PW Client Direct Download Mirror

2»

Comments

• karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I doubt RQ would go and ruin their reputation over this, so the file must be legit.

The hash thing IS a security measure in itself. True, basic users may not know how to use it, but it's there.

People are still free to download it from any sourse they want. If they feel unsafe with RQ's one, they still have the official DD and BT.

But it's also true that PWE is putting it's credibility at risk if anything was going to happen with an outside-of-site download link they approved. It's unlikely anything will happen, but the risk is there even if it's a small one...
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »
    I doubt RQ would go and ruin their reputation over this, so the file must be legit.

The hash thing IS a security measure in itself. True, basic users may not know how to use it, but it's there.

People are still free to download it from any sourse they want. If they feel unsafe with RQ's one, they still have the official DD and BT.

But it's also true that PWE is putting it's credibility at risk if anything was going to happen with an outside-of-site download link they approved. It's unlikely anything will happen, but the risk is there even if it's a small one...

Thank you for that post. Of course we're not forcing anyone to download it from ours but the excessive bashing we got just because people don't like us was really uncalled for.

As it is the internet is a very unwavering place and even though I'm in RQ I personally prefer torrents
  • matthew
    matthew Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Thank you, Mystic. Your first decent download, lol, j/k. Options are good, glad to have the option. Nobody has to download it, but several people are having problems with the official download, this option is nice to have.
  • massamune
    massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »

This is what I'm saying. Despite what these ever deeply offended RQ people keep saying I never bashed the safety of their download once. I said it's an incorrect precedent, and it is.

But if PWE wants to risk thousands of dollars (or more) in lost revenues due to this kind of potential scandal, there isn't much I can do about it. I'm just trying to make them aware of this.

Anyone remember in MY the stink caused over the false positive in AVG and some other antivirus? It lasted days, it took pages and pages of threads to convince the noobs nothing was actually infected. Imagine the firestorm if a real one got into circulation from an "approved" download.

Again, I'm not saying the RQ people here would do this, I'm more worried about the next guy to post a thread like this, or the one after that.

To the assorted RQ people, quit being so emo, my responses had little to do with you and were more directed at the admins.
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    massamune wrote: »
    This is what I'm saying. Despite what these ever deeply offended RQ people keep saying I never bashed the safety of their download once. I said it's an incorrect precedent, and it is.

But if PWE wants to risk thousands of dollars (or more) in lost revenues due to this kind of potential scandal, there isn't much I can do about it. I'm just trying to make them aware of this.

Anyone remember in MY the stink caused over the false positive in AVG and some other antivirus? It lasted days, it took pages and pages of threads to convince the noobs nothing was actually infected. Imagine the firestorm if a real one got into circulation from an "approved" download.

Again, I'm not saying the RQ people here would do this, I'm more worried about the next guy to post a thread like this, or the one after that.

To the assorted RQ people, quit being so emo, my responses had little to do with you and were more directed at the admins.
    and the attitude shown by the RQ people in this thread, not many are going to download it anyway.
    So you approve of their cursing and swearing in every other post in this thread. Okay.
    As for this thread, it's a sign of mystic's own weakness of position that he feels the need to try and make this some vendetta between myself and RQ.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo you're completely totally not targetting RQ giving an unbiased view of the download as if it were a neutral person. In opposite world T_T

Apparently you guys dish out criticism as you will, when the pages are turned around you get so paranoid. So wth I figure I'll dumb myself down to your stupidity.

Clearly PWE isn't being paranoid enough.

No please as if PW-MY wasn't paranoid enough with the frickin admins and all the locking and **** we couldn't criticize. Wasn't that the whole reason we left PW-MY in the first place
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Thank you RageQuit, it is highly appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • troll
    troll Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    t0yo wrote: »
    ...so paranoid...

rule of thumb - on the internet every random link by any unknown person is potentially a rick roll or a virus.

people are just being cautious, nothing wrong with that.
  • severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2008

The post was made with a small confirmation from xarfox, which was quoted by mystic on the thread.

you keep using the word "Unofficial" let me put this to you bold and clear.

hackers don't need to modify a file and then upload it and put a safe banner on it... no it don't work like that anymore. if you're looking at safe downloadable locations then i can assure you that there's none available in this world. a download link can only be ASSURED as safe (even the official one) because the data packets can be **** along the network easily by any pro hacker out there. That is why methods like MD5 hash were developed, to pick up such illegal modifications. even if you DL the client from the official site and if you are a security paranoid person... you would find there a note saying "please scan the download of viruses or use the MD5 hash (in case of advanced users)"
    (see New york times dated(not exactly sure), around 2~18 may, 2007 for more details on this)

RQ was just helping out, they didn't force anyone to download it... "it was a take it or leave it"

if you're so damned about security issues, don't touch it, go get the official one. but don't question the admin's judgment on security, they're not nubs to approve an "unofficial" (as you say) download link as safe.

p.s. players are a part of the game... not "unofficial"
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • matthew
    matthew Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    troll wrote: »
    rule of thumb - on the internet every random link by any unknown person is potentially a rick roll or a virus.

Speaking of which.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65I0HNvTDH4
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    troll wrote: »

I totally agree with that but not to the point that they have to flame fest the way the thread like Massa and Koz were doing

However people like RagingWind and PolyDeuces were taking it from an unbiased stand point.
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo you're completely totally not targetting RQ giving an unbiased view of the download as if it were a neutral person. In opposite world T_T

Apparently you guys dish out criticism as you will, when the pages are turned around you get so paranoid. So wth I figure I'll dumb myself down to your stupidity.

No please as if PW-MY wasn't paranoid enough with the frickin admins and all the locking and **** we couldn't criticize. Wasn't that the whole reason we left PW-MY in the first place

Nobody was saying anything negative about RQ until they started responding with profanities.

And, MY-EN at least had the sense to tell people only to download from the official site, if you have a fansite, link to the official download. This is what the vast majority of mmos do, and for good reason.

Try, just try, to think objectively. Boasting your own guild download of the client isn't worth the potential scandal involving the next noob to come along and offer something less legitimate.

PWE is in a very special position right now. They're an emerging version and company with a clean slate of a reputation. They should be playing it safe to the point of paranoia to preserve that as long as they can.

Whatever. An old friend of mine had a saying: "you just can't talk to a Heinz pickle." It clearly applies here.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Whatever. An old friend of mine had a saying: "you just can't talk to a Heinz pickle." It clearly applies here.

But you can talk to the hot-dog. He can read your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTaGdXb_LNU
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    Nobody was saying anything negative about RQ until they started responding with profanities.

And, MY-EN at least had the sense to tell people only to download from the official site, if you have a fansite, link to the official download. This is what the vast majority of mmos do, and for good reason.

Try, just try, to think objectively. Boasting your own guild download of the client isn't worth the potential scandal involving the next noob to come along and offer something less legitimate.

PWE is in a very special position right now. They're an emerging version and company with a clean slate of a reputation. They should be playing it safe to the point of paranoia to preserve that as long as they can.

Had I been not in RageQuit I'll admit I would have probably called them some spawn demons ready to **** the **** out of everyone. Considering that totally un-rational point of view I did think objectively but the way you and koz constantly kept moaning at the mods saying that because of this their credibility is going to detoriate.

That was your assumption, now putting it to previous arguments we've had. The PvP PvE incident, sorry for citing this never ending debate we had but I have to so you understand were I'm expression my ideas from.

There we did the same as you are doing now, there we contested the ideas of the admins and hosters of this game and here you are doing the same. You call us out for going against the admins and here we are calling you out for doing the same and you pin it on us boasting about what? A download?

Out of all things we boast about a stupid download link is the least thing to ever boast about. All mystic can do is laugh at himself for wasting bandwidth and spending money

A lot of fansites had their own uploads of pw if I remember correctly and none of them were considered to be fake, like 1pw

So to shorten this **** for you I do agree with people being cautious, of course I'm not some crazed obsessed **** to tell everyone to go here or else they're idiots. Its just the way you rushed to draw conclusions in assimilating RQ with such evil intentions, even though considering the fact that we are somewhat **** and not liked, that we'd do such a thing. Even as far as to oppose admins in this, is totally ridiculous. Especially coming from you and koz who usually worship and suck up to the admins like there is no tomorrow
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Its just the way you rushed to draw conclusions in assimilating RQ with such evil intentions

Where did I associate RQ with offering malicious code? I didn't. I said (about five times now cause your eyesight doesn't seem to be so hot) that by setting this precedent, this PWE "approval" of third party downloads, they're opening the door to the next noob that may very well **** them. If that happened do you really think with all the trolls on this board everyone would just say "oh ok it's not PWE's fault"?? They'd be screaming "Why didn't you screen your download sources!!!" or worse....
    Especially coming from you and koz who usually worship and suck up to the admins like there is no tomorrow

You mean you really don't remember me busting Leode's balls every other week? So far PWE has been doing pretty well on decision making, IMO, but this is a mistake and I'm voicing it. It's no different. I praised MY-EN for (finally) solving the bot problems too, same thing. They do right and I say so, they make mistakes and I don't hesitate to call them on it. The worst they could do is ban me, and that really doesn't faze me at all. I'm not insulting them, nor complimenting them on this decision, I said I think it's wrong and here's why. Big difference.
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    Where did I associate RQ with offering malicious code? I didn't. I said (about five times now cause your eyesight doesn't seem to be so hot) that by setting this precedent, this PWE "approval" of third party downloads, they're opening the door to the next noob that may very well **** them. If that happened do you really think with all the trolls on this board everyone would just say "oh ok it's not PWE's fault"?? They'd be screaming "Why didn't you screen your download sources!!!" or worse....

You mean you really don't remember me busting Leode's balls every other week? So far PWE has been doing pretty well on decision making, IMO, but this is a mistake and I'm voicing it. It's no different. I praised MY-EN for (finally) solving the bot problems too, same thing. They do right and I say so, they make mistakes and I don't hesitate to call them on it. The worst they could do is ban me, and that really doesn't faze me at all. I'm not insulting them, nor complimenting them on this decision, I said I think it's wrong and here's why. Big difference.

Of course I remember you busting Leode's balls every time they pulled their typical ******** from their company. I always used to stand along side you and flame those idiots for the illogical reasons they made. I see your point now relating to 3rd parties being able to upload the game but Isn't it stated on the downloads that their are /approved downloads/ by the main company that are supplied by 3rd parties? Other games have done it as well and even PW-MY, hacking hasn't occurred ever at least in that game because of a client that was **** and backed up by the official company

We hadn't insulted the admins at all in those discussion, at least I don't remember I did although I did flame people who constantly told me to shut up and that I was wrong. That I don't tolerate and the only reason I got so angry in this thread is because when you do the similar things we did you try to absolve yourselves from any responsibility. There is not much difference in the way we argued but I suppose that can go down to one's opinion

The way you were targeting your post was basically to discredit RQ because of their actions on the forums, which heck is even understandable considering some of us got banned. Its the way you voiced such an opinion that made me so irritated because, like I said of how I perspectively take your reasoning as an illogical one because I compare it to your previous statements.

I understand that you're right to assume and give out your opinion on what you want but you would have to agree that some of it did go out of line more then criticism, heck I do it too. I criticized your manner of opinion. Thanks for keeping the level headed discussion though, I really appreciate it and I apologize for slipping some personal comments
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Holy **** that's a lot of downloads. Along with our movie streaming, it's a good thing we have unlimited bandwidth.

901079.74/Unlimited MB

That's bandwidth use for the month, and the month is only half over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • arcane
    edited August 2008
    Bump :P

using this one cuz I dont have winzip :P only winrar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • mystic
    edited August 2008
    Haha. ER, OKAY.

Regardless, glad to help. I'll try to keep up with hosting the updated clients but no promises.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• krisea
    krisea Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Does the download actually workk ?
    [[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guild : UnLimited ( H )
  • mystic
    edited August 2008
    krisea wrote: »
    Does the download actually workk ?

Yes. I've gotten different speeds testing it, but none under 1mb/s.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• arcane
    edited August 2008
    My speed from the direct download from perfectworld.com for 800kb/s, I hit 1.5MB/s using this mirror :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • stryke
    stryke Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    another mirror here : http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=19851
    this one is very good for europe (where I am at least)
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
  • yuedream
    yuedream Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I download every part from the official site and upload on a special host site, for friends, which cannot use the downloader or there speed is on the official patching to slow.

If i patch my game, expectually from 141 to 161, it takes to long. So i download the manual patch. I don't know, that the people have, they work great.

(PS: Win for the person who write over ten times a text, that has everytime the same meaning. I laughed so much.)
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Feel free to post new threads about this topic, but please try to check the post date on threads, this one is from 11 months ago which makes it a necro b:shockedb:victory
  • Sierron - Harshlands
    Sierron - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Oh, i didn't saw that. It showed it as the newest topic at the forumlist, so i thought this is one. Sorry.

But the way, is there a way to be a official mirror?
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Oh, i didn't saw that. It showed it as the newest topic at the forumlist, so i thought this is one. Sorry.

But the way, is there a way to be a official mirror?

If you have a gaming site you can always e-mail our marketing department and ask