GM asking for password?

sensualsoul
sensualsoul Posts: 282 Arc User
So I did a live chat do to a log in issue I was having yesterday and got a GM, amazing in it's self I know right?! Well this GM ask me for not just my log in name (email) he wanted my password. I didn't give it because I know that the long standing info. given us since the game first started had always been, "A GM will NEVER ask you for your password." So why did this GM ask me for the info. we have been told for years no GM would ever ask us for?! If the policy has changed why haven't I heard of this? FYI, the GM didn't really help me, I just logged on and it worked on it's own, his fix was for me to use my email instead of the username I have used for years and years, I just had to wait for the game to log me off. And I just want to state, I still think Arc sucks hairy toes and feel a lot of issues with logging in to the game lay with it. Anyways, remember don't give ANYONE your password! Better safe then sorry!

Comments

• phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    I cannot imagine that's a good thing. Live Chat even. It's not like someone was faking being a GM in game, but you actually contacted the support desk correctly. It definitely throws flags up for me.​​
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,799 Community Moderator
    I cannot imagine that's a good thing. Live Chat even. It's not like someone was faking being a GM in game, but you actually contacted the support desk correctly. It definitely throws flags up for me.​​

Agreed.

@sensualsoul good for stick to your guns. I would have taken a SS and asked for this to be checked out as well. This is also my bug bear about PWE. Saying one thing but not like sticking to it.

Keep safe.
  • phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    Pretty sure SylenThunder put the instructions in that support sticky of his​​
  • heerohex#3018
    Its easy to do.

Requires a little more work to get it to patch with out Arc.
  • sensualsoul
    edited June 2017
    Thx guys! I do know how to do the log on without Arc but was not on my normal PC. I just had surgery earlier this month and am using a laptop while recoving and haven't bother with setting thing up on it since it's not the PC I normally game on. Guess I'll have to set it up too. What a bother! But really they should take a hard look at policy and either update us on their changes to it or stick to it if there are no changes!

@heero200 I should of taken a screenshot but with all the meds in my systems my thinking process it a bit slow and I closed out the chat before it dawned on me to do that. But yeah wanted to post about it since I felt it was a bit fishy. He asked for my user name and password, ie credentials as he put it. I asked him what he ment by credentials and he said my email address and password... Never ever had a GM ask me for that before. Anyways the rule has always been NEVER, EVER give out your password! So I didn't and you shouldn't either! And by you I don't mean you heero200 I mean everyone. XD
  • heerohex#3018
    @sensualsoul with how often I have done that Its just my first call now.

Good to point out tho.
  • nunuator
    nunuator Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    If a GM in live support does anything but offer to create a ticket for you something is up...
    Most likely someone created a mirror site and with all the meds and stuff you're on you may have clicked on said mirror site.

Or the less likely thing that would not surprise​ me is that they h@cked into the arc server and were stealing info from players going into live support

if I am not mistaken once you connect they will verify email and maybe a security question but that's it.
  • ailiadrake
    ailiadrake Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Thx guys! I do know how to do the log on without Arc but was not on my normal PC. I just had surgery earlier this month and am using a laptop while recoving and haven't bother with setting thing up on it since it's not the PC I normally game on. Guess I'll have to set it up too. What a bother! But really they should take a hard look at policy and either update us on their changes to it or stick to it if there are no changes!

@heero200 I should of taken a screenshot but with all the meds in my systems my thinking process it a bit slow and I closed out the chat before it dawned on me to do that. But yeah wanted to post about it since I felt it was a bit fishy. He asked for my user name and password, ie credentials as he put it. I asked him what he ment by credentials and he said my email address and password... Never ever had a GM ask me for that before. Anyways the rule has always been NEVER, EVER give out your password! So I didn't and you shouldn't either! And by you I don't mean you heero200 I mean everyone. XD

I'm curious, after you refused to hand over your password, did you leave the chat immediately, or did this GM say something?

EDIT: Just realized that my question might break the rules. Sorry if that happened. I just wanted to know if this GM "insisted" or not. Nothing specific. Because if it did, then there's really something wrong with the situation
    Post edited by ailiadrake on
  • heerohex#3018
    @kalystconquerer#0876 I know this is not your area of support but please could you just pass this on?

Im slightly worried that this may be the case, but confident that the user has done the correct thing here.

Thanks.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    I'll need some information, since I checked in with CS just now and that's definitely unusual! I'll send you a PM and I'll do a follow up, so hopefully something like this doesn't happen again.

As always as a good rule of thumb - never give out your password to anyone!
  • coopoor
    coopoor Posts: 50 Arc User
    let me tell you something a gm don t need anyone log in info they alrewady have it a gm can get on your account my account an any account they chose to do so in game. if you are asked for account info you are setting yourself up to be scammed hard
  • xwhitefrostx
    xwhitefrostx Posts: 45 Arc User
    yeah they always say that: "We will never ask for your account info" so it's a lil weird when it happens in live chat XD Good thing u didn't give it tho! There is probs new players that might have after a gm tell em to in their live chat, lets hope it doesn't happen to anyone else :)
    vFDFy6t.gif
  • tricksie
    tricksie Posts: 189 Arc User
    Maybe they were asking for the answer to your security question?​​
    z56fd27dc94746.gif
    egg-44.gif <~ these need to come back into the CS.

• sensualsoul
    @tricksie Nope the GM never asked for my security question, that I would not have found odd since it would of verified who I am and that I'm not the one trying to get on someone elses account.

@kalystconquerer I replied to your email sorry I really don't have a lot more info. for you. Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me. <3

Remember everyone like kalystconquerer said NEVER give out your password to ANYONE. Be safe.
  • sensualsoul
    Just an update kalystconquerer did solve the issue and assures me it won't happen again. So yeah don't ever, ever give out you account info. GMs don't need it if you do a live chat or ticket. :) This thread can now be closed. Thanks Mods.
  • heerohex#3018
    Closed... O Wait...

Well good to know as well.
This discussion has been closed.