Stop using abbreviations from other regions!

Options
shinigami
shinigami Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
As the topic states It would be great if the people who played the game in another region stopped using their names of the classes when writing in the forums. It's really confusing when you read a thread and someone writes about a class that doesn't exist!

Thank you.
Post edited by shinigami on

Comments

• soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    You have to wait till people get used to the new names, just as i posted somewhere.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well, I say that at least 80% of the people here are or were from PW-MY. It would be rather confusing if I started speaking about VMs instead of WFs.
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    it will come naturally when time passes when there will be more newcomers from other games. The game isn't even out now that's why most are using the old names.
    i forced myself to use the new ones now. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I gotta agree, better start using new abbreviations for classes and such since they have changed.

Easier for all.

Wonder what the dungeons will be called now since Fu Ben(correct me if written wrong) will be completely unknown to most players.

Couple examples:
    T-19? sounds like a Terminator lol.
    D-19?

Guess one of those, tablet or dungeon for short.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • mikoto
    mikoto Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I like the old names better, so I personally rather use the old names. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    well, seeing as "fb" was still being used even on the My-En server, maybe it can survive here too :D
    I think it could be sth like ins19 (short from instance) or dng19 (dungeon? sounds kinda like "dang" though xD)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    mikoto wrote: »
    I like the old names better, so I personally rather use the old names. ;)

Yeah,problem with that will be that most of the players wont have a clue what you are talking about :D

FB was used in MY-EN server because of the malaysians playing there i think, but here it will be meaningless abbreviation to everyone else but to those who changed server.

Heh, i can imagine two sets of abbreviations filling the world chat...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • lena
    lena Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    shinigami wrote: »
    As the topic states It would be great if the people who played the game in another region stopped using their names of the classes when writing in the forums. It's really confusing when you read a thread and someone writes about a class that doesn't exist!

Thank you.

Like you said as the topic states but majority of us have moved over here from MY-EN so its going to take awhile for those of us that have moved over to use the new names something we have all got to learn so please be patient with those that are stil getting use to the new names
    You Were Never Meant To Arrive In Hell Looking Like A Fashion Plate...Rather To Slide In Backwards..Glass Of Wine In Hand..Hair In Disarray..Totally Exhausted.... Screaming man what a ride !!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • infrequentia
    infrequentia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Just nod and pretend you understand every word they are saying. :rolleyes:
  • merulz
    merulz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    It really doesn't matter, as long as you know what's going on.

Get on IRC fool!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect World IRC:
    Server: irc.deltaanime.net
    Channel: #pwint
  • arkaria
    arkaria Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I'm going to use whatever abbreviations I damn well please. The new names are stupid. Everyone keeps saying it, everyone keeps hoping they'll change them. There were threads on this on the MY EN forum. Nobody likes most of the new names. Venomancer? Wtf IS that?!

P.S. I think we should adopt Barguy's idea for Snuggle Runs.

Ex: Pm Arkaria to help with your SR 19-59

Snuggle Run. Has a nice ring to it ;)

In fact a few people were supporting the idea, and (myself included) intend to say this over world chat until it sticks :D
  • lena
    edited July 2008
    Options

Nods :D:p
    You Were Never Meant To Arrive In Hell Looking Like A Fashion Plate...Rather To Slide In Backwards..Glass Of Wine In Hand..Hair In Disarray..Totally Exhausted.... Screaming man what a ride !!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    arkaria wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying it, everyone keeps hoping they'll change them.
    Keep hoping, they won't
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackfire
    blackfire Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »
    "I realize that some of you aren't really feeling the new class names. I could go into all the fine details as to why we changed this and why we changed that. However the bottom line is that we really feel that Perfect World International is a fresh version of Perfect World. We wanted to complete that sense by localizing the class names in addition to the game's text."

I think that PWI's eagerness to make the game looking like a new game is overkill. There is almost no new content to PWI, so why should we pretend that it is new by changing only the names? Most people transfer here from MY-EN not because of the new content, but because of server lag, GM inactions, or game imbalances, etc. So it's really unnecessary to change the good old and well-accepted names to cause confusions in gamers.

BTW, PWI boasts that it is more English like/friendly. But is Venomancer more english-like than WereFox? I guess not.
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    To those who come from My-EN: remember what they said why they changed class, location and mob names?
    Because they were afraid PH translators could sue them for "stealing" their translation. Maybe that's the reason here, too.

And personally i don't see how werefox is more english-like than venomancer. People always complain over smallest things. I could care less about the class names as long as the game doesn't lag and the content isn't engrish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackfire
    blackfire Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Suing over copying the conversations or quest descriptions, maybe. But suing for using just the same class names, no way.
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    you know how they say, better safe than sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikoto
    mikoto Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I'm going to use whatever abbreviations I damn well please. The new names are stupid. Everyone keeps saying it, everyone keeps hoping they'll change them. There were threads on this on the MY EN forum. Nobody likes most of the new names. Venomancer? Wtf IS that?!

In fact a few people were supporting the idea, and (myself included) intend to say this over world chat until it sticks :D

I like the way you think. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sahrai
    sahrai Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet"
    Official PWI irc: irc.deltaanime.net #pwint
    IdleRPG with hilarious customizations included. No chat penalty; others remain the same.
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    shinigami wrote: »

Thank you.

The games not even out calm down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I agree with Shini.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • caribbean
    caribbean Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Let's get use to the new ones;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Caribbean is a cold blooded reptilian like an amphibian.
  • lena
    edited July 2008
    Options
    So we have BM for Blade Master WZ for Wizard VM for Venomancers BB for Barbarians CL for Clerics and AR for archers ??? is this ok abbreviations or are there are other ways of having abbrevs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The one that bothers me the most is "FB" .. It's Chinese. Makes no sense for English. Let's call it "ID" for instance Dungeon.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • lena
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ark wrote: »
    The one that bothers me the most is "FB" .. It's Chinese. Makes no sense for English. Let's call it "ID" for instance Dungeon.

LOL thats a good point um yeah ID sounds good lol...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • caribbean
    caribbean Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Id!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Caribbean is a cold blooded reptilian like an amphibian.
  • glider
    glider Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    thom wrote: »
    Yeah,problem with that will be that most of the players wont have a clue what you are talking about :D

FB was used in MY-EN server because of the malaysians playing there i think, but here it will be meaningless abbreviation to everyone else but to those who changed server.

Heh, i can imagine two sets of abbreviations filling the world chat...

The problem with that problem is that 'most of the players' are us, from other regions. ;)
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    hypnos wrote: »
    Well, I say that at least 80% of the people here are or were from PW-MY. It would be rather confusing if I started speaking about VMs instead of WFs.

I would ask that everyone start using new abbreviations if you can.

We want to make it easier for people to join this community. Using old abbreviations that confuse new players will only conflict with that movement.

After all, we want this community to grow, don't we? ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blue
    blue Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options

And as I've said from the MY-EN forums, I intend to whole heartily support the concept of snuggle runs. 'Pm Azurecut for help with snuggle runs 19-59' :cool:

Still not going to use J'Adore's codename for Replacement dolls though (Although I'll admit I laughed)
  • shao
    shao Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »
    I would ask that everyone start using new abbreviations if you can.

We want to make it easier for people to join this community. Using old abbreviations that confuse new players will only conflict with that movement.

After all, we want this community to grow, don't we? ;)

I agree using the new abbreviations will help totally new players to PW and help those from MY and other official servers to adapt more easily before the game is actually launched. This is a New server, New company running it, New abbreviations. Personally ill be using the new ones and if folks disagree with it they basically have 2 options , shut up about the abbr. or go back to which ever server they were on. The Administration is not going to change it or the main web page.
    I amar prestar aen,
    han mathon ne nen,
    han mathon ne chae,
    a han noston ned'wilith.

The world is changed,
    I feel it in the water,
    I feel it in the earth,
    I smell it in the air.

Kia Kaha
    S.S.D.D.
This discussion has been closed.