The Name quality thread

124»

Comments

• pxragez0r
    pxragez0r Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    k here, for the skeptical, is a definition from chinese -> english translation from a respected dictionary:

http://dict.iciba.com/archosaur/
    archosaur
    n.

[古]祖龙, 初龙

It works word for word. So why not.
    but I'm too used to the old translation of Ancient dragon city, so I'm still going to refer to that place as ADC, too bad and good BBQ.
    ~ hungry for c00kies ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    blueparrot wrote: »
    Lol, that's not the point. What Ragingwind is doing is making a suggestion, which is what we (as customers) are supposed to do. How can a customer's concerns be "not a problem" for the game's publishers? (Well, it can "not be a problem", but a game where players are not happy won't last very long...)

*Your* suggestion is a bad idea for everyone - the people in charge of PWI lose a (potentially paying) customer, and people like Ragingwind lose what is otherwise a good game.

Also, I was just trying to make a joke with that specific point. I simply thought it was funny. I didn't expect someone to seriously debate. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I appreciate the good point you made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blueparrot
    blueparrot Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    pxragez0r wrote: »
    archosaur
    n.

[古]祖龙, 初龙

ROFL - Archosaur City? The translators from PW-PH must have looked up the wrong words in the dictionary. Yes, like you said, it fits the Chinese words... but I really doubt the Chinese developers had 'archosaur' in mind. 'Ancestral dragon' is surely what they meant.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the developers didn't know that 祖龍 could mean 'archosaur'. I for one have never heard of the animal 'archosaur', either in Chinese or in English, until closed beta started.
    Again, this is the ****ing international version, we don't need the ******** chinese names and mythology.

But the very nature of Perfect World is that it is a Chinese mythology-based MMORPG. Sure, it's not as obviously Eastern-based as games like 9Dragons, but just look at the cities and the NPCs and you'll see the Eastern influence. It would be weirder if an NPC wore Chinese silk robes and stood in a pavilion, but talked to me about knights in shining armour and dragon-slaying.

I do think the NPC names need changing though. Like other people said, everyone's called Hu or something generic like that. That's like calling everyone John, Mary and Bob. I think it would make more sense to for NPCs to have full names like Wen Linfang, Lu Zuobei or Kuei Jin (ok, they just came off the top of my head). Chinese-sounding but more individualised.

EDIT:
    ragingwind wrote:
    Also, I was just trying to make a joke with that specific point. I simply thought it was funny. I didn't expect someone to seriously debate.

I gave up being funny on forums a long time ago. Too many people simply don't get jokes and start flaming you... Being serious extinguishes those annoying fires pretty quickly.
  • ragingwind
    edited August 2008
    blueparrot wrote: »
    I gave up being funny on forums a long time ago. Too many people simply don't get jokes and start flaming you... Being serious extinguishes those annoying fires pretty quickly.
    Yeah, but I'm always so serious on here. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khaai
    khaai Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Well at the very beginning when I logged into PWI I was totally shocked and was about to delete it right away... And yes, it was because of all name changes. I never expected it to be a 100% reflection of MY, but some of the changes stroke me like lightning.... o_O
    And the biggest surprise to me was Archosaur..... Having in mind this game is solely based on Chinese mythology, is there a more bright symbol of China (and Asia...) than the dragon.... To me it's the heart of perfect world (dragon quests, dragon tablets, etc.... are they going to rename them to dinosaur quests?)..... there are things that may be changed, and there are things that shouldn't.

IMO all names sound simplified to stupidity and lacking depth to such extent that it seems it was prepared for little kids and somehow the phantasy element is totally lost..... Elysium Fleddling sounds million times better than simply Phoenix, and so does Ephyralling before Young Butterfly.... You get the point. As far as i can tell the mob names in PW MY have latin roots in their names which fits their nature perfectly...

I know it's not possible at all, but I would like to have the same mob/herb names like in PW-MY. Nervine grass was renamed to something like golden root or something... O_O

Also, maybe this is not the right place to post this but I would like to discuss the quality of fonts used in game..... It's a bit skinny and not very readable, in other words ugly... :(:( Maybe this will improve with time, but at least if it was bold I think it would be better. And the best font IMO is the one the PW MY uses.... Amazingly readable, beautiful, suitable for mission, chat, etc. everything. :DDD I suppose this is not difficult to change. :p
  • ragingwind
    edited August 2008
    Khaai, you reminded me of something silly I noticed earlier. The ermines were renamed as Minkii. Minkii. When I say that name out loud, I honestly think of the CareBears. It sounds like a cute little fuzzy friend of theirs. I'm sure they were intending to make it seem similar to a mink, but they failed with that one. It just makes me have cuddly thoughts. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rev
    rev Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Ok so now that we are at ten pages I think action should be taken a little more in hopes to get a better quality naming to this game, so I'll make a mini poll (which will have the tallies on my OP). If we can start with "Archosaur" getting changed to something more decent sounding then that's one foot through the door, dunno what good it will do, but I say we make a vote here, and in a couple days I'll submit it either as a pm to a mod or send it as a bug report with the results of the poll. It never hurts to try. So, from here on out if you haven't posted after be sure the answer the question:

Should Archosaur be renamed to reflect the dragon theme of the city?

As the first to answer the poll: YES
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
    Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
  • elite
    elite Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i think it should be all the old names or atleast names that compair with the old names, they sound really "bad" and i can even say most as i dont know if it's right LOL.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    rev wrote: »

The dragons are hardly the main theme of the city.

But I agree that Archosaur must go.

*vote for Ancient Imperial City*
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Or just Imperial City. That works.

.... but the original Chinese mythos states that the town was very "dragon-y", and so it was named because of that. Dragons should be a part of the name, because the original Chinese has it that way.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • kyou
    kyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    khaai wrote: »
    Well at the very beginning when I logged into PWI I was totally shocked and was about to delete it right away... And yes, it was because of all name changes. I never expected it to be a 100% reflection of MY, but some of the changes stroke me like lightning.... o_O
    And the biggest surprise to me was Archosaur..... Having in mind this game is solely based on Chinese mythology, is there a more bright symbol of China (and Asia...) than the dragon.... To me it's the heart of perfect world (dragon quests, dragon tablets, etc.... are they going to rename them to dinosaur quests?)..... there are things that may be changed, and there are things that shouldn't.

IMO all names sound simplified to stupidity and lacking depth to such extent that it seems it was prepared for little kids and somehow the phantasy element is totally lost..... Elysium Fleddling sounds million times better than simply Phoenix, and so does Ephyralling before Young Butterfly.... You get the point. As far as i can tell the mob names in PW MY have latin roots in their names which fits their nature perfectly...

I know it's not possible at all, but I would like to have the same mob/herb names like in PW-MY. Nervine grass was renamed to something like golden root or something... O_O

Also, maybe this is not the right place to post this but I would like to discuss the quality of fonts used in game..... It's a bit skinny and not very readable, in other words ugly... :(:( Maybe this will improve with time, but at least if it was bold I think it would be better. And the best font IMO is the one the PW MY uses.... Amazingly readable, beautiful, suitable for mission, chat, etc. everything. :DDD I suppose this is not difficult to change. :p

Are you 9?
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    There was nothing wrong with khaai 's post O.o

Minki's sound super **** and NOT like a wolflike creature with big teeth.

I wonder if the comunity cant figure out what files store the names and stuff and maybe we can make a unoficial "patch" with proper names?

Ancient huggy bunny city ftw :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • ragingwind
    edited August 2008
    lipe124 wrote: »
    There was nothing wrong with khaai 's post O.o

I wonder if the comunity cant figure out what files store the names and stuff and maybe we can make a unoficial "patch" with proper names?

Ancient huggy bunny city ftw :P

I vote for that one. Ancient Huggy Bunny City!!! :D JK, JK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    lipe124 wrote: »

But it does sound like "mink" which, unless I'm blind, the Minki are modeled after.
  • blazmeen
    blazmeen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yes.

Arcane Dragon City ~golden0galaxy
    Imperial Dragon City

+1
  • ragingwind
    edited August 2008
    tinkus wrote: »
    But it does sound like "mink" which, unless I'm blind, the Minki are modeled after.
    I don't disagree. The thing that gets me is the sound of the name. It sounds like binky which is a nick-name for a baby's pacifier. LOL. Or, you could say that it sounds like pinky, as in "Pinky and the Brain." It just sounds like a really silly name, to me. In fact, I'm convinced that one of the employees on the team loves cutsie stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, saying it out loud does sound a little cutesy. Why not just leave it as "mink" I wonder. It's obviously the base for the animal.

Half the game is cute stuff, the other half is "lol srs bsns". Maybe they're trying to find the balance between the two extremes?
  • ragingwind
    edited August 2008
    tinkus wrote: »
    Yeah, saying it out loud does sound a little cutesy. Why not just leave it as "mink" I wonder. It's obviously the base for the animal.

Half the game is cute stuff, the other half is "lol srs bsns". Maybe they're trying to find the balance between the two extremes?
    I think it's caused by different employees with different tastes in names. I could easily add a rude comment about that but I won't. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lazor
    lazor Posts: 36
    edited August 2008
    I agree with 1st poster..Archasaur..i mean WHY!!!! but it is what it is and i doubt their ganna change it. Ancient dragon city was just fine. atm i am retraining my brain to all these new names...but Archasaur is THE worst
  • godcrusher
    godcrusher Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Change it, the name just doesn't fit ;(
  • obryan
    obryan Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yes this needs to be changed to something more suiting, Ancient Dragon City has a nice ring to it. Seeing as how the city is so important in the early game I think it needs to be changed. Finally reaching Archasaur hardly feels like an accomplishment, despite the beauty, because the name is ridiculous.
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    ok so first post updated, 7 yes, 0 no so far.
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

• ragingwind
    edited August 2008
    rev wrote: »
    ok so first post updated, 7 yes, 0 no so far.

You could easily go back through this thread and count all of the people who said that the names need to be changed as "Yes" (including me).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • godcrusher
    godcrusher Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Make it like Heavenly Dragon City or City of Dragons or something >.<
  • eniac
    eniac Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster. Count me as voting yes, change it! Archosaur just doesn't have the majestic, dignified sound of Ancient Dragon City.
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    there, hopefully that's a little more acurrate to the "Change it" posts so far.

• khaai
    khaai Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I think by far GM has already understood that Archosaur should be changed into Ancient Dragon City or anything that has dragon in it. :p:p:p
  • GuardAngel - Dreamweaver
    GuardAngel - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Yea but you guys have to know that when they change the name of Archosaur then they have to change it in all of the quests and other stuff where the name is in it.
    That takes alot of work which will let the server down and then we can't play and the people that loved the name Archosaur can't play because of us.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Old Thread is Old...though Archosaur isn't the first name I'd have given it, it has grown on me.

And before any of the raging forum haters spout their "NO NECRO" warcry, we're giving replies that pertain to the topic, so it's not bad. Take that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
This discussion has been closed.