm not going to bother trying because I know I will fail. ;]
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Seeing the many hours will take to level up to 40 in 4 days, 10$ in ZEN is paying well under the minimum wage in the US ^_^
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • irbis
    edited August 2008
    Options
    just an idea. i belive rewarding people by "how long they had been playing CB" would be more suitable then this 40lvl joke. this contest rewards the grinders. and what grinders do? well geee grind. i mean most of the points of their interest are focused around XP and lvl. i know people who are playing CB from the very first day, they were doing quests, travel around the PW world, explored the game in any way the could think of. and so they could find a more wide variarity of bugs/exploits. ofcourse theres always that group who just kept standing there in the middle of city for countless hours but i belive its a minority.
    how long the CB is going? 2 weeks? 2 weeks = 14 days. lets think that a devoted player played +/- 8h per day. 8 x 14 =112h of game play. reward people who for example crossed 100h of game play and it will cover both the majority of that who achived 40 lvl and others who played and expirienced the game in more wide array. and v'la. the wolf is full, and the sheep is in one pieace. like hitting two birds with one rock. but you havent though about this, havent you...?
    btw: if anybody would suggest this would benefit me in any way: lol you fail as i hardly belive i have even 1/4 of the gameplay i suggested which would be needed for reward, so get off me.
    btw2: ive been a game designer for 2 years in past. on MMORPG project and we done something like this which as a final result made for us a very happy beta testers comunity \before even the real thing started.
    btw3. btw2 isnt my show off - i doubt anybody will me give even the smallet "Ohhhhhh" of respect for it. its here just to prove that this idea doesnt come from the air itself. its been used before, checked and it worked.
    -severan
  • qiox
    qiox Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't understand the reaction here. They know what level everyone is right now. They also have an idea of how many people will reach level 40. Consequently, they know how much they will likely give away.

The people complaining know nothing about any of that and are arguing from ignorance and selfishness.
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The only thing i don't like about this is the prize being zen, but since i can't do anything about it...
    Oh and @giox: everyone is selfish. that's a part of human nature. it's just that some people think they are "better" when they deny it.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kamina
    kamina Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Lol why wasn't this announced at the BEGINNING of closed beta? It would've gave me a reason to level, but now I'm on vacation from the 28th to the 1st. -_-

But oh well, 1000 Zen is only 10 gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IGN: Kamina
    Class: Lv. 58 EA
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: UnLimited
  • sahrai
    sahrai Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kamina wrote: »
    Lol why wasn't this announced at the BEGINNING of closed beta? It would've gave me a reason to level, but now I'm on vacation from the 28th to the 1st. -_-

But oh well, 1000 Zen is only 10 gold.

According to Xarfox, it would have hurt the PvE'rs feelings.
    Official PWI irc: irc.deltaanime.net #pwint
    IdleRPG with hilarious customizations included. No chat penalty; others remain the same.
  • irbis
    edited August 2008
    Options
    sahrai wrote: »
    According to Xarfox, it would have hurt the PvE'rs feelings.
    which is one big LOL as the majority of complainers about this contest are PvE players exactly. PKers are happy like monkey with bottomless bag of bannanas as they can mess with ppl and make tem more angry. (ofcourse not all of them. i never state anything about everyone but the overall)
    -severan
  • simil
    simil Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm sorry but I just can't see trying to get to level 40 now for any reason... One the announcement came too late. Secondly if 1000 zen = 10 gold ?!?!? WTF???? At least on the MY server 1000 Cubis = 100 gold. Made it worth that much more to actually grind out levels and do quests. Even if it was a PK server it was still worth getting the level. Maybe if PWI changed the zen rate then it might be worth it, but for now I am not even going to bother. Here's and even better idea. How about PWI actually put up something (I don't know a link showing zen rate exchange and cost) somewhere on this site so we know what we are actually looking forward too. I leave that up to the idiots at PWI to do that
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    simil wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I just can't see trying to get to level 40 now for any reason... One the announcement came too late. Secondly if 1000 zen = 10 gold ?!?!? WTF???? At least on the MY server 1000 Cubis = 100 gold. Made it worth that much more to actually grind out levels and do quests. Even if it was a PK server it was still worth getting the level. Maybe if PWI changed the zen rate then it might be worth it, but for now I am not even going to bother. Here's and even better idea. How about PWI actually put up something (I don't know a link showing zen rate exchange and cost) somewhere on this site so we know what we are actually looking forward too. I leave that up to the idiots at PWI to do that
    Uh.. what? The correct translations would be zen -> cubicoins, gold -> cubigold. 100 zen = 1 gold, 100 cubicoins = 1 cubigold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • machinebow
    machinebow Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    i Didnt wanna post at the risk of being called a whiner but here it is, What about the people that used cb for what it was actually for.... Like i hate to say it but yes some no lifers who really have nothing to do with their day did grind off and get to 40 maybie even 50 someone give um a thumbs up, but what about the new players to PW that made multipal chars and explored the world to actually learn the game and find bugs(a lot of quest dialog is poor english all that ive seen) we get shafted. I made a bunch of chars trying to find the right 1 and honestly the thing that is making me not wanna play is your lack of insight to the demands of the players ur supplying to a small% and people who think like that are just poor in business. PM me give mea job maytbie ill help u guys out but right now ur looking doomed to be another 3d average mmorpg which I and a lot of people are not willing to play. I will give 1 suggestion for free;
    Make monsters drop better items that way the nerd grinders dont get bored cuz every few days they should get a very good and rare item cuz right now the drops from mobs are terrable and like all games u should try to make it as exciting as possible right now ur very dull no substitute. Had a few to drink and since u guys so so terribly unpro i figued id be too maybie ud get me ja knwo?
  • felf
    edited August 2008
    Options
    machinebow wrote: »
    i Didnt wanna post at the risk of being called a whiner but here it is, What about the people that used cb for what it was actually for.... Like i hate to say it but yes some no lifers who really have nothing to do with their day did grind off and get to 40 maybie even 50 someone give um a thumbs up, but what about the new players to PW that made multipal chars and explored the world to actually learn the game and find bugs(a lot of quest dialog is poor english all that ive seen) we get shafted. I made a bunch of chars trying to find the right 1 and honestly the thing that is making me not wanna play is your lack of insight to the demands of the players ur supplying to a small% and people who think like that are just poor in business. PM me give mea job maytbie ill help u guys out but right now ur looking doomed to be another 3d average mmorpg which I and a lot of people are not willing to play. I will give 1 suggestion for free;
    Make monsters drop better items that way the nerd grinders dont get bored cuz every few days they should get a very good and rare item cuz right now the drops from mobs are terrable and like all games u should try to make it as exciting as possible right now ur very dull no substitute. Had a few to drink and since u guys so so terribly unpro i figued id be too maybie ud get me ja knwo?

..I agree with the drunken guy, the drops are extremely poor. (to the extent where after a few dozen kills, a piece of equipment finally decides to drop, but they're exactly the same as equipment sold by the vendors in every single little town/village in the entire game. they're not worth any gold to the vendors, and no players would buy it from you.)

If your inventory is full, then the player leaves the equipment on the floor, because equipment has no monetary value, some random piece of animal fur with an 80% drop rate sells for 8x the said ammount of nothing.

There's a lot of typo's in quests as well, and literally every NPC in the game is indistinguishable by name.

There's also a glitch south-west of lost city, by a tree, where you can fall through the ground and the screen eventually goes black, you just keep falling. But lol, good luck finding that. I'd be able to level limitless characters to lv.40 before you figured out where that was.
  • ara
    ara Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    drops aren't too good only from normal mobs (you can still get nice blue stats on dropped items, +% crit may drop for example, or rings with lots of +atk stats,...).

If you go hunt for equipment, get your lazy **** into the dungeons. The bosses nearly always drop 3star items, sometimes molders for golden items, that's where you get your equipment early on.
  • snaptrap
    snaptrap Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    More greatness.

So, the purpose of CB is to weed out all the bugs. People who make multiple characters and try different things to help make the game better will probably get nothing in the end of this deal. Who in the hell is going to have a level 40 character when you're focused on bug testing? There's a lot more to the game than gaining levels. I think this company is confused about priorities.

I guess I'll fire up my piece of **** character and try to make level 40 without any regard for reporting the bugs I find. Heck, maybe I'll just ditch this game and go play Requiem.
  • aloysiusknight
    aloysiusknight Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Sorry, I'm far too lazy to read through all of this, but I'm rather confused about this...
    40 levels in less than 5 days, for 10 dollars worth of gold.
    Why?
    It simply doesn't make sense to me. Oh, and everyone else whom, let's say, only joined yesterday, or the day before, or had a life and/or a family to provide for and didn't quite have the time to play, get nothing.
    Or the people whom had school.
    Or the people whom had been sick.
    ... Are you doing this on purpose?
    Do you realize how much stress this can put on some people?
    Some people might not even realize that 1000 zen (as you people put it, nice way to make less seem like more) is only ten American dollars of gold.
    I might understand if there was some kind of other reward.
    Like, perchance 10 gold for participating in closed beta, that won't be whiped because we love you all so much and want you to continue playing and being loyal although everything you have worked for for the past week or so is now reduced to nothing.
    But nope, Poor Jimmy gets shanked for trying so, so very hard to get to level 40.

Example -
    Poor little Jimmy who caught the stomach flu and wasn't able to do anything for two days misses out on his chance to see the announcement on the big, bad, 10 gold giveaway.
    Jimmy has 3 days left.
    Jimmy finally reads about the announcement and becomes very, very hyped about it.
    But beforehand, Jimmy wasn't training too hard, because he wasn't expecting what was going on, so he decides that he was going to work really hard to get where he wanted to get.
    "1000 zen!", he says to himself. "That's like, 100 gold!".
    So he began to pull all nighters to reach where he was trying to go, playing 16 hours for those two days.
    Holding his bathroom needs until it became slightly unhealthy
    And seldom eating, because he was just so close to getting those three last Lynx eyes
    His mother gets angry at him, because it's Sunday and he's up at three a.m
    Later that day, he's at school, suffering from sleep deprivation.
    He continues thinking over his build, where he was going to go next, what he was going to do.
    "Three levels every two hours. I have to do that. I have to", he says to himself.
    So there Jimmy goes, trying really hard to get that 1000 zen prize.
    He promises his girlfriend that if she gets on during Open Beta, he'll spoil her with great gifts.
    He reaches level 48, not even aware of what he was doing, and at that point, he falls asleep at his computer.

He crashed.

He woke up to go to school that day, still suffering mentally from all the strain he had gone through.
    His girlfriend's excited, for it was their anniversary that day, and although Jimmy as well as his family was rather poor, Jimmy not having a job at 15.
    She's so excited, that she is unaware at his broken physical, as well as mental state.
    So, that day, Open Beta begins.
    How happy they were.

He was starting to feel hot, and he began to sweat.

So, he signs on, makes his character hurriedly, opens up the cash shop, and becomes very scared.
    He sees no zen in his account, he begins to freak out, his heart begins to beat faster and faster.
    But that's alright, he calms himself down, mostly because he never claimed his free zen.
    Repeating those steps, he feels confident now, knowing full well that he received his zen.
    But, when he sees how many gold coins he had, he gasps, and then thus faints on the ground, tired, exhausted, and disappointing.
    Because in his account, in the cash shop, there was only 10 gold coins.

He crashed and burned.

~Example End~

I'm not going to get angry, I'm not going to try and bark either, because I know that doesn't do anything.
    I would just like to know, why? Why must a game become work just for 10 gold?
    What did we ever do to you?
    Are you bringing this on us on purpose?
    Some of us depend a lot on those cash shop items, especially after you gave us that small, small taste of 50 coins.
    Did we do something bad towards you?
    Is it something that we did?

Yes, I know, they lose a tad bit of money, but it's not like they're paying for it themselves.
    They don't pay for zen for us. They just spawn it, because all zen is, is a variable.
    I won't stop playing over this, because Perfect World is a great game.
    And although I've spent my time, grinding myself into the dirt for something that I wasn't even aware was just ten dollars worth of gold that I won't be able to by anything wonderful and substantial for it, I'm not going to stop playing.
    Mostly, it's my blind faith that humanity isn't as bad as I think it is.

Yes, I probably have absolutely no right to ask why, or when, what how, whatever.
    But that does not douse my curiosity.

Carpe Diem,
    Larkham

Note - I am aware that in many cases, it is brought upon themselves, but that still doesn't change the fact that waving around hope in other people's faces, people whom may be too tired, too sick, too distracted, and other such things to notice that they're working large amounts for something so very, very small, is simply sadistic, cruel, and borderline sick, because really, who doesn't want free money?
    Perfect World is an addictive game as it is, and doing such things just make you begin to hate it.
    Either that, or they begin to play it to such an extent that they start to hurt themselves just so they can either make themselves or others happy, most likely unaware of how little they work for and how almost impossible the task is.

Note II - Yes, I am aware that most people are most likely not going to read this, at all. But hey, why not give it a try?

Note III - I am expecting to be flamed.
    "You'd be nonconforming to if you looked just like me" - Emos

Hephaestus - Leader of Memento
    Location - Heaven's Tear
  • irbis
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ommm. well. that example part was one of the best Role-Play ive seen rotfl.
    dont worry. i wrote a nice post myself like 1-2 pages ago, and no one bothered to even flame me... its like hitting a brick wall. pointless
    -severan
  • aloysiusknight
    aloysiusknight Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Understandable. Thanks for the support, I expected my post to be completely ignored more than anything xD
    But I thought I might as well try, y'know?
    All of that effort wasted, and all of the negative effects that it causes, I mean, I'm not a hippy or anything, nor do I have an especially great love for humanity in general, it's simply that...
    Well, it just seems plain wrong, inefficient to boot.
    I feel a whole lot better getting that off of my chest though xD

Though the brick wall stands, made of rock and dirt, we too came from the ground, from the dirt of the Earth. With enough effort, with enough knowledge and tactics, one person may be able to do it, but it won't be likely, for there is most likely nothing around to allow the mortal man create tools to help overcome the wall.
    And although he can simply walk around such a wall, the wall will still exist.
    But enough people were to work together, if enough people were to hit the wall, push it, shout at it, kick it, scream at it, then maybe, just maybe, the wall may fall, or at the very least feel the pain that those people feel, and may push itself over.

If only the wall and the mortal man could get along, perchance the wall could be used to protect the mortal man from something dangerous, something detrimental to the mortal mans help, and perchance the mortal man could continue to build up the wall, clean it and treat it well every day. After all, both the wall and the mortal man both came from the same dirt from the Earth, and both will eventually return to the dirt of the Earth.
    "You'd be nonconforming to if you looked just like me" - Emos

Hephaestus - Leader of Memento
    Location - Heaven's Tear
  • undertakken
    undertakken Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    k guys don't know what's wrong with you guys but from my part PWI stuff has 10+ for the 10 bucks .is like starting a new life and someone give's u the LCD for free.
    I personaly play just for fun but i was surprinsed too when i heard about the "gift",i'm lvl 40 and din't know about this "gift" till 2 days ago.
    Cmon ppl play don't cry and ask for something even if you don't deserv it! PWI has "0" obligations when we talk about special events and stuff like that!PWI make it for us to have a lil more fun in this game.

PS:if you guys was playing only 1h on day i bet you guys was not lvl 40 but lvl 50!if you like the game ,you play no matter what(think for just a sec if this game was "pay to play" was better? )
    Great job PWI,keep it !
    And 1 more thing :i work and have girlfriend(actually wife) and still have time to play 1h/1-2days,what can i say ,i don't have healt problems like jimmy :)
  • felf
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I personaly play just for fun but i was surprinsed too when i heard about the "gift",i'm lvl 40 and din't know about this "gift" till 2 days ago.

Well of course you wouldn't have any problems there, you just scored a straight and random $10 of in-game money..
    PS:if you guys was playing only 1h on day i bet you guys was not lvl 40 but lvl 50!

Try a variation of several lv.10-20 characters. And try 5-6 hours a day.
    But.. you're right, all the other players who have played one character for a (single) hour a day, and attained level 40+ (compared to my 5-6 hours a day), get something (which I do not).

I feel equally, if not more intitled to the reward that they get, but whatever.
    if you like the game ,you play no matter what(think for just a sec if this game was "pay to play" was better? )

It most likely was better, assuming that people didn't have to pay for zen on top of the (monthly?) fee. Any game where one player can buy their way above several hundred others is beyond rediculous.

I'll make this my last post, before I go back to playing WoW, again. (To whom i'd much rather be paying my money, as opposed to the guys here at PWI.)

Btw: I didn't think it was legal for 10 year olds to get married.
  • karmelia
    edited September 2008
    Options
    felf wrote: »
    I feel equally, if not more intitled to the reward that they get, but whatever.

So far, the decisions the admins took for this game don't impress me much.

What will make many players stay or leave will be the cash shop prices. And I don't have a good feeling about that either.