Name toons

zeevhaora
zeevhaora Posts: 85 Arc User
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I know and understand perfectly why names that a character has used get stuck with him after he changes his name.

But who was the genius who put it sometime between 2017 and now that even deleted character names can not be used? And what was the excuse (ridiculous, for sure)?

I have names that I have chosen for possible new characters from a long time ago and now with new classes about to arrive I discover that no matter if I delete the characters with these names, they will be unable anyway.

Not just my personal annoyance with that kind of dumb decision, but how can the game be somehow viable with completely blank servers that have all the possible names for the very rare new toons created being taken? Or the developers of the game have some fetish for characters with additional characters or other little tricks to make a decent name?

In my view, PWI seems sabotaged with all kinds of nuisance for its players / customer decide not to play this game anymore. F***ing with this game is not an accident, it's a plan.

Comments

• gunter#5451
    gunter#5451 Posts: 68 Arc User
    Discussion can be closed. Names can be used on other characters unless someone else claimed a name right before you; tested earlier this year.
  • zeevhaora
    edited March 2019
    Not what a factionmate clain he done. Not what support told after some tickets, gunter. :(

Plus, not I have to complain by myself, but is idiot rule cant a toon no take back his old name after renamed, and need, while want, use tricks like capitol i instead L (or vice-versa) or add random letters after or before name.

• happyhail
    happyhail Posts: 129 Arc User
    If a character is deleted, the name may be reused.

If a character is renamed, the name may not be reused.
  • zeevhaora
    Happyhail and Gunter, I really wish this issue no exist, and I'm wrong about came to whiny with it in forums and you two are right with it.

However, this was past of talk with customer service early:

me, at 03/19/2019 05:42 PM:
    "This means even if I delete a toon to release its name I cant use it again, anymore, anytime?"

Ehdione, customer service, at 03/19/2019 07:21 PM:
    "You are correct, you won't be able to reuse the character name anymore even if you delete the character."

Then, we have two options, and both are bad to game in general. Or my complainment have real motives and PWI devs decide for make a big load of **** to who wish make new toons, on the eve of a new expansion will bring new classes and make tons of people consider a return to game, or then you two are right and customer service is wrong, so bad cause employers are untrustful and unable to give a right explanation about customer doubts.
  • skarthos
    skarthos Posts: 58 Arc User
    @zeevhaora A few weeks ago one of my faction mates had a name on another toon and deleted that character and used the id stone on his main and it worked. Was talking in fac chat on how he wished the timer for the deletion was more precise than 1 day.
  • skarthos
    skarthos Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @zeevhaora as a test i just created a toon with a name that i had on a toon i deleted a few months ago and it worked. I'll delete it and see if i can use the name after 7 days.
  • gunter#5451
    gunter#5451 Posts: 68 Arc User
    lol and I made a toon with a name someone else used and deleted so the name wasn't bound to an account.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    I can't say I know the answer so like others I'll wait for a conclusion on this.

Will be good to know

Thanks.
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    It's not uncommon for customer support to give inaccurate information on certain subjects. Most of the time these guys are covering support for multiple games and don't necessarily spend much time playing the games they provide support for. Usually they direct people here to the forums where experienced players can help them instead.

I don't think they've changed the way deleted character names work recently. I haven't checked myself but seems like a few people above me have.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • toxic241
    toxic241 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    It's a shame that pserver devs know how to delete renamed names from /uniquenamed/ so that they may be reused but an official company does not :(

Requires access to server files/database which probably only the senior GMs have so you'd have to hope they see this thread.
    Auragen - Kylin - HarshlandsxDeaThStriKe - ChinaTown - Lost CityOld Videos
  • fededomino
    fededomino Posts: 243 Arc User
    About to get a toon / Character name , it is possible to google ( Myth name ) on search line mabye it can solve it a little , this was only meant to get idea of a name , if in trouble to figure out a name
  • sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    Or check the whois info from our favorite spammers, free to use names. :D
  • baseaddress
    baseaddress Posts: 202 Arc User
    toxic241 wrote: »
    It's a shame that pserver devs know how to delete renamed names from /uniquenamed/ so that they may be reused but an official company does not :(

Requires access to server files/database which probably only the senior GMs have so you'd have to hope they see this thread.

China doesnt allow them to modify database. I bet GMs don't know how to do it correctly anyway.
  • phage69
    phage69 Posts: 112 Arc User
    U can indeed Delete a character and use its name just tested it but make sure to wait the time necessary for the character to fully delete u cannot do it while the toon is in the pending delete status. When renaming using a stone u cannot use a previous name even if that person has changed their name. Devs just dont know their game cuz chances are they dont even play it they just work there.
  • alterfication
    alterfication Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    you can but they REMOVED SOME SYMBOLS from use so certain characters names cannot be reused even if you delete them period what dont you people understand. and its been an issue for quite awhile im not sure why its brought up now