The Name quality thread

Options
rev
rev Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Ok it's time to put your imaginations to work peoples. I have heard many complaints about the names of some things, classes, mobs, places, etc in game. It's time to put up or shut up (dramatic use of the term, not meant at all) and post your preferred name for something. I will start the thread with the biggest stupid name in the game:

Current name: Archosaur
Comment: Seriously, WTF? where did this come from? Here are two suggestions for a much better name for this beautiful city.

Suggested names:
Dragonian City
City of Dragons

C'mon devs, this name NEEDS to be changed.

MINI POLL: Should Archosaur be renamed to reflect the dragon theme of the city?

RESULTS: (counted by the amount of yes changes I saw, so might be more or less by a couple) YES 29 / NO 3 - maybe.
"Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
Post edited by rev on

Comments

• xio
    xio Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archosaur

Seems to be a fitting name for the city in my opinion.
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Honestly, you're the first to say that that I've seen, but still, most I've seen hate this name for the city, I mean MY-EN had a great name of the Ancient Dragon City. But then again this is just a thread to come up with names that sound better for those who complain.
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

• vincenth
    vincenth Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yes, Archosaur is... hmmm not good...
    Name from dinosaur group? :(

pls Admin change this for: Dragon City, Lost Dragon City, Antique Dragon City, Yore Dragon City etc.

Archosaur is not good name for this rpg, my all friend think that same.

(sorry for bad english :()
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think anything but Archosaur would work. Archosaur just doesn't fit with the game world. City of the Ancient Dragon, yes.

This is a gorgeous game, but visually and in the potential narrative. But care really needs to be taken to preserve the flavor of the world. Please don't mess that up, devs.
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You english gets your point across my friend. nice suggestions too, the city itself is grand, and needs a grand name to match. But there's also the Venomancer dispute, as well as mob names and other places too, any name that is viewed as bad is welcomed into this thread with better name suggestions, and hopefully we can get some name changes for some of the names with this thread, because if this free game is to compete with other online games, it needs all the polish and quality it can get, and that means the devs need to listen to the players and fans, to reach that quality.

• vigor
    vigor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Nah I don't think they'll change. A lot of people didn't play MY version like me so those people wont give a damn.

And I like the names how they are.

The names might be stupid for you guys that played the MY version but for new players it's completely fine since they won't know how it is on another version. New players will soon be a majority
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lost City
  • infrequentia
    infrequentia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The names doesn't really bother me as I didn't play any other version of Perfect World. :3
  • xio
    xio Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    rev wrote: »
    Honestly, you're the first to say that that I've seen, but still, most I've seen hate this name for the city, I mean MY-EN had a great name of the Ancient Dragon City. But then again this is just a thread to come up with names that sound better for those who complain.

Well it's not the best name by any means, but I like it in the sense that it isn't so literal. I never played MY-EN though, so maybe that's why the names don't bother me as much.
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    vigor wrote: »
    Nah I don't think they'll change. A lot of people didn't play MY version like me so those people wont give a damn.

And I like the names how they are.

The names might be stupid for you guys that played the MY version but for new players it's completely fine since they won't know how it is on another version. New players will soon be a majority

I played MY for all of five minutes, so I don't have that version's name scheme in my head. What I do have, however, is a love for a well-crafted world. Archosaur sticks out like a sore thumb in this mythology. When so many other locations and creatures have beautiful, and often elaborate Chinese-derived names, sticking the name "Archosaur" in the world is the same as slapping an MTV sticker on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

I agree new players will outnumber the veterans, but that doesn't mean we don't deserve a game that takes care in it's own world.
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    Options
    This thread isn't about MY-EN vs new players, its for those who feel that if there is some name for something that isn't to the quality this game deserves, they can put their suggestion in in hopes that we see these changes.

Factions, change to Guilds
    Squads: Change to Party or Group

• kaeriin
    kaeriin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Agreed and everyone I talked to agrees as well, we were making jokes about "Jurassic Park" and all because of it... Anything with a Dragon derivate would work much better
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The names doesn't really bother me as I didn't play any other version of Perfect World. :3

You don't need to play another version to know "Barbarian" "Venomancer" and "Archosaur" are completely **** sounding and not very appropriate.

Do away with these stupid names already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • mreprize
    mreprize Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    With all the reference material on the net already, changing the names will really hinder new users looking for help.

Why can they not use the same names that MY-EN uses? Is it a copyright issue?
  • infrequentia
    infrequentia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    You don't need to play another version to know "Barbarian" "Venomancer" and "Archosaur" are completely **** sounding and not very appropriate.

Do away with these stupid names already.

They still don't bother me. As long as I can remember the names, I don't mind.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    mreprize wrote: »
    Why can they not use the same names that MY-EN uses? Is it a copyright issue?

Yes. Legally, a translated media (book, game, etc...) belong to the translator and cannot be used without permission. And I doubt Cuibinet would have agreed about it ^_^

So what they did is take the chinese texts and made their own translation.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • delux
    delux Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    tinkus wrote: »
    sticking the name "Archosaur" in the world is the same as slapping an MTV sticker on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

THIS.

I mean, for real. Westernizing names doesn't mean stupidfying names.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • katryn
    katryn Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I agree fully!
    I think the one that really gets me (other than the ones already mentioned.. like the silly "squad" thing. Squad? then where's my gun, hu?) are the "faction" titles. "commisioner"? that doesn't sound like a title you give to someone completely new to your guild. And worst of all.. "executor"?!? I'd be far too embarased to wear such a name! Would you honestly want to team up with an Cleric who is to heal you in an FB... and their title is "Executor"? Pass around the black hoods please.
  • crystalhaztazahs
    crystalhaztazahs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I agree.

The first time I saw squad I was like..."what is this?" Then a realized it's just another name for a party. In most rpg games I've played it was always party.

Venomancer and Barbarian needs to be changed too. It sounds like like something poison-snake-ish and something un-oriental. Werefox or Werebeast would be fine.
  • kao
    kao Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Good idea for a thread...if this develops well, they might make it a sticky. :)
    Anyhow:
    Current name: Archosaur
    Comment: Seriously, WTF? where did this come from? Here are two suggestions for a much better name for this beautiful city.

Suggested names:
    Dragonian City
    City of Dragons

C'mon devs, this name NEEDS to be changed.

I believe "Archosaur" was the name of the original developer of this game before Beijing Perfect World absorbed it so this is more of an homage than random name-giving.
  • kinetikop
    kinetikop Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    *sigh* why do people complain so much? It is a NEW version. Get used to the NEW things in it and stop trying to make it the same as the OLD versions. Let the Dev's do what they have to in order to give us important things, like patches/updates with more content and added anti-bot/**** security.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kinetikop, you seem to slightly misunderstand the purpose of this thread (no I'm not flaming). This thread is about coming up with NEW names for the NEW version that fit the game world context better than the questionable names chosen. This game has a lot of quality to it, and the whole world should reflect that, from the class names to the names of the cities. The team of PWE have said they want this to be the ultimate free to play experience, and one stupid mistake like a bad name could ruin some of the fun. It's not that we don't like the new translations, we just think some of the names could have been chosen a little better to fit the overall quality and flow of this game. Not once have I thought of Archosaur as a city (until I saw it on my map), I thought it was the name of a high level mob at first. The name may fit somehow that I can't see, but it just doesn't SOUND that good in the context of the rest of the game world.

For example, you have Etherblade, good sounding for a city with a large stone sword nearby, But a city with dragon statues all around, that is huge, and grand, should have a grand sounding name to it, seeing as how once one reaches the 20s in level that becomes your basic hub for missions. Archosaur just doesn't fit the city, it just doesn't pack the right kind of punch for when you first go there. For everyone I've talked to who have been there in this version they were wowed by it's size but went WTF to the name. It would take like 5 minutes to change the name of this city, as I can live with Factions and Squads (though I prefer Guilds and party over that) but I find myself cringing whenever I say Archosaur. We want this game to be the highest quality it can be in ALL areas, that is all.

• ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kinetikop wrote: »
    *sigh* why do people complain so much? It is a NEW version. Get used to the NEW things in it and stop trying to make it the same as the OLD versions. Let the Dev's do what they have to in order to give us important things, like patches/updates with more content and added anti-bot/**** security.
    You don't understand the history behind Perfect World English. Everyone was really happy to get an English version of the game when PW-MY came out. Then, we were all disappointed when the version generally sucked a**. The biggest problem of all was the text. For an example of how bad it was, look here. Now we finally have a good, English version of the game being run by the developers, that has a rather good translation of text... and the names suck. It's like a slap in the face to the fans. Sadly, many of the names in PW-MY actually were better. We don't say that out of a fondness of PW-MY. It's very much the opposite. So, new people, please do not talk down on us for complaining about the names. You honestly have no idea what's going on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    Options
    On a side note, since this discussion is a very important one to the fans, (and it seems will go on for a while) can we get this one stickied, as it relates to both general discussion and improving the quality of PWI?

• anima
    anima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't know they will change the name or not, but since the CHN, VIE or MY version of PW, that city's name is Ancient Dragon City. IF YOU ARE NEWBIE, please just read and ponder about it before you type in anything.
    I, myself, think ADC is a cool name to keep. And if you guys say anything about ADC, I think 5/10 gamers understand what city you are talking about, eventhough the city's name is Archosaur or not ^^.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rev
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Bumping to keep other people from making threads based on the same thing, for oranization reasons, as well as adding to it.

Barbarian: Fighter, Defender
    Venomancer: Beast master

• golden0galaxy
    golden0galaxy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    archosaur:

Archaic Dragon City

or

Arcane Dragon City

sounds cool, very fitting, and can still be abbreviated by ADC!!! :D
  • tidustwin
    tidustwin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Bumping to keep other people from making threads based on the same thing, for oranization reasons, as well as adding to it.

Barbarian: Fighter, Defender
    Venomancer: Beast master

No offense, but those names sucks more than Barbarian and Venomancer :p

On topic: Well, i think the names are okay. but the monsters could be changed a bit more.. i mean the scorpions, beetles, wolf, and turtles all look exactly the same from each of the beginning cities they just have different names...o_o thats like my only problem, but whatever the game overall is my favorite f2p mmorpg =D
  • ence
    ence Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    >.> I think I'd have to make a few statements about this. I have on good word that the name Archosaur is to stay. The translators apparently opted for Ancient Dragon City but they were overruled by their bosses.

As for the NPC names, they were taken straight from the Chinese. Chinese has many characters that have different meanings, but due to things such as tones, when transliterated into English, end up sounding the same.

For the record I sent in a request to look into at least altering the names a bit and got a rather positive feedback.

(I argued from the point of view that people would get confused with the similar names, especially with the daily quest and cities the size of Archosaur)

That's just my 2 cents.
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    tidustwin wrote: »
    No offense, but those names sucks more than Barbarian and Venomancer :p

That's not possible, sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    All these ppl giving that overused "its a new ver, so get used to it" reply is totally missing the point. The game is based on chinese mythology and the mobs/npcs/etc should reflect that!

The post of the MTV sticker in the chapel is EXACLTY what we're trying to point out here and that guy deserves a cookie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
This discussion has been closed.