Class Names

Options
epiphany
epiphany Posts: 69 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
What does everyone think of class names? Personally, coming from the MY-EN version it'll be weird calling the classes by different names, with the exception of Archers (they must be the special ones :p ).

Warrior = Blademaster
Mage = Wizard
Archer = Archer
Priest = Cleric
Werefox = Venomancer
Werebeast = Barbarian
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chaos
    chaos Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Yeah, I think the weirdest change was the Venomancer one, cant just call it WF anymore
  • massamune
    massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Blademaster isn't so good. I think to keep it neat and simple (inline with the others) they should have gone with something like Fighter instead (since they seem to eschew the MY-EN class names.)

Venomancer is horrible. Simply horrible. Tamer would work, anything fox related would work, the wood/poison element may be at the center of their skill base, but it's far from their distinguishing feature.

The rest I can easily adopt, they're standard for the genre.
  • jar
    jar Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    lol should have kept class names as they were, human warrior, mage, elf archer, elf priest, werefox, and werebeast lol they actually fit the characters better then whats up there now
  • ambie
    ambie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I want the old names back, they was more simple to type and remember.
    (is gonna keep calling them the old names)
  • iknowmymom
    iknowmymom Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    AH, well i am sure we have a long time to get use to their new names seeing how CB is a month away still...but it might be weird calling them those names i agree.
  • jar
    jar Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    lol ive played PW to long to call them somethin else, lol so just keeping it to like WR,WF,WB lol abreviations ftw
  • epiphany
    epiphany Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Eeeeekkk... Venomancer and Barbarian will be hard for me. I personally think that "Beastmaster" sounds better than "Barbarian."

* crosses finger and hopes PWi takes my suggestion into consideration *
  • roxy
    roxy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    To be honest, I like the old names better than the new ones they made up. o_o
    6to4uv.jpg

To the world, you may be one person
    But to one person, you may be the world
  • hien
    hien Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    yeah, how would we abbreviate WF and WB?
    Vens and Barbs? :confused:
  • ambie
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Blademaster =BM
    Wizard=Wiz (hehe wiz..)
    Archer = Arch or arc
    Cleric= Clec or clc
    Venomancer= VM
    Barbarian= BB
  • katora
    katora Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I think its a nice change. May as well have new names to go with a new server =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lajer
    lajer Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I could careless bout most of the name-changes, figures they always have to make something new>.>? neway, I happen to really like venomacer really fits the WF :P

That char is so ebul!
  • zezix
    zezix Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I personally dont like how they just made Elf Archer into Archer. Whats it gonna be now? A? That seems kind of silly to me.

I'm not sure if anyone posted that already because I didn't read the whole thread yet.
  • darkeva
    darkeva Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Names do sound lame, but there's nothing to keep since PWE did not translate MY-EN PW. I just agree that we should use the new names and come up with new abbreviations. I found it rather lame that people used Chinese abbreviations or names for items in MY-EN PW when they could had easily been in English.
  • ellesian
    ellesian Posts: 14
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I don't like the names 'Blademaster' and ' Venomancer' at all.
    Blademaster reminds me of Warcraft 3. Sounds so weird. O_o
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I realize that some of you aren't really feeling the new class names. I could go into all the fine details as to why we changed this and why we changed that. However the bottom line is that we really feel that Perfect World International is a fresh version of Perfect World. We wanted to complete that sense by localizing the class names in addition to the game's text.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zezix
    zezix Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I strongly agree with that. This is not Perfect World China, or Malaysia. This is the awesome, great, wonferfull Perfect World English ! ! ! With the class names and city names changed, I think it is going to make this game even better then it was before.

Great job so far guys =]
  • ambie
    edited July 2008
    Options
    *unenthusiastic woot* wait what do i mean? WOOT!!!
    Thats better lets not be negative about the names people ;3 and remember, I"LL! be there to distract you from the names whahahahaha.
  • mental
    mental Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    yeah..i think..international may keep the legitim names of characters..or make some poll to see..what people wants about the names =)

im Warrior..and well warrior enclose all the heavy equipment and heavy weapons in game...
    blademaster...like MuOnline, talks a lil bit more of swords..than axes...

Anyways..i going to play this International. ;)
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The only name i'm not happy with is the Blademaster, since they use axes, spears and fists, too.
    As for Venomancer, i'm actually glad it's not called Werefox anymore, it was weird seeing a bat/deer/catgirl being called foxy <.<

IMHO, Barbarian is very fitting for werebeasts :P
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • irrlicht
    irrlicht Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I like the idea of making new class names!

Beside that, some do sound wierd though. Especialy the "Venomancer" sounds way cruel for a Werefox in my opinion ;) Werefox was appropriated since the class simply can transform into a FOX :D

My idea for the class would be "Beastmaster" or something!

Game on,
    Irrlicht
  • panda
    panda Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The class names look okay to me! I'll be an Archer. o_^
  • sahrai
    sahrai Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with the new names. Sure, some may leave you scratching your head as you wonder what they were thinking, but does it matter?

A name is just a name, it shouldn't change your perception or feel of the character at all.

Besides, you cannot compare apples with oranges. They just aren't the same.
    Official PWI irc: irc.deltaanime.net #pwint
    IdleRPG with hilarious customizations included. No chat penalty; others remain the same.
  • irrlicht
    irrlicht Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    sahrai wrote: »
    A name is just a name, it shouldn't change your perception or feel of the character at all.

It's not like the names are bad at all. But since it is a Roleplay Game as well after all I feel wierd if a class supposed to be charming enough to tame animals is called "Venomancer" :D
    But that's just my 2 cents and only a suggestion.

Game on!
    Irrlicht
  • sahrai
    sahrai Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    irrlicht wrote: »
    It's not like the names are bad at all. But since it is a Roleplay Game as well after all I feel wierd if a class supposed to be charming enough to tame animals is called "Venomancer" :D
    But that's just my 2 cents and only a suggestion.

Game on!
    Irrlicht

Perhaps you miss the point of the character origins then, as they are not meant to be purely "charming" to animals. They are meant to seductive, deceptive and poisonous. In my eyes, Venomancer as a name is much more fitting than 'Werefox'
    Official PWI irc: irc.deltaanime.net #pwint
    IdleRPG with hilarious customizations included. No chat penalty; others remain the same.
  • merulz
    merulz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Aww, dude. I didn't know they changed the class names! Venomancer is terrible, but I can live with the rest.

I like being a Cleric more then a Priest... I hate sounding so religious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect World IRC:
    Server: irc.deltaanime.net
    Channel: #pwint
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well, when i first read aobut a venomacer i was like "eww what is that" but now i think it's fitting.
    Isn't Cleric as religious as Priest? /hmm
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • merulz
    merulz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Not in my eyes :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect World IRC:
    Server: irc.deltaanime.net
    Channel: #pwint
  • itch
    itch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The names are fine in my opinion. I can get used to the Barbarian name. Other than that, the Blademaster is the only name that doesn't fit the Warrior class because it uses a variety of different weapons but meh, I'm sure we can all live with it :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The new names are sweet. The Blademaster is a little wierd, considering that 80% of them use axes... But, with a few buffs to the sword class, perhaps that could change.

Yay for new names. :)
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
This discussion has been closed.